Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
110 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 110

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Advice to avoid BS charges when buying from a used dealer car?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
http://craigslist.org
http://offerup.com
http://ebay.com

On all of them you will be presented with many dealers posing as private sellers, but there are genuine sellers in there too, you can generally tell after perusing the ads awhile. Even if you can't tell, you're no worse off than going straight to a dealer, at least this way you have a concrete price you are working with.

The noitceboards around Hamilton park sometimes have cars too.

Robin.

Posted on: 2018/1/3 19:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

tern wrote:
Brewster, you didn't say that!
At least in this thread.

Robin.

Gah, you're right! Did I forget to hit post? Sorry.

Posted on: 2018/1/3 18:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Brewster, you didn't say that!
At least in this thread.

Robin.

Posted on: 2018/1/3 18:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

tern wrote:
> Advice to avoid BS charges when buying from a used dealer car?

Buy from an individual instead of a used car dealer.
Plenty of cars advertised locally.

Robin.

Like I said, not the last 2 times I bought a car. It seems the trade in incentives are good enough and reduce the hassle of selling so that most people do it.

Does anyone have a tip as to how to find these cars? Craigslist? It seems the signal to noise of dealer to FSBO makes it hard, and there's lots of lying, I remember searching for my van and seeing ads in FSBO that were clearly dealers of some kind. In the early 2000's there were local papers ads online at NJ.com, and that's how I found cars then, but that seems gone.

Posted on: 2018/1/3 18:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
> Advice to avoid BS charges when buying from a used dealer car?

Buy from an individual instead of a used car dealer.
Plenty of cars advertised locally.

Robin.

Posted on: 2018/1/3 18:20

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/29 21:36
Group:
Registered Users
Can you get them them agree on an "out of the door" price, which should include everything, tax, title, "documentation fee"? Also I think there might be law regarding how much dealers can charge for title and registration. I received a check from my dealer when I went to pick up my license plates because they had charged me too much. As someone mentioned already, preparing to walk away from any unexpected fees will do wonders. My dealer attempted to tack on a $400 detailing fee at final stages and removed it as soon as I got up from the desk.

Best of luck.

Posted on: 2018/1/3 18:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Fortunately my mom lives in Princeton not JC, so I don't think the tire insurance is a big deal. I've heard all sorts of stories about these extra charges, like "dealer prep" where a guy making $10/hr spends 1/2 hr cleaning the car and they charge $400, or they scotchgard it without asking you and refuse to back off the charge.

Posted on: 2018/1/3 18:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

07310 wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

I always felt that tire insurance was a BS thing until living in JC... there is SO MUCH DEBRIS all over the place, particularly around construction areas. I can not even begin to count all the times I have had to take a car into one of many tire places to have nails removed. At $5 - $10 per incidence, I have spent a pretty penny getting tires fixed. I spoke to someone a few years ago who had the tire insurance and he was super happy with it. Live and learn...

Additional warranties can be OK *IF* the warranty is by/from the actual manufacturer. In those cases, dealerships actually love to get the business from those warranty repairs, as they are re-imbursed directly by the manufacturer, which means less paperwork and hassle to get it approved and paid. If the warranty is from a third party, avoid at all costs.

I had wheel and tire insurance when I had a BMW one winter incident when I hit a pothole and damaged the wheel and tire made it worth while. The cost of replacing the wheel and tire was twice the cost of the insurance.

Exactly! The guy I was talking to had a similar thing happen: hit a nasty pothole, bent the rim, and got new wheel and tire through his warranty. He also had two tires replaced because of nails in them that couldnt be fixed. Apparently, it was such a good deal that many/most manufacturers/dealers are no longer offering the tire insurance. When I picked up my car in 2014, the dealership had just phased out the tire insurance option. In the past 4 years since then, I have only had 4 nail incidents, so nothing too serious (about $40 in repairs so far?) but still annoying that driving on JC streets is such a crapshoot.

Posted on: 2018/1/3 17:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

I always felt that tire insurance was a BS thing until living in JC... there is SO MUCH DEBRIS all over the place, particularly around construction areas. I can not even begin to count all the times I have had to take a car into one of many tire places to have nails removed. At $5 - $10 per incidence, I have spent a pretty penny getting tires fixed. I spoke to someone a few years ago who had the tire insurance and he was super happy with it. Live and learn...

Additional warranties can be OK *IF* the warranty is by/from the actual manufacturer. In those cases, dealerships actually love to get the business from those warranty repairs, as they are re-imbursed directly by the manufacturer, which means less paperwork and hassle to get it approved and paid. If the warranty is from a third party, avoid at all costs.

I had wheel and tire insurance when I had a BMW one winter incident when I hit a pothole and damaged the wheel and tire made it worth while. The cost of replacing the wheel and tire was twice the cost of the insurance.

Posted on: 2018/1/3 17:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

07310 wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Best advice is just be prepared to walk away at any BS. Do not get emotionally attached to a car.

Excellent advice, but this is my 84 year old mother!! We had a hell of a time already talking her down from buying a Legacy she fell in love with without the Eyesight automatic safety package. As my sister put it, she's lived her life, we just don't want her killing someone who hasn't! Hopefully she won't drive too much longer but her 15 year old Avalon is ready to stop driving before she is.

Avoid any add-ons such as undercoating, scotchguarding the interiors or extended warantees. Check to see if there is a spare tire manufacturers are removing them to increase gas mileage and to cut costs, wheel and tire insurance is worth getting especially if you have run-flats which are expensive to replace.

Posted on: 2018/1/3 15:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Best advice is just be prepared to walk away at any BS. Do not get emotionally attached to a car.

Excellent advice, but this is my 84 year old mother!! We had a hell of a time already talking her down from buying a Legacy she fell in love with without the Eyesight automatic safety package. As my sister put it, she's lived her life, we just don't want her killing someone who hasn't! Hopefully she won't drive too much longer but her 15 year old Avalon is ready to stop driving before she is.

Avoid any add-ons such as undercoating, scotchguarding the interiors or extended warantees. Check to see if there is a spare tire manufacturers are removing them to increase gas mileage and to cut costs, wheel and tire insurance is worth getting especially if you have run-flats which are expensive to replace.

Posted on: 2018/1/3 14:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:

Posted on: 2018/1/2 23:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2018/1/2 23:11

Advice to avoid BS charges when buying from a used dealer car?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Only time I bought used from a dealer was in NY who insisted it was illegal for me to take care of the registration. Now my mom, new to NJ, is looking and I'm her hapless advisor. It's hard to get specific to NJ advice on general auto websites.

Can we tell them to buzz off about the registration stuff and just DIY? What else to tell them to shove? Some advice I've read is to only listen to "out the door" prices so they don't suddenly come up with a pile of creative charges like "paperwork fees" after you've spent hours there.

Posted on: 2018/1/2 23:06

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017