Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
91 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 91

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Traffic Lights in JC Are All Out of Sync
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

EasyGibson wrote:
It's certainly cured me of hanging out in the Heights.

JFK is so bad I just never take it anymore. It's literally faster to go out to dinner in Maplewood than it is to make it up there on a weekend night when they've programmed every light to be red.
I'd walk like I used to, but I have a kid now and you just can't stroller those things for 2 miles and expect your evening to be ok.

Shit's on fire, yo.

The Blvd has been bad for ages and with the Anal Reaming construction job that is Observer Hwy fuhgeddaboudit.

Montgomery Street by City Hall is green -red- green all the way up and down.

Can't be the county in control of that clusterfuk as well.

What a joke that these simple systems don't work.

Posted on: 2017/6/14 3:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/17 3:49
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
It's certainly cured me of hanging out in the Heights.

JFK is so bad I just never take it anymore. It's literally faster to go out to dinner in Maplewood than it is to make it up there on a weekend night when they've programmed every light to be red.
I'd walk like I used to, but I have a kid now and you just can't stroller those things for 2 miles and expect your evening to be ok.

Shit's on fire, yo.

Posted on: 2017/6/14 1:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
If everyone is complaining then it's working. Controlling and changing bad driving behavior will benefit all.

Posted on: 2017/6/14 0:17
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Still a total joke where every other light is out of sync.

You're lucky to crawl as trying to drive with any amount of traffic flow is a total joke in Jersey City.

Posted on: 2017/6/13 23:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Sip Ave and Tonnelle Ave. It has more car traffic than humans. You have to push the button to get a walk signal. Also, I used to have to push the buttons on Warren St to cross Grand, Montgomery or Columbus.

Anyway, this is neat. You can see all the requests.

http://en.seeclickfix.com/jersey-city

Posted on: 2017/1/11 1:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Annod wrote:
This was 2015. The button was stuck.

There are streets in Jersey City, that if you don't push the button, and depending on the time of day, the pedestrian walk sign will not change.

Ok, but given the timing changes of a few months ago that I outlined - this particular button problem is not a current issue. On the old JFK timings, you had to push the button from 7pm-7am M-F, and all weekend to change the light for peds to cross JFK. That's why the lights would stay green for blocks on end late at night and created a raceway for drivers. Now the greens change on a set cycle overnight to eliminate that.

There are definitely other intersections in JC (though I do not know which ones aside from JFK blvd) where automatic signal timing is in effect during certain hours. During such cycles, the ped buttons are effectively turned off an you cannot override a signal cycle by pushing it. Other times (like the old JFK timings), you'd have to push it to get the greens to turn red. I've asked a few times why signage cannot be added to these buttons to stat the hours the buttons are in effect and should be used. But its fallen on deaf ears.

Posted on: 2017/1/10 20:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
This was 2015. The button was stuck.

There are streets in Jersey City, that if you don't push the button, and depending on the time of day, the pedestrian walk sign will not change.

Posted on: 2017/1/10 0:43

Edited by Annod on 2017/1/10 1:10:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
In Jersey City, only JFK & Rt 139 are county roads, fyi. Google maps marks other roads too, but that is incorrect.

With the new timing cycles on JFK blvd, the Walk buttons are no longer needed/in use. I know that's not apparent, but just sharing the knowledge. Its not broken.

Posted on: 2017/1/9 17:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Some roads are county roads and maintained by Hudson County.

I reported a walk button that was broken on Kennedy Blvd at Journal Square, and the City said that they forwarded it to the County.

Posted on: 2017/1/7 16:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
there's a SUPER dangerous situation going on at the corner near Five Guys (Columbus and Warren Streets).

when you're crossing Columbus on the east side of the intersection, walking south, away from Five Guys, the walk signal coincides with the left turn signal, putting pedestrians right into the path of southbound cars turning left onto Columbus from Warren.

the signal, with its green left-turn arrow and white walking man, is literally telling people to cross while it's telling drivers to drive through that same crosswalk.

it's a tragedy waiting to happen.

I've reported it on see click fix, with no results. also posted photos on assorted facebook community groups. nada.

who do I reach out to?

I suggest reaching out to your Councilwoman, Candice Osborne.

Posted on: 2017/1/5 14:24

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/1 13:27
Group:
Registered Users
Well, thanks for coming to my defense. I live in exchange place and work at Newport and indeed, I do walk or ride my bike to work every day.

When I bike, the lights are still an issue as I abide by the laws of the road.

That said, sometimes I need to drive on Washington street to get someplace many miles away.

Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
I don't know your situation, so don't take this personally...but for many people it takes about 15-20 minutes to walk a mile. Maybe we could consider doing that?

This is not directed at you, JCishome. But, your reply prompted me to reply in general terms.

I am all for alternate / mixed modes of transportation, and for walking and biking to places whenever possible, but it is super annoying and puzzling when so many of the "pro mass transit" or "anti car" people try to tell every person alive that "you should just walk" or "bike there, it's only a mile". For some people or some situations, walking or biking are not valid options. For all we know, ChaChaWoo needed to drop off a heavy box at the UPS Store in Newport, or maybe he was picking up something heavy at Sears, or perhaps the trip to Newport was just a leg as part of a longer drive to run a bunch of errands. Yes, we should encourage people to walk and bike, and to use mass transit, but we can't be so blind as to be dogmatic about it. There are some situations when a car is a necessity, or perhaps a better choice.

Posted on: 2017/1/5 13:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
there's a SUPER dangerous situation going on at the corner near Five Guys (Columbus and Warren Streets).

when you're crossing Columbus on the east side of the intersection, walking south, away from Five Guys, the walk signal coincides with the left turn signal, putting pedestrians right into the path of southbound cars turning left onto Columbus from Warren.

the signal, with its green left-turn arrow and white walking man, is literally telling people to cross while it's telling drivers to drive through that same crosswalk.

it's a tragedy waiting to happen.

I've reported it on see click fix, with no results. also posted photos on assorted facebook community groups. nada.

who do I reach out to?

Posted on: 2017/1/5 4:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
That's an interesting idea. You could also do the same with Columbus & Montgomery (the section east of the turnpike). Put CC on a road diet and add bus rapid transit and a protected bike lane to it.

Hard to do since CC is both the on and off ramp for the TPK.

Posted on: 2017/1/5 4:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

nafco wrote:
There are ways to do both. Out of sync lights are actually not an effective way to reduce the speed cars drive on major thoroughfares. A straight shot of greens may encourage speeders but out of sync lights begin to make drivers anxious and they try to speed off a green to try to make the next light before it turns red.

The solution is to time the lights so that they turn green as you pull up to them going approx. 30 mph. This will naturally slow cars down to avoid slamming on brakes before coming to the lights too early, but keeps a steady, slow and non-angering pace for drivers.

This is only possible obviously on one-way avenues and so its more successful in NYC where it has been proven to work, but out of sync lights are not the answer. Not sure much can be done on JFK, Washington and other 2 way boulevards though.

There are too many 2 way N-S streets in JC. A grid of alternating 1 way's would allow more flow, but timed and controlled as you say. For example, Palisade and Baldwin should be a pair of 1 way avenues, as should Central and Summit. Unfortunately there's no other 4 lane avenue to pair with JFK, but perhaps the other timed roads would pull traffic off it.

That's an interesting idea. You could also do the same with Columbus & Montgomery (the section east of the turnpike). Put CC on a road diet and add bus rapid transit and a protected bike lane to it.

Posted on: 2017/1/4 20:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

nafco wrote:
There are ways to do both. Out of sync lights are actually not an effective way to reduce the speed cars drive on major thoroughfares. A straight shot of greens may encourage speeders but out of sync lights begin to make drivers anxious and they try to speed off a green to try to make the next light before it turns red.

The solution is to time the lights so that they turn green as you pull up to them going approx. 30 mph. This will naturally slow cars down to avoid slamming on brakes before coming to the lights too early, but keeps a steady, slow and non-angering pace for drivers.

This is only possible obviously on one-way avenues and so its more successful in NYC where it has been proven to work, but out of sync lights are not the answer. Not sure much can be done on JFK, Washington and other 2 way boulevards though.

There are too many 2 way N-S streets in JC. A grid of alternating 1 way's would allow more flow, but timed and controlled as you say. For example, Palisade and Baldwin should be a pair of 1 way avenues, as should Central and Summit. Unfortunately there's no other 4 lane avenue to pair with JFK, but perhaps the other timed roads would pull traffic off it.

Posted on: 2017/1/4 17:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/27 19:59
From journal square
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/1/4 16:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

kencares wrote:
I hope you guys are also pushing for better public transit options to get across the city rather than just slowing everyone down.

"You guys"? As if other people are responsible for volunteering their valuable time to do the work for you? What are you doing to help? Honest question.

Also, to add more info - the light timings on JFK blvd have only been altered for nights/weekends. It was necessary due to the crash and fatality rate, and is a great step in the right direction for safer streets for all roadway users.

Posted on: 2017/1/4 16:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:11
From HamiltonPARK
Group:
Registered Users
The whole point is that Jersey City should never be someone's "short cut" to the Holland Tunnel. Slowed traffic is safer and, if you live in JC, expected.

Posted on: 2017/1/4 16:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
Totally agree, and it's even more annoying when people respond with things like "my goodness it's only a mile, I'd just walk!" Every person and situation is different. But I know that sometimes I need to remind myself that I could just as easily walk as jump in the car for every place I have to go.

Posted on: 2017/1/4 15:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
I don't know your situation, so don't take this personally...but for many people it takes about 15-20 minutes to walk a mile. Maybe we could consider doing that?

This is not directed at you, JCishome. But, your reply prompted me to reply in general terms.

I am all for alternate / mixed modes of transportation, and for walking and biking to places whenever possible, but it is super annoying and puzzling when so many of the "pro mass transit" or "anti car" people try to tell every person alive that "you should just walk" or "bike there, it's only a mile". For some people or some situations, walking or biking are not valid options. For all we know, ChaChaWoo needed to drop off a heavy box at the UPS Store in Newport, or maybe he was picking up something heavy at Sears, or perhaps the trip to Newport was just a leg as part of a longer drive to run a bunch of errands. Yes, we should encourage people to walk and bike, and to use mass transit, but we can't be so blind as to be dogmatic about it. There are some situations when a car is a necessity, or perhaps a better choice.

Posted on: 2017/1/4 14:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/1/4 13:31

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/1 13:27
Group:
Registered Users
The lights on Washington downtown are ridiculous. I typically sit at 75% of the lights on that road to travel the one mile from exchange place to newport.

Posted on: 2017/1/4 13:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/28 15:11
Group:
Registered Users
I hope you guys are also pushing for better public transit options to get across the city rather than just slowing everyone down.

Posted on: 2017/1/4 4:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
If you're referring to the ones on Kennedy they purposely shortened the green light time to stave the traffic flow. It started to become a raceway where cars would be able to gain ten to fifteen blocks before the next red popped up. Safe Streets J.C. a grassroots organization is behind the effort to slow the murderers and murders down due to crashes and hit and runs.

Posted on: 2017/1/4 0:57
Get on your bikes and ride !

Traffic Lights in JC Are All Out of Sync
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Might help the flow of traffic around the city if every other traffic light was somewhat in sync with each other.

Posted on: 2017/1/4 0:14

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017