Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
105 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 105

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Fulop foe loses tax appeal targeting mayor's home
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/5 15:03
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityNj wrote:
"Fulop's home was last reassessed in 1991. In New Jersey, properties generally retain their assessments until a property revaluation or after renovations, which are supposed to trigger reassessments."

Below his own wife admits in another article last year that the home was renovated by them.

"Asked about her new home on Ogden Avenue, Jackie, as she is called, said the place has been reduced to bare studs. It is being completely renovated because of its age and yes, she has a lot of say about the job. No doubt this means a big kitchen, hardwood floors, cool lighting and a choice of gun turret colors (kidding)? I kind of like her honesty -- is that the word?"

http://www.nj.com/opinion/index.ssf/2 ... op_and_his_local_sup.html

Let us not forget that the purchase price of 845K plus the 'gut renovation' was further embelished by the Special Zoning Variance that Fulop received where his lot coverage was Increased to an unprecidented % [that none of his neighbors or comps can claim]....ADDING Exponential VALUE to the property, which should have taken this appeal over the top easily!

However, taking into account the asses that occupy the seats on the Hudson County Tax Appeal Board, Fulop could be building the Taj Mahal & this HC Board would have turned a blind eye to this.

Taking further action on the state level is the way to go April....but be sure to be armed with ALL of the documentation that demonstrates his clear abuse of Gov't. position for personal gain/enrichment.

Posted on: 2017/7/22 15:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Azul_the_Cat wrote:
You can never rely on Fulop to do the right thing. That is, unless it happens to be aligned with his own self-serving interests. In my book, he is a scumbag.

I wouldn't go as far as you with my take on him, but I understand that for many he has been a huge disappointment. Incredibly, I still think he is SO MUCH better than the alternative. Do you want Healy back? Or, someone else from the HCDO machine? I feel like we finally turned a page some years ago, so while this administration may not be perfect, I feel it is better than what we had.
my thoughts on Fulop exactly. I'm very disappointed in some of the things he's done, but I'll take him over Healy or Matsikoudis or any of the other HCDO stooges any day.

Posted on: 2017/7/22 14:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Annod wrote:
Matsikoudis, who has been assisting Kuzas with her tax appeal of the mayor's home, has hammered Fulop on the campaign trail for delaying the reval.

Isn't Matsikoudis running for mayor? Will he do something about it? Until he buys a house with low taxes.

He's as big a scumbag and part of the Healy team that had 8 years to do a reval and waited till the end. Had they done it their 1st year in 2004 when it was only 16 years since the last reval this problem would be a fraction of it's current magnitude.

Posted on: 2017/7/22 3:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Matsikoudis, who has been assisting Kuzas with her tax appeal of the mayor's home, has hammered Fulop on the campaign trail for delaying the reval.

Isn't Matsikoudis running for mayor? Will he do something about it? Until he buys a house with low taxes.

Posted on: 2017/7/21 19:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Annod wrote:
If I was the neighbor, I would ask for my taxes to be reduced, not ask that my neighbor's taxes be raised.

If your own taxes are correct but your neighbors are half yours like Fulop's, there's nothing you can do to lower your own. But remember that someone somewhere is paying more than the official rate to make up for Fulop paying less. This is a zero-sum game.

I have said many times before: where are all the community activists? You would think all those activists would have worked within their communities to preset a united front to get this addressed. I am really, really surprised (and, disappointed) that the (often self appointed) activists supposed to be looking out for those without a voice never latched onto this issue. This is truly a reverse Robin Hood situation.

Posted on: 2017/7/21 19:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Annod wrote:
If I was the neighbor, I would ask for my taxes to be reduced, not ask that my neighbor's taxes be raised.

If your own taxes are correct but your neighbors are half yours like Fulop's, there's nothing you can do to lower your own. But remember that someone somewhere is paying more than the official rate to make up for Fulop paying less. This is a zero-sum game.

Posted on: 2017/7/21 19:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/7/21 18:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/2/6 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

terrencemcd wrote:
Not sure how amazing it is but yes, I used the word assessment instead of value. I corrected that this morning.

My apologies.

Posted on: 2017/7/21 18:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

terrencemcd wrote:
Not sure how amazing it is but yes, I used the word assessment instead of value. I corrected that this morning.

What's amazing is that after all the confusion about the difference between those numbers, some of it deliberately sown, you wouldn't be scrupulous to get it right the first time.

You also could have commented without bias that the mayor's effective tax rate based purely on his purchase price is less than half the official city rate.

