Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
55 user(s) are online (47 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 55

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Jersey City Drops Lawsuit Against the Friends of the Loews Jersey City Landmark Theatre
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
12/27 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Resolution 19-191, the city or I should say Mayor Fulop rejecting a contract to fix the standpipe for the Loews Theatre. The projected cost is more than the county funds allocated for this project, the reason given for the rejection, but as Councilman Boggiano said, "Use the $2 million given to the Loews from Kushner 4 years ago." No comment about that $2 million.

Posted on: 2019/3/12 0:26

Re: Jersey City Drops Lawsuit Against the Friends of the Loews Jersey City Landmark Theatre
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

neverleft wrote:
(Sad it would have been professionally renovated/managed and we would have been enjoying some fairly big name acts plus 40 community events a year starting in late 2015 but the FOL would not give up their lease. Gee I guess we will have to wait until 2020 when the FOL lease if up for good.)

AEG Live set to take over Loew's in Jersey City

Posted Jun 26, 2014
By Terrence T. McDonald The Jersey Journal

AEG Live, one of the globe's largest concert promoters, is set to win a contract to take over management of the Landmark Loew's Jersey Theatre in Jersey City, and the firm pledges to bring "top talent" to the Journal Square theater.

A city official said AEG offered "far and away" the largest bid to run the venue, saying it would pay $350,000 annually to rent the city-owned theater for 30 years and contribute $3.5 million toward renovation of the 85-year-old former movie palace.
?
Mark Shulman, AEG's vice president and general manager, said the firm hopes to make the Loew's "a hub for the entire area." Programming should begin in late 2015, after renovations are complete, according to Schulman.
?
AEG, which will partner with New Jersey City University and Mana Contemporary to offer 40 community events annually, was competing with Live Nation, Ace Theatrical Group and local firm Catch a Rising Star.

?
great. can't wait until 2020.

Posted on: 2018/7/16 4:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/15 0:21
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
(Sad it would have been professionally renovated/managed and we would have been enjoying some fairly big name acts plus 40 community events a year starting in late 2015 but the FOL would not give up their lease. Gee I guess we will have to wait until 2020 when the FOL lease if up for good.)

AEG Live set to take over Loew's in Jersey City

Posted Jun 26, 2014
By Terrence T. McDonald The Jersey Journal

AEG Live, one of the globe's largest concert promoters, is set to win a contract to take over management of the Landmark Loew's Jersey Theatre in Jersey City, and the firm pledges to bring "top talent" to the Journal Square theater.

A city official said AEG offered "far and away" the largest bid to run the venue, saying it would pay $350,000 annually to rent the city-owned theater for 30 years and contribute $3.5 million toward renovation of the 85-year-old former movie palace.
?
Mark Shulman, AEG's vice president and general manager, said the firm hopes to make the Loew's "a hub for the entire area." Programming should begin in late 2015, after renovations are complete, according to Schulman.
?
AEG, which will partner with New Jersey City University and Mana Contemporary to offer 40 community events annually, was competing with Live Nation, Ace Theatrical Group and local firm Catch a Rising Star.

?

Posted on: 2018/7/16 0:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Fulop blocked them from funding, otherwise it would be on the way. It?s like the kid who killed his parents then asked the judge for leniency because he was an orphan.

bingo.

Posted on: 2018/7/15 18:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Fulop blocked them from funding, otherwise it would be on the way. It?s like the kid who killed his parents then asked the judge for leniency because he was an orphan.

Posted on: 2018/7/15 16:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
[quote]
Monroe wrote:
There is a PBS video on the Brooklyn restoration, it cost around $75 million to restore. I was there a few years ago, it was incredible.[/quotefulop, imo, should not have renewed the contract with fol. its been over umpteen years and it still has not been restored and not fulfilling its potential

Posted on: 2018/7/15 4:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
There is a PBS video on the Brooklyn restoration, it cost around $75 million to restore. I was there a few years ago, it was incredible.

Posted on: 2018/7/15 1:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
king's theater in brooklyn was beautifully restored several years ago; loews theater remains a sh_tshow.

Posted on: 2018/7/15 0:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/27 19:59
From journal square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DanL wrote:

some people can want a museum piece that plays host to mostly national (mass commercial) performances. that is fine. my family would likely attend an event/performance once every few years.

But presently, we go to the Loews 10-12 times a year, some years more for movies, theater, music and even the post JC St. Patricks Day Parade Party and every year we help with the JC Landmarks Conservancy Awards Ceremony and have seen numerous Art House and other performances.

The current situation serves my family much more than AEG would. We should matter also, not just development for developments sake. So, we will support the FoL and a more balanced path.

Dan, I understand your point, and respect that but I think youre an outlier and most people, especially as the area grows with a younger crowd would prefer a proper venue rather than the options currently provided at Loews. The programs currently dont provide much for 90% of the citys population, and though i love the charm and think a few of these events should be preserved, the city could benefit from a bigger venue with real artists on a regular basis.

