Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
117 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 117

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: 1984 at the Loew's theatre

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/16 3:29
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Hamparkvet wrote:
[quote]
RichMauro wrote:
I went to the showing of 1984 at the Loew's last night. It was a presentation with discussion to follow. All in all, an admirable attempt at a community gathering. As one of the speakers latter opined, there is a need for people to come out for this type of an event so that the arts can be supported from within by those who want to see them flourish.
Unfortunately there wasn't enough time for a lengthy back and forth between audience, moderator and the panel. Had it started an hour earlier I think that the public would have been better served. There was an interesting and enlightened group at the dais who could have given so much more if they had the time.
The film was shown in the right theater. When it comes to remembrance of a grand past reduced to border line squalor we were right at home. I know of what I speak having spent my boyhood years there a half century ago.
When will the "Friends" give over the place to an entity that can bring it back to more of a semblance of what it was. There is still so much grandeur that can be re-presented to the public.
As it stands, it is a downright embarrassment.
I have been attending vintage showings since the reopening of the theater, and I can't believe how little improvement has been accomplished. And yes, I know it was a Herculean effort just to get the place reopened and cleaned for habitation, but come on!!!

Every time I see that damned silly organ pop up and play the inane music that just wastes time I wonder why the funds weren't given over to an air filtration system or air conditioning for the building? No matter how I plead with my wife to accompany me to a showing (and she has in the past) she won't enter the place again because of the mustiness and the filth of the ages that has yet to be removed. Last night as I sat down I realized how right she is. As I gazed at the walls and the ceilings and the upper levels I realized that the dusty air within and the odor of decay cannot be allowed to linger if the theater ever wants to become a place of entertainment value.

I could go on and on, and yes, I appreciate the valor and fortitude in the effort of the volunteers in the comeback they are trying to efface there, but someone has to come to reason and see that filth must be removed from a public gathering place first for the enjoyment of the public.

That silly organ sure gleams though.

You're alone on this. Went to the show last night as well and everyone loved the organ player and was taking tons of pics- it definitely elevates the experience and makes it unique. The theatre needs additional repair but your complaints are way off.

Posted on: 2017/4/6 0:16

Re: 1984 at the Loew's theatre
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:11
From HamiltonPARK
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RichMauro wrote:
I went to the showing of 1984 at the Loew's last night. It was a presentation with discussion to follow. All in all, an admirable attempt at a community gathering. As one of the speakers latter opined, there is a need for people to come out for this type of an event so that the arts can be supported from within by those who want to see them flourish.
Unfortunately there wasn't enough time for a lengthy back and forth between audience, moderator and the panel. Had it started an hour earlier I think that the public would have been better served. There was an interesting and enlightened group at the dais who could have given so much more if they had the time.
The film was shown in the right theater. When it comes to remembrance of a grand past reduced to border line squalor we were right at home. I know of what I speak having spent my boyhood years there a half century ago.
When will the "Friends" give over the place to an entity that can bring it back to more of a semblance of what it was. There is still so much grandeur that can be re-presented to the public.
I have been attending vintage showings since the reopening of the theater, and I can't believe how little improvement has been accomplished. And yes, I know it was a Herculean effort just to get the place reopened and cleaned for habitation, but come on!!!

Every time I see that damned silly organ pop up and play the inane music that just wastes time I wonder why the funds weren't given over to an air filtration system or air conditioning for the building? No matter how I plead with my wife to accompany me to a showing (and she has in the past) she won't enter the place again because of the mustiness and the filth of the ages that has yet to be removed. Last night as I sat down I realized how right she is. As I gazed at the walls and the ceilings and the upper levels I realized that the dusty air within and the odor of decay cannot be allowed to linger if the theater ever wants to become a place of entertainment value.

I could go on and on, and yes, I appreciate the valor and fortitude in the effort of the volunteers in the comeback they are trying to efface there, but someone has to come to reason and see that filth must be removed from a public gathering place first for the enjoyment of the public.

Ummmm. Grab a broom?

