Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
88 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 88

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: no motorcycles or scooters in jersey city?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/10 13:10
From Downtown JC, VVP Area
Group:
Registered Users
Chanpion13, This forum can be really helpful when the trolls stay away from the subject at hand!

If you can't find a local spot on a neighbor's property, which would be cheap (or even free if you offered to shovel snow for them over next winter try RSS Cycle Storage at 397 7th Street. It's over near the highway overpass, close to Newark Ave. Easy walk from the HP area. Indoors space, very cool crowd who keep and wrench their bikes in there. Talk to Henry, the owner, who's a great guy. 917-816-0042

Ride on!

Posted on: 2017/5/4 19:09

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/21 0:24
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
yep thanks all! i decided on vespa primavera 150. got my permit and taking the basic riding course for the test here. also want to make sure i'm a better rider to myself and for others.

for storage/parking, i'm still in sort of a fix since given the posts here, it seems like DT JC is a bit of a dangerous place for theft. looking for neighbors that will allow me to possibly rent out their unused gated areas, or maybe try to find a garage, just didn't want to pay upwards of $150 for a parking spot for a scooter that takes up a fraction of the space of car.

Posted on: 2017/5/4 16:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
OK, we got that sorted out. The OP mentioned his wife in post #9, and seems to have little experience in NJ, so I was just trying to clarify the passenger rule things for him should he buy a new ride.

Posted on: 2017/5/3 19:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/17 14:03
From Moe's Deli
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcneighbor wrote:
Quote:

pacoYtaco wrote:
I have a Genuine Buddy International 50 and it is registered as a motorcycle, however it falls under the low speed vehicle classification since it's supposed to max at 35mph. No endorsement required. NJ does not have a Scooter plate,
only Motorcycle and Moped and scooters do not fall under the Moped category ever. It's low speed motorcycle. If you get pulled over, show them it is under 50cc.

Quote:

chanpion13 wrote:
thanks all. useful info for sure!

also thanks jcneighbor, that was actually incredibly useful, especially with the parking/locking info. i think my only option now is to do permit parking on the street. honestly i wonder if crime is even bad still in DT JC?

i was wondering how people were getting away with scooters without an endorsement with the recent changes in law. i see now it actually starts at the dealer for classification.

so far i've been to a placed called motorcycle mall a little north of here. it's pretty big, but i didn't see what i wanted exactly.

my wife definitely wants a retro european look, so we've been looking at vespas there. also have genuine scooters on our list, but they don't seem to have a dealer near us.

Paco, as I mentioned below the laws have changed around here at least 3 times in the past 20 years, and I've been riding and wrenching through all of them. And the current law is that anything under 50cc CAN be registered as a moped. Doesn't matter if it's a moped or a scooter, or whether it has pedals. 50cc Scooter owners may OPT to register as a motorcycle so that they COULD carry a passenger. The one thing that hasn't changed is that "carrying a passenger" requires both a motorcycle registration AND a license endorsement REGARDLESS of displacement. So carrying a passenger on a 50cc scooter registered as a motorcycle without an endorsement is illegal. Correct me if I'm wrong-

That is correct. I never carry a passenger.

Posted on: 2017/5/3 19:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

pacoYtaco wrote:
I have a Genuine Buddy International 50 and it is registered as a motorcycle, however it falls under the low speed vehicle classification since it's supposed to max at 35mph. No endorsement required. NJ does not have a Scooter plate,
only Motorcycle and Moped and scooters do not fall under the Moped category ever. It's low speed motorcycle. If you get pulled over, show them it is under 50cc.

Quote:

chanpion13 wrote:

also thanks jcneighbor, that was actually incredibly useful, especially with the parking/locking info. i think my only option now is to do permit parking on the street. honestly i wonder if crime is even bad still in DT JC?

i was wondering how people were getting away with scooters without an endorsement with the recent changes in law. i see now it actually starts at the dealer for classification.

so far i've been to a placed called motorcycle mall a little north of here. it's pretty big, but i didn't see what i wanted exactly.

my wife definitely wants a retro european look, so we've been looking at vespas there. also have genuine scooters on our list, but they don't seem to have a dealer near us.

