Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
41 user(s) are online (24 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 41

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Clothing Moths
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks guys. Here's the deal; I have yet to find any holes in my clothes. Is there a chance these aren't the type to actually cause holes in clothes? Are they maybe grain moths, but living in closet??

I bought some poison vapor hanging things called No-Moth that got great reviews. Set them off in each of our closets, went to Europe for a 12 day vacation, and came back ... saw a moth, in my hallway, just chilling. So I think I'm pushing them out of the closets with the poison, but they are just going elsewhere in the house. WTF!

I have also set the sticky traps but I understand that this only identifies that you HAVE moths, as it's only the male moths attracted to the traps. The females which lay the eggs, and the larvae, are unaffected by the traps.

Any other insights? Would an exterminator know what to do, or just do the things that I'm doing?

What a ridiculously annoying insect.

Posted on: 5/9 17:47
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
You should also treat any carpets, drapes and upholstered furniture especially if there is any wool content in these items.

Posted on: 5/9 10:38
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mfadam wrote:
Biscuit - do you think they get in from outside? That's the one thing I can't figure out is how they sneak back every couple years. I don't buy much in the way of clothes to begin with and not second hand (where there is some risk of importing the buggers).

Does JC have a natural clothes moth population??

I wish I knew!!

Posted on: 5/9 9:52
Print Top

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Dry cleaning woolens kills the larvae. Using moth traps kills the moths before they can lay MORE eggs.

Posted on: 5/8 14:20
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Biscuit - do you think they get in from outside? That's the one thing I can't figure out is how they sneak back every couple years. I don't buy much in the way of clothes to begin with and not second hand (where there is some risk of importing the buggers).

Does JC have a natural clothes moth population??

Posted on: 5/8 12:48
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
I've been battling them for ages. it gets like Silence of the Lambs in here.

best luck I've had is twofold: Sealing clothes up in those big tupperware containers for the summer, with a metric shit-ton of moth balls. forget the non-toxic organic stuff. that's sending a boy to do a man's job.

and then on the first real cold snap of winter, I pack everything into those same bins, and leave them out on the deck for a few days (or use the freezer, if there's room).

and yes, vacuum the hell out of your closets and drawers, and lay those sticky traps around.

good luck!

Posted on: 5/8 11:32
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
they are a menace. It's the larvae that do the damage/eating. The ones you see flying around won't chew your clothes but the females will lay eggs. They can stay in the larvae phase for up to 2 years so it is tough to get rid of them.

Start by emptying closet and give it a thorough vacuum and maybe pine sol treatment on floor baseboards. From there you have to decide if you want to dry clean all your clothes or put them in freezer to kill the eggs/larva.

Moths like wool and especially any clothes with dirt/sweat/etc. Cedar sticks don't do much at all, so don't waste money there...
Good luck

Posted on: 5/8 10:03
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
It's not the moths that will eat your clothing, but their larvae. They'll go after wool, cashmere and silk. They don't like strong smells, so you can deter them my storing bars of deodorant soap (like Irish Spring) in your drawers. I also keep my sweaters in ziplock bags.

Posted on: 5/8 9:45
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users
Moths will go after wool and furs, not cotton. I'd say call an exterminator, they can be a pain to eradicate.

Posted on: 5/8 9:01
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Downtown JC, VVP Area
Group:
Registered Users
Had those once but several times in the food pantry where they go after flour especially so I bag things tightly now.

You can buy specific Closet Moth Traps at places like Home Depot. Seem kinda pricey at around $7 for a 2-pack but put one in your closet and keep the door closed as much as possible and they'll be gone in a week or two. The last thing I would want is an exterminator spraying around my clothes closet!

Posted on: 5/8 9:01
Print Top

Clothing Moths
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Has anybody ever battled clothing moths?

We have for a few years, and they just ... keep coming.

While the moths are in our closets and bedroom areas....I have yet to see any damage/holes in clothing. So are they actually causing any damage?

Any advice, or any recommendation of an exterminator to get these guys out of our home?

Posted on: 5/8 0:57
Print Top

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017