Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
58 user(s) are online (54 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 58

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Liberty Energy - scammer going door to door?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/17 15:41
Group:
Registered Users
I will agree that the residential door knockers are shady but buying deregulated energy in and of itself it not a scam. Anyone looking into switching would definitely want to do their homework. One thing that you would never want is a variable rate contract. The other problem is that PSE&G's rates are the cheapest in the state, so their isn't much incentive to switch in this market to save a few bucks a month.

Those companies would be much better off marketing to JCP&L customers. Their rates are much higher than ours and sometimes change block by block in terms of cost per kilowatt hour. Nobody should be door knocking in this day and age.

Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

jerseyjoe wrote:
Has anybody ever had someone knock on their apartment door, identifying themselves as working for LIBERTY ENERGY?

He had a brochure and ID, saying that they are a clean energy source and are taking a survey to see if I would like to switch.

I live in an apartment building, so someone had to buzz this guy in. He was an Asian gentlemen, probably in his late 40s or so.

I'm assuming it's a scam, right? The company does exist, I googled it.

It's a 3rd party energy re-seller, and yes it's a total scam. Your electric and gas might be cheaper for a month or two after signing up, then your bill will skyrocket but you're locked into a long-term contract. There's a million of these re-sellers out there, most of them are pretty shady and if Liberty Energy or any other re-seller comes to your door again, I suggest you politely slam it in their faces, and call the police if necessary.

This is the grown up version of the kids who sold magazines door-to-door, often at double the normal subscription price, under the guise of fundraising and often hopped up on drugs. It made no sense and I slammed my door in these peoples' face too.

Posted on: 2017/12/6 0:33

Re: Beware - Direct Energy Marketers - latest scam
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/27 23:03
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityFrankie wrote:
7:30 PM Scammers gained entry to my building and knocked on my apartment door. Im on the third floor. No idea who let them in. It?s PERSONAL when they knock on your actual door isn?t it? I?m well versed on the scam so I was not being pleasant when I asked them what they wanted. The scammer stammered some B.S. about ? doing a study of energy consumption?. I told them I knew it was a scam and they dug in their heels and escalated with ugly words of their own, not backing down. Aggressive little bastards. Why can?t the police do something about these cockroaches?

Did you call the cops? Unlawful entry or something like that might be applicable...

Posted on: 2017/12/5 23:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users
7:30 PM Scammers gained entry to my building and knocked on my apartment door. Im on the third floor. No idea who let them in. It?s PERSONAL when they knock on your actual door isn?t it? I?m well versed on the scam so I was not being pleasant when I asked them what they wanted. The scammer stammered some B.S. about ? doing a study of energy consumption?. I told them I knew it was a scam and they dug in their heels and escalated with ugly words of their own, not backing down. Aggressive little bastards. Why can?t the police do something about these cockroaches?

Posted on: 2017/12/5 1:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jerseyjoe wrote:
Has anybody ever had someone knock on their apartment door, identifying themselves as working for LIBERTY ENERGY?

He had a brochure and ID, saying that they are a clean energy source and are taking a survey to see if I would like to switch.

I live in an apartment building, so someone had to buzz this guy in. He was an Asian gentlemen, probably in his late 40s or so.

It's a 3rd party energy re-seller, and yes it's a total scam. Your electric and gas might be cheaper for a month or two after signing up, then your bill will skyrocket but you're locked into a long-term contract. There's a million of these re-sellers out there, most of them are pretty shady and if Liberty Energy or any other re-seller comes to your door again, I suggest you politely slam it in their faces, and call the police if necessary.

This is the grown up version of the kids who sold magazines door-to-door, often at double the normal subscription price, under the guise of fundraising and often hopped up on drugs. It made no sense and I slammed my door in these peoples' face too.

Posted on: 2017/4/23 1:12

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/14 13:09
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Pretty sure the doorman in your building called the cops to get rid of that guy.

Posted on: 2017/4/22 23:10

Liberty Energy - scammer going door to door?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/29 6:03
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/4/22 22:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sam112 wrote:
If anyone is thinking of switching, please see the following links:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/texas- ... panies/direct-energy.html

http://direct-energy.pissedconsumer.com/

Also, I did send an email to Bob Menendez regarding legislative action that could be taken against such deceptive practices. Feel free to do the same (power in numbers). But, would also warn any neighbors who may be prone to become confused or intimated by these marketers.

