Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
113 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 113

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Ward E for Sale - How Dixon $$$ bought Symes a candidacy.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/25 1:59
From here to eternity
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

K-Lo2 wrote:
And I'll say it again because the implication in these threads is that there is something unethical about the Dixon business model...that it is corrupt to buy homes from willing sellers, to rehabilitate them and to rent them out. My comment about the quality of the work is to rebut the veiled argument that they are somehow destroying the neighborhoods in which they purchase. They are doing the opposite by restoring the houses they buy with quality workmanship.

Symes worked for non-profit organizations, for Senator Gillibrand of New York, and a profitable real estate investment firm. That is a well-rounded resume for a candidate to run on. If I lived in Ward E, she would have my vote.
so if you don't live in ward E, why do you care and support her? $$$$$$$?

Posted on: 2017/11/22 3:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
JPhurst wrote: Quote:
JCvoter wrote: Quote:
JPhurst wrote: I do think that there is an element of sexism in SOME of the comments related to Rebecca.
Perhaps you could point to some examples.
Perhaps you can post under a real name.
Ha! <3 you, JP

Posted on: 2017/11/21 23:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCvoter wrote:
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
I do think that there is an element of sexism in SOME of the comments related to Rebecca.

Perhaps you can post under a real name.

Posted on: 2017/11/21 21:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCvoter wrote:
As we know there is a reval around the corner and Dixon Advisory owns hundreds of properties that have all seen ?gorgeous? renovations. Dixon are looking at a collective tax increase in the millions and will do anything they can to reduce this, thus maximizing profits for themselves and their Australian shareholders while actual residents will be forced to pay more.

So what?

There's nothing she can do to reduce Dixon's property tax bills. The reval is already happening. It can't be stopped. We know what buildings Dixon owns. The valuation and property tax bill will be public. The Council can't change those valuations. The Council isn't going to give Dixon properties a bunch of after-the-fact abatements, either.

Posted on: 2017/11/21 21:33

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/12 3:48
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ecoindie wrote:
Symes was their general counsel not a governement affairs analyst.

100% wrong. She was Head of Legal and Government Relations.
As listed on her own FEC filings.

http://docquery.fec.gov/cgi-bin/fecimg/?201604159012560013

As such she spearheaded Dixon Advisory?s attempts to reduce their property tax bill.
As we know there is a reval around the corner and Dixon Advisory owns hundreds of properties that have all seen ?gorgeous? renovations. Dixon are looking at a collective tax increase in the millions and will do anything they can to reduce this, thus maximizing profits for themselves and their Australian shareholders while actual residents will be forced to pay more.

Posted on: 2017/11/21 19:09

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/21 19:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ecoindie wrote:
Dan, you don't even live in Ward E. You can't even vote for the special election. Also, I don't appreciate the fact Symes gets bashed on JClist.com, which I suspect would never happen if she was not woman. It's disgusting.

I guess I missed the part about Solomon being a woman.

Please.

Posted on: 2017/11/21 18:49

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
I do think that there is an element of sexism in SOME of the comments related to Rebecca.

Posted on: 2017/11/21 18:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Attacking Dan for not living in Ward E is plain silly. You need 5 councilpeople to vote on ordinances and 6 to pass a budget or bonding. That means a Ward E councilperson can put me or Dan into debt regardless of the voting privilege.

Posted on: 2017/11/21 18:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
I do think that there is an element of sexism in SOME of the comments related to Rebecca. I also think that, depending on how runoffs go, we have a potential to have only one woman on the council, and that is not a healthy state of affairs. Having said that, I don't think it is appropriate to reflexively call sexism on any criticism of a female candidate. I also think Rebecca has been assiduous in not raising gender as an issue.

She was featured by Senator Gillibrand as to women willing to get #offthesidelines and run for office.

Posted on: 2017/11/21 18:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ecoindie wrote:
Dan, you don't even live in Ward E. You can't even vote for the special election. Also, I don't appreciate the fact Symes gets bashed on JClist.com, which I suspect would never happen if she was not woman. It's disgusting.

Little early yet to play the "gender card". How do you see sexism in play for this run-off ward election?

