Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
51 user(s) are online (27 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 2
Guests: 49

swooshy, HamiltonParker, more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 56 »

Re: PATH (pathetic attempt at transporting humans)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
the ongoing maintenance of some of his projects have surpassed all expectations, ensuring headaches and unbudgeted expenses for years or generations to come.

No problem at all for the PA, they'll just raise the PATH and tolls like they always do. They're impervious to the public.

You are, of course, correct. It is hard to imagine or fathom a more "undemocratic" institution: they can (essentially) levy a tax on a large population of citizens without having to answer for their actions or decisions. I'm actually more than a little surprised that the PA has gotten this far in its current form.

Posted on: 5/6 17:50
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
the ongoing maintenance of some of his projects have surpassed all expectations, ensuring headaches and unbudgeted expenses for years or generations to come.

No problem at all for the PA, they'll just raise the PATH and tolls like they always do. They're impervious to the public.

Posted on: 5/6 17:41
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

Annod wrote:
World Trade Center’s $4 billion Oculus springs leak as water drips on commuters' heads

So when I head into the office on Monday, maybe I will see the Oculus draped with a giant blue tarp...

The PA will soon learn why Calatrava is being sued by so many entities that have implemented his designs.

If the PA had even minimum competence, they never would have hired him to begin with.

Agreed! But, sadly, that ship has sailed. There was some serious failure at due diligence in hiring him. By the time he was hired for this project, a lot of noise was already being generated by those stuck dealing with the shortcomings of his designs. Even in his native Spain, there are a bunch of really upset entities going to court to sue over projects that failed to meet deadlines and budgets because of unnecessary complexities in his designs, and the ongoing maintenance of some of his projects have surpassed all expectations, ensuring headaches and unbudgeted expenses for years or generations to come.

Posted on: 5/6 17:28
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

Annod wrote:
World Trade Center’s $4 billion Oculus springs leak as water drips on commuters' heads

So when I head into the office on Monday, maybe I will see the Oculus draped with a giant blue tarp...

The PA will soon learn why Calatrava is being sued by so many entities that have implemented his designs.

If the PA had even minimum competence, they never would have hired him to begin with.

Posted on: 5/6 16:08
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

Annod wrote:

Posted on: 5/5 21:14
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
What a clusterfuck.

Posted on: 5/5 20:14
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

Annod wrote:

White marble is going to be very slippery when wet too..

Posted on: 5/5 17:54
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Annod wrote:

Posted on: 5/5 17:31
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

MDM wrote:
PATH to 33rd still shutdown. My wife is trying to find another way home via by bus or van. NJ Transit is cross honoring.. but I suspect the buses will be mobbed..

Should probably hang out in a bar or something, otherwise take an uber.

She's Ubering it.. the line looks like something out of a refugee queue of people escaping the zombie apocalypse.

Posted on: 5/5 17:25
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
PATH to 33rd still shutdown. My wife is trying to find another way home via by bus or van. NJ Transit is cross honoring.. but I suspect the buses will be mobbed..

Should probably hang out in a bar or something, otherwise take an uber.

Posted on: 5/5 17:22
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 5/5 17:20
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Is there a warranty?

Posted on: 5/5 16:55
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Exchange Place/JSQ
Group:
Registered Users

Friday, May 5, 2017, 3:19 PM

It seems $4 billion isn’t enough for a good roof.

The World Trade Center’s Oculus transit hub sprung a leak during Friday’s drenching rain storm.

Photos posted on social media show pools of water on the white marble floor of the $4 billion transportation center and shopping mall.

The leak sent streams of commuters rushing toward the exits.

The Port Authority, which controls the transit hub, did not immediately return a request for comment.

The bird-like structure, designed by Spanish architect Santiago Calatrava, opened in March 2016 after years of delays and cost overruns.

The transportation hub was initially slated to cost $2 billion.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/w ... mmuters-article-1.3140183

Posted on: 5/5 16:36
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dcatalana2001 wrote:
With all the growth in this area, I am really not sure why they are not building more infrastructure to support it. I wish the city would think ahead and use budget wisely! Public transportation is crucial for all of us, especially as JC continues to grow.

The people who sign off on new developments (JC) are entirely different from the people in charge of public transport infrastructure (Port Authority and New Jersey Transit).

Both groups only seem concerned with the short term, and don't appear to care about the other. The Path will probably be nightmarishly overcrowded once all the JSQ developments are completed. Though, in fairness, NYC appears to be run in a similar way.

Posted on: 4/11 20:33
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dcatalana2001 wrote:
With all the growth in this area, I am really not sure why they are not building more infrastructure to support it. I wish the city would think ahead and use budget wisely! Public transportation is crucial for all of us, especially as JC continues to grow.

Expense: rail alone costs $billions. Look at the estimated cost just to extend the PATH to EWR over an existing right of way. Then the system has to be subsidized since fares won't cover the operation expenses.

Posted on: 4/11 15:17
Print Top

Hide User information
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 4/11 14:34
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bahalofsky wrote:
Lengthening station platforms is great,
How about safety measures to prevent train derailment?