Since utility companies are mostly regulated at the state level, it might be worth contacting the state Board of Public Utilities (BPU), and your state assemblyperson as well. Here's the state's BPU website:

http://www.nj.gov/bpu/index.shtml

I just don't get it... not only is there no savings to be offered from a reseller (it usually ends up costing you more), the sales techniques they employ are a joke. It seems like the only people who could fall for this nonsense are the elderly and infirm. I hope the state shuts this whole practice down so people who don't know any better aren't defrauded.

This thread, while useful, would be so more entertaining to read if we had one of these types of posts:

1. More anecdotes of peoples' experiences with these moronic door-to-door salespeople,
2. Somebody who wants to defend these moronic door-to-door salespeople, like there was a couple years ago, referring to it as a "legitimate business"
3. Somebody who actually switched to one of these resellers and the frustration they went through getting changed back
4. Somebody who got "slammed" (changed without permission) and the frustration they went through getting changed back

Posted on: 2015/11/16 19:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/2 2:11
Group:
Registered Users
If anyone is thinking of switching, please see the following links:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/texas- ... panies/direct-energy.html

http://direct-energy.pissedconsumer.com/

Also, I did send an email to Bob Menendez regarding legislative action that could be taken against such deceptive practices. Feel free to do the same (power in numbers). But, would also warn any neighbors who may be prone to become confused or intimated by these marketers.

Posted on: 2015/11/16 16:52

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/15 20:10
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
perhaps someone should bring this to the attention of the attorney general

Posted on: 2015/11/16 11:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Direct Energy should be sued for this BS.

All of those energy resellers should be sued for BS, and with their sales methods, it's a miracle they do the level of business that they do.

They send these shady guys around, door-to-door who can barely talk, sound like they're on drugs and just stepped off a bus from a Rahway prison work-release program. They often have no business cards, brochures or identification of any kind. Who the hell buys anything from door-to-door salespeople anymore (other than perhaps Girl Scout cookies) and who the hell would buy anything from them especially? It makes no sense whatsoever.

Posted on: 2015/11/14 22:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Direct Energy should be sued for this BS.

Posted on: 2015/11/14 17:48

Beware - Direct Energy Marketers - latest scam
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/2 2:11
Group:
Registered Users
Just want to warn people that the Direct Energy's door-to-door marketers are out there again with even more bullsh**. They were at my door about 6 weeks ago telling me that I had "not replied to 3 notices". Took me a while to even figure out what they were talking about as they are deliberately vague while being aggressive (like you did something wrong). Once I figured out what the guy was talking about, he got an earful.

Last night, I had 4 or 5 of them at my door. This time, they tried to use the same line (now I haven't "replied to 4 notices") but added more bull. The new twist was that the some of my neighbors (they mentioned names) had switched service and were unhappy and now wanted to switch back. But to have those neighbors switch back they needed everyone in the area to "default" their service.

The marketers were very vague and I would say deliberately confusing which probably is meant to intimate some. My spouse had intially answered the door and basically told them "I don't know what you are talking about". In response, one marketer said "well I just explained it to you - what don't you understand" as if anything they said made sense. FYI, at that point, they had not even mentioned electricity and had just kept saying we need your area to "default".

When I came to the door, I recognized some of crap from the previous month - asked if they were with PSE&G and they nodded as if they were. I asked for their IDs at which point they started to back off. The "leader" of the pack then showed me some paper with "Direct Energy" at the top -- When I challenged them further, they just meekly backed-off and left.

I'm sure they would have tried to get me to show them my PSE&G bill to get my account number to switch my service without my approval. PSE&G said, when they get requests to switch service, they send out a confirmation letter and people have 7 days to respond (e.g. say they do not want their service switched). But, I'm sure there are people to may not read the notice and/or don't realize what is happening until they start to get increased bills.

If you have neighbors who may be intimated or easily confused, please warn them. Again these marketers are using neighbors' names to gain some credibility and are very aggressive. Also for the record, there is no such thing as a whole area needing to "default" for any single household to switch service.

Following is a BBB link for Direct Energy which lists similar tactics:
http://www.bbb.org/houston/business-r ... p-in-houston-tx-16000037/

Posted on: 2015/11/12 17:06

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017