Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
113 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 113

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Top Fulop allies on tape trying to steer city bid, court depositions say
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Posted on: 2017/10/30 22:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/3 4:40
From Jersey City Ward C
Group:
Banned
Akil may have a future in David Mamet plays

Posted on: 2017/10/30 21:30

Re: The Tape from Politico,
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
It's not libel per se. Libel isn't simply saying something incorrect, or even untrue. It has to be a statement that tends to disparage standing in the community. Certain things are considered libelous per se, such as saying someone is unfit in their trade or profession, that someone has committed a crime, that someone has a "loathsome disease" (I love common law developed in the 19th century), or impugning someone's chastity.

Otherwise, the plaintiff has to prove how the false statement actually damaged his or her reputation. This is not simply making someone feel bad or annoying them, rather the plaintiff has to show that the false statements deprived him or her of "friendly intercourse" in society.

I can lie through my teeth saying "TBird wore a blue shirt" when I knew, in fact, that he wore a red shirt. But that will not be libel, unless he could prove something like I was trying to implicate him in membership with the Crips.

So I think you're safe, TBird.

Posted on: 2017/10/30 18:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Poorly written paragraph - the "why bother" sentence was meant to be a generic second-person (non-specific) "you". I don't know that you released it, but I know you are among a group of people who have been very clear and excited about wanting it released.

I don't think anyone cares who released it - there are about a dozen people who are the likely candidates - the overtly political way in which this was handled undermines whatever intended point was meant to be made.

I am curious about something, though. I am not an attorney and you are. What is the standard for libel? Say I was intentionally claiming you released the tape (which, again, I'm not.) Releasing the tape isn't a crime, is it? You advocated for it's release, no? Would my saying that actually amount to libel, as though I've defamed you or assassinated your character? Or is that some sort of lawyerly thing to throw around to intimidate me?

Quote:

AMo wrote:
Memo to T-Bird. Don't make potentially libelous statements on line (like I had something to do with releasing the tape, which I assure you I didn't) without some evidence.

Posted on: 2017/10/30 18:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HeightsNative wrote:
Quote:

neverleft wrote:
JJ SM comment:

Quote:
LOL? much ado about NOTHING from The Healy Clone and the Clonettes.

But then again Matsikouds is use to a big deal about NOTHING because the Healy/Matsikoudis administration did NOTHING for Jersey City while in power for 9 long years.

Hmm doesn?t this release make Mayor Fulop look like the good guy corruption buster? Didn?t he stop the process while being in office for only 6 months?

Who in their right mind quotes themselves? Creepy.

I wanted to before you did. Also I guess I can now keep a count of how many times you reply to one of my posts here on JCList. Lets see what is it again on nj.com? Oh yeah you posted 400 times and 381 of them are replies to my posts within 5 minutes of me posting them. That is creepy..Creepy.

Posted on: 2017/10/30 18:14

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/11 1:27
Group:
Registered Users
Memo to T-Bird. Don't make potentially libelous statements on line (like I had something to do with releasing the tape, which I assure you I didn't) without some evidence.

Posted on: 2017/10/30 18:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

LISTEN: Voicemail at center of N.J. mayor controversy surfaces

The 13-minute recording at the center of contract-steering allegations involving two former aides to Jersey City Mayor Steve Fulop has surfaced, sending Fulop administration officials scrambling to defend the recording's contents in the final days of the mayor's re-election campaign.

The recording, made more than three years ago and apparently sent accidentally to a city official as a voicemail, includes the two former aides discussing the bid process behind the city's February 2014 effort to find an energy consultant. The two men do not appear to say Fulop's name -- the conversation is poorly recorded and a lot of what they say is garbled. The city never awarded the contract.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... fulop_controversy_su.html

Posted on: 2017/10/30 16:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City Ward C
Group:
Banned
I'm sure everyone involved is on a plane to Argentina

Posted on: 2017/10/30 16:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/5 15:03
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

AMo wrote:
I'm sure that there are many people who hope to hurt the mayor with this tape. That's the nature of politics. I don't see, however, how the fact that some people have a political motive in any way lessens the seriousness of the mayor's two top advisors appearing to rig a bid, and the mayor doing nothing. If this were Healy, Fulop would have been screaming bloody murder, as well he should have.

You're right, the mayor and I aren't best friends, largely because I believe he betrayed the cause of good government that got him elected. Early in his administration, I counseled him to live up to his promise. He chose another road. It's very sad to see his talent wasted.

The mayor has forfeited his right to another term. He wasted five million of taxpayer money on a frivolous lawsuit to postpone the reval for his political convenience. That money could have paid for all manner of city needs. It appears that he tried to throw the ambulance contract to a political supporter when it was clear that the Medical Center had one of the finest operations in the country. I could go on and on.

