Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
112 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 112

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Anyone have trouble getting a dog license in JC?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/12 2:03
From downtown jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
thanks everyone Sadly, I've been there in person twice now since I live down the street. They're very nice there but the procedures in place are completely inept. I'll write a letter to Fulop's office-hopefully that might do something. Or not...lol. Seems like you have to be on their backwards May scheduling to get a license which makes no sense.

Posted on: 2017/4/11 23:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

shams wrote:
Hi,

I'm having a real hard time getting a dog license for my 9-month old puppy. Anyone else have issues with the JC Dept. of Health & Human services?

Backstory: he is neutered and had his rabies vaccines in Sept 2016 (will need a new rabbies vaccine in a year: Sept 2017). When I went to get his year-long license in January, the elderly man who worked there said I could only get the permit until the end of May when the permits expire.

I thought "ok that's odd, thought I could get it a year from the time of vaccination" because that would make the most logical sense..." But I said ok I'll just come back in April to renew the license until Sept. 2017 when he'd be getting his updated vaccines. I sent them a check in the mail a few weeks ago, and they said "no it's not possible" and that I can only get the year-long licenses for the beginning of May. They can't issue me a year long permit since his vaccines expire within that year-long license window. WTF? Am I supposed to spend all the months from May until Sept. (when he gets his next shots) without a license? This makes no sense.

It doesn't help that I can't really understand what the guy is saying on the phone. Anyone gone through this? Any workarounds? thanks

This is one of those instances where going in person may save you a lot of time and head scratching. I never encountered any issues getting my dog license (which recently lapsed and this thread has reminded me to get that squared away!) but I was "lucky" in that my vaccination schedule more or less fit into their timeline, I suppose. I think the person who helped you was wrong in what they told you: the only limitation of which I am aware is that they will not issue a 3-year license for a dog unless said animal has been received the 3-year rabies vaccine and there is still more than 2 (or 2.5?) years left of inoculation.

In any case, when going in person, I never had any issues, and the staff was pleasant and helpful. That was some time ago, and I do understand that after Fulop came to power, the department head was pushed out, so it could be that the new staff is still not fully up to speed or perhaps not as well informed or helpful as the previous staff. Good luck.

PS - also kudos for doing the right thing. Dog registration and licensing is seemingly hardly done by anyone. And, in fact, it seems like most people don't even know it is a legal requirement in JC.

Posted on: 2017/4/11 17:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/30 19:53
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, it's a horrible system. But it seems to make perfect sense to them

One way is to sync up with their May cycle by getting an extra shot. I've also gotten the 3-year vaccine, but it still didn't sync up with their 3-year May cycle, so I could only get the license issued annually.

I'm also sorry to say that I've also had license lapses because of their crazy system.

Once, I had a senior dog, who had gotten the 3-year vaccine in May, so I applied for the 3-year license and they made sure to inform me that I could not get a refund if the dog died before the license expired. :\

Posted on: 2017/4/11 17:18

Anyone have trouble getting a dog license in JC?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/12 2:03
From downtown jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Hi,

I'm having a real hard time getting a dog license for my 9-month old puppy. Anyone else have issues with the JC Dept. of Health & Human services?

Backstory: he is neutered and had his rabies vaccines in Sept 2016 (will need a new rabbies vaccine in a year: Sept 2017). When I went to get his year-long license in January, the elderly man who worked there said I could only get the permit until the end of May when the permits expire.

I thought "ok that's odd, thought I could get it a year from the time of vaccination" because that would make the most logical sense..." But I said ok I'll just come back in April to renew the license until Sept. 2017 when he'd be getting his updated vaccines. I sent them a check in the mail a few weeks ago, and they said "no it's not possible" and that I can only get the year-long licenses for the beginning of May. They can't issue me a year long permit since his vaccines expire within that year-long license window. WTF? Am I supposed to spend all the months from May until Sept. (when he gets his next shots) without a license? This makes no sense.

It doesn't help that I can't really understand what the guy is saying on the phone. Anyone gone through this? Any workarounds? thanks

Posted on: 2017/4/11 16:17

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017