Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
122 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 122

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Symes pays Chickpea $2000 for endorsement
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Good. Now list the contributipns to the other candidates.

Posted on: 2017/10/25 19:40

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/12 3:48
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:

Just look at the ELEC reports. For ALL candidates Rebecca's are all from residents and, yes, business owners who live or work in Jersey City. Because she's involved in the community. She does not have the luxury of loaning herself tens of thousand of dollars. Nor does she have the luxury of receiving $500, $1000, and $2600 max contributions from wall street workers and DC think tank types that people with the right family with the "right" connections have.

Joshua DeMaso gave rebecca $2600, Brian Sharrock gave $1000, both work for Coastal Points Construction. Coastal Points Construction work for Dixon renovating homes.

Manhattan residents Glynis and Adam Ford gave $2600 each for a total of $5200. Adam is partener at Ford O?Brien a commercial litigation law firm that represents Dixon.

https://www.law360.com/articles/740522 ... t-new-securities-law-firm

Winne, Banta, Basralian and Khan PC gave $1000, law firm representing Dixon.

http://www.winnebanta.com/about/clients/

Jack Lenox, a relative, gave $2600.

Posted on: 2017/10/25 19:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Like Charlie Brown trying to kick the football, I guess.

Posted on: 2017/10/25 18:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/27 14:41
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
I honestly expected better from what I see here.

You've been on this website for 12 years and can say this with a straight face?

Posted on: 2017/10/25 17:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
I honestly expected better from what I see here.

Rebecca worked for tenants and low income homeowners well before she took the job at Dixon. She continued her advocacy with the Waterfront Project during and after her work. She has spent the majority of her working career in public service, and even when she worked in the private sector she was vigorously involved with the community. She resigned from her job, an incredibly serious step for someone without independent wealth, to avoid even the appearance of impropriety. So for Dan to make the claim that she moved here to work for Dixon's interests and her public service, and continues to do so even after she gave up her income is incredibly mean spirited and dishonest. He obviously doesn't know her.

Just look at the ELEC reports. For ALL candidates Rebecca's are all from residents and, yes, business owners who live or work in Jersey City. Because she's involved in the community. She does not have the luxury of loaning herself tens of thousand of dollars. Nor does she have the luxury of receiving $500, $1000, and $2600 max contributions from wall street workers and DC think tank types that people with the right family with the "right" connections have.

This is sort of like Bernie Sanders attacking Hillary Clinton, IF Bernie Sanders was engaging in the very acts that he criticized Clinton for!

James has wisely stayed above the fray, but there are enough hatchet people below that he doesn't have to. I do NOT think these are paid internet trolls. But there are plenty of people who have reasons to resent Rebecca. Whether it's because they just can't stand Fulop and anyone who may be friendly towards him, because they think they should have had the positions that Rebecca had, or just because they can't respect a woman who has some ambition and hustles when the men in the field are all doing the same thing.

Posted on: 2017/10/25 17:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/12 20:58
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
For all the bashing, lawyers give their best for their clients at the time they are working for their clients. It's not genetic coding. It's not imprinted on your brain. If I lived in Ward E, I'd be happy to vote for someone with a long history of public service and an understanding of how the real estate process works.

A lot of people hate Booker. Do you hold that against Solomon? Or do you credit his knowledge of local government?

Posted on: 2017/10/25 16:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/3 4:40
From Jersey City Ward C
Group:
Banned
I know who you are, Daniel Levin. You ran with Healy against Candice Osborne and lost. For all I know all of the anonymous friends of yours on this site are you, pal. Good luck with that.

Posted on: 2017/10/25 16:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/27 14:41
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DanL wrote:
This poster is not an election troll, and I agree with him.

How do you know the poster is a man?

Quote:

I do not believe that someone at her level, general counsel can just turn a switch and is no longer involved. She still resides in her employers property.

You know this from your extensive experience as corporate counsel? And do you *really* want people to be seen as beholden to their *landlords*? You want to go down that road?

Posted on: 2017/10/25 15:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
sorry Jim, my name is in my profile, Daniel Levin. The two posters that I quoted were individuals that have been participating for a long time time on jclist.com.

Quote:

jimbehrle wrote:
The more anonymous people attack Symes here at jclist the more I try to find out about her. I watched some video on Facebook about her taking about trying to help save people from eviction. She seems kind of genuinely awesome. I have no vote downtown but I knew nothing about her last week. You may not like "developers" or whatever but she is the opposite of what people on this site desperately want you to believe.

Posted on: 2017/10/25 13:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City Ward C
Group:
Banned
The more anonymous people attack Symes here at jclist the more I try to find out about her. I watched some video on Facebook about her taking about trying to help save people from eviction. She seems kind of genuinely awesome. I have no vote downtown but I knew nothing about her last week. You may not like "developers" or whatever but she is the opposite of what people on this site desperately want you to believe.