No one can know for sure, what a change of administration would mean. Many of us were surprised by Fulop's 180. What I do know is that he offers us more of the Hudson County self-dealing and corruption we all want to stop.

A VOICE of REASON regarding The Fulop Way

Posted on: 2017/10/30 15:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Posted on: 2017/10/30 15:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/1/3 19:14
From Chilltown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

neverleft wrote:
JJ SM comment:

Quote:

But then again Matsikouds is use to a big deal about NOTHING because the Healy/Matsikoudis administration did NOTHING for Jersey City while in power for 9 long years.

Hmm doesn?t this release make Mayor Fulop look like the good guy corruption buster? Didn?t he stop the process while being in office for only 6 months?

Who in their right mind quotes themselves? Creepy.

Posted on: 2017/10/30 15:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
I'm sorry, but your outrage gets hugely discounted when it comes attached to such a cheap "gotcha" stunt like this. And for the record, the mayor has forfeited the right to nothing. Voters will decide - or are we getting rid of elections?

Do you know Sully? Clearly not, if you are calling him one of "the mayor's two top advisors." He is a wannabe and that shows through in his comments on the tape. Muhammed is aggressive and certainly doesn't look good here - although he does point out that there is a line he doesn't want to cross (the comment about that can get you sent to jail.) But where is Fulop on the tape? Is he speaking? Is he mentioned? No and no.

I haven't agreed with every single decision the mayor has made; I can probably say the same about every other politician. I think the fact that you use this to dredge up every other complaint you have about him kind of tips your hand to the hail mary nature of this silly tape. You can't possibly expect people to believe that a tape that a) doesn't mention the mayor, b) is more than three years old, and c) is released the week before the election - should be taken seriously, can you?

And... you prize ethical behavior in government and have hitched your wagon to Matsikoudis???

Posted on: 2017/10/30 15:19

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I'm sure that there are many people who hope to hurt the mayor with this tape. That's the nature of politics. I don't see, however, how the fact that some people have a political motive in any way lessens the seriousness of the mayor's two top advisors appearing to rig a bid, and the mayor doing nothing. If this were Healy, Fulop would have been screaming bloody murder, as well he should have.

You're right, the mayor and I aren't best friends, largely because I believe he betrayed the cause of good government that got him elected. Early in his administration, I counseled him to live up to his promise. He chose another road. It's very sad to see his talent wasted.

The mayor has forfeited his right to another term. He wasted five million of taxpayer money on a frivolous lawsuit to postpone the reval for his political convenience. That money could have paid for all manner of city needs. It appears that he tried to throw the ambulance contract to a political supporter when it was clear that the Medical Center had one of the finest operations in the country. I could go on and on.

No one can know for sure, what a change of administration would mean. Many of us were surprised by Fulop's 180. What I do know is that he offers us more of the Hudson County self-dealing and corruption we all want to stop.

Posted on: 2017/10/30 14:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Aaron - you are a very smart man. Don't you think the dubious timing of all this raises a lot of questions? Why go through the charade of seeking the release of the tape (other than the political hay that can be made by keeping mention of "the tape" in the news) if you are going to "leak" it out a week before the election anyhow?? I think your dislike of the mayor has blinded you to the nature of whom you've allied yourself.

Sully is a clown. Muhammed certainly doesn't look good here - but is Fulop on the tape? Is he mentioned on the tape?

Posted on: 2017/10/30 14:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City Ward C
Group:
Banned
I hear the FBI have their best people on this. Mulder, Scully and Agent Cooper

Posted on: 2017/10/30 14:07

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
So we have two of the mayor's most senior advisors admitting to what may amount to a criminal conspiracy (who were kept on) and Fulop's supporters here say "what's the big deal?" Amazing. And Russia didn't try to swing the election to Trump either. What fools believe.

Posted on: 2017/10/30 14:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
JJ SM comment:

Quote:

Posted on: 2017/10/30 13:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City Ward C
Group:
Banned
Has the FBI raided Jersey City City Hall yet or are they too busy with Paul Manafort

Posted on: 2017/10/30 13:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
I'm about to wet myself I'm laughing so hard. On October 13, I wrote this in the "Top Fulop allies on tape trying to steer city bid, court depositions say" thread:

"As a sentient being, I ask myself - why is this happening now? I think: Dominick Pandolfo is involved - close friend of Bill Matsikoudis, Healy's one-time chief of staff. Huh. Pandolofo has the tape, which means Matsikoudis has the tape, which means that some good number of the people pounding the table for "transparency" have also heard the tape. This is the same group that went running around last election trying to peddle the Bob Lehrer story to anyone who would listen - ultimately, they couldn't get traction because there just wasn't much to the story.

