Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
121 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 121

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Jersey City taps Downtown woman to be city planner
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/27 19:59
From journal square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
I agree with all of this EXCEPT the wide streets. Wider streets are proven to be less safe to cross, subconsciously encourage faster driving, etc. Certainly all new streets need to have bike lanes (in fact, protected bike lanes) and in almost all cases parking on both sides. But that should be done in the narrowest way possible.

Quote:

nafco wrote:
Its a good time for a change. I hope she addresses some of the concerns that have been emerging as the city seems to be growing faster than the existing planners have seemed to keep up with. There are things that can help the city grow, but also seem more cohesive and aesthetically pleasing to people on the streets.

1. More of an effort to eliminate the Bayonne Boxes which have been an eyesore on so many outskirt neighborhoods of transit hubs over the years.

2. Smarter transitioning of neighborhoods to reduce the likelihood of a 50 story building to stand next to a 2 story house. Im all for development, but there should be more of an easing in to a high rise section of town from a low-rise house section as well.

3. Wider streets that provide parking and bike lanes on both sides in completely new sections of the city. It boggles my mind why developers are making super narrow streets and sidewalks when they have a blank slate to work with. there is plenty of room to still build tall buildings but allowing more space to move for cars and people will reduce traffic and look more pleasing than tight narrow streets.

Theres a ton of other things, but either way, I wish her the best for the future of the city.

Well, focus could be more on the sidewalks being wider and allowing for street parking which is scarce, in addition to bike lanes. but not actually adding anymore lanes of traffic. Wider sidewalks can allow more businesses to have outdoor seating and more landscaping without becoming too claustrophobic to the pedestrians.

Posted on: 2017/8/9 15:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:11
From HamiltonPARK
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Quote:

DanL wrote:
yes, outstanding choice. she is a brilliant planner and has been engaged with the community for a long time. really good news. she need to have a thick skin and be able to push back with politicians and developers.

Or push back against unelected NAs and opportunistic pols. Development should be welcomed in this city, especially in Journal Square.

Viewing this as a past longtime Jersey City resident it is great news. The fact that someone with talent is being put into an important position is refreshing. So much cronyism over the years gave J.C. unqualified officials who were overwhelmed and only interested in the perks and the generous pensions of course. No more "my cousin Sean hooked me up" or "Uncle Mike got me the city wide contract." Progress doesn't mean growth, it means smart growth.

Posted on: 2017/8/8 14:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/5 15:03
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

terrencemcd wrote:
Quote:

light12v wrote:
Do you know where one can view her CV?

here

Thank You

Posted on: 2017/8/8 14:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/2/6 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

light12v wrote:

here

Posted on: 2017/8/4 2:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/5 15:03
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DanL wrote:
yes, outstanding choice. she is a brilliant planner and has been engaged with the community for a long time. really good news. she need to have a thick skin and be able to push back with politicians and developers.

Posted on: 2017/8/4 1:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DanL wrote:

Or push back against unelected NAs and opportunistic pols. Development should be welcomed in this city, especially in Journal Square.

Posted on: 2017/8/3 22:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
I agree with all of this EXCEPT the wide streets. Wider streets are proven to be less safe to cross, subconsciously encourage faster driving, etc. Certainly all new streets need to have bike lanes (in fact, protected bike lanes) and in almost all cases parking on both sides. But that should be done in the narrowest way possible.

Quote:

nafco wrote:
Its a good time for a change. I hope she addresses some of the concerns that have been emerging as the city seems to be growing faster than the existing planners have seemed to keep up with. There are things that can help the city grow, but also seem more cohesive and aesthetically pleasing to people on the streets.

1. More of an effort to eliminate the Bayonne Boxes which have been an eyesore on so many outskirt neighborhoods of transit hubs over the years.

2. Smarter transitioning of neighborhoods to reduce the likelihood of a 50 story building to stand next to a 2 story house. Im all for development, but there should be more of an easing in to a high rise section of town from a low-rise house section as well.

3. Wider streets that provide parking and bike lanes on both sides in completely new sections of the city. It boggles my mind why developers are making super narrow streets and sidewalks when they have a blank slate to work with. there is plenty of room to still build tall buildings but allowing more space to move for cars and people will reduce traffic and look more pleasing than tight narrow streets.

Theres a ton of other things, but either way, I wish her the best for the future of the city.

Posted on: 2017/8/3 19:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/27 19:59
From journal square
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/8/3 16:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/10 23:12
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/8/3 16:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Hopefully there will be more thought into ensuring JC's infrastructure can keep pace with the exploding development.

Posted on: 2017/2/14 1:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/2/13 23:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/7/25 21:48
From Van Vorst Park area
Group:
Registered Users
This is great news!

Posted on: 2017/2/13 22:32

Jersey City taps Downtown woman to be city planner
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Jersey City taps Downtown woman to be city planner

By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on February 13, 2017 at 4:17 PM

JERSEY CITY -- A Downtown woman who has worked as a professional urban planner and architect for nearly two decades will be the city's new planning director.

Annisia Cialone, who lives in the Hamilton Park neighborhood, will replace Bob Cotter, the longtime city planner who retired last year. Cialone's salary is set by city ordinance at roughly $105,000.

Cialone, who will start by early March, comes from architectural firm Perkins Eastman, where she worked for over 10 years, according to her resume. She has a master of architecture degree from Harvard University.

Read more:  http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... n_to_be_city_planner.html

Posted on: 2017/2/13 21:27

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017