Paco, as I mentioned below the laws have changed around here at least 3 times in the past 20 years, and I've been riding and wrenching through all of them. And the current law is that anything under 50cc CAN be registered as a moped. Doesn't matter if it's a moped or a scooter, or whether it has pedals. 50cc Scooter owners may OPT to register as a motorcycle so that they COULD carry a passenger. The one thing that hasn't changed is that "carrying a passenger" requires both a motorcycle registration AND a license endorsement REGARDLESS of displacement. So carrying a passenger on a 50cc scooter registered as a motorcycle without an endorsement is illegal. Correct me if I'm wrong-

Posted on: 2017/5/3 18:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Moe's Deli
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

chanpion13 wrote:

Posted on: 2017/5/3 16:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/29 18:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

chanpion13 wrote:
i think my only option now is to do permit parking on the street. honestly i wonder if crime is even bad still in DT JC?

Spoken like a future crime victim. If you truly think crime is non existent in DTJC (or, "even bad still in DT JC") you are either incredibly unaware of your surroundings, or somewhat clueless. Car window smash and grabs are rampant in DTJC. So are other types of small/petty property crimes. I see broken car windows all the type, or the tell tale signs of them (shattered glass along curbs) so that should tell you something. Also, I think it was not even two weeks that some motorcycle was boosted in DTJC by two dudes that lifted it onto a truck. Don't get complacent. You will regret it.

True?
A few months ago in HP I forgot to lock my car and lost my GPS, glasses and coin bag. When I got into my car I thought it smelled like BO. Then I realized that a bunch of shit was missing. From what I can gather is late at night people walk the area checking for unlocked car doors.

Posted on: 2017/5/2 3:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

chanpion13 wrote:
i think my only option now is to do permit parking on the street. honestly i wonder if crime is even bad still in DT JC?

Spoken like a future crime victim. If you truly think crime is non existent in DTJC (or, "even bad still in DT JC") you are either incredibly unaware of your surroundings, or somewhat clueless. Car window smash and grabs are rampant in DTJC. So are other types of small/petty property crimes. I see broken car windows all the type, or the tell tale signs of them (shattered glass along curbs) so that should tell you something. Also, I think it was not even two weeks that some motorcycle was boosted in DTJC by two dudes that lifted it onto a truck. Don't get complacent. You will regret it.

Posted on: 2017/5/2 0:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

chanpion13 wrote:

Just because people are willing to pay 2500/mo plus broker fee for a 1br, doesn't mean your ride is safe. Still see lots of street diamonds downtown.

Posted on: 2017/5/1 18:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

chanpion13 wrote:
. i think my only option now is to do permit parking on the street. honestly i wonder if crime is even bad still in DT JC?

A friend had his full size MC with a wheel lock boosted from NYU. I would not leave it unattached. And even then, all it takes is a battery powered angle grinder.

This was a Kryptonite NYC lock at Grove st. Not mine.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2017/5/1 16:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
If wifey is going to be on the back then it's a motorcycle and you'll need the endorsement on your license.

Part of the confusion at the DMV is because moped laws here in NJ have changed several times in the last several decades. At one point NJ was pretty lax. Then things really tightened up and even a 50cc (49) was considered a motorcycle UNLESS it had pedals and could be pedal-driven. Then that was relaxed to under 50cc regardless of pedals for Moped classification. But still no passenger allowed.

Crime? My buddy's Ducati 650 was swiped last year and recovered in Queens, NY. Two guys and truck, like I said-

My only caution on scooter shopping is to not be tempted by the cheap Chinese knockoffs. They're basically Honda engine clones but made with a bunch of cast (not machined) parts. They'll work fine for a year or two then you'll need a full engine rebuild. Trust me on this one...

I know a local guy who's looking to sell a Vespa 150 that needs a bit of work, if you're interested-

I've never bought a new bike. I'm good with a wrench and fixing up/riding bikes 25-50 years old is just my thing. Plus, any business miles I do (roughly 500 per year) earn me $0.535 per mile as a Federal Deduction so I actually make money while grinning past my earlobes...

Posted on: 2017/5/1 16:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

chanpion13 wrote:
good morning! just curious as to why there were barely any scooters/motorcycles here in jersey city. is there something wrong with the roads or does the township not take kindly to them?

1. city, not township
2. the roads aren't great but the city has no say in if you drive a scooter or not
3. Wait till 3am in the summer, you'll realize there are plenty of motorcycles

Quote:
i recently moved here from astoria, where scooters were common sight, especially among the food delivery service.

