Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
114 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 114

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: St. Anthony's High School is Closing
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
One thing you missed RCResident, I never said to use public funds or public lands. I said the city could have done a fundraiser for them. There are so many negative things associated with inner youth in JC, St. Anthony was a positive thing. In the video on Showtime, you could see how much the youth loved their school. I am sorry it is not available for the next generation. Our youth needs direction and St. Anthony HS gave them that.

Posted on: 2017/4/6 2:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/26 19:42
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Quote:

JerseyCityNj wrote:
I was expecting this when I seen someone post on here a map of proposed buildings for the area and one of the buildings was where St Anthony's is. Can someone post the link? I can't remember what topic it was posted in.

Roberto Clemente Field/Redevelopment Link

Thanks

Posted on: 2017/4/6 1:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityNj wrote:
I was expecting this when I seen someone post on here a map of proposed buildings for the area and one of the buildings was where St Anthony's is. Can someone post the link? I can't remember what topic it was posted in.

Roberto Clemente Field/Redevelopment Link

Posted on: 2017/4/6 1:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/12 21:59
From Harsuimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

HCResident wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
How is doing a fundraiser is using taxpayers' dollars? It is not. The school closed because there are now more charter high schools in Jersey City. That means no tuition. That also means more students that would go to Catholic schools are now in a public insititution that taxpayers support.
Recently, the city gave land perhaps valued at $100 to $200 million to a private institution for a science center. It will probably receive Redevelopment funds, too. The mayor supports what he wants to support but St. Anthony HS did bring pride to JC without the use of taxpayers dollars. It was worth saving.

It's called separation of church and state Yvonne. We, the taxpayers, aren't supposed to be worrying about whether a Catholic school survives or not. It's a private matter, and it's their business.

And as for a city sponsored fundraiser, those things don't just happen magically. It takes time and effort to put them on. That would be tax payer dollars to pay city workers to organize and run it for a religious institution.

Neither should we worry about a private entity called the Liberty Science Center. Taxpayers should not be on the hook to give them land. As it is, the Science Center does not pay anything to the city because it is tax exempt, too. So why should the city be giving a private organization land?

Well going with your argument, two wrongs don't make a right. But this is something you value, so it's different rules I guess.

Posted on: 2017/4/6 0:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HCResident wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
How is doing a fundraiser is using taxpayers' dollars? It is not. The school closed because there are now more charter high schools in Jersey City. That means no tuition. That also means more students that would go to Catholic schools are now in a public insititution that taxpayers support.
Recently, the city gave land perhaps valued at $100 to $200 million to a private institution for a science center. It will probably receive Redevelopment funds, too. The mayor supports what he wants to support but St. Anthony HS did bring pride to JC without the use of taxpayers dollars. It was worth saving.

It's called separation of church and state Yvonne. We, the taxpayers, aren't supposed to be worrying about whether a Catholic school survives or not. It's a private matter, and it's their business.

And as for a city sponsored fundraiser, those things don't just happen magically. It takes time and effort to put them on. That would be tax payer dollars to pay city workers to organize and run it for a religious institution.

Neither should we worry about a private entity called the Liberty Science Center. Taxpayers should not be on the hook to give them land. As it is, the Science Center does not pay anything to the city because it is tax exempt, too. So why should the city be giving a private organization land?

Posted on: 2017/4/6 0:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Harsuimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Posted on: 2017/4/6 0:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/26 19:42
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/4/5 23:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/4/5 23:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

HCResident wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Doesn't Fulop call himself a progressive?

Guess that's limited to passing meaningless gestures, like mandating that every city building have gender neutral bathrooms. Making substantive contributions towards his ostensible cause, like saving this school because it would tremendously benefit underprivileged youth (or even trying to drum up fundraising support), is apparently too much to ask.

And how do you propose the city government go about saving a private religious institution? I see your posts. Many seem to be of the right of center, market rules variety. Now you want the government involved?

SMH

It's about priorities. Mandating that all city buildings have gender neutral bathrooms is grandstanding, a complete waste of money, and accomplishes absolutely nothing.

That money would be much better spent trying to save this school, and to help the underprivileged youth make something of themselves and stay off the streets. And as I said, the least the guy could do is try and gin up support for fundraising.

It's the difference between caring about looking good vs. actually doing good.

