Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
64 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 64

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 60 »

Re: PATH (pathetic attempt at transporting humans)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/20 23:45
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
Anyone know the full story about the stairs at the south end of the 33rd Street station?

I thought the sign said they'd be closed through the end of 2017. Today I hoped to use them, but the sign now says they're closed "through early 2018." That sign may have been changed months ago, for all I know.

I'm just wondering what could they possibly be doing that the stairs are closed for 4 months (and counting)?

Google searching and PATH website searching hasn't yielded any information.

Posted on: 2018/1/2 16:20

Re: Making Jersey City Yours
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/18 15:56
Group:
Registered Users
Who would that be? It's on the sidewalk between the covering of the staircase and the building. Is there someone on the other end of the see-click and fix that has a rapid response pooper scoop?

(I didn't originally put this in the PATH thread - it got moved here.)

Posted on: 2017/12/5 15:12

Re: Making Jersey City Yours
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/12 20:58
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I hope you reported to someone who can actually do something about it as well.

Posted on: 2017/12/5 14:44

Making Jersey City Yours
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/18 15:56
Group:
Registered Users
Might want to avoid the PATH entrance on the SE corner of Grove and Columbus. Somebody took a dump alongside the stairs. From the looks of it, a large, well-fed someone.

Posted on: 2017/12/5 14:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Man seriously hurt in fall at World Trade Center Oculus

POSTED 12:49 PM, AUGUST 1, 2017, BY SAMANTHA TATA, UPDATED AT 01:11PM, AUGUST 1, 2017

MANHATTAN ? A man was seriously hurt Tuesday when he fell inside the Oculus at the World Trade Center, FDNY said.

The victim plummeted about 25 to 30 feet inside the transit hub and shopping center, fire officials said. He suffered serious traumatic injury.

FDNY said they received an emergency call shortly after 12 p.m. EMS transported a patient from 185 Greenwich St., the address of Westfield World Trade Center, to the hospital in serious condition.

Additional details were not immediately available.

A witness shared video from inside the Oculus, showing a wide police perimeter set up inside the transit hub around what appears to be a messenger bag.

In February, a woman died after plunging 30 feet off the side of an escalator at the Oculus.

http://pix11.com/2017/08/01/man-serio ... orld-trade-center-oculus/

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/08/01/fall-inside-wtc-oculus/

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/ ... estigation-437893993.html

Pictures:
http://www.fox5ny.com/news/271289805-story

More pictures:
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/m ... nhattan-article-1.3374756

Posted on: 2017/8/1 17:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Azul_the_Cat wrote:
How Santiago Calatrava was awarded the design for this is beyond me. The man has been sued so many times for leaks. He is known for a good visual aesthetic, but poor follow through.

IIRC there weren't many suits when he won the competition. It was quite some time ago, after all.

It's not really clear that the leaks are Calatrava's fault. It's not like these buildings are designed to leak, and architects have limited control over the GC and subcontractors.

Plus, when something goes wrong in a building, everyone gets sued, even "starchitects." It's mostly a game to wring money out of the insurers.

What Calatrava is on the hook for are some of the inflated costs, as his designs are rather expensive to construct. Even in that respect, there were a lot of factors that drove the cost of the Oculus through the roof, such as demanding more steel in the structure, or Bloomberg demanding an accelerated schedule.

Posted on: 2017/7/21 20:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/2 11:06
From Scenic McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
How Santiago Calatrava was awarded the design for this is beyond me. The man has been sued so many times for leaks. He is known for a good visual aesthetic, but poor follow through.

Posted on: 2017/7/21 14:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Leaky Ceiling Still A Problem At WTC Oculus

July 20, 2017 5:44 PM

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) ? There were sunshine and dry skies Thursday, but, still, water was leaking from the ceiling at the World Trade Center Oculus transportation hub.

It also happened in May, but the Port Authority said the problem had been fixed.

As CBS2?s Tony Aiello reported, a worker mopped up water while buckets collected the stuff dripping from the ceiling.

?It leaks when it rains,? said Oculus visitor Janet Parson. ?No, it?s not raining (Thursday), but it?s worse when it rains. But there?s always a leak, almost always a leak.?

It?s a blemish on what some consider one of the great public spaces in the world.