Posted on: 2017/7/5 13:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

some people can want a museum piece that plays host to mostly national (mass commercial) performances. that is fine. my family would likely attend an event/performance once every few years.

But presently, we go to the Loews 10-12 times a year, some years more for movies, theater, music and even the post JC St. Patricks Day Parade Party and every year we help with the JC Landmarks Conservancy Awards Ceremony and have seen numerous Art House and other performances.

The current situation serves my family much more than AEG would. We should matter also, not just development for developments sake. So, we will support the FoL and a more balanced path.

Posted on: 2017/7/4 13:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/26 20:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Anyone who has watched the documentary on the Loew's Wonder Theaters, seen what they did to the Brooklyn theater, and been to the JC Loew's wouldn't be saying that the JC renovation will cost far less than the Brooklyn reno. To get to Brooklyn level of detail will require a complete interior gut, and I'm sure the costs have gone up for this type of restoration since the Brooklyn Loew's was completed several years ago.

You've seen a TV show? AND you've been to the JC Loew's? Christ, you should have just said so - I would have appreciated the level of your expertise and never doubted you.

Posted on: 2017/7/2 17:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/1 14:07
From Earth
Group:
Registered Users
I'd just like to know who stole the hand railings from the stairways.

It's shameful--such a grand old place when we were kids. The FOL have made a laughable mockery of the restoration -- that ridiculous organ!! Walk down the Boulevard to the old Stanley to see what can be done. I spent a lot of time as a kid in all of JC's great movie theaters. It really hurts to see what they've become. But then again--look at the city itself. No longer a place where homes and families are the norm, rather an investment opportunity. All about the bucks....

Posted on: 2017/6/30 19:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Anyone who has watched the documentary on the Loew's Wonder Theaters, seen what they did to the Brooklyn theater, and been to the JC Loew's wouldn't be saying that the JC renovation will cost far less than the Brooklyn reno. To get to Brooklyn level of detail will require a complete interior gut, and I'm sure the costs have gone up for this type of restoration since the Brooklyn Loew's was completed several years ago.

Posted on: 2017/6/30 0:25

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/12 16:50
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JSleeze wrote:
Yeah - because I'm sure because they are both called "Loews" they have the exact same problem and need the exact same amount and type of work. Brilliant.

Exactly. The Brooklyn place had roof leaks for years and had s foot or so of sludge on the floor. It was virtually a gut-job. The JC Loews needs far less.

Posted on: 2017/6/29 23:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah - because I'm sure because they are both called "Loews" they have the exact same problem and need the exact same amount and type of work. Brilliant.

Posted on: 2017/6/29 17:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah, the cost of renovating two similar projects about 5 miles away from each other should be four or five to one. Got it!

Posted on: 2017/6/29 14:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I'm talking about the Jersey City Loews - there have been studies that by the city and an independent firm that put the range between $20 million and $30 million to fully renovate the JC Loews. The cost of the Brooklyn renovation is irrelevant.

Posted on: 2017/6/29 14:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JSleeze wrote:
I don't know why you keep wildly speculating on the cost of renovation (you've said "$75 million" and "almost $100 million") when there have been actual studies, made public, by people who actually know what they are talking about, that range between $20 million and $30 million.

The New York Times said 94 million for the Brooklyn renovation.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/07/nyr ... klyn-a-second-chance.html

Posted on: 2017/6/29 14:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I don't know why you keep wildly speculating on the cost of renovation (you've said "$75 million" and "almost $100 million") when there have been actual studies, made public, by people who actually know what they are talking about, that range between $20 million and $30 million.

Posted on: 2017/6/29 14:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quite a bit of the Loew's funding came from JSQ developers, that Fulop illegally diverted away from the theater renovation fund. And he also diverted the county money towards projects he could control.

While I agree somewhat that a professional booking group get involved, the Friends group should end up with a dedicated (and substantial) number of dates per month/year for local programming and low cost movies that they could manage. Probably the best win/win situation for all.

Posted on: 2017/6/29 13:08

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/3 13:26
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Fulop isn't paying anything one way or the other. We are all paying for whatever happens at Loews as citizens of Jersey City.

Separate politics from this situation and consider whether FoL is the right group to maximize the potential of the theater. If you think they are, then I have to respectfully disagree, but that disagreement has absolutely nothing to do with the mayor or politics. I'm sure it is fun for some to see Fulop "lose" this battle, but from where I'm standing, it looks like very few people in JC are winning.

Posted on: 2017/6/29 2:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
For an insight on how expensive these renovations will cost, FIOS Channel 525/NYCTV will repeat 'The Wonder Theaters' tonight at 8:30 which highlights the Brooklyn renovation.

Posted on: 2017/6/28 23:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The city should pay to restore the Loew's and/or utilize legitimate and equitable public/private partnerships. But the first dollar should not go into that place until the day after the lease is up and the FOL are no longer the beneficiaries.