That's the main thing on mind, with nj transit and Amtrak , only a matter of time before it happens to path trains too

Meh, I don't care - statistically, the trains are much safer than driving.

Posted on: 4/10 23:01
Print Top

Hide User information
From Jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Lengthening station platforms is great,
How about safety measures to prevent train derailment?

That's the main thing on mind, with nj transit and Amtrak , only a matter of time before it happens to path trains too

Posted on: 4/10 22:04
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Also, this will not be popular but I would be in favor of removing seats from the subway cars. Not an ideal situation but I'd rather stand on the PATH than wait on the platform. (You could still keep a few priority seats available for the truly disabled).

Strap hangers across the entire car would help too.

I don’t mind standing, but unlike the laborers and service workers I ride with, I sit on my cracker-butt most of the day and get paid more for it.

So you get paid more huh. Do you normally reveal your salary to strangers on the train ? And what makes you think they make less than you ? You'd be surprised at what people make based on their looks.

lulwut

Posted on: 4/7 16:51
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Also, this will not be popular but I would be in favor of removing seats from the subway cars. Not an ideal situation but I'd rather stand on the PATH than wait on the platform. (You could still keep a few priority seats available for the truly disabled).

I don’t mind standing, but unlike the laborers and service workers I ride with, I sit on my cracker-butt most of the day and get paid more for it.

So you get paid more huh. Do you normally reveal your salary to strangers on the train ? And what makes you think they make less than you ? You'd be surprised at what people make based on their looks.

Posted on: 4/7 16:44
Get on your bikes and ride !
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

third_street_hats wrote:
Quote:

JcDevil wrote:
Open gangway cars can increase capacity by 10% and then, with said open gangway cars, you can probably add an extra train car, maybe even two. If you can just walk into the next car, trains can be longer than the stations.

Agree with the first half, though I'm not sure open gangway would survive the S curve heading into Christopher from Newport.

On the second half, people are way too stupid to be able to handle moving from one car to another to exit.

That's the point of open gangway cars. Its basically just one giant car. They can be enginnered to handle any curve the current trains handle.

Look at this video from Toronto:

https://youtu.be/8wwUY3hFNwo

Posted on: 4/7 14:27
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JcDevil wrote:
Open gangway cars can increase capacity by 10% and then, with said open gangway cars, you can probably add an extra train car, maybe even two. If you can just walk into the next car, trains can be longer than the stations.

Agree with the first half, though I'm not sure open gangway would survive the S curve heading into Christopher from Newport.

On the second half, people are way too stupid to be able to handle moving from one car to another to exit.

Posted on: 4/7 14:21
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From PAD
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 4/7 14:14
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:

Posted on: 4/7 12:03
Print Top

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
From DT JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:

PATH should look at this, but be careful what you wish for... increasing the number of people in a car can have the opposite to intended effect. With more passengers “loading and dwell” times increase, causing trains to stop longer at stations. This can ripple through the entire system limiting overall train movement, resulting in a net decrease in passenger capacity.

It would be reassuring to know that PATH officials have already carefully considered all this. I don't any see any harm from making such information available if they have. One downside might be developers can't push the canard that JC will remain easily “accessible” to NYC during rush hour. But since money talks, I'm not expecting we will learn anything from the PA about this any time soon.

Posted on: 4/7 10:51
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
I agree with both ideas - eliminating seats in at least some cars, and more grab bars throughout the car. I dread being that guy standing in the middle with nothing to hold onto, swaying like a drunken sailor.

Posted on: 4/7 8:55
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:

This is an idea that I think is worthy of consideration. But, not sure why you present it as a binary choice. The PATH could set up trains that incorporate cars of different types. SRO cars could be identified by painting them with a different external color, or by some sort of special decal on the window. One or two such cars could help alleviate overcrowding. Instead of straps hanging from the roof, they could outfit the cars with horizontal bars placed in the middle of the car, making it easier for the vertically challenged to be able to ride safely.

Makes sense to me. And I never understood why the horizontal bars did not extend across the entire car. I always stay in the middle of the car just to make sure I am near them.

Posted on: 4/6 17:33
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:

This is an idea that I think is worthy of consideration. But, not sure why you present it as a binary choice. The PATH could set up trains that incorporate cars of different types. SRO cars could be identified by painting them with a different external color, or by some sort of special decal on the window. One or two such cars could help alleviate overcrowding. Instead of straps hanging from the roof, they could outfit the cars with horizontal bars placed in the middle of the car, making it easier for the vertically challenged to be able to ride safely.

Posted on: 4/6 17:28
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 4/6 16:27
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
Here's a question/thought: I rode from Grove-33rd yesterday (not my usual route) and noted that very few people got off the train at Christopher, 9th, 14th or 23rd. Would it increase capacity to have "express" trains that skipped those stations and went direct to 33rd? This is a legit question, so there's no need to tell me what a dumbass I am.

Besides the one track issue, I think many people are getting off at 33rd now due to the NJTransit issues.

Posted on: 4/6 16:18
Print Top

(1) 2 3 4 ... 56 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017