The leaky ceiling is just down the stairs from the great hall of the Oculus, the soaring space was designed by star architect Santiago Calatrava, which came in seven years late and $2 billion over budget.

One informed estimate has Calatrava collecting more than $50 million for his design work at the site, one of the greatest paydays in the history of architecture.

Critics say his ambitious designs often lead to problems. The facade at a Spanish opera house had to be stripped because tiles kept falling off, while the owner of a winery sued Calatrava over the leaky roof.

?His designs are pretty cool, but he had a lot of problems with overcost, especially like it always costed more than what?s expected,? said Albero Armenbariz, a tourist from Calatrava?s native Spain.

The Oculus was an enormous and complicated project. But the Port Authority says the leaks aren?t a consequence of the design, blaming ?outside third party construction work,? apparently at 3 World Trade Center next door.

The Port Authority says engineers are working on a fix.

Until then, buckets are an unintended addition to the spectacular space.

Video:
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/07/20/wtc-oculus-leaky-ceiling/

Posted on: 2017/7/21 1:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/21 2:00
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jklm wrote:
On north end of downtown platform (back of the train) go down the stairs as if going to the uptown train, walk towards uptown platform, look around for the station turnstiles and you see sign for WTC/PATH - follow that and you should find the exit to the long corridor to Occulus.

Found it, thanks! I never would have found it without those instructions, and still, it wasn't so easy.

Posted on: 2017/6/21 1:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/1 19:35
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

anonymess wrote:
Embarrassing question. I recently began taking the WTC PATH to the 4/5 train. I can't seem to find the underground passage from the downtown subway to the Oculus. I don't have an issue the other way, from the PATH to the 4/5 train. I never see any workers around to ask. Help!

On north end of downtown platform (back of the train) go down the stairs as if going to the uptown train, walk towards uptown platform, look around for the station turnstiles and you see sign for WTC/PATH - follow that and you should find the exit to the long corridor to Occulus.

Posted on: 2017/6/19 19:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

anonymess wrote:
Embarrassing question. I recently began taking the WTC PATH to the 4/5 train. I can't seem to find the underground passage from the downtown subway to the Oculus. I don't have an issue the other way, from the PATH to the 4/5 train. I never see any workers around to ask. Help!

I have yet to find the way out of that Escher drawing. have given up trying, and just go right to street level and find my way to the PATH overground.

another odd PATH/subway connection: the A/C.
signs in the occulus point commuters towards the Fulton Street stop, which takes forever to find and involves numerous staircases. on the other hand, following signs to the E train puts you a short easy underground walk from the Chambers Street A/C.

Posted on: 2017/6/19 13:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

anonymess wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Don't be embarrassed. I have heard the same thing from other people. Something about the layout seems to throw off most people's sense of direction. I am able to make my way to/from but, off the top of my head, I can't come up with good, clear directions. I guess I will have to pay closer attention next time I am at Fulton. I do seem to recall some PATH "signs" being added recently to help with this problem. You know, the typical MTA signs that have a name and a "general direction" arrow.

Whew, I thought it was only me. There are signs for the PATH but I wind up outside on Fulton St., at least the signs I've followed. It's not a big deal but it would be nice not to have to go outside in inclement weather. I suppose I can figure it out by going to the downtown side of the subway from the WTC and trace my steps from there.

Just a few weeks ago I heard from two different people that instead of getting off at Fulton they ride the subway to Chambers, as they always get lost when trying to navigate from Fulton. So, definitely not just you.

Posted on: 2017/6/19 13:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Don't be embarrassed. I have heard the same thing from other people. Something about the layout seems to throw off most people's sense of direction. I am able to make my way to/from but, off the top of my head, I can't come up with good, clear directions. I guess I will have to pay closer attention next time I am at Fulton. I do seem to recall some PATH "signs" being added recently to help with this problem. You know, the typical MTA signs that have a name and a "general direction" arrow.

Whew, I thought it was only me. There are signs for the PATH but I wind up outside on Fulton St., at least the signs I've followed. It's not a big deal but it would be nice not to have to go outside in inclement weather. I suppose I can figure it out by going to the downtown side of the subway from the WTC and trace my steps from there.

Posted on: 2017/6/19 12:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

anonymess wrote:

Posted on: 2017/6/19 11:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/6/19 11:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
What a shock that perhaps the most corrupt and least accountable organization in the country continues to produce such stellar results.