Posted on: 2017/7/21 18:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/2/6 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
2- It's amazing after all this time covering the issue Mr McDonald still doesn't understand the difference between an assessment and Fair Market Value. The assessment would NOT be raised to $800,000 if the case had been won. It would have been raised to $189,280, the $800k times the ratio, 23.66, divided by 100. The ratio is the % of FMV the assessment represents, and is adjusted yearly.

Posted on: 2017/7/21 17:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
I wouldn't go as far as you with my take on him, but I understand that for many he has been a huge disappointment. Incredibly, I still think he is SO MUCH better than the alternative.

Yes, that's the most awful part, we have no better alternative. Anyone less corrupt can't get elected. What a great campaign slogan: "I'm less corrupt than the other guy!"

Posted on: 2017/7/21 15:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/2 11:06
From Scenic McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
He is the lesser of two evils. But, you know how the rest of that saying goes.

Posted on: 2017/7/21 14:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Azul_the_Cat wrote:
You can never rely on Fulop to do the right thing. That is, unless it happens to be aligned with his own self-serving interests. In my book, he is a scumbag.

I wouldn't go as far as you with my take on him, but I understand that for many he has been a huge disappointment. Incredibly, I still think he is SO MUCH better than the alternative. Do you want Healy back? Or, someone else from the HCDO machine? I feel like we finally turned a page some years ago, so while this administration may not be perfect, I feel it is better than what we had.

Posted on: 2017/7/21 14:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
It is pretty sad that, presented with such a great opportunity to shine a spotlight on the existing tax disparity, the mayor of our city has instead chosen to play dumb about the issue...
Fulop could have managed this situation into a win-win by simply acknowledging that the tax disparity is unfair, and that some people (like himself) are benefitting from the current situation at the expense of other people, but that there is nothing he can do until the reval is completed and new tax levies are assessed.

Did you not notice that he fought the reval tooth and nail? It's not surprising that he'd take this attitude.

Sadly, what we really should do is have a reval on a regular basis (e.g. every 5-7 years), specifically to avoid these huge battles over one-time corrections. What's sad is that we cannot rely on Fulop to do the right thing here.

Honestly, even a 5 - 7 year system seems unnecessarily protracted. So many cities around the country use a rolling system in which values are adjusted automatically from year to year. There is no good reason why we can't have something like that here, especially given the sheer abundance of skilled professionals that could help implement such a system. Relying on revals that take place every 5, 7, or 10, years is a recipe for disaster, as our public officials can find it politically expedient to delay or cancel them in order to curry favor with different groups of voters. This is a process that should be vulnerable to tinkering by elected officials.

Posted on: 2017/7/21 14:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/2 11:06
From Scenic McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/7/21 14:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
It is pretty sad that, presented with such a great opportunity to shine a spotlight on the existing tax disparity, the mayor of our city has instead chosen to play dumb about the issue...
Fulop could have managed this situation into a win-win by simply acknowledging that the tax disparity is unfair, and that some people (like himself) are benefitting from the current situation at the expense of other people, but that there is nothing he can do until the reval is completed and new tax levies are assessed.

Did you not notice that he fought the reval tooth and nail? It's not surprising that he'd take this attitude.

Sadly, what we really should do is have a reval on a regular basis (e.g. every 5-7 years), specifically to avoid these huge battles over one-time corrections. What's sad is that we cannot rely on Fulop to do the right thing here.

Posted on: 2017/7/21 13:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
When we appealed our taxes at my previous condo, we hired a lawyer that specialized in it. The lawyer had to provide examples of taxes of surrounding properties.

Posted on: 2017/7/21 11:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
3 things:

1- I thought a gut job was sufficient to cause a spot reassessment.

2- It's amazing after all this time covering the issue Mr McDonald still doesn't understand the difference between an assessment and Fair Market Value. The assessment would NOT be raised to $800,000 if the case had been won. It would have been raised to $189,280, the $800k times the ratio, 23.66, divided by 100. The ratio is the % of FMV the assessment represents, and is adjusted yearly.

3- Fulop is a mealy mouthed piece of shit to say "my taxes are in line with every resident of Jersey City."

It is pretty sad that, presented with such a great opportunity to shine a spotlight on the existing tax disparity, the mayor of our city has instead chosen to play dumb about the issue. His effective tax rate is under 1% !! Residents in less affluent wards are consistently paying effective tax rates of 4 to 6 percent, while people in DTJC, and a few other pockets in JSQ and The Heights, continue to get away with paying under 1%.