More like the difference between making a logical argument vs. slamming your political opponent.

I don't like Fulop either but your post is nonsensical.

Posted on: 2017/4/5 23:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Harsuimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The city could have had fundraisers for the school. It could have asked developers to contribute to this school. St. Anthony was a positive school and was worth saving. I have seen a Showtime video on this school that went nationwide. This was an unique institution.

This is not a tax payer funded institution. As a matter of fact, it's tax exempt. And you, who drones on and on about tax fairness, shouldn't be expecting the city government to spend a dime organizing for something that is not paying its fair share.

Even if I thought they should, which I don't, I would still say the exact same thing to you, given your stance on tax dollars.

Let's show some consistency here.

Posted on: 2017/4/5 23:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Harsuimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

HCResident wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

Guess that's limited to passing meaningless gestures, like mandating that every city building have gender neutral bathrooms. Making substantive contributions towards his ostensible cause, like saving this school because it would tremendously benefit underprivileged youth (or even trying to drum up fundraising support), is apparently too much to ask.

And how do you propose the city government go about saving a private religious institution? I see your posts. Many seem to be of the right of center, market rules variety. Now you want the government involved?

SMH

It's about priorities. Mandating that all city buildings have gender neutral bathrooms is grandstanding, a complete waste of money, and accomplishes absolutely nothing.

That money would be much better spent trying to save this school, and to help the underprivileged youth make something of themselves and stay off the streets. And as I said, the least the guy could do is try and gin up support for fundraising.

Dude, it's a private institution. This is not a public school. The market forces have spoken. Enrollment is dropping, thus it can no longer support itself.

If it's that damn important to you, then get a bunch of people together and raise funds for it. Or ask the Catholic Church to support it. The larger Church has plenty of money. But government should not be involved in a private, religious institution.

Live by your rules, die by them. Don't flip flop because it's suddenly something you value.

Posted on: 2017/4/5 23:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The city could have had fundraisers for the school. It could have asked developers to contribute to this school. St. Anthony was a positive school and was worth saving. I have seen a Showtime video on this school that went nationwide. This was an unique institution.

Posted on: 2017/4/5 23:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HCResident wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

SMH

Posted on: 2017/4/5 22:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
St. Anthony High School had a national reputation for producing outstanding basketball players.

Yeah not much of a loss then is it ?

Posted on: 2017/4/5 22:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Harsuimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

SMH

Posted on: 2017/4/5 22:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Hamparkvet wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
St. Anthony High School had a national reputation for producing outstanding basketball players.

Thanks.

Yeah, we just assumed they liked tall students...

St. Anthony HS started out as a high school for Polish immigrant children, not tall children. It was part of the now closed grammar school and the church which still exists. The church did well to extend the school to other ethnic groups.

Posted on: 2017/4/5 22:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Marist in Bayonne is also looking grim.

Posted on: 2017/4/5 22:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/4/5 22:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:11
From HamiltonPARK
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Thanks.

Yeah, we just assumed they liked tall students...

Posted on: 2017/4/5 22:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Thanks.

Posted on: 2017/4/5 21:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/4/5 21:13

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/14 17:51
From Chilltown
Group:
Registered Users
Sad day for Jersey City. Sad day for fans of HS basketball. Sad day for lots of underprivileged HS kids in Jersey City.

Bob Hurley is a Jersey City treasure.

Damn...

Posted on: 2017/4/5 21:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/4 19:30
Group:
Registered Users
developers will be salivating to get that land between 6 and 8 Street / Marin to Manila ! I've lived next to St A for 13 years, this sucks. Coach H always stopped to chat.

Posted on: 2017/4/5 20:50

St. Anthony's High School is Closing
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
By Jeremy Schneider | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
on April 05, 2017 2:48 PM, updated April 05, 2017 3:29 PM

JERSEY CITY ? The home of the most storied high school boys basketball program in New Jersey history is closing its doors.

St. Anthony High School will suspend operations at the end of the 2016-17 school year in June due to a lack of funding and dwindling enrollment, a source familiar with the decision told NJ Advance Media. Bob Hurley Sr., the school's principal and basketball team's Hall of Fame coach, was meeting with his staff to announce the news on Wednesday.

More (Sad News)

Posted on: 2017/4/5 20:08

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017