1. we had a scooter shop until 2 or so years ago
2. delivery guys seem to use bikes or cars

Quote:
i've been here for about 10 months, and i've seen less than five total.

1. but the whole five months you've been here were winter.

Posted on: 2017/5/1 15:32

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/5/1 15:15

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/16 13:54
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Bit off topic, but we have an electric adult kick scooter, EcoReco, light weight, easy to fold and bring on PATH..need to be careful as JC streets are in such disrepair though.

Posted on: 2017/5/1 14:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
I rode a motorcycle for commuting down to Edison for years before getting married and moving out to the burbs. I had a garage for mine. Motorcycle riders have mostly not been riding until a week or two ago due to the rainy spring, but a few diehard commuters have been on them all winter.

I would just be careful about taking certain routes in town. Be mindful of streets that end in choke points, like the approaches to the Holland Tunnel. Drivers tend to merge aggressively and may not see you. Make sure you also ride in the middle of your lane. I had a car hit me when it tried to squeeze through my lane to make a light that was turning red for which I decided to stop since I was turning left.

Posted on: 2017/5/1 13:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Paco is correct on the endorsement question. Some dealers (for new bikes) will automatically register it as a Motorcycle. Just insist that it be registered as a MOPED. Then you get a license plate that says Moped on it. That classification is a LOT less expensive for insurance purposes. If you register it as a Motorcycle you are legally allowed to carry a passenger. Moped is solo-only in NJ.

The Vespa shop on 10th Street closed several years ago.

For parking, I ALWAYS chain my bikes to a strong object with a hardened steel chain and lock. If two men could pick it up and have it in the back of a truck in about 15 seconds then it's not worth the risk of losing it. I park my daily rider in the small stoop area in front of my house, locked to an iron fence. When I'm out and about I chain it to a sign post or a telephone pole or a parking meter. And FWIW I've never gotten a ticket. I ride roughly 1,000 miles per year at a total annual cost (including insurance) of $100.

Personally, I prefer mopeds with larger-diameter wheels over the small-wheel scooters.

Posted on: 2017/5/1 10:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Moe's Deli
Group:
Registered Users
Most 50cc scooters are actually classified as 49cc so you should be okay without the endorsement thought it's encouraged and the DMV will always tell you that you need it. As long as your scooter has the 49cc sticker in the box under the seat you will be fine if you get pulled over. Been driving one for almost 4 years and never got pulled over, just compliments from cops and people on the road.

Be safe and watch out for the pot holes.

Posted on: 2017/5/1 1:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcneighbor wrote:
Sold my last motorcycle 30 years ago and have been riding old Mopeds here in JC ever since. There are a bunch of us moped collectors, actually, and several of us own more than one. I also know a number of Vespa and big bike riders here in the Downtown area.
Food deliveries around here tend to be electric bikes for the local stuff and by car for deliveries farther away or in bad weather.

Was it just an observation on your part or are you a rider looking for folks with a common interest?

Wasn't there a Vespa shop DT?

Posted on: 2017/5/1 1:03

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
hi, thanks for the response! i am looking into this because i am a potential buyer of a scooter. i was a little nervous since i haven't too many of them here.

i was going to get a 50 cc, thinking i wouldn't need an endorsement on my license but i called the state and they said i definitely need an endorsement to comply with recent law changes regarding the classification of scooters vs mopeds.

i'm trying to figure out parking. someone told me that if i buy a scooter and do permit parking, that there's a high chance someone will steal the scooter.

Posted on: 2017/4/30 23:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Sold my last motorcycle 30 years ago and have been riding old Mopeds here in JC ever since. There are a bunch of us moped collectors, actually, and several of us own more than one. I also know a number of Vespa and big bike riders here in the Downtown area.
Food deliveries around here tend to be electric bikes for the local stuff and by car for deliveries farther away or in bad weather.

Was it just an observation on your part or are you a rider looking for folks with a common interest?

Posted on: 2017/4/30 20:17

no motorcycles or scooters in jersey city?

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
good morning! just curious as to why there were barely any scooters/motorcycles here in jersey city. is there something wrong with the roads or does the township not take kindly to them? i recently moved here from astoria, where scooters were common sight, especially among the food delivery service.

i've been here for about 10 months, and i've seen less than five total.

Posted on: 2017/4/30 14:21

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017