Fulop could have managed this situation into a win-win by simply acknowledging that the tax disparity is unfair, and that some people (like himself) are benefitting from the current situation at the expense of other people, but that there is nothing he can do until the reval is completed and new tax levies are assessed. He would have continued paying the same ridiculously low taxes, but come out looking like a more respectable public official.

Posted on: 2017/7/21 11:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
3 things:

1- I thought a gut job was sufficient to cause a spot reassessment.

3- Fulop is a mealy mouthed piece of shit to say "my taxes are in line with every resident of Jersey City."

Posted on: 2017/7/21 4:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/26 19:42
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
"Fulop's home was last reassessed in 1991. In New Jersey, properties generally retain their assessments until a property revaluation or after renovations, which are supposed to trigger reassessments."

Below his own wife admits in another article last year that the home was renovated by them.

"Asked about her new home on Ogden Avenue, Jackie, as she is called, said the place has been reduced to bare studs. It is being completely renovated because of its age and yes, she has a lot of say about the job. No doubt this means a big kitchen, hardwood floors, cool lighting and a choice of gun turret colors (kidding)? I kind of like her honesty -- is that the word?"

http://www.nj.com/opinion/index.ssf/2 ... op_and_his_local_sup.html

Posted on: 2017/7/21 4:05

Fulop foe loses tax appeal targeting mayor's home
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/26 19:42
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Updated on July 20, 2017 at 8:12 PM
Posted on July 20, 2017 at 6:17 PM

By Terrence T. McDonald tmcdonald@jjournal.com
The Jersey Journal

JERSEY CITY -- The Hudson County tax board has rejected an attempt by a political opponent of Mayor Steve Fulop to increase the assessment -- and tax bill -- of Fulop's Ogden Avenue home.

A one-page memorandum of judgment issued by the five-member tax board on Tuesday indicates local activist April Kuzas, who filed the appeal of Fulop's assessment, did not overcome the "presumption of correctness," meaning she did not prove that the $104,000 assessment of Fulop's home is incorrect. In tax appeal cases, the burden of proof rests with the challenger.

Kuzas -- an ally of Bill Matsikoudis, the former corporation counsel challenging Fulop in November's mayoral race -- said she intends to file an appeal to the New Jersey Tax Court. New Jersey law allows third parties to file tax appeals.

"I am disappointed that the Hudson County tax board did not have the guts to determine the value of Steve Fulop's property," she said.

Asked to comment, Fulop said, "It's really pathetic and sad that Bill Matsikoudis and April are committed to running a negative campaign attacking my family. I'm going to take the high road and I'm glad that the courts decided what I said all along that my taxes are in line with every resident of Jersey City."

At a June 22 tax appeal hearing, Kuzas argued that Fulop's $104,000 assessment should be increased to $800,000. Fulop and his wife purchased the three-story, four-bedroom home in 2015 for $845,000 and their annual tax bill is $8,009. (A Jersey City homeowner with an average assessment of $100,000 pays $7,199.)

The assessments for some of Fulop's neighbors on Ogden Avenue and Palisade Avenue are similarly out of whack with their market value. Four homes in the area that have sold recently for between $825,000 and $907,000 have assessments that range from $79,000 to $160,000.

Fulop's home was last reassessed in 1991. In New Jersey, properties generally retain their assessments until a property revaluation or after renovations, which are supposed to trigger reassessments.

The mayor's critics, locally and statewide, say his tax bill illustrates the city's imbalanced tax burden, aggravated by Fulop's decision to stall the property revaluation for three years after he was elected mayor. Revals are intended to square every property's assessment on the city tax rolls with its true value.

State tax officials in April 2016 ordered the reval to proceed, saying the ratio of homes assessed at their true value was so low the city was violating state laws on fair taxation. Homeowners are expected to get their new assessments around Thanksgiving.

Matsikoudis, who has been assisting Kuzas with her tax appeal of the mayor's home, has hammered Fulop on the campaign trail for delaying the reval. In a statement emailed to The Jersey Journal about the county tax board's decision, Kuzas echoed Matsikoudis' criticism.

"Thousands of Jersey City home owners are over assessed and pay disproportionately high taxes while Fulop gets over on a (sic) artificially low tax bill, which is why a revaluation was ordered to fix the disparity," she wrote

Matsikoudis declined to comment.

Fulop's spokeswoman has previously called the tax appeal a "political circus."

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... argeting_mayors_home.html

Posted on: 2017/7/21 4:01

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact