Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
51 user(s) are online (41 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 51

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Jersey City Drops Lawsuit Against the Friends of the Loews Jersey City Landmark Theatre
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/5 1:44
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Once they complete the remediation process the air should be much cleaner.

Posted on: 2017/6/27 20:57

Re: Jersey City Drops Lawsuit Against the Friends of the Loews Jersey City Landmark Theatre
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/1 14:07
From Earth
Group:
Registered Users
There are some serious air quality issues which have to be resolved in the theatre. I attended the showing of 1984 a few months back and my breathing was impacted for days. I won't return until a complete overhaul takes place. It's just pathetic.

Posted on: 2017/6/27 20:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/26 19:42
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

mpwJC wrote:
I still don't see how this is better for Jersey City residents than the AEG deal that was blocked a few years ago. That deal would have led to $30 million in renovations and large national headlining acts coming to Jersey City. They were also set to have 40 community events annually.

Until Loews is fully renovated, promoters and artists will not be interested in making Jersey City a stop on their tours. Unless FOL and the city have a new plan to make that happen, I'm uninterested in whatever is going on at Loews. It is a waste of a beautiful old theatre to have nothing but sparsely attended local events and old films on the event schedule. I appreciate FOL for saving the theatre from demolition and keeping it alive to this point, but if Loews is ever going to reach its full potential, professionals will need to be involved.

Having been to the Loew's Wonder Theater in Brooklyn, which did have a (almost $100 million restoration) if this was done in JSQ you'd be looking at ticket prices that only downtown people could afford.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01 ... lyn-photos_n_2536835.html

From what I see the price of tickets are for the comedy shows in Loews Wonder Theater online the tickets aren't unreasonably expensive compared to what I pay to see the same type of show in Newark NJPAC. It's not like the crowd is mostly Downtown types over there either. People tend to be willing to pay more for events they feel are worth it even if they aren't making a ton of money.

Posted on: 2017/6/14 22:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mpwJC wrote:
I still don't see how this is better for Jersey City residents than the AEG deal that was blocked a few years ago. That deal would have led to $30 million in renovations and large national headlining acts coming to Jersey City. They were also set to have 40 community events annually.

Until Loews is fully renovated, promoters and artists will not be interested in making Jersey City a stop on their tours. Unless FOL and the city have a new plan to make that happen, I'm uninterested in whatever is going on at Loews. It is a waste of a beautiful old theatre to have nothing but sparsely attended local events and old films on the event schedule. I appreciate FOL for saving the theatre from demolition and keeping it alive to this point, but if Loews is ever going to reach its full potential, professionals will need to be involved.

Having been to the Loew's Wonder Theater in Brooklyn, which did have a (almost $100 million restoration) if this was done in JSQ you'd be looking at ticket prices that only downtown people could afford.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01 ... lyn-photos_n_2536835.html

Posted on: 2017/6/14 16:07

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/3 13:26
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/6/14 14:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Well said!

Posted on: 2017/6/13 22:22

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/2/24 0:49
Group:
Registered Users
Friends of the Loew's IS a non-profit arts center organization. The difference between us and NJPAC or BergenPAC, for example, is that both entities have benefited from considerable support by their local governments (& in NJPAC's case, much state support as well).

But in the case of the Loew's, it's unfortunately a matter of record that Jersey City has just not provided the support it agreed to when FOL took the lease of the Theatre. That difference is huge, and it has meant that FOL can't operate the Loew's like any other arts center.

The City's failure to be supportive has been crippling, denying funding for important repairs specified in the lease as necessary before FOL can greatly increase programming, and more broadly has undercut FOL's credibility with private funders.

But hopefully, these problems are behind us. Since the first of the year, we've been working with the City to define a plan that will bring in major commercial shows -- as FOL has always said is necessary -- but within a structure that will allow FOL to pursue broader programming and ensure that some of the proceeds from the commercial shows will help support that programming.

Stay tuned as we continue to work towards this goal with the City.

Posted on: 2017/6/13 22:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/26 19:42
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Hope one day it can be used for comedy shows so I don't have to go to Newark or NYC anymore, I can just stay in JC.

Posted on: 2017/6/13 21:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
12/27 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Well, it is election so let's get rid of problems. He doesn't want Bill to use this against him.

Posted on: 2017/6/13 20:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
This is the right thing to do, finally. This gem should never be handed over entirely to a corporate entertainment monopoly. Rather it needs to be established a non-profit performing arts center akin to NJPAC or BergenPAC in its org structure. Get a real staff in there that will run it right and still partner with FOL (not saying they should be in total control). A PAC format would allow for profitable bookings yet still keep an arts and community focus also.

I would have preferred the for-profit bookings, to be honest. Dedicate 20 percent of time to local arts and the rest to some headline events, as long as it's being put to productive use, which is not true of the current situation. I'm happy FOL saved the building and we should always be in their debt, but is anyone really happy with how it's currently being operated?

Posted on: 2017/6/13 20:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
This is the right thing to do, finally. This gem should never be handed over entirely to a corporate entertainment monopoly. Rather it needs to be established a non-profit performing arts center akin to NJPAC or BergenPAC in its org structure. Get a real staff in there that will run it right and still partner with FOL (not saying they should be in total control). A PAC format would allow for profitable bookings yet still keep an arts and community focus also.

Posted on: 2017/6/13 18:39

Jersey City Drops Lawsuit Against the Friends of the Loews Jersey City Landmark Theatre
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/3/2 18:39
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
JERSEY CITY ? Mayor Steven M. Fulop announced today that the city of Jersey City is dropping its lawsuit against the Friends of the Loews, the non-profit organization that currently manages the historic Loews Theatre in Journal Square, as the administration and the non-profit work together toward the theater?s future.
riverviewobserver.net/2017/06/jersey-city-drops-lawsuit-friends-loews/

Posted on: 2017/6/13 14:43

« 1 2 (3)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017