So - here's what I'll bet you, HeightsNative: you've heard the tape. Matsikoudis has heard the tape. CivicJC has heard the tape. The reason you are pounding the table for "transparency" is because, a) you know Fulop won't release it because - why negotiate with terrorists?, and b) there's nothing of substance that is damning on the tape.

You'll try to make political hay out of this for another couple of weeks, the story will fade and then - somewhere in the week before the election, the tape will "get out" - probably heavily edited in a way that leaves a question as to what may or may not have been said.

My two cents."

And.... here we are! The week before the election and, as predicted, the three and a half year old tape is released!! Just like the four year-old story Matsikoudis tried pedaling right before the election to the Star Ledger last time around (but couldn't get them to bite.) Sad!!

Posted on: 2017/10/30 13:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/26 20:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Terrence, people do not read.

You at least make people click to the source to get it - that way they get the traffic they deserve.

But there you go - situational ethics at its finest, practice by the champ.

Posted on: 2017/10/30 12:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/5 15:03
From JC
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/10/30 12:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City Ward C
Group:
Banned
I'm pretty sure everyone here at JCList reads Terrence faithfully.

Posted on: 2017/10/30 12:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Terrence, people do not read.

Posted on: 2017/10/30 12:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/2/6 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
For those who do not want to read the article...

not cool, Yvonne!

Posted on: 2017/10/30 12:34

The Tape from Politico,
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/10/30 12:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Jersey City council to meet on controversial voicemail after mayor's race

JERSEY CITY -- The City Council voted tonight to hold a special closed-door meeting -- after next month's mayoral race -- to discuss a voicemail at the center of a contract-steering allegation involving allies of Mayor Steve Fulop.

The council, which also narrowly shot down a separate measure demanding the release of the recording, will meet on Monday, Nov. 13 for a private caucus to discuss the voicemail and possibly listen to it. Fulop is seeking a second term on Nov. 7.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... _controversial_voice.html

Posted on: 2017/10/26 4:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Fulop reports donation from man whose company is at center of bid rig claim

JERSEY CITY -- The re-election campaign of Mayor Steve Fulop reported receiving a $1,000 donation last month from the managing partner of an energy company that is at the center of allegations of attempted bid rigging by a group of city officials in 2014.

The Fulop campaign, in reports made public today, said it received the contribution from Javier Barrios, managing partner of Good Energy, on Sept. 7. Asked to comment, the Fulop campaign questioned the relevance of the reported donation.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... n_whose_company_is_a.html

Posted on: 2017/10/18 1:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
JERSEY CITY BID RIG TAPE NEWS ? Hudson County Superior Court Judge Mary Costello has ordered Jersey City Mayor Fulop?s administration to turn over the recording of former Fulop chief of staff Muhammed Akil and former JCDO Chairman Shawn ?Sully? Thomas allegedly discussing rigging a bid. I just got this order late last night, so I haven?t heard back from anyone about it. The plaintiff here is Daniel Wrieden, who?s suing the city for harassment and retaliation. He made a motion to compel the city to turn over the tape, which Costello granted.

Posted on: 2017/10/17 22:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
C.I.A. gives their agents extensive classes in disinformation,

countering this type of activity by releasing the tapes would be

smart - unless of course the tapes hide something more insidious

perhaps like how many other fucking side deals were cut and never exposed or caught.

#It's tricky licking the blade of the knife.

Quote:

HCResident wrote:
Quote:

So, you're essentially saying you're ok with corruption, as long as the right thing was done after people were caught? But, that those who were caught shouldn't be reprimanded because they eventually did the right thing and didn't get the chance to follow through? Solid way of holding your public officials accountable. Councilman Fulop would strongly disagree with your assessment on this.

I'm not saying the two people in the conversation weren't talking about something they shouldn't have been. Maybe they were up to no good. But no one is making hay about this situation as a way of getting them out of powerful positions. This is all aimed at the mayor. And the fact seems to be that overall, the administration did the right thing, without having to be shamed into doing it. Isn't that what we all want?

Corruption looks like a mayor, and his many of his allies and aids, showing up at a diner to be handed envelopes of cash. It's just that particular mayor was legally savvy enough to let everyone around him take the fall, while he walked away scott free. And now that mayor's general council wishes to be mayor.

Funny thing is, you all want to paint Fulop as a crook because two of his staffers appeared to have a conversation that didn't follow ethical standards, even though nothing was followed through with because more level heads in the administration put a stop to it. Yet we're all supposed to vote for a former high ranking staffer of a guy who took bribes, but did so in a way that he didn't personally pay a price.

The hipocrisy in all this is amazing.

Quote:

Ummmm...yeah, that's why we're asking to release the tape and any other information available, so we can make that determination with all available information. What part of this are you incapable of understanding? You're essentially saying "get over it because we don't know enough, but you shouldn't be allowed access to more information to make that determination." Circular logic much?