Posted on: 2017/6/28 23:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mpwJC wrote:
Someone should let Ben know that, so he can cancel his upcoming national tour. https://www.benfolds.com/tour-dates

You aren't supporting your argument well at all. Kings Theatre has ticket prices published for all of their upcoming events. The vast majority of them have tickets that are within a range that I would consider reasonable for a night of entertainment in a beautiful theater setting. Across the board these events are bigger draws and are better attended than basically anything that happens at the Loews in Jersey City.

You may be upset that you overpaid for your CSN tickets, but that doesn't change the fact that many other events at Kings are well under $100. It also doesn't change the fact that CSN, Ben Folds, and any other performer that could sell over 800 tickets will never come to Jersey City because the Loews is a smelly, hot, old building, desperately in need of a complete refurbishment that isn't coming.

-------

Edit: CSN tickets from 2 years ago were under $100 as well. Seems like you must have purchased from StubHub or another secondary market retailer/scalper. Scalpers are a whole different issue. https://www.crosbystillsnash.com/crosby,-stills-and-nash-announce-spring-2015-tour-dates-in-a.html

Ticketmaster. But Ben Folds isn't CSN yes. But did you see the majority of the upcoming shows there? Ben Folds (and I like him) was the top act! In any case, I'm glad to see Fulop paying his fair share, as ordered by the courts. Whether this, or the reval, it seems like he stalls when faced with a decision he disagrees with. Screwing Loew's for years, then claiming the place is run down, is like the kid who kills his parents then asks for forgiveness because he's an orphan.

Posted on: 2017/6/28 22:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/12 22:36
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah, I don't really understand your argument. Why should the same bands cost less money here than they do at the Kings Theatre? Just like White Eagle Hall I would never expect to pay less, but be happy paying the same for the convenience of location.

You either spent a few extra $$'s and a lot of your time (1 hr each way on public trans) or a lot of extra $$'s on an Uber and a decent amount of time plus $$ on the tunnel if you drove yourself.

Posted on: 2017/6/28 21:53

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Someone should let Ben know that, so he can cancel his upcoming national tour. https://www.benfolds.com/tour-dates

You aren't supporting your argument well at all. Kings Theatre has ticket prices published for all of their upcoming events. The vast majority of them have tickets that are within a range that I would consider reasonable for a night of entertainment in a beautiful theater setting. Across the board these events are bigger draws and are better attended than basically anything that happens at the Loews in Jersey City.

You may be upset that you overpaid for your CSN tickets, but that doesn't change the fact that many other events at Kings are well under $100. It also doesn't change the fact that CSN, Ben Folds, and any other performer that could sell over 800 tickets will never come to Jersey City because the Loews is a smelly, hot, old building, desperately in need of a complete refurbishment that isn't coming.

-------

Edit: CSN tickets from 2 years ago were under $100 as well. Seems like you must have purchased from StubHub or another secondary market retailer/scalper. Scalpers are a whole different issue. https://www.crosbystillsnash.com/crosby,-stills-and-nash-announce-spring-2015-tour-dates-in-a.html

Posted on: 2017/6/28 20:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Ben Folds isn't a national touring act-when we went two years ago to see Crosby, Stills, and Nash the seats were around $140, and drinks in the lobby were very expensive. You're not going to recoup much money if you drop 75 million on a restoration and don't charge big time money for tickets.

Posted on: 2017/6/28 19:14

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
If the Loews Jersey City were restored like the Kings Theatre in Brooklyn, it would have ticket prices in line with what performers who can fill 3,000 seat venues tend to charge. What is wrong with that? I clicked on a few upcoming concerts at the Kings Theatre, and ticket prices ranged from $40 to over $80. That is the going rate for national touring acts, and I don't think only "downtown people" can afford those prices.

I am thankful that White Eagle Hall was beautifully and professionally restored and is now announcing shows with some well-regarded national acts and charging market rates for those shows. WEH is only around an 800 person capacity, though, so it can only bring smaller acts to Jersey City. It would be great if Loews could give our market a high quality 3,000 person venue, but it looks like that is never going to happen. That is unfortunate.

Posted on: 2017/6/28 13:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JSleeze wrote:
Sigh. Jersey City. It could be something. But it isn't.

That sums it up all to well, unfortunately.

Posted on: 2017/6/27 23:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
As opposed to low-price schlock that virtually no one attends? I'll take the restoration. And you are being overly simplistic assigning an one-price-fits-all to things - some shows would be expensive, others (particularly community run events) would be much less so. You claim to be a free markets guy - what could be better than that?

The city never really understood what it was doing nor what it was up against. As a result, we'll be stuck in this nowhere for years to come - not enough money to properly restore and renovate (so no ability to book big acts and earn your way out of the hole) and people running the thing who believe it's their own little playhouse, either clueless or indifferent to what the broader public (i.e. taxpayers, who are subsidizing their clubhouse) want.

Sigh. Jersey City. It could be something. But it isn't.

Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Having been to the Loew's Wonder Theater in Brooklyn, which did have a (almost $100 million restoration) if this was done in JSQ you'd be looking at ticket prices that only downtown people could afford.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01 ... lyn-photos_n_2536835.html

Posted on: 2017/6/27 21:17

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017