Don't all the JC voters have a right to comment on all the city council members or are we just restricted to commenting on at-large candidates and the one from the ward we live in?

Posted on: 2017/11/21 17:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
correct, but each ward has one equal vote on the city council and I am not the only one that supports candidates in other wards in addition to where they reside. I still live in and am a homeowner in JC. I would be raising this issue ($300K super pac donation) with any candidate in any ward.

I have not seen any related bashing related to gender. I have been "bashed" here on jclist as much as or more than anyone. There were 14 other female candidates running for office in JC back on 11/7 (including Esther Wintner who I have worked with/for on Civic JC) and in 3 of the 4 run offs. The criticisms do not seem gender related.

Quote:

ecoindie wrote:

Posted on: 2017/11/21 17:46

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/25 20:14
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/11/21 16:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I have posted below and on another thread that this my concern - that she was general counsel for a company that contributed $300k to the mayor's super pac and there is what appears to be a quid pro quo. again, here are the articles -

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... are_they_connected_1.html

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... sessments_homeowners.html

Quote:

K-Lo2 wrote:
Quote:
"they paid people to attend Neighborhood Association and other community meetings"

Thankfully so. Dixon Leasing presented their projects to community associations and got feedback from neighbors and people extremely familiar with zoning and building codes long BEFORE moving ahead, mitigating problems down the road. I'm just surprised that anyone views this is a negative thing.

As for the rest, is it really that shocking that companies have a government affairs office within legal? I know mine does.

Posted on: 2017/11/21 16:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/12 20:58
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
"they paid people to attend Neighborhood Association and other community meetings"

Thankfully so. Dixon Leasing presented their projects to community associations and got feedback from neighbors and people extremely familiar with zoning and building codes long BEFORE moving ahead, mitigating problems down the road. I'm just surprised that anyone views this is a negative thing.

As for the rest, is it really that shocking that companies have a government affairs office within legal? I know mine does.

Posted on: 2017/11/21 15:59

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/25 20:14
Group:
Registered Users
Symes was their general counsel not a governement affairs analyst. Also, why did James Solomon spend over $9,289.50 of his campaign money on the corporate NYC law firm of Stroock, Stroock, & Lavan (according to his ELEC filing)?

Posted on: 2017/11/21 15:21

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
In an archived job posting from June 2015 Dixon Advisory sought a Legal and Government Affairs Analyst to "report to the Head of Legal & Government Relations" which was of course Rebecca Symes.

https://web.archive.org/web/2015062104 ... rnment-relations-analyst/

Some highlights -

"Research and write briefing materials on elected officials, government agencies, community groups, and other stakeholders in areas where the Company has invested"

"Track the location of the Company?s properties within electoral districts, neighbourhood association boundaries, and special zoning or redevelopment areas"

"Attend frequent community meetings (typically 2 evenings per week) and report to senior management regarding relevant or otherwise important topics"

"Strong interest in New Jersey politics, particularly Hudson County, NJ"

This is a smoking gun regarding Dixon Advisory actively seeking political influence.
Dixon Advisory paid somebody to investigate elected and other local officials, they paid people to attend Neighborhood Association and other community meetings and they sought employees with political aspirations in Hudson County.

Posted on: 2017/11/21 15:02

Re: Michael Billy Video warns of Rebecca Symes/Developer connections.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SOS wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I do not know how I get involved in the runoff. However, I will continue to speak out at city hall on corruption...

Thank you Comrade Yvonne. Funny, I do not know either!

I got a lot more, what about the fact the Councilman Fulop blasted Healy for having council people with second county jobs, he gave a second paying job to the City Attorney, Jeremy Farrell on the MUA Board. Isn't that being a hypocrite or a double dipper? I can keep going, there is a lot of dirt.

Posted on: 2017/11/13 19:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I do not know how I get involved in the runoff. However, I will continue to speak out at city hall on corruption...

Thank you Comrade Yvonne. Funny, I do not know either!

Posted on: 2017/11/13 18:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

K-Lo2 wrote:
CPC does gorgeous work. I'm still not understanding the crime here. (I do not live in Ward E.)

