Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
131 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 131

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 16 »

Re: 2017 Reval ~ Property Inspections
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Going by the document, it looks like the increases in DTJC are anywhere from mid 50% to 75%, with the sole exception of the Van Leer neighborhood (WTF is that?) which is expected to go up by only 41%.

I believe Van Leer is the area by 18th & Coles, where a chocolate factory once stood.

As for AMo, you can't expect everyone to recall every detail of every thread, even if they read it. This is not a "true names" site, no one should be called out for anonymity, though civility would be nice (excepting extreme provocations like mealymouthed hypocrisy).

18th & Coles... that's the area now christened as SoHo West by real estate dolts, right?

As for AMo, and the matter of anonymity, I agree that using that as a argument to dismiss an opinion or post is silly. This BBS is definitely based on screen names (some of which can be easily "translated" to real life names with a quick Google search, such as mine) so I agree with your overall post/logic. I was just pointing out that Aaron has been forthcoming about his real name on several other threads, so I wouldn't necessarily say he is anonymous in here.

Anyway, really interested to see what others have to say/opine about the property tax rate potentially coming out at 1.62% and what the implications may be for our city and residents.

Posted on: 2017/12/14 17:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Going by the document, it looks like the increases in DTJC are anywhere from mid 50% to 75%, with the sole exception of the Van Leer neighborhood (WTF is that?) which is expected to go up by only 41%.

I believe Van Leer is the area by 18th & Coles, where a chocolate factory once stood.

As for AMo, you can't expect everyone to recall every detail of every thread, even if they read it. This is not a "true names" site, no one should be called out for anonymity, though civility would be nice (excepting extreme provocations like mealymouthed hypocrisy).

Posted on: 2017/12/14 16:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc201jc wrote:
http://www.cityofjerseycity.com/RevaluationUpdate

if you click "1-4 family neighborhood analysis" on the bottom of the page, it opens a PDF with average tax increases by neighborhood. Downtown JC taxes are looking to go up by 50% (unless I'm misinterpreting the table). But...tell me again how the housing prices won't be affected by this?

Interesting... I expected DT to get even higher increases. But, overall, the picture is bleak for the administration in terms of optics. Just as had been argued and pointed out multiple times prior to the reval, the current tax situation was a reverse Robin Hood scenario, and the numbers are damning. EVERY neighborhood outside of DTJC is going to see reductions, some quite substantial, with five rare exceptions, expected to have minor increases, three of which are under 5%.

And, it seems like they are expecting the tax rate to come out at about 1.62%. While that is welcome news for the DTJC homeowners, it is likely bad overall for the city, as pressure is likely to increase to force JC to take on a larger share of the local school budget if the property tax rate is so low compared to other NJ towns. At 2%, the city could argue that anything higher was a huge burden on residents, but at 1.6%, I believe that would be one of the absolute lowest property tax rates in the state (outside of Cape May county) and makes us a target for increased pressure.

Posted on: 2017/12/14 16:37

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/1 14:06
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.cityofjerseycity.com/RevaluationUpdate

if you click "1-4 family neighborhood analysis" on the bottom of the page, it opens a PDF with average tax increases by neighborhood. Downtown JC taxes are looking to go up by 50% (unless I'm misinterpreting the table). But...tell me again how the housing prices won't be affected by this?

Posted on: 2017/12/14 15:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

AMo wrote:
So what I don't do is respond to attacks from people too cowardly to identify themselves.

You seem pretty anonymous to me, AMo. Plenty of people know who I am, but I can't claim to not be anonymous here.

Huh? He has publicly identified himself in other threads, particularly the one about the pedestrian plaza, the one about the "food trucks wars" and the one about the chain businesses ordinance.

Posted on: 2017/12/14 11:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

AMo wrote:
So what I don't do is respond to attacks from people too cowardly to identify themselves.

You seem pretty anonymous to me, AMo. Plenty of people know who I am, but I can't claim to not be anonymous here.

Posted on: 2017/12/14 1:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/3 18:37
From DTJC
Group:
Banned
Quote:

AMo wrote:

Spoken like a true minion and ally of Yvonne. Deflect, change the subject, run away from your actual words and actions and pretend you're taking some sort of moral high ground.

Posted on: 2017/12/13 18:10

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/11 1:27
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/12/13 1:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

AMo wrote:
The cost of the Mayor's purely political delay (the court called his claims "frivolous) is actually closer to five million dollars if you add the 1.2 million more charged by the second company. During the four years of this political stunt, a good part of the city (mostly the poorer parts) were over-taxed. That's what I call moving Jersey City forward. A true progressive.

And Comrade, you are true progressive. Except when throw foodtruck folk under bus, or endorsing candidate for Ward E with close ties to developers. In the end maybe all about what is best for selling pizza?