Quote:

Annod wrote:
Oculus is still leaking despite Port Authority saying it isn?t

By Danielle Furfaro and Stephanie Pagones
May 29, 2017 | 4:43pm

The Oculus is still leaking.

The rain this past week caused puddles and slick floors near the balconies and elevators on both sides of Ground Zero?s $4 billion transit hub, and, at this point, the problem is considered chronic.

?There are leaks on this side and that side, those two balconies, by the elevators, and then the back also. It?s a mess,? said one maintenance worker. ?We soak it up and drain it. It?s a lot of work. It?s nonstop.?

Earlier this month, Port Authority officials put the blame for the leak on a nearby construction project and promised to fix it. On Friday, the agency issued an astonishing statement denying that the Oculus is still leaking.

?There were no leaks in the Oculus this week,? spokesman Steve Coleman said, even though a Post reporter saw the leaks firsthand. The water often leaves the marble floor feeling more like an impromptu ice skating rink, making it dangerous for visitors.

?People do have accidents. Like the last rainy day, somebody almost broke their neck here on the marble,? said the maintenance worker. The woman was walking down the stairs when she slid on a puddle, he said. ?They slipped and they really hurt themselves because, you know, these are marble floors.?

Workers at the site say the construction of the ambitious building was a rush job that left many loose ends. Even thought the Oculus opened in August, construction workers are still putting the finishing touches on it because there was so much left undone, they said.

?Everything is not done so you?ve have to come back and do it,? said construction worker Shawn Cumberbatch, 41, who was caulking a seam in the main room that had been left unsealed for months. ?They just wasted a lot of cash over here. This should have been done. If they just took their time and got it right the first time, we wouldn?t have this problem.?

The Santiago Calatrava-designed PATH terminal, which also houses several luxury retailers, opened in March 2016 ? seven years behind schedule and $2 billion over budget. The mall portion of the building opened in August.

Not only is the building still suffering from leaks and holes, but the design of the building makes the interior weather very uncomfortable, say retail workers who have to spend all day on the floor.

?They didn?t put much thought into the construction itself. It?s half-assed,? said Stephany Rivera, 23, an assistant manager at children?s clothing and toy store Kingkow. ?It?s frustrating. It?s heat. You feel heat in here, you feel nothing out there. You expected this place to be cool with so many vents like that, but nothing. There?s just no wind. You just feet hot.?

Even the new escalators are also already perpetually breaking, say workers.

?The escalators constantly mess up,? said the maintenance man. ?Sometimes they just get stuck.?

http://nypost.com/2017/05/29/oculus-i ... authority-saying-it-isnt/

Posted on: 2017/5/30 21:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
How can it be a "rush job" when they went over their timeline and also budget? I hope they have enough PATH employees to lay out the mats and dry up the floors when it rains. Pathetic!

Posted on: 2017/5/30 16:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Oculus is still leaking despite Port Authority saying it isn?t

By Danielle Furfaro and Stephanie Pagones
May 29, 2017 | 4:43pm

The Oculus is still leaking.

The rain this past week caused puddles and slick floors near the balconies and elevators on both sides of Ground Zero?s $4 billion transit hub, and, at this point, the problem is considered chronic.

?There are leaks on this side and that side, those two balconies, by the elevators, and then the back also. It?s a mess,? said one maintenance worker. ?We soak it up and drain it. It?s a lot of work. It?s nonstop.?

Earlier this month, Port Authority officials put the blame for the leak on a nearby construction project and promised to fix it. On Friday, the agency issued an astonishing statement denying that the Oculus is still leaking.

?There were no leaks in the Oculus this week,? spokesman Steve Coleman said, even though a Post reporter saw the leaks firsthand. The water often leaves the marble floor feeling more like an impromptu ice skating rink, making it dangerous for visitors.

?People do have accidents. Like the last rainy day, somebody almost broke their neck here on the marble,? said the maintenance worker. The woman was walking down the stairs when she slid on a puddle, he said. ?They slipped and they really hurt themselves because, you know, these are marble floors.?

Workers at the site say the construction of the ambitious building was a rush job that left many loose ends. Even thought the Oculus opened in August, construction workers are still putting the finishing touches on it because there was so much left undone, they said.

