Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
96 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 96

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Jersey City to Install Electric Car Charging Stations in Every Ward
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

La_Verdad wrote:
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:

I would be 100% supportive of that as long as it covers the true cost. Cost of land, construction, operations and maintenance, overnight parking benefit, etc... And of course the electricity.

I don't trust the city to run this out directly but they could enter into a franchise agreement with a for-profit company.

Why hold the electric vehicle industry to a standard so much higher than that of the oil industry (and by extension, the internal combustion car)?? No one would be able to afford gasoline if oil companies were forced to bear the full cost of the pollution they spew, the associated health issues and premature deaths, the wars that are fought on behalf of access to oil, the various price subsidies it enjoys throughout much of the world...

This. The development of autocentric travel and fossil fuels as king was not done solely on the merits of the marketplace. Realistically, our country will have an energy policy, and that policy should include a push to cleaner and more sustainable resources.

Posted on: 2017/11/6 22:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/18 15:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:

I would be 100% supportive of that as long as it covers the true cost. Cost of land, construction, operations and maintenance, overnight parking benefit, etc... And of course the electricity.

I don't trust the city to run this out directly but they could enter into a franchise agreement with a for-profit company.

Why hold the electric vehicle industry to a standard so much higher than that of the oil industry (and by extension, the internal combustion car)?? No one would be able to afford gasoline if oil companies were forced to bear the full cost of the pollution they spew, the associated health issues and premature deaths, the wars that are fought on behalf of access to oil, the various price subsidies it enjoys throughout much of the world...

Posted on: 2017/11/6 20:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
I understand the concern about corporate welfare for this stuff. On the other hand, electric vehicles, renewable energy, and other green initiatives have just started to become competitive and viable industries over the past decade. And the fact that subsidies helped them get there and may still be needed for a while to keep them there is something I am willing to put up with within reason.

We have a lot of congestion and emissions from automobiles in this city. If we can lead the way in mitigating that and becoming a leader in infrastructure for electric vehicles I am all for it.

Posted on: 2017/11/6 14:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Getting back to the charging station issue, if people are so concerned about the city subsidizing something that only rich people own, couldn't these charging stations have credit card readers on them, so people actually pay to use them? The city could charge enough for both the operation of them and to recover the cost of installing them. Or does someone with more insight on this topic want to tell me that is not realistic?

Posted on: 2017/11/3 19:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Getting back to the charging station issue, if people are so concerned about the city subsidizing something that only rich people own, couldn't these charging stations have credit card readers on them, so people actually pay to use them? The city could charge enough for both the operation of them and to recover the cost of installing them. Or does someone with more insight on this topic want to tell me that is not realistic?

Posted on: 2017/11/3 18:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/18 15:56
Group:
Registered Users
That tax bill has zero chance of passing in anything like it's current form.

Posted on: 2017/11/3 17:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Tesla crashing and burning today with proposed ends of subsidies. lol

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/11/ ... are_price_drop_tax_break/

"The proposed House tax bill calls for an immediate repeal of the $7,500-per-vehicle credit: something that would have an immediate knock-on impact for Tesla given that it only produces electric cars.

Its share price fell more than seven per cent to about $296 apiece from Wednesday's $321. The draft law emerged as the Elon-Musk-led automaker announced its worst-ever quarter, recording a $671m loss and admitting it had not met its production target for its new Model 3 car, producing just 220 of them against its 1,500 target."

So glad I dumped that mutual fund with Tesla stock two weeks ago.

That effects Nissan Leaf too... they have a 2018 objective to manufacture 10000 per week. They started outsourcing manufacturing to China. Know how that works, China takes over patent ownership etc for cash payments to the board before the company goes bankrupt.

Posted on: 2017/11/3 16:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/3 4:40
From Jersey City Ward C
Group:
Banned
I want free WiFi all over town instead

Posted on: 2017/11/3 15:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Tesla crashing and burning today with proposed ends of subsidies. lol

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/11/ ... are_price_drop_tax_break/

"The proposed House tax bill calls for an immediate repeal of the $7,500-per-vehicle credit: something that would have an immediate knock-on impact for Tesla given that it only produces electric cars.

Its share price fell more than seven per cent to about $296 apiece from Wednesday's $321. The draft law emerged as the Elon-Musk-led automaker announced its worst-ever quarter, recording a $671m loss and admitting it had not met its production target for its new Model 3 car, producing just 220 of them against its 1,500 target."

Posted on: 2017/11/3 15:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Nothing without the billions in government subsidies

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-11 ... -3-delivery-stock-tumbles

The whole finance model is a pyramid scheme... with taxpayers assuming all the risk. That is why Musk is all in with running Puerto Rico power grid on batteries.

As long as Musk can keep finding investors (see China move), he is solvent. No legitimate energy company is going to "bid" on the restoration job without Fed guarantees. Musk knows that some piece will got to "green" energy companies.

BTW Take a close look at your 401K Mutual Funds... just noticed I had one with my money on Tesla stock as part of the portfolio. Dumped it quick.

