Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
103 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 103

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Western hemisphere's largest planetarium set to open in Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SixthBoro wrote:
Halladay Street.

I bet the neighborhood has no idea either.

Interesting. I always assumed our responding fire trucks were coming from the station further up on Communipaw. I was not even aware that there was a station on Halladay St, but it definitely shows on the city website as being open and active.

Posted on: 2017/12/15 18:28

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/19 14:48
From Marion
Group:
Registered Users
Halladay Street.

I bet the neighborhood has no idea either.

Posted on: 2017/12/15 5:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SixthBoro wrote:
Meanwhile the fire station closest to LSC is closed, and judging by the sign and the outside of the fire station, its been a while. Doesn't seem like anything is being done there. Millions of dollars going into the neighborhood and no firefighters. I'd be outraged if that was my neighborhood. My friends that live there aren't too pleased about it.

Not sure which station you are referencing, but when I used to live across the street from LSC (at The Foundry) we received excellent response times from the fire department. The building suffered from a very faulty alarm system that used to get triggered ALL THE TIME, and the fire department would show up all the time within a few minutes. It was impressive, really.

Posted on: 2017/12/14 22:35

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/19 14:48
From Marion
Group:
Registered Users
Meanwhile the fire station closest to LSC is closed, and judging by the sign and the outside of the fire station, its been a while. Doesn't seem like anything is being done there. Millions of dollars going into the neighborhood and no firefighters. I'd be outraged if that was my neighborhood. My friends that live there aren't too pleased about it.

Posted on: 2017/12/14 20:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Now Steve Fulop has his all new FULLY OPERATIONAL DEATH STAR!

Posted on: 2017/12/11 17:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
World's fourth-largest planetarium is opens in Jersey City
Updated 9:33 AM; Posted 9:33 AM

By Kristen Keller The Jersey Journal

Some 400 kids took a seat inside Liberty Science Center yesterday morning and were in awe of what surrounded them.

The Jennifer Chalsty Planetarium will open today following an 18-month renovation that saw the science center's famed IMAX dome theater converted into one of the world's largest planetariums.

Students from six schools from Jersey City, North Bergen, Union City, River Edge, Neptune and Staten Island filled the seats yesterday and experienced the wonder of the massive planetarium before anyone else.

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... r.html#incart_river_index

Posted on: 2017/12/10 2:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Planetarium Opens in New Jersey, Ushering In a New Kind of Star Wars

JERSEY CITY — Bigger is better when it comes to planetariums — a bigger dome to make the audience ooh and ahh, more pixels to make the stars and planets sharper, more colors to make them more realistic, more windows on intriguing but distant nebulas, more images of Earth as a shimmering jewel against the dark drape of space.

This is especially true when the planetarium in question is in New Jersey, a state that perpetually has a chip on its shoulder. That may or may not explain the debut of the largest planetarium in the Western Hemisphere and the fourth largest in the world. It opens this week in Jersey City.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/06/nyr ... ew-kind-of-star-wars.html

Posted on: 2017/12/8 3:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/20 23:45
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
?To grasp the height of the screen, stack four giraffes on top of each other.?

Yeah, looking at my pet giraffe and imagining three more on top of him, I can clearly see how large this space will be.

Posted on: 2017/12/7 1:58

Western hemisphere's largest planetarium set to open in Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Western hemisphere's largest planetarium set to open in Jersey City

By Amy Freeze
Updated 2 hrs 4 mins ago

JERSEY CITY, New Jersey (WABC) -- Eyewitness News is taking you inside a new planetarium that's truly out of this world.

It turns out the sky is not the limit as the Liberty Science Center is set to unveil an out of this world planetarium in Jersey City this weekend.

"It is huge, it's the largest and most advanced tech planetarium in the western hemisphere, you have to go to Japan or Beijing for a larger one," said Paul Hoffman, Liberty Science Center.

Size matters with a planetarium because it simulates what happens in the night sky, so the illusion of a horizon enhances the experience.

It's done on a scale that's never been seen on this side of the planet!

"It's 60 from the bottom to top, it's 88 million pixels like HDTV quality," Hoffman said. "Its diameter of the screen is 89 feet, the entire building with the Hayden building can fit inside this theater."

To grasp the height of the screen, stack four giraffes on top of each other, the size is 13,000 square feet which is a quarter of an acre.

"We can open a screen size of a movie theater with an astronomer sharing her discovery, another window show the images, and another screen with the astronomer reacting," Hoffman said.

From space to movies, 10 projectors run by a super computer put out a state of the art experience.

The system can display 280 trillion different color possibilities.

The $5 million planetarium was funded by philanthropist Jennifer Chalsty to fall in line with the center's mission to inspire a new generation of scientists. At least 250,000 school children will see the planetarium annually.

"Breaking news and on Saturday we are doing that for the first time. You will fly through the Orion nebula," Hoffman said.

It's the first of many chances to travel to worlds beyond!

"Up close and personal with moons, stars, planets and latest discoveries of astronomy," Hoffman said.

For more information please visit: https://lsc.org/

http://abc7ny.com/community-events/we ... et-to-open-in-nj/2748491/

Posted on: 2017/12/7 1:53

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017