Say you overhear two of your children talking about plans they have to shoplift from the local market. Let's say they were stupid enough to video it (not so far fetched with kids in this day and age). You stop them from doing it. Maybe you don't throw a fit. Maybe you don't ground them. Maybe you just talk to them.

Should we consider your kids thieves? Are you a crook too? Should you be forced to make the tape public because you've prided yourself on being an upstanding citizen?

Even though your kids never followed through, because you did the right thing, shouldn't we label them, and you, as dishonest from here on out, based off your logic?

Quote:
No doubt I'm new to this site. I noticed a poster here (neverleft), who frequently posts spin material/obsessive rants for Steve on nj.com (as Sound Machine), and was heavily posting misinformation here, so I got caught up in this thread. Make no mistake, I have no affiliation with any campaign or civic group, etc., and think we're screwed either way.

I also respect your view against political grandstanding, I truly do because it's annoying. It doesn't mean Steve shouldn't be transparent per his campaign pledge. If there's nothing bad on the tapes (which I actually believe), just release them and explain. Hold a press conference. That's the right thing to do.

If this were truly a scandal, I'd be all in. Had the administration followed through on fixing a bid, or only blocked it because they got caught, then there would be smoke and fire. But I don't see it here. Maybe new info will come out and I will change my mind. But it's not going to be based off just what I "believe" is happening.

Asking for this tape to be released is nothing more than trying to get political dirt out there. Taken out of context, anything can look bad. And what's on the tape may very well be bad, but it's not an indictment of the mayor, because his administration seems to have done what it was supposed to do. The tape serves only to bury that fact.

Posted on: 2017/10/17 2:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/12 21:59
From Harsuimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

So, you're essentially saying you're ok with corruption, as long as the right thing was done after people were caught? But, that those who were caught shouldn't be reprimanded because they eventually did the right thing and didn't get the chance to follow through? Solid way of holding your public officials accountable. Councilman Fulop would strongly disagree with your assessment on this.

I'm not saying the two people in the conversation weren't talking about something they shouldn't have been. Maybe they were up to no good. But no one is making hay about this situation as a way of getting them out of powerful positions. This is all aimed at the mayor. And the fact seems to be that overall, the administration did the right thing, without having to be shamed into doing it. Isn't that what we all want?

Corruption looks like a mayor, and his many of his allies and aids, showing up at a diner to be handed envelopes of cash. It's just that particular mayor was legally savvy enough to let everyone around him take the fall, while he walked away scott free. And now that mayor's general council wishes to be mayor.

Funny thing is, you all want to paint Fulop as a crook because two of his staffers appeared to have a conversation that didn't follow ethical standards, even though nothing was followed through with because more level heads in the administration put a stop to it. Yet we're all supposed to vote for a former high ranking staffer of a guy who took bribes, but did so in a way that he didn't personally pay a price.

The hipocrisy in all this is amazing.

Quote:

Ummmm...yeah, that's why we're asking to release the tape and any other information available, so we can make that determination with all available information. What part of this are you incapable of understanding? You're essentially saying "get over it because we don't know enough, but you shouldn't be allowed access to more information to make that determination." Circular logic much?

Say you overhear two of your children talking about plans they have to shoplift from the local market. Let's say they were stupid enough to video it (not so far fetched with kids in this day and age). You stop them from doing it. Maybe you don't throw a fit. Maybe you don't ground them. Maybe you just talk to them.

Should we consider your kids thieves? Are you a crook too? Should you be forced to make the tape public because you've prided yourself on being an upstanding citizen?

Even though your kids never followed through, because you did the right thing, shouldn't we label them, and you, as dishonest from here on out, based off your logic?

Quote:
No doubt I'm new to this site. I noticed a poster here (neverleft), who frequently posts spin material/obsessive rants for Steve on nj.com (as Sound Machine), and was heavily posting misinformation here, so I got caught up in this thread. Make no mistake, I have no affiliation with any campaign or civic group, etc., and think we're screwed either way.

I also respect your view against political grandstanding, I truly do because it's annoying. It doesn't mean Steve shouldn't be transparent per his campaign pledge. If there's nothing bad on the tapes (which I actually believe), just release them and explain. Hold a press conference. That's the right thing to do.

If this were truly a scandal, I'd be all in. Had the administration followed through on fixing a bid, or only blocked it because they got caught, then there would be smoke and fire. But I don't see it here. Maybe new info will come out and I will change my mind. But it's not going to be based off just what I "believe" is happening.

Asking for this tape to be released is nothing more than trying to get political dirt out there. Taken out of context, anything can look bad. And what's on the tape may very well be bad, but it's not an indictment of the mayor, because his administration seems to have done what it was supposed to do. The tape serves only to bury that fact.

Posted on: 2017/10/16 23:04

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017