Posted on: 2017/4/5 14:37

1984 at the Loew's theatre
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/1 14:07
From Earth
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/4/5 13:36

Re: Big Brother is watching: '1984' returns to theaters
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
I thought they should have shown this when Obama was caught ramping up the NSA, spying on reporters, eavesdropping on foreign leaders like Germany's Merkel, surveilling Rooskies at Trump Tower, leaking sensitive information for political gain, that sort of thing. All those took place before last November as I recall.

When it comes to privacy rights, every President stands on the shoulders of previous Presidents.

I fully support criticizing these overreaches by Obama. But will you do the same when Trump follows suit? Based on your posting history, I doubt it. You support party over country.

Are you kidding? Most Republicans don't think President Trump IS Republican, lol. But please show me where you criticized Obama for his amping up the NSA and the like-I don't recall you getting wound up over this.

I criticized Bush and Obama then for their privacy overreaches and I still do now. Looking forward to you doing the same with Trump.

I've never been a fan of Democrats. Republicans either. They both suck. You root for your political party regardless of what they do, that's all.

Posted on: 2017/4/2 23:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:

You support party over country.

Best comment ever made ... both party subservients are guilty ... be a swinging voter and if both parties fail to produce a 'reasonable' candidate (first time in my history) and the country is going in decline in every facet, then it's time to move ... 22 days to go and Melbourne will be my new home and Australia my new country of residence ... can't wait!

The only comment Trump has made that is 100% accurate is the fact that the U.S isn't 'great' and hasn't been so for the past 40 years - We have been on a progressive spiral of corporate greed and financial mismanagement, leaving us in debt with VERY poor social and infrastructural services. "Joe Citizen" has always come last in reality and first in 'fantasy' when politicians make promises during election time!

Posted on: 2017/4/2 22:29
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
I thought they should have shown this when Obama was caught ramping up the NSA, spying on reporters, eavesdropping on foreign leaders like Germany's Merkel, surveilling Rooskies at Trump Tower, leaking sensitive information for political gain, that sort of thing. All those took place before last November as I recall.

When it comes to privacy rights, every President stands on the shoulders of previous Presidents.

I fully support criticizing these overreaches by Obama. But will you do the same when Trump follows suit? Based on your posting history, I doubt it. You support party over country.

Are you kidding? Most Republicans don't think President Trump IS Republican, lol. But please show me where you criticized Obama for his amping up the NSA and the like-I don't recall you getting wound up over this.

Posted on: 2017/4/2 21:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Posted on: 2017/4/2 19:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/4/2 19:16

Re: April 4th the Landmark Loew's Theatre to Screen George Orvill "1984" National Screeing Day for 1984
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
3 typos in the headline Newsboi? Slow down a little, eh?

Posted on: 2017/4/2 15:31

April 4th the Landmark Loew's Theatre to Screen George Orvill "1984" National Screeing Day for 1984
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/3/2 18:39
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
The Loew?s Jersey is partnering with the Jersey City Free Public Library to participate in National Screening Day / 1984

http://riverviewobserver.net/2017/04/ ... y-theatre-across-america/

Posted on: 2017/4/2 15:24

Big Brother is watching: '1984' returns to theaters
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Big Brother is watching: '1984' returns to theaters

By Amy Kuperinsky | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on March 29, 2017 at 5:22 PM, updated March 29, 2017 at 5:34 PM

George Orwell's "1984" became a best-seller once again in January 2017, right around the time of President Donald Trump's inauguration and his counselor Kellyanne Conway's use of the term "alternative facts." 

The 1949 novel imagines a dystopian society where critical thought is discouraged in favor of the anti-expressive "newspeak" and unconditional love of authority, which is represented by a symbolic figure called "Big Brother."

Both the Highland Park Outdoor Movie Theater (municipal parking lot between Second and Third avenues on Raritan Avenue) and Landmark Loew's Jersey in Jersey City (54 Journal Square Plaza) will screen the film on April 4.

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/index ... _george_orwell_retur.html

Posted on: 2017/3/29 23:12

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017