I could not agree more. Thank you.

Posted on: 2017/11/2 17:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:

The whole finance model is a pyramid scheme... with taxpayers assuming all the risk. That is why Musk is all in with running Puerto Rico power grid on batteries.

As long as Musk can keep finding investors (see China move), he is solvent. No legitimate energy company is going to "bid" on the restoration job without Fed guarantees. Musk knows that some piece will got to "green" energy companies.

BTW Take a close look at your 401K Mutual Funds... just noticed I had one with my money on Tesla stock as part of the portfolio. Dumped it quick.

Posted on: 2017/11/2 3:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/11/2 1:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Because electric vehicles do nothing to solve the congestion problem in Jersey City and therefore is not a long term solution to our serious traffic issues. It's just the fad of the day, which will benefit 0.01% of the population at the expense of the rest.

Posted on: 2017/10/14 21:03

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/3 14:35
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
I also want to add that the installation of electric car charging stations is a subsidy to the rich, who are more likely going to be owning that electric Tesla or Prius. Why are we providing subsidy in this area? A privately-owned gas station must purchase land and install equipment in order to service cars, why can't the same be for electric?

Would it still be such a good deal if electric car owners bear the true costs associated with their vehicles by getting private industry to purchase the land and construct the car charging stations? Why is this a government function? And if you're a resident of Jersey City that relies on transit or biking, the much more efficient options, this is just a giant F U.

I hate pet projects that benefit 0.01% of the population at the expense of everyone else. I'm sure Wards A,B,C,D and F are going to love this investment in the neighborhood... It might score a few political points with the ivory tower folks in Ward E though, so that makes it alright.

I see what you're saying, but it seems a bit short-sighted. With something like electric vehicles, which are still relatively in their infancy, how else would you encourage adoption if not with some government help? There aren't a lot of private companies yet that want to build electric stations themselves (although there are a few, including here in Jersey City). Doesn't it make sense then for the city to help, assuming the goal is to encourage adoption of greener technologies?

Posted on: 2017/10/14 16:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/5 15:03
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mcgsp wrote:
Quote:

light12v wrote:
BIG WOW

I am sure that those in less affluent areas of the city who can't afford their rising rents, no less new cars, will be doing happy dances !

So many bad assumptions in your response as well as others, that to get to the gist of all of them, could take all day.

1st. If needs to buy vehicle for transportation which many in all wards of the city need to do they could for the same price as a used ICE vehicle puchase a used electric one. Electrics have been out since 2010 and there are plenty to be had for reasonable prices

2. The up keep of an electric is so much less than a ICE car, there are no oil changes, few fluids in which to replace, brakes may last for as much as 100,000 miles do to regenerative braking and less to go wrong on the motor an engagement to the wheels.

3. If money is the issue, home charging for electrics is so far less than a ICE vehicle, it costs on average $1.20 to charge a chevy volt to .03? a mile for a tesla S with home charging , while the average ICE car is around .20? a mile.

4. And then there is the small issue of air quality issues in urban confines. JC has an alarming rate of children with asthma and yet little has been done to remove the major source of the air pollutants in this region which in no small part is do ICE vehicles and trucks.

5. ICE vehicles are also a major factor to the degradation of our infrastructure including bridges, roads and our buildings. The pollutants including new cars let off acidic pollutants, much of the discoloration and degradation of our buildings is do to the pollutants emitted by ICE vehicles.

And then the people who say its big car companies that are pushing EVS, oh I wish they were. GM, Nissan, VW, Mercedes, BMW and others advertising budget for their EVs is a fraction of Chevy's Impala. So lets blame the major manufacturers for producing EV cars and Vans but not blame them for pushing ICE cars onto us.

I know forums are usually for the ill informed and the disgruntled but please don't take it out on EVs they just want a chance to be on the streets and have access to charging as many of your ICE driven cars that have options of gassing up.

Be nice to them they just want a chance to play with the older kids on the block.

You are reading way too much into my comment and assuming the rest, which btw happens to be incorrect.

I am fully aware of everything that you have stated Feature & Benefit wise, since I have owned a Volt for many years at my secondary residence which has a driveway & Pvt. SOLAR POWERED 12V-DC charging station on premises in our garage.

Posted on: 2017/10/13 20:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I also want to add that the installation of electric car charging stations is a subsidy to the rich, who are more likely going to be owning that electric Tesla or Prius. Why are we providing subsidy in this area? A privately-owned gas station must purchase land and install equipment in order to service cars, why can't the same be for electric?

Would it still be such a good deal if electric car owners bear the true costs associated with their vehicles by getting private industry to purchase the land and construct the car charging stations? Why is this a government function? And if you're a resident of Jersey City that relies on transit or biking, the much more efficient options, this is just a giant F U.

I hate pet projects that benefit 0.01% of the population at the expense of everyone else. I'm sure Wards A,B,C,D and F are going to love this investment in the neighborhood... It might score a few political points with the ivory tower folks in Ward E though, so that makes it alright.

