Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
108 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 108

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Child fatally struck by car in Jersey City, sources say
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/16 13:54
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
At the risk of getting a sound lashing, this is where roundabouts are often considered to be much safer than light controlled intersections.

Posted on: 2017/10/30 17:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users
Ive lived in Jersey City near Journal Square since 2001 and I?m pretty sure I?ve seen a cop standing next to an automobile writing a ticket about three times in total. Maybe only twice? Certainly only ONCE in the last five years. The clear message to the motorist is that you can drive any way you like, there are no consequences for law breaking behind the wheel. It?s the pedestrians that suffer the consequences. But why is it that the police won?t enforce traffic laws? I would be very curious to see comparative statistics of how our city compares to others in how traffic fine revenue is keyed to pedestrian fatalities.

Posted on: 2017/10/30 15:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

animalrelated wrote:
Right after they reopened the streets, cars were flying through the intersection running red lights. The blood hadn't even dried on the pavement yet and not a cop in sight to get people slow down. This has always been a problem, why aren't they ticketing people?! I have seen cops parked on the corner of Columbus and Barrow no even look up when cars whiz past. I don't understand.

My theory is this is some sort of contract blackmail. "Look, we're not big enough nor paid enough to even give traffic tickets!"

Posted on: 2017/10/30 14:58

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/19 14:23
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Right after they reopened the streets, cars were flying through the intersection running red lights. The blood hadn't even dried on the pavement yet and not a cop in sight to get people slow down. This has always been a problem, why aren't they ticketing people?! I have seen cops parked on the corner of Columbus and Barrow no even look up when cars whiz past. I don't understand.

Posted on: 2017/10/30 13:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/10/29 23:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
More than anything, the city needs consistent enforcement of the rules we already have.

THIS!! And enforcement for pedestrians. I've seen many parents jaywalking with their kids, particularly ignoring turn lights for cars, so if you want to know where the kids get their disrespect for traffic signals, look there. JCPD has basically abdicated traffic enforcement. They always complain they're undermanned, but by any comparisons to similar cities, they're not.

Posted on: 2017/10/29 16:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Haggis wrote:
Annod,
That is what I read too, that the young lad ran right out into traffic.
Doesn't take away the the validity of the previous posts...
And absolutely agree with other poster in regard to obnoxious honking that some drivers cave to.

Agreed... 4:30, dusk, reduced visibility with shadows. Then you have kids being kids at the intersection? Someone says go jokingly and the poor kid not paying attention runs out to be first across the intersection? Driver may need to worry about excessive speed but it is all in seconds... very sad all around.

Posted on: 2017/10/29 16:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/16 13:54
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Annod,
That is what I read too, that the young lad ran right out into traffic.
Doesn't take away the the validity of the previous posts...
And absolutely agree with other poster in regard to obnoxious honking that some drivers cave to.

Posted on: 2017/10/29 16:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/15 11:50
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
While of course I feel for the family, I do feel terrible for the driver if it's true there was no wrong doing. It's easy to blame drivers with so many hit/runs, phone use, reckless driving, etc., but ever since my husband and I years ago saw a girl run straight into a cross-street by the tunnel and was hit by a van who could have done nothing differently, I have empathy for drivers who were doing nothing wrong and now live with this guilt.

Posted on: 2017/10/29 16:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
His coach said that he mistakenly ran into the street when he heard someone said "Go".

------------------------------------

Child struck, killed by car in Jersey City

Posted: Oct 28, 2017 10:20 PM EDT
Updated: Oct 28, 2017 10:38 PM EDT

JERSEY CITY -
An 8-year-old boy was fatally struck by a car in Jersey City Saturday afternoon.

The child, identified as Jerry Grant, was part of a championship double Dutch team named the Honey Bees, which had performed on The Tonight Show over the summer.

Team founder Takeria Clark, told News 12 that they were crossing the street at Christopher Columbus Drive and Grove Street when Grant ran into the road and was struck by a red Jeep.

Grant's death was confirmed by Clark, who was with the family at Jersey City Medical Center.

Authorities say the Jeep, which stayed at the scene, had the right of way at the time.

Police towed the Jeep away as part of their investigation into the incident.

The Honey Bees on The Tonight Show

Watch the video:
http://newjersey.news12.com/story/367 ... led-by-car-in-jersey-city

Posted on: 2017/10/29 14:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
On Grand, there are signals that give cars the right of way to turn on to Grove / Marin first. Then the pedestrian cross sign lights up. The drivers will not yield or they come flying up Grand to make the light, surprised to see people in the crosswalk when they want to rush through the turn. Walking east or west, people who are aware, continue to glance back over their shoulders crossing those intersections.

Yup, it's especially bad with east-bound cars on Grand making that left turn onto Grove. The pedestrians crossing Grove in front of Taqueria are sitting ducks. I also like to add that if you're a driver, NEVER let the cars behind you bully you into making a right turn because you're lawfully yielding to pedestrians or observing the No Turn on Red sign. Just the other day, I saw a car, south-bound on Marin, with its right-turn signal on, waiting patiently at the red light at Grand (there's a sign clearly stating No Right Turn 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. Mon-Fri). The driver was cowed into making an illegal right turn onto Grand because of the angry honking behind him. And if you're one of those honkers, STOP THAT!!

Posted on: 2017/10/29 14:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/1 5:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
[quote]
Enough already. What else will it take for the city to take pedestrian safety seriously? And, for proper enforcement of existing laws? The streets all over JC are very, very dangerous and stressful. If I have to drive, I find myself heading out of town to run my errands just so I can try and avoid some of the craziness.