Posted on: 2017/12/9 15:05

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/11 1:27
Group:
Registered Users
The cost of the Mayor's purely political delay (the court called his claims "frivolous) is actually closer to five million dollars if you add the 1.2 million more charged by the second company. During the four years of this political stunt, a good part of the city (mostly the poorer parts) were over-taxed. That's what I call moving Jersey City forward. A true progressive.

Posted on: 2017/12/8 17:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The senior tax freeze does not benefit Jersey City homeowners, I had a next door neighbor who only had Social Security but she had two rentals in her building. The state requires a portion of the senior freeze or in her case one third. Her income with her rentals was probably $50,000 a year. Seniors in the suburban living in one family homes with a higher income receive the full tax freeze. Then the income was $75,000, it is probably higher now.

For all your howling about tax unfairness for decades you still have no idea how it works. Of course she can only get a break on the owner occupied portion, THATS HOW PROPERTY TAXES WORK!! The rentals are a business, and should be treated as such. Makes me wonder if this person files their "form E" taxes properly at all.

Posted on: 2017/12/7 21:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
The senior tax freeze does not benefit Jersey City homeowners, I had a next door neighbor who only had Social Security but she had two rentals in her building. The state requires a portion of the senior freeze or in her case one third. Her income with her rentals was probably $50,000 a year. Seniors in the suburban living in one family homes with a higher income receive the full tax freeze. Then the income was $75,000, it is probably higher now.

Posted on: 2017/12/7 20:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

neverleft wrote:
Final tab for canceled Jersey City reval is $3.8M

Updated 12:36 PM; Posted 11:55 AM

By Terrence T. McDonald tmcdonald@jjournal.com
The Jersey Journal

JERSEY CITY -- The final tab for the property revaluation Jersey City halted in 2013, plus the city's legal fight to break its contract with the company conducting the long-delayed reval, is $3,784,198.

The amount became official last week when Jersey City finally issued payments to Realty Appraisal Co., the West New York firm hired to conduct the aborted 2011 reval. A judge in April 2016 ordered the city to pay the company, but the city appealed, lost the appeal and in September the New Jersey Supreme Court said it would not hear the case.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... m.html#incart_2box_hudson

The last paragraph in the linked article should be cause for concern. The city administration needs to get this reval completed and implemented and be done with it. The ongoing uncertainty is unfair to homeowners, as well as potential sellers and buyers.

Posted on: 2017/12/7 20:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Final tab for canceled Jersey City reval is $3.8M

Updated 12:36 PM; Posted 11:55 AM

By Terrence T. McDonald tmcdonald@jjournal.com
The Jersey Journal

JERSEY CITY -- The final tab for the property revaluation Jersey City halted in 2013, plus the city's legal fight to break its contract with the company conducting the long-delayed reval, is $3,784,198.

The amount became official last week when Jersey City finally issued payments to Realty Appraisal Co., the West New York firm hired to conduct the aborted 2011 reval. A judge in April 2016 ordered the city to pay the company, but the city appealed, lost the appeal and in September the New Jersey Supreme Court said it would not hear the case.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... m.html#incart_2box_hudson

Posted on: 2017/12/7 17:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Every senior property owner should be filing for the Senior Freeze (Property Tax Reimbursement) Program and the city should be providing some assistance. Even if one currently does not meet the income or other requirements, it is important to establish ones' base year. Jersey City is not exempt because of PILOTs.

Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

07310 wrote:
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Does anyone know how NJ's property tax relief programs will impact the reval costs?

I know there is some sort of income-based rebate and a "senior freeze," but I don't know how that might impact some bills or rebates.

There are lots of hoops you have to jump through and you don't get any relief until many years have passed.

It doesn't look that bad. Over 65, NJ resident for 10 years, paid your property taxes, meet income limits, no 2nd homes etc.

Is JC exempt because of PILOT?

Posted on: 2017/12/7 17:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

07310 wrote:
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Does anyone know how NJ's property tax relief programs will impact the reval costs?

I know there is some sort of income-based rebate and a "senior freeze," but I don't know how that might impact some bills or rebates.

There are lots of hoops you have to jump through and you don't get any relief until many years have passed.

It doesn't look that bad. Over 65, NJ resident for 10 years, paid your property taxes, meet income limits, no 2nd homes etc.

Is JC exempt because of PILOT?

Posted on: 2017/12/7 15:43

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/22 15:42
Group:
Registered Users
The senior freeze is worth looking into:

http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/ptr/

Posted on: 2017/12/7 14:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:

http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/ptr/eligibility.shtml

Posted on: 2017/12/7 0:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/12/6 23:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

dcj wrote:
if you itemize, you can't use standard deduction. that increase is meaningless.

You seem to have a misconception on how taxes work. You can always itemize but if it's total is below the standard deduction then you take the standard deduction.

Posted on: 2017/12/6 19:59

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/10 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
if you itemize, you can't use standard deduction. that increase is meaningless.