?Everything is not done so you?ve have to come back and do it,? said construction worker Shawn Cumberbatch, 41, who was caulking a seam in the main room that had been left unsealed for months. ?They just wasted a lot of cash over here. This should have been done. If they just took their time and got it right the first time, we wouldn?t have this problem.?

The Santiago Calatrava-designed PATH terminal, which also houses several luxury retailers, opened in March 2016 ? seven years behind schedule and $2 billion over budget. The mall portion of the building opened in August.

Not only is the building still suffering from leaks and holes, but the design of the building makes the interior weather very uncomfortable, say retail workers who have to spend all day on the floor.

?They didn?t put much thought into the construction itself. It?s half-assed,? said Stephany Rivera, 23, an assistant manager at children?s clothing and toy store Kingkow. ?It?s frustrating. It?s heat. You feel heat in here, you feel nothing out there. You expected this place to be cool with so many vents like that, but nothing. There?s just no wind. You just feet hot.?

Even the new escalators are also already perpetually breaking, say workers.

?The escalators constantly mess up,? said the maintenance man. ?Sometimes they just get stuck.?

http://nypost.com/2017/05/29/oculus-i ... authority-saying-it-isnt/

Posted on: 2017/5/29 23:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
the ongoing maintenance of some of his projects have surpassed all expectations, ensuring headaches and unbudgeted expenses for years or generations to come.

No problem at all for the PA, they'll just raise the PATH and tolls like they always do. They're impervious to the public.

You are, of course, correct. It is hard to imagine or fathom a more "undemocratic" institution: they can (essentially) levy a tax on a large population of citizens without having to answer for their actions or decisions. I'm actually more than a little surprised that the PA has gotten this far in its current form.

Posted on: 2017/5/6 21:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
the ongoing maintenance of some of his projects have surpassed all expectations, ensuring headaches and unbudgeted expenses for years or generations to come.

No problem at all for the PA, they'll just raise the PATH and tolls like they always do. They're impervious to the public.

Posted on: 2017/5/6 21:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

Annod wrote:
World Trade Center?s $4 billion Oculus springs leak as water drips on commuters' heads

So when I head into the office on Monday, maybe I will see the Oculus draped with a giant blue tarp...

The PA will soon learn why Calatrava is being sued by so many entities that have implemented his designs.

If the PA had even minimum competence, they never would have hired him to begin with.

Agreed! But, sadly, that ship has sailed. There was some serious failure at due diligence in hiring him. By the time he was hired for this project, a lot of noise was already being generated by those stuck dealing with the shortcomings of his designs. Even in his native Spain, there are a bunch of really upset entities going to court to sue over projects that failed to meet deadlines and budgets because of unnecessary complexities in his designs, and the ongoing maintenance of some of his projects have surpassed all expectations, ensuring headaches and unbudgeted expenses for years or generations to come.

Posted on: 2017/5/6 21:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

Annod wrote:
World Trade Center?s $4 billion Oculus springs leak as water drips on commuters' heads

So when I head into the office on Monday, maybe I will see the Oculus draped with a giant blue tarp...

The PA will soon learn why Calatrava is being sued by so many entities that have implemented his designs.

If the PA had even minimum competence, they never would have hired him to begin with.

Posted on: 2017/5/6 20:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

Annod wrote:

Posted on: 2017/5/6 1:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
What a clusterfuck.

Posted on: 2017/5/6 0:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

Annod wrote:

White marble is going to be very slippery when wet too..

Posted on: 2017/5/5 21:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Annod wrote:

Posted on: 2017/5/5 21:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

MDM wrote:
PATH to 33rd still shutdown. My wife is trying to find another way home via by bus or van. NJ Transit is cross honoring.. but I suspect the buses will be mobbed..

Should probably hang out in a bar or something, otherwise take an uber.

She's Ubering it.. the line looks like something out of a refugee queue of people escaping the zombie apocalypse.

Posted on: 2017/5/5 21:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
PATH to 33rd still shutdown. My wife is trying to find another way home via by bus or van. NJ Transit is cross honoring.. but I suspect the buses will be mobbed..

Should probably hang out in a bar or something, otherwise take an uber.

Posted on: 2017/5/5 21:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/5/5 21:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
Is there a warranty?

Posted on: 2017/5/5 20:55

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 60 »

[Advanced Search]

Login