Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
62 user(s) are online (39 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 1
Guests: 61

JCvoter, more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: New Amazon HQ
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Who knew there was a homeless crisis? The 8 years previous to January 2017 we never heard about such things. The people were living large with free cell phones, free rent and healthcare. If we could have only paid off everyone's tuition debt that would have been the cherry on the progressive agenda.

Quote:

Hamparkvet wrote:
But I thought there was so much winning going on that EVERYONE has a well paying job now?

Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

srs7191 wrote:
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:

Actually.... my post was sarcastic in nature. I was hoping to get some of the left wing / progressive / communists on the site to respond? In typical fashion, they remain silent, because when one of their own (Bezos/WaPo) is caught in an issue wear facts challenge left wing agenda / dogma.

Ah, my bad, sarcasm doesn't travel well over text.

I was quite baffled by the post myself. The sarcasm may have been a little too cloaked. I missed it entirely.

The situation in Seattle and in Portland has gotten quite dire. Aggressive panhandling is quite common, drug addiction is rampant, and both cities have seemingly given up on a real solution to either problem. The previous mayor of Portland didn't even run for reelection. Both cities keep extending protections of the homeless population with policies and edicts that go against the best interests of businesses and other city residents. And, let's be clear, no one is arguing for either city to turn their back on the homeless population, just that it find better (and, effective) ways to address the issues.

Posted on: 5/17 15:53
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From HamiltonPARK
Group:
Registered Users
But I thought there was so much winning going on that EVERYONE has a well paying job now?

Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

srs7191 wrote:
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:

Actually.... my post was sarcastic in nature. I was hoping to get some of the left wing / progressive / communists on the site to respond? In typical fashion, they remain silent, because when one of their own (Bezos/WaPo) is caught in an issue wear facts challenge left wing agenda / dogma.

I was quite baffled by the post myself. The sarcasm may have been a little too cloaked. I missed it entirely.

The situation in Seattle and in Portland has gotten quite dire. Aggressive panhandling is quite common, drug addiction is rampant, and both cities have seemingly given up on a real solution to either problem. The previous mayor of Portland didn't even run for reelection. Both cities keep extending protections of the homeless population with policies and edicts that go against the best interests of businesses and other city residents. And, let's be clear, no one is arguing for either city to turn their back on the homeless population, just that it find better (and, effective) ways to address the issues.

Posted on: 5/17 11:11
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

srs7191 wrote:
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:

Posted on: 5/17 10:21
Print Top

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:

Posted on: 5/17 8:18
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

srs7191 wrote:
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
Meanwhile back in Seattle....

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busines ... s-tax-20180515-story.html

I can't believe all the people that want to help Newark at the expense of Seattle... pretty obvious what is going on and its Jeff Bezos shirking his social responsibilities.

Jeff shirking his social responsibilities?

Seattle caused this chronic homeless situation with strict zoning laws and restrictions that stop anything other than luxury housing from being built (sounds familiar).

They created the problem, now they're trying to send the bill to others. Wish I could do that.

Posted on: 5/17 7:46
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
Quote:

psyop wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

psyop wrote:
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

psyop wrote:
Amazon wasn't looking for the opinions of clueless bigots from Jersey?

Webmaster please delete response #27 from psyopit it has no bearing on the topic. It is offending to the citizens of New Jersey.

It is sad how crazy, reactionary and unhinged some people on this site have become. We could be talking about liking or disliking vanilla ice cream... and some whacko would call you a racist for not including chocolate ice cream as part of the conversation.

I simply replied about 2 people on this message board who are both known for posting bigoted comments, one of which constantly posts things that are questionably factual at best.
A bit harsh probably but not untrue.

It is your opinion that my comments are bigoted, personally, I believe your opinions are bullying. Anyone that has a different point of view you attack. In a plural society people do have different opinions. This country is not ISIS where only one set of facts are recognized. So lets keep it that way.

Your past posts speak for themselves so I don't need to defend anything.

Sorry for the off topic to others reading this, I'm done responding in this thread.

And you continue to be a self-righteous douche bag. Thanks for playing along in the game. Sorry you have no self control... though it is not surprising.

I continue to follow my own beliefs and not drink the Kool-Aid. If that bothers you, then you have the problem, not me.

I am not sure why you cut my last quote from another thread and used it in this thread???? That comment was not directed at you??? Very confused at your behavior?

Posted on: 5/17 7:41
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Earth
Group:
Registered Users
Murphy has already amped up taxes on companies playing off the reductions granted by Trump's administration.
As to Newark, all of New Jersey kicks in for that problem child since Gibson was Mayor. Judging by the Seattle backlash I wonder if Bezos will step into
the nanny state that is Jersey and in addition become a helicopter parent for its many wayward ward cities.

Posted on: 5/16 19:57
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

srs7191 wrote:
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:

I can't believe all the people that want to help Newark at the expense of Seattle... pretty obvious what is going on and its Jeff Bezos shirking his social responsibilities.

Seattle caused this chronic homeless situation with strict zoning laws and restrictions that stop anything other than luxury housing from being built (sounds familiar).

They created the problem, now they're trying to send the bill to others. Wish I could do that.