Like when a baby throws a tantrum, no amount of logic will satisfy or stop the likes of JCvoter from flailing and grasping at straws. They can't handle the fact that most of us chose progress over the nonsense from the Healy years. I just hope that during the runoff we get Symes elected. It would be PRICELESS to watch losers like JCvoter and Yvonne seeing their preferred candidates defeated and vanquished from the City Council.

I do not know how I get involved in the runoff. However, I will continue to speak out at city hall on corruption. Like giving 99 year leases for one dollar a year or selling 16 acres of land and having the appraisal done after the fact. Later using land sales on Union Street which was low and ignoring the $35 million for 7 acres close by. Keep my name in these conversations and I will remind people of the corruption.

Posted on: 2017/11/13 17:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
And I'll say it again because the implication in these threads is that there is something unethical about the Dixon business model...that it is corrupt to buy homes from willing sellers, to rehabilitate them and to rent them out. My comment about the quality of the work is to rebut the veiled argument that they are somehow destroying the neighborhoods in which they purchase. They are doing the opposite by restoring the houses they buy with quality workmanship.

Symes worked for non-profit organizations, for Senator Gillibrand of New York, and a profitable real estate investment firm. That is a well-rounded resume for a candidate to run on. If I lived in Ward E, she would have my vote.

Posted on: 2017/11/13 15:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
KLo2, this is the second time you have mentioned that either Dixon or Coastal Points do "gorgeous work".

The quality of their work is not relevant to whether or not they have undue influence over our elected officials.

At Menendez's trial they don't say "Well, Dr. Melgen was an excellent ophthalmologist who does great work, so let's drop the case!"

Robin.

Posted on: 2017/11/13 14:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Maybe I should have known that.

But I didn't.

Do you know why?

Because that award was given in 2016, 7 years AFTER I was president of the JCLC, and 6 years after I stepped down from the board as per mandatory term limits.

I didn't even go to that awards ceremony due to a family commitment.

But I am still on the Advisory Council, so I could see how you perceive that. Do you know who else is on the Advisory Council? Solomon supporter Daniel Levin. So why is James Solomon seeking support from an individual affiliated with JCLC which apparently now is all part of the grand scheme of things to buy an election for Rebecca Symes. Must be that he's bought as well......

The Billy video was a lame attempt at an October surprise. It tries to connect anyone involved with "real estate" back to a developer. that allegedly has some Svengali like control over Rebecca. It was like the silly last minute mailing to the residents of Liberty Harbor saying stuff like "Rebecca rents her headquarters from a company owned by Peter Mocco. Peter Mocco is the developer and landlord for Liberty Harbor. Peter Mocco makes you subscribe to really lame cable service. So Rebecca is in cahoots with Mocco to deprive you of cable service."

Rebecca still carried Liberty Harbor last night.

Posted on: 2017/11/8 15:43

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/18 2:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCvoter wrote:
Rebecca Symes purchased a waterfront condo in Hoboken when she moved to NJ in 2013 and began working for Dixon Advisory.

In August of 2015 she rented a two bedroom Dixon owned duplex with garden, 3 blocks from Grove Street, for a sweetheart rent of $2000 pcm.

http://clients3.weblink.com.au/pdf/URF/01680858.pdf

It is hard to say when she actually moved from Hoboken because she kept and still owns that apartment and was filing campaign contributions for Hillary Clinton using her Hoboken address as late as July 2016.

http://docquery.fec.gov/cgi-bin/fecimg/?201708319071273670

What is clear is that Rebecca Symes declared her Ward E candidacy 1 year and 10 months after her earliest possible claim to residency in Jersey City.

August 2015 was a busy month for Rebecca as moving to Jersey City coincided with her being appointed by Mayor Fulop to the Jersey City Library board.

August 2015 also saw Dixon Advisory give $200,000 to Fulop's Coalition for Progress

https://www.opensecrets.org/outsidespe ... 0582841&type=A&cycle=2016

Within three months of moving to Jersey City Symes was appointed secretary and board member of the Harsimus Cove Association.
This came a few months after the association had begun to receive sponsorship money from Dixon.

http://www.harsimuscove.org/event/hca-general-meeting/2015/04/13

A snapshot of HCA sponsors from the month she was appointed show 16 local businesses.

https://web.archive.org/web/2015111523 ... harsimuscove.org/sponsors

Under Symes tenure the number of sponsors reduced to Dixon Advisory and 3 others, as it remains to this day.

http://www.harsimuscove.org/sponsors

Nothing but facts.