Posted on: 2017/10/13 20:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mcgsp wrote:
Quote:

light12v wrote:
BIG WOW

I am sure that those in less affluent areas of the city who can't afford their rising rents, no less new cars, will be doing happy dances !

So many bad assumptions in your response as well as others, that to get to the gist of all of them, could take all day.

1st. If needs to buy vehicle for transportation which many in all wards of the city need to do they could for the same price as a used ICE vehicle puchase a used electric one. Electrics have been out since 2010 and there are plenty to be had for reasonable prices

2. The up keep of an electric is so much less than a ICE car, there are no oil changes, few fluids in which to replace, brakes may last for as much as 100,000 miles do to regenerative braking and less to go wrong on the motor an engagement to the wheels.

3. If money is the issue, home charging for electrics is so far less than a ICE vehicle, it costs on average $1.20 to charge a chevy volt to .03? a mile for a tesla S with home charging , while the average ICE car is around .20? a mile.

4. And then there is the small issue of air quality issues in urban confines. JC has an alarming rate of children with asthma and yet little has been done to remove the major source of the air pollutants in this region which in no small part is do ICE vehicles and trucks.

5. ICE vehicles are also a major factor to the degradation of our infrastructure including bridges, roads and our buildings. The pollutants including new cars let off acidic pollutants, much of the discoloration and degradation of our buildings is do to the pollutants emitted by ICE vehicles.

And then the people who say its big car companies that are pushing EVS, oh I wish they were. GM, Nissan, VW, Mercedes, BMW and others advertising budget for their EVs is a fraction of Chevy's Impala. So lets blame the major manufacturers for producing EV cars and Vans but not blame them for pushing ICE cars onto us.

I know forums are usually for the ill informed and the disgruntled but please don't take it out on EVs they just want a chance to be on the streets and have access to charging as many of your ICE driven cars that have options of gassing up.

Be nice to them they just want a chance to play with the older kids on the block.
]

Electric cars will do nothing to solve the congestion problem within the city. It's also not clean energy as the power still needs to be produced somewhere. I hope this is an issue Yvonne takes to heart as it will take up normal parking spaces and give them to a privileged few.

Posted on: 2017/10/13 19:54

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/10/18 5:05
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

light12v wrote:
BIG WOW

Posted on: 2017/10/13 19:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
This administration has required amenities to go in every ward even if demand is higher in particular areas. That was the case with Citibike and is the case for the charging stations.

If the city didn't do that, the inevitable complaint would be "the city just cares about downtown."

And yet when the city does that, the complaint is "the residents of those wards don't care about that."

Really ? Can you enlighten us with some additional examples aside from bikes & electric car services ?

I don't see anyone complaining about even distribution of these 16 charging stations [although 16 is not evenly divisible by 6 Wards].

Posted on: 2017/10/13 18:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Lame. Electric cars? Really? I agree this is a handout to big auto.

Posted on: 2017/10/13 15:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
Love the subsidies this city wants to give to the big car companies. Excellent.

Posted on: 2017/10/13 14:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
This administration has required amenities to go in every ward even if demand is higher in particular areas. That was the case with Citibike and is the case for the charging stations.

If the city didn't do that, the inevitable complaint would be "the city just cares about downtown."

And yet when the city does that, the complaint is "the residents of those wards don't care about that."

Posted on: 2017/10/13 14:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
BIG WOW

Posted on: 2017/10/13 14:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/27 19:59
From journal square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ahab wrote:
...Nothing? C'mon guys, where is the cavalcade of callous commenters??

I guess I'll start:

Ummm.. something something, electric cars are terrible, something something, climate change is a hoax, something something parking!1!!!, something, Fulop and his developer buddies are to blame, something something, property taxes.

Something Something Damn You Yvonne!

Posted on: 2017/10/12 17:56

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/12 15:06
Group:
Registered Users
...Nothing? C'mon guys, where is the cavalcade of callous commenters??

I guess I'll start:

Ummm.. something something, electric cars are terrible, something something, climate change is a hoax, something something parking!1!!!, something, Fulop and his developer buddies are to blame, something something, property taxes.

Posted on: 2017/10/12 17:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Jersey City to seek bids for electric car charging stations

The Jersey City City Council is expected to approve a resolution tonight to accept proposals for new electric car charging stations across the city.

The city's aim is to place 16 stations in the city, with at least two stations in each of the six wards, Mayor Steve Fulop said.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... lectric_car_charging.html

Posted on: 2017/10/12 2:59

Jersey City to Install Electric Car Charging Stations in Every Ward
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/3/2 18:39
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
JERSEY CITY ? Mayor Steven M. Fulop announced today that the administration is advancing a plan to install electric car charging stations that will be open to the public in all six wards of the
city as part of the Fulop administration?s sustainability agenda.

http://riverviewobserver.net/2017/10/ ... ic-car-charging-stations/

Posted on: 2017/10/12 2:07

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017