This. Plus, super liberal policies that encourage other young, homeless people to come live in Seattle among the same kind. My last trip to Seattle a year ago was a really sad one: the city is literally overrun with people drugged out of their minds and lots of homeless people who seem to have more rights and privileges than the average citizen. It is a sad state of affairs, and (understandably) the city residents have grown tired of their local government ineffectiveness.

The city refuses to be held accountable and instead is trying to milk their large companies for more money to pay for their own mess.

I know two couples that prior to moving to Seattle were serious liberals and now think of themselves as anything but that. The failure of liberal policies to protect the interests and rights of residents other than homeless people has caused a lot of resentment and discord. After three days visiting last summer, I doubt I’ll be going back anytime soon.

Posted on: 5/16 19:09
Print Top

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:

Posted on: 5/16 16:00
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
Quote:

psyop wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

psyop wrote:
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

psyop wrote:

Webmaster please delete response #27 from psyopit it has no bearing on the topic. It is offending to the citizens of New Jersey.

It is sad how crazy, reactionary and unhinged some people on this site have become. We could be talking about liking or disliking vanilla ice cream... and some whacko would call you a racist for not including chocolate ice cream as part of the conversation.

I simply replied about 2 people on this message board who are both known for posting bigoted comments, one of which constantly posts things that are questionably factual at best.

It is your opinion that my comments are bigoted, personally, I believe your opinions are bullying. Anyone that has a different point of view you attack. In a plural society people do have different opinions. This country is not ISIS where only one set of facts are recognized. So lets keep it that way.

Sorry for the off topic to others reading this, I'm done responding in this thread.

And you continue to be a self-righteous douche bag. Thanks for playing along in the game. Sorry you have no self control... though it is not surprising.

I continue to follow my own beliefs and not drink the Kool-Aid. If that bothers you, then you have the problem, not me.

Posted on: 5/16 15:57
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 5/16 10:59
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Obviously, I’m rooting for Newark in all of this. The benefits are quite large to the community as a whole. Though, I am certainly wary of the downsides that could come with it.

Prudential built itself a new headquarters in Newark which left their old place abandoned. It’s possible Amazon would only have to do some touch-up work to modernize the internals and they’d be good to go...

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I am surprised that Kearny was not considered, it has a large open spaces for development.

Unless you are referencing South Kearny, which has no mass transit, streets in terrible shape and no residential area, I’m unsure of what you are referencing.

Quote:

Sutherland wrote:
I like Newark too, in fact I love Newark. I'm born and raised there. For a lot of reasons I think Newark, could be a good choice. But i don't think it's going to happen. My guess is going to be Atlanta. The airport is better and the cost of living a lot less than anywhere in the NYC tri state area. But I'll still keep my fingers crossed.

Quote:

jc201jc wrote:
i like Newark - low cost of living, easily accessible to NYC and EWR, lots of good colleges in the area (Princeton/Stevens/Rutgers/NJIT, plus all the NYC schools).

Atlanta pulled itself out with its bigotry towards the trans community and their absurd stance with Delta.

With Amazon’s Audible residing in Newark already, I don’t know if that is a hindrance or a benefit. I'd like to think it is a benefit.

Posted on: 5/15 15:28
Dos A Cero
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Earth
Group:
Registered Users
Hopefully New Jersey is paying attention. Amazon is bucking up.
http://money.cnn.com/2018/05/13/news/ ... on-hq2-seattle/index.html

Posted on: 5/15 14:46
Print Top

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
the location of their warehouses will have little to do with the location of their HQ2. the jobs at HQ2 will require web developers, finance people, marketing folks - these jobs will be filled by recent college grads, not by people working in the distribution centers.

i think Newark has a good shot. it's more "up and coming" than any of the other locations. they can tap into the NYC job market without physically being in Manhattan

Posted on: 5/2 16:15
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Earth
Group:
Registered Users
I don't know if this is indicative of anything related to Amazon's search, but there are four of their fulfillment centers right off of exit 12 on the turnpike. That's a nice little cluster.

Posted on: 4/28 14:34
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
I am surprised that they didn't think to offer the vast south side 4 distribution vehicles to hop onto 78, coupled with a transportation link [Lightrail] to Penn sta.

Amazon could literally be it's own City within the city of Newark!!
[none of the other places that are in the finals could offer that as easily]

Posted on: 4/28 0:32
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users

Newark releases Amazon HQ2 proposal highlighting the city's diversity, tech infrastructure

The New Jersey city released the document after a February lawsuit requested access to the proposal. Amazon is expected to make a decision this year.

by - April 26, 2018 1:59 PM

On Wednesday, the city released its proposal to host the e-commerce giant's second headquarters after resident Steven Wronko sued for access to it in February. The proposal, titled "Yes, Newark," is more than 200 pages long and highlights the city's diverse population, tech infrastructure and transportation systems. It also offers suggested locations for the headquarters and touts more than 50 pages of letters of recommendations. 

The city redacted the financial incentives it is offering the Seattle e-tailer. (Here are parts onetwo and three of Newark's bid.) 