However well meaning she may be it is difficult to view Symes presence in Jersey City as anything but a cynical and calculated play for power, one backed financially by her employers and the interests of real estate.

This timeline totally makes sense if you wanted to place a puppet in place. Seems like they rushed it. If she was planted 5-6 years back in JC, might have been the clear winner yesterday.

Posted on: 2017/11/8 15:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/19 17:53
Group:
Registered Users
That's because JCvoter is James Soloman.
James please go play with your new baby and give it a rest.

Posted on: 2017/11/8 14:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

K-Lo2 wrote:
CPC does gorgeous work. I'm still not understanding the crime here. (I do not live in Ward E.)

Like when a baby throws a tantrum, no amount of logic will satisfy or stop the likes of JCvoter from flailing and grasping at straws. They can't handle the fact that most of us chose progress over the nonsense from the Healy years. I just hope that during the runoff we get Symes elected. It would be PRICELESS to watch losers like JCvoter and Yvonne seeing their preferred candidates defeated and vanquished from the City Council.

Posted on: 2017/11/8 14:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/11/8 13:52

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
From the video:

"Coastal points buys brownstones, renovates them, and sells them for a higher price.

Actually, they are a general contractor that does business in NY and NJ. I am not familiar with their portfolio of properties, but for the most part they are working for other people looking to fix their homes. Maybe they have some properties of their own, but they advertise themselves as contractors.

What you fail to mention is that the majority of Coastal Point Construction's work is for Dixon.
You should know this because Jersey City Landmarks Conservancy recognized Coastal Points for its work on Dixon Property 237b Montgomery St.

https://jerseydigs.com/jersey-city-lan ... ervation-awards-ceremony/

Please note -

"This event was made possible by the generous support of our sponsors.

PLATINUM LEVEL SPONSOR
Dixon Advisors"

This would be the carriage house of 237 Montgomery St, the property where Dixon attempted to avoid a $17000 tax increase.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... sessments_homeowners.html

Posted on: 2017/11/8 11:37

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/1/26 14:41
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Can confirm, she was the spokesperson for foreign real estate conglomerate Dixon Advisory when they tried to install a generator on our building?s party wall WITHOUT notifying the residents in 2014. They tried to sneak it past us and our condo association had to fight them off with Rebecca defending them. I can never trust her again.

Posted on: 2017/11/7 22:38

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/1/26 14:41
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
I personally experienced this with my condo association on 8th St. Rebecca Symes represented Dixon Advisory 3 years ago (2014) when they drilled into our party wall on the roof and tried to install a generator without notifying anyone in our building. Dixon owned the building next to us and tried to slip a fast one by us. Luckily our neighbors on the other side of Dixon let us know something fishy was going on and we went up to the roof to check it out. Lo' and behold, they had drilled into our party wall for a platform for a power generator without telling any of the neighbors. We obviously fought tooth and nail with Dixon to not go forward with this. During our back and forth, we dealt mostly with Rebecca. Towards the end of the fight, Rebecca suggested that if we signed off on installing the generator in the yard, she was sure she could get Dixon to remove the crap they installed on our roof. Needless to say, we did not let her strong arm us and fought them until they repaired the hole in our roof. Sadly the curb they installed still stands but luckily no generator which vibrates and could cause structural damage was installed. Good thing we caught it. If this is the kind of company Rebecca supports and works for, I will never trust her, let alone with Ward E.

Posted on: 2017/11/7 22:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
I should also note the original (anonymous troll) poster is wrong. When Billy dropped out of the race he endorsed Nick Grillo.

From the video:

"Coastal points buys brownstones, renovates them, and sells them for a higher price.

Actually, they are a general contractor that does business in NY and NJ. I am not familiar with their portfolio of properties, but for the most part they are working for other people looking to fix their homes. Maybe they have some properties of their own, but they advertise themselves as contractors.

But I mean, heaven forbid someone by a home, renovate it, and sell it for a higher price! What chutzpah!

Posted on: 2017/11/7 1:54

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017