Posted on: 2017/10/25 12:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
This poster is not an election troll, and I agree with him. This is my concern. She came to Jersey City to take on this role first, then she does what other real estate and developer professionals have done before her, many of whom have been nice neighbors, and get involved, fund and support things on behalf of their employers. But the real estate and development business already has an out sized influence on Jersey City government.

I do not believe that someone at her level, general counsel can just turn a switch and is no longer involved. She still resides in her employers property.

She is clearly a professional and capable person. I would welcome her to get involved in the non-profits that I have worked on over the years.

Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:

This seems like a conflict of interest. I'm sorry, general counsel for a RE development company that has a vested interest and growing footprint, quits her job and decides she wants to better the community? Yeah, okay.

Smells just like an investment banker going to work for the federal govt to influence monetary policy.

Posted on: 2017/10/25 12:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City Ward C
Group:
Banned
So, secretly funneling $300,000 to a Super Pac doesn't even get Symes a Fulop endorsement??? I haven't heard anyone talking about Grillo.

Posted on: 2017/10/24 22:08

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/20 23:02
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
It isn't a smear or an alternative fact. Did you not see the Ward E debate?? another candidate brought up the PAC donation and she didn't deny it. Fulop is not endorsing anyone yet because he wants a winner. Hudnut and Solomon are leeching votes from Symes, so in the end he may endorse Grillo depending which one is in the runoff.

Posted on: 2017/10/24 22:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City Ward C
Group:
Banned
You haven't really answered my questions. And I really want to understand, because clearly you have no agenda and would not just come here to smear Ms. Symes. Please, enlighten us.

Posted on: 2017/10/24 21:21

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
You must be some special kind of crazy... sad....

Posted on: 2017/10/24 21:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City Ward C
Group:
Banned
If Ms. Symes is some kind of Manchurian Candidate for the Fulop campaign who has been slowly but surely siphoning money into a Fulop Super Pac secretly for some nefarious reasons in an attempt to somehow control the City Council and make everyone over the age of 40 move out of Jersey City, is there a reason Mayor Fulop has not endorsed her? Mayor Fulop has endorsed City Council candidates in all other wards, did they all secretly put $300,000 into his Super Pac?

Posted on: 2017/10/24 20:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City Ward C
Group:
Banned
Do you think it's possible she also murdered Laura Palmer on Twin Peaks?

Posted on: 2017/10/24 19:40

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Apologies, I meant Fulop's super-PAC with 'secret' donors. Dixon is an Australia based company and through Citizen's United was able to give $300,000 with Symes' help. And, I'm not on anyone's campaign. She only held exactly 4 or 5 meetings as HCA president so it's disingenuous to parade around like she made a big difference. I also have friends who work for the library and don't know her - she was appointed to the board of the library by Fulop at the EXACT same time the PAC donation was made. None of my criticism is sexist, just the truth.

Posted on: 2017/10/24 18:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City Ward C
Group:
Banned
I would like a secret PAC, too, please

Posted on: 2017/10/24 17:38

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I made this account so I can point out that joining community organizations and government relations were part of Ms. Symes' job at Dixon. She is the one responsible for orchestrating the $300,000 donation from Dixon to Fulop's secret PAC. I wonder why that isn't listed on her website????

Posted on: 2017/10/24 17:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City Ward C
Group:
Banned
Yeah, she's obviously some kind of Deep State mole trying to overthrow the federal government from inside the Jersey City City Council. Also tin foil.

Posted on: 2017/10/24 15:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
Quote:

jimbehrle wrote:
I went to Ms. Symes webpage to see why people here at JCList have been bedwetting about her. It turns out she sounds kind of awesome:

Ward E City Councilperson

REBECCA SYMES

The moments outside of her professional career and public service are what define Rebecca Symes. The fifth child in a family whose mother was forced to delay her own dreams of higher education for family obligations instilled in Rebecca a yearning for knowledge and an understanding of personal sacrifice.

Watching her mother successfully run for school board and later the city council in her hometown of Plymouth, Massachusetts, Rebecca saw that positive things happen when regular people ? motivated by the idea that government should improve people?s lives ? actively participate in our democracy.

Rebecca?s stepfather also contributed to her commitment to public and government service. His career-long work in the public sector as a city planner inspired her to think about the ways government shapes communities. His commitment to his community was reflected in his kind, engaged manner when stopped by a concerned resident at the supermarket on a Saturday afternoon. He was always willing to talk through an issue, right there on the spot. Rebecca will bring that same generosity of spirit and concern for her constituents to her work as a full-time city councilwoman.

While in college, studying English and Politics, Rebecca made her way to Washington DC, to intern for United States Senator Ted Kennedy. After college, she enrolled in law school fully intending to get a policy job on Capitol Hill after graduation. During law school, Rebecca represented domestic violence survivors as a student attorney, a defining experience for her.