Amazon has been on the hunt for a city to host its second headquarters since September and plans to make a selection later this year. In January, the company unveiled 20 finalists after vetting proposals from 238 communities in the US, Canada and Mexico. The company has said HQ2 will match its Seattle headquarters in size and importance, and the company expects to spend more than $5 billion on the project.

https://www.cnet.com/news/newark-relea ... sity-tech-infrastructure/

Posted on: 4/26 20:37
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

psyop wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

psyop wrote:
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

psyop wrote:

Posted on: 1/21 20:31
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

psyop wrote:
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

psyop wrote:

Posted on: 1/21 20:17
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
7 reasons why Newark has a shot at winning Amazon

Joan Verdon, Staff Writer
Jan. 18, 2018

[FILTERED]
Take a quick tour of the new Amazon Books store that just opened at the Westfield Garden State Plaza.

Newark has made it to the finals in the contest to be picked as the home of the second headquarters of e-commerce giant Amazon. And even though it's up against metropolitan powerhouses like Miami, New York and Boston, there are some good reasons why the odds could be in Newark's favor.

1. Planes, trains, ships and automobiles
Newark checks all the transportation and infrastructure boxes Amazon is looking for in a headquarters city, unlike some of the other 19 contenders on the list. It has a major international airport, it has a port that handles most of the container ships arriving on the East Coast, and it is close to major highways. It has subways and other trains that link it to Manhattan.

2. New York without New York prices
Newark would give Amazon executives a perfect perch from which to mastermind new ways to deliver to, and sell to, the residents of the Big Apple, the ultimate urban test case for any retailer, but without Big Apple rents or traffic jams.

3. We're the warehouse state
As Amazon knows all too well, New Jersey is a dream location for e-commerce warehouses and fulfillment centers. It has opened a number of huge warehouses here over the past decade and is looking to open more. While the new headquarters doesn't need to be near Amazon warehouses, the proximity gives executives an easy way to test new logistics innovations.

4. Access to talented workers
Newark has colleges that offer Amazon a feeder system of some 60,000 young people looking for jobs, as well as access to tech workers from New York and research hubs in Princeton and New Brunswick.

5. Return on investment
Amazon is smart about money, and investing in land and buildings in Newark is more likely to yield a return than in cities where the land prices and rents are much higher. Newark also has more space available for redevelopment than many of the other contenders.

6. Don't bet against Booker
Newark booster Sen. Cory Booker can be mighty persuasive. Starting with his years as mayor and continuing while in the Senate, he has convinced lots of businesses to take a chance on Newark. His current star power could help seal the deal.

7. Seven billion reasons
Finally, there is the little matter of the tax incentives. New Jersey has promised Amazon $7 billion in state and local tax breaks if they come to Newark. Gov. Chris Christie made that offer, and his successor, Phil Murphy, has spoken out against corporate tax breaks. But Murphy on Thursday seemed to be backing the Amazon bid, saying in a statement that "we are going to continue to press our case for Amazon to come to Newark."

https://www.northjersey.com/story/mone ... ld-win-amazon/1044837001/

Posted on: 1/21 17:30
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCman24 wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Lord, it makes me nauseous when bigots claim they're victims because someone won't indulge their intolerance. I hear people ranting about the "government war on Christians and Southerners". Poor bullies have a sad that their bullshit is being called out.

Are you the angriest person in Jersey City or what

If only that were true. You clearly don't get around much.

Posted on: 1/20 13:51
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
i know what you did last summer! or was that summer of 59?Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

psyop wrote:
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

psyop wrote:

Posted on: 1/20 1:22
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Lord, it makes me nauseous when bigots claim they're victims because someone won't indulge their intolerance. I hear people ranting about the "government war on Christians and Southerners". Poor bullies have a sad that their bullshit is being called out.

Are you the angriest person in Jersey City or what

Posted on: 1/20 0:54
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 1/19 23:14
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

psyop wrote:
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

psyop wrote:

Posted on: 1/19 22:13
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

psyop wrote:

Posted on: 1/19 21:12
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

psyop wrote:

Posted on: 1/19 20:59
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I am surprised that Kearny was not considered, it has a large open spaces for development.

Good point Yvonne, many companies see the advantage that you noticed. Bindi the frozen Italian dessert import company relocated there from Totawa, they are on the Bellville Turnpike and open to the public.

They are open to the public? They had a retail shop when they were in Belleville, I didn't know the new location has a store. You've been there?

I think the Bellville is their warehouse distribution for local deliveries. They used to be in Totawa, N.J. I sent you a PM with details Monroe.

Posted on: 1/19 20:57
Get on your bikes and ride !
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

psyop wrote:

Posted on: 1/19 20:42
Get on your bikes and ride !
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Good point Yvonne, many companies see the advantage that you noticed. Bindi the frozen Italian dessert import company relocated there from Totawa, they are on the Bellville Turnpike and open to the public.

They are open to the public? They had a retail shop when they were in Belleville, I didn't know the new location has a store. You've been there?

You cannot engage in a conversation without spewing hate, get over it. I have lived in Hudson County probably longer than you and I know the area. I worked in Kearney for a year and am familiar with the area.

Posted on: 1/19 20:27
Print Top

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017