Posted on: 2017/12/6 18:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

Frinjc wrote:
In any case, the "reform" seems more profitable for investors who buy-to-rent since it looks like there won't be cap on SALT deduction. Imho though, any investment in this area should take into consideration the likelihood of a downward adjustment in rents with more units turning on the market.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/the- ... hat-do-you-owe-2017-10-26

Rent income / loss has been treated as passive. Once your adjusted gross income goes over $100k, the tax advantage of owning investment property (ability to take losses against your active income) pretty much goes away.

So far I haven't found any articles on changes, if any, to the tax treatment of real estate income / loss.

One real estate blogger (and landlord) thinks RE investors will win big.
Quote:

https://investfourmore.com/2017/12/04/ ... x-law-affect-real-estate/

How will the new tax reform laws affect real estate investors?
The new tax laws aren?t doing any favors for homeowners, but the same cannot be said for real estate investors. The tax bills in the House and Senate are very business friendly. Right now, real estate investors pay much of their taxes as ordinary income. The highest tax bracket is 39.6% (which will also likely change), so on rental and flip income, most investors pay high tax rates based on how much income they make.

Most real estate investors use LLCs or S corporations to do business if they do not simply pay taxes as an individual. When you operate these types of businesses, the income passes through the corporation to the individual. In both the House and the Senate bills, pass-through tax rates would drastically change. If you were in the highest tax bracket, instead of paying 39.6%?or whatever the new highest rate will be (possibly 38)?you would pay 25% on pass-through income. The senate bill has some restrictions for those that make over $700,000, while the House bill does not. For those who have rentals or flip houses in a corporation, you will likely see big drops in your tax bill. I have 18 flips going at the moment, so this could literally save me hundreds of thousands of dollars in taxes in the next couple of years. However, some of these rules may not take effect until 2019.

The new rules change the corporate tax rate from 35% to 20%.

Here are some other changes that will benefit real estate investors if the changes make it into the final bill:

The depreciation schedule will decrease for rental property owners from 27.5 years to 25 years on residential properties and from 39 years to 25 years for nonresidential property.
Landlords will still be able to deduct their interest from mortgages in full on rentals they own.
Here is another article with more information on the changes with real estate.

Posted on: 2017/12/6 15:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frinjc wrote:
In any case, the "reform" seems more profitable for investors who buy-to-rent since it looks like there won't be cap on SALT deduction. Imho though, any investment in this area should take into consideration the likelihood of a downward adjustment in rents with more units turning on the market.

Rent income / loss has been treated as passive. Once your adjusted gross income goes over $100k, the tax advantage of owning investment property (ability to take losses against your active income) pretty much goes away.

So far I haven't found any articles on changes, if any, to the tax treatment of real estate income / loss.

Posted on: 2017/12/6 12:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/4 21:55
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Another tool below - not sure whether it is the latest version of the senate bill. It looks like the SALT adjustment starts having a negative impact when >40K in property+state tax and it may be less impactful if AMT is eliminated. In any case, the "reform" seems more profitable for investors who buy-to-rent since it looks like there won't be cap on SALT deduction. Imho though, any investment in this area should take into consideration the likelihood of a downward adjustment in rents with more units turning on the market.

Posted on: 2017/12/6 1:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dcj wrote:
one thing being overlooked is the personal exemption. i think the plans call for its elimination. If that is eliminated (it's $4,050 a person/dependent) and you have a family of four, that's a $16,200 write off that disappears. that sucks.

The standard deduction was increased to $24k in Senate and $24.4k in the House bill. I think the Senate bill has some additional child tax credits.

Posted on: 2017/12/5 19:49

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/10 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
one thing being overlooked is the personal exemption. i think the plans call for its elimination. If that is eliminated (it's $4,050 a person/dependent) and you have a family of four, that's a $16,200 write off that disappears. that sucks.

Posted on: 2017/12/5 18:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

K-Lo2 wrote:
One other factor in the tax discussion...the proposed elimination of the AMT for individuals. For people who can afford to buy in the market, the cap on SALT may not matter that much for those who were previously subject to the AMT. I may be somewhat of a wash.

Are they killing individual AMT, or just raising the cap?

House plan kills the AMT. The Senate plan keeps it in place.

Posted on: 2017/12/5 17:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

K-Lo2 wrote:
One other factor in the tax discussion...the proposed elimination of the AMT for individuals. For people who can afford to buy in the market, the cap on SALT may not matter that much for those who were previously subject to the AMT. I may be somewhat of a wash.

Are they killing individual AMT, or just raising the cap?

Posted on: 2017/12/5 17:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
If you want an estimate of how your taxes will be affected by the House and Senate plan, break out last year's 1040 and plug in the data to this calculator:

http://taxplancalculator.com

It's simplified, so I would take what it calcs with a grain of salt. For example, it doesn't calculate the effect of a tax deferred / tax free savings plan (i.e. 401k, HSA).

Posted on: 2017/12/5 16:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/12 20:58
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/12/5 16:21

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 16 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017