Rebecca shifted her focus from policy to direct advocacy, working with vulnerable communities that are often shut out of high-minded policy discussions and denied equal access to the justice system. After law school graduation, Rebecca got a job at a nonprofit providing free legal representation to low-income Hell?s Kitchen residents and fighting to save affordable housing.
After five years in the nonprofit legal world, Rebecca joined the office of United States Senator Kirsten Gillibrand as the Director of Constituent Affairs, thereby combining her love of direct advocacy with her interest in government and policy. While working in the senate she managed a statewide constituent services team tasked with helping municipalities, small businesses, families, and nonprofits access federal benefits and services.

Prior to leaving her position to be a full-time councilwoman, Rebecca worked as General Counsel for a private real estate company. As the first lawyer on staff, she built and led the legal department and gained valuable insight on how private sector companies can work hand-in-hand with local governments and communities.

This seems like a conflict of interest. I'm sorry, general counsel for a RE development company that has a vested interest and growing footprint, quits her job and decides she wants to better the community? Yeah, okay.

Smells just like an investment banker going to work for the federal govt to influence monetary policy.

And that bio reads like a college application essay. I actually wrote that I had "a yearning for knowledge" in mine too. Ha.

Except she was already working to better the community before her job with Dixon, during her job with Dixon, and after her job with Dixon.

Posted on: 2017/10/24 14:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jimbehrle wrote:
I went to Ms. Symes webpage to see why people here at JCList have been bedwetting about her. It turns out she sounds kind of awesome:

REBECCA SYMES

The moments outside of her professional career and public service are what define Rebecca Symes. The fifth child in a family whose mother was forced to delay her own dreams of higher education for family obligations instilled in Rebecca a yearning for knowledge and an understanding of personal sacrifice.

Watching her mother successfully run for school board and later the city council in her hometown of Plymouth, Massachusetts, Rebecca saw that positive things happen when regular people ? motivated by the idea that government should improve people?s lives ? actively participate in our democracy.

Rebecca?s stepfather also contributed to her commitment to public and government service. His career-long work in the public sector as a city planner inspired her to think about the ways government shapes communities. His commitment to his community was reflected in his kind, engaged manner when stopped by a concerned resident at the supermarket on a Saturday afternoon. He was always willing to talk through an issue, right there on the spot. Rebecca will bring that same generosity of spirit and concern for her constituents to her work as a full-time city councilwoman.

While in college, studying English and Politics, Rebecca made her way to Washington DC, to intern for United States Senator Ted Kennedy. After college, she enrolled in law school fully intending to get a policy job on Capitol Hill after graduation. During law school, Rebecca represented domestic violence survivors as a student attorney, a defining experience for her.

Rebecca shifted her focus from policy to direct advocacy, working with vulnerable communities that are often shut out of high-minded policy discussions and denied equal access to the justice system. After law school graduation, Rebecca got a job at a nonprofit providing free legal representation to low-income Hell?s Kitchen residents and fighting to save affordable housing.
After five years in the nonprofit legal world, Rebecca joined the office of United States Senator Kirsten Gillibrand as the Director of Constituent Affairs, thereby combining her love of direct advocacy with her interest in government and policy. While working in the senate she managed a statewide constituent services team tasked with helping municipalities, small businesses, families, and nonprofits access federal benefits and services.

Prior to leaving her position to be a full-time councilwoman, Rebecca worked as General Counsel for a private real estate company. As the first lawyer on staff, she built and led the legal department and gained valuable insight on how private sector companies can work hand-in-hand with local governments and communities.

And that bio reads like a college application essay. I actually wrote that I had "a yearning for knowledge" in mine too. Ha.

Posted on: 2017/10/24 14:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/12 20:58
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
jimbehrle, awful, ain't it?

Posted on: 2017/10/24 12:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City Ward C
Group:
Banned

REBECCA SYMES

Posted on: 2017/10/24 4:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City Ward C
Group:
Banned
In all seriousness, my endorsement is available to anyone who buys me one of those pumpkin lattes. Or, if you'd rather, I'll endorse your opponent. Either way, latte me.

Posted on: 2017/10/24 3:56

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/3 4:45
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Let's not pretend that Symes did anything Mayor Fulop and Bill Matsikoudis haven't done themselves already. Sponsored content is BS paid media. Every major publication is now doing it, including NY Times.

http://www.nj.com/sponsor-content/?sc ... 823&prx_t=USMDAEuIVASyENA

Fulop even uses an image suggesting it's some official FBI document to cherry-pick his crime stats.

And read the article, it wasn't $2000 for a 'tweet', it appears there was more consulting and other work done.

Posted on: 2017/10/24 3:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/1 0:23
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
There has been nothing said about Symes that would be considered misogynistic. The decision to use her budget on a paid chicpea post is enough to make me question her judgement. Her Dixon connection is a huge turn off.

Posted on: 2017/10/24 2:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City Ward C
Group:
Banned
I think men of a certain stature get nervous about women being in charge

Posted on: 2017/10/24 2:14