Sadly, it is usually when kids die and outrage boils over that something happens. Like what happened on Kennedy Blvd. last year.

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... y_beefing_up_traffic.html

Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
Very sad... curious if the driver did the typical thing of pausing to let a group of people crossby to the plaza then stepping on the gas forward without regard to other new people stepping off the curb heading in the same direction.

I wouldn't be surprised. I see stuff like that happen in front of the pedestrian lanes between Newport Mall and the parking lot.

Posted on: 2017/10/29 13:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MattJC79 wrote:
They changed the way the signals work at that intersection a few years ago. Cars going north on Grove used to have a protected left turn onto Columbus, or a delayed green light. It was much safer then. Now, it has become a crazy free for all intersection. Marin and Columbus is just as bad. The city needs to look into smarter traffic signals and control on these streets. Grand and Grove Grand and Marin also needs attention.

On Grand, there are signals that give cars the right of way to turn on to Grove / Marin first. Then the pedestrian cross sign lights up. The drivers will not yield or they come flying up Grand to make the light, surprised to see people in the crosswalk when they want to rush through the turn. Walking east or west, people who are aware, continue to glance back over their shoulders crossing those intersections.

Posted on: 2017/10/29 13:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MattJC79 wrote:
They changed the way the signals work at that intersection a few years ago. Cars going north on Grove used to have a protected left turn onto Columbus, or a delayed green light. It was much safer then. Now, it has become a crazy free for all intersection. Marin and Columbus is just as bad. The city needs to look into smarter traffic signals and control on these streets. Grand and Grove Grand and Marin also needs attention.

More than anything, the city needs consistent enforcement of the rules we already have. Cars continue to turn north from Columbus onto Grove, which is clearly marked as BUS ONLY. And, all those delayed signals need to be enforced, along with STOP signs. Enough already. What else will it take for the city to take pedestrian safety seriously? And, for proper enforcement of existing laws? The streets all over JC are very, very dangerous and stressful. If I have to drive, I find myself heading out of town to run my errands just so I can try and avoid some of the craziness.

Posted on: 2017/10/29 7:34

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/29 4:32
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/10/29 3:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
Sad this happened. I always see cars rushing that intersection. It is safer to cross using the PATH underpass. Wish the Marin street entrance had an underpass, but I think the planners were short sighted.

Posted on: 2017/10/29 2:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Boy fatally struck by car in Jersey City

Updated on October 28, 2017 at 8:40 PM Posted on October 28, 2017 at 6:55 PM

By Caitlin Mota The Jersey Journal
JERSEY CITY - A member of the Honey Bees double Dutch team was fatally struck by a vehicle at one of Downtown's busiest intersections on Saturday.

While authorities have only confirmed a child about 8 years old was struck near Christopher Columbus Drive and Grove Street at about 4:30 p.m., he has been identified as Jerry "Prince Bee" Grant.

Honey Bees founder Takeria Clark told The Jersey Journal the troupe was in Downtown Jersey City raising money for uniforms and for fees for a show at The Apollo and other tournaments.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... it.html#incart_river_home

Posted on: 2017/10/29 0:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Traffic used to flow so much better when the cut thru road went directly into the base of Newark Ave and cars had that option.

Posted on: 2017/10/29 0:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Very sad... curious if the driver did the typical thing of pausing to let a group of people crossby to the plaza then stepping on the gas forward without regard to other new people stepping off the curb heading in the same direction.

Posted on: 2017/10/29 0:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
God bless this little one and their grieving family.

Posted on: 2017/10/28 23:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
RIP to this poor little one who for no reason had their life cut short like this.

Posted on: 2017/10/28 23:26

Child fatally struck by car in Jersey City, sources say
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Child fatally struck by car in Jersey City, sources say

Updated on October 28, 2017 at 7:07 PM Posted on October 28, 2017 at 6:55 PM

By Caitlin Mota
The Jersey Journal

JERSEY CITY - A child about 8 years old was fatally struck by a vehicle at one of Downtown's busiest intersections on Saturday evening, sources with knowledge of the investigation said.

City officials confirmed a child was struck near Grove Street and Christopher Columbus Drive at about 4:30 p.m. The child was rushed to Jersey City Medical Center in serious condition.

Sources told The Jersey Journal the child died at the hospital a short time later.

It's unclear if the child was a boy or a girl, but witnesses say a group of mostly girls were walking together at the time of the crash.

Paul Ferreira was working at a nearby store when he heard commotion. Ferreira walked out by Columbus Drive and saw a child who he believed was a girl lying in the middle of the intersection.

A grandfather of a 7-year-old girl, Ferreira said he was shaken up by the crash.

"I saw (the child)," he said. "It's sad."

The driver drove about 100 feet up the roadway before stopping. Ferreira said the driver didn't realize he had hit a child.

Officials are not classifying the crash as a hit-and-run and said the driver is cooperating with the investigation. About an hour after the crash, the driver could be seen still sitting in his car.

Another witness, who only identified himself as Moe, said the children were all wearing the same color.

"The child was just laying there, kind of lifeless," he said.

Additional information was not immediately available.

This crash marks ninth person to be killed in crashed in Hudson County since Sept. 1. Ten days ago to Dickinson High School students were fatally struck in a hit-and-run in the Heights.

Pedestrians have complained for years about the intersection of Grove Street and Columbus Drive. City officials in recent years have re-timed when pedestrians are permitted to cross Columbus Drive to make the intersection safer.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... it.html#incart_river_home

Posted on: 2017/10/28 23:12

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017