Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
107 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 107

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Door recommendation for open Den area
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/10/4 13:18
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
My wife picked those sliding barn doors for the master bedroom (currently being worked on). They look pretty slick, but some are kind of pricey.

Please let us know how they turn out inside a condo with a pic! I'll probably spend some time looking for a nice barn door.

Posted on: 2017/3/30 3:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Haggis wrote:
We just got done with a gut reno on our condo, a few things..
Building permits in JC are devilish.
You need to bring 2 copies from your NJ licensed architect to the building dept where they will get stamped.
You need an extra copy at your residence at all times.
It is costly and time consuming.
If there is anyway you can avoid it and simply go with a sliding door and a transom (we have interior transom windows and love it) go that route.
Look at the top of page 4, if your project can be "ordinary maintenance" you'd be better off.
http://www.nj.gov/dca/divisions/codes ... /pdf_regs/njac_5_23_2.pdf

Good luck and post pictures!

While technically almost anything where you install 2x4s requires a permit, in reality this is the kind of thing that a contractor would never apply for one. Of course if some busybody calls Buildings on you the situation changes, but there is really not that much material in this job to get anyone's attention. You should see what goes on in this town!

Posted on: 2017/3/29 15:39

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/16 13:54
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
We just got done with a gut reno on our condo, a few things..
Building permits in JC are devilish.
You need to bring 2 copies from your NJ licensed architect to the building dept where they will get stamped.
You need an extra copy at your residence at all times.
It is costly and time consuming.
If there is anyway you can avoid it and simply go with a sliding door and a transom (we have interior transom windows and love it) go that route.
Look at the top of page 4, if your project can be "ordinary maintenance" you'd be better off.
http://www.nj.gov/dca/divisions/codes ... /pdf_regs/njac_5_23_2.pdf

Good luck and post pictures!

Posted on: 2017/3/29 14:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
My wife picked those sliding barn doors for the master bedroom (currently being worked on). They look pretty slick, but some are kind of pricey.

Posted on: 2017/3/27 23:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
If that is your air return on the wall to the right you will need to put the door beyond it to not mess up your airflow. If it's to be a bedroom, you don't want a glass transom, that will be annoying if there's lights on when the person (kid?) is trying to sleep. Assuming that's a window on the left wall, it makes it a legal bedroom, or at least closer. I think the min sq footage is 70.

From what I see you should just keep it simple and have a contractor build a 4" wide wall with a regular door in it. It's not like this is a dining room to parlor opening where it's the focus of the room.

Posted on: 2017/3/25 4:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Tickatoe - the barn door option is what we're shooting for, too.

I actually spoke to these guys who advertised on JCList -

Nikol Floros
J.J. Builders, LLC
info@j-jhomeremodeling.com

They were really nice and are knowledgeable about this type of installation. Very hospitable to offering ideas and advice. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Posted on: 2017/3/25 2:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Agree, that door looks slick. I am not a DIY type and actually feels exactly like the poster below.

I am indeed planning to get an architect to get it done but wanted to get a ballpark figure around the $ and if it would require additional headaches such as permit (as condo association may also need one).

The picture is shown below. You can see the constraints -

Resized Image

1. Wall only on one side so pocket doors are out.
2. around 4' width and 14' ceilings
3. Given the above, a sliding barn door looks a good option but I am thinking what to do with the wall height. May be just false wall filled with glasses to allow the light to come in.

PS: Sorry for the mess in the pic. Anonymity allows it.

Thinking of a door like this

Resized Image

which may look like -

Resized Image

Posted on: 2017/3/25 0:27

Edited by tictaktoe on 2017/3/25 0:50:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

07310 wrote:
I agree with Brewster, hire a professional to do this it is not DIY project.

It's totally doable DIY, I've done several similar doorways, but it's not for beginners, which the OP sounds like. In fact I'm dealing with one on my current reno, a 42" x 92" opening. I have no idea what was there to begin with, perhaps french doors, but it's an awkward width for them, you'd have to open both because 21" is an uncomfortable squeeze for a bedroom door. What I did on another floor was make an 80" transom with a flat panel and bring in the sides with lumber & molding to create a 30" doorway.

Another unit had a 60" wide archway with no doors. I added jambs and used flexible PVC moldings to put a jamb and stop across the arch. I then took hollow core doors, cut them to fit and glued in lumber where it was hollow on the arc.

Before

Resized Image

After

Resized Image

Nice work Brewster, I couldn't DIY it which is why I used a contractor plus I couldn't see myself working a day job then coming home to construction. Perhaps you are in the wrong line of work you could make a very good living doing work like this.

Posted on: 2017/3/24 19:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

07310 wrote:
I agree with Brewster, hire a professional to do this it is not DIY project.

It's totally doable DIY, I've done several similar doorways, but it's not for beginners, which the OP sounds like. In fact I'm dealing with one on my current reno, a 42" x 92" opening. I have no idea what was there to begin with, perhaps french doors, but it's an awkward width for them, you'd have to open both because 21" is an uncomfortable squeeze for a bedroom door. What I did on another floor was make an 80" transom with a flat panel and bring in the sides with lumber & molding to create a 30" doorway.

Another unit had a 60" wide archway with no doors. I added jambs and used flexible PVC moldings to put a jamb and stop across the arch. I then took hollow core doors, cut them to fit and glued in lumber where it was hollow on the arc.

Before

Resized Image

After

Resized Image

Posted on: 2017/3/24 1:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/3/24 0:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I agree with Brewster, hire a professional to do this it is not DIY project. You can price out the track and most of the materials at Home Depot. I did mine years ago so what it cost me wouldn't be relevant to today. Just getting the doors aligned will drive you crazy. Measure the space so you have a better idea of what will look good in your space.

Posted on: 2017/3/23 23:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Is there a budget? Keep in mind pocket doors require tearing apart the walls on either side. French doors can be done with a transom of some sort done tastefully. Perhaps you should hire an architect familiar with the visual vocabulary of these things and what would fist best with the existing detail in your home, if any. A photo of the wall with the door would certainly make suggestions easier.

Posted on: 2017/3/23 17:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/16 15:40
From Village
Group:
Registered Users
We have double pocket doors separating our living and den as well. The feature is original to the house (mid-19th century rowhouse), but the doors that are there now are not. Many people use refurbished antique doors for decorative effect (but that's only worth it if you close them frequently, as they're otherwise not visible).

With tall ceilings, it's pretty typical for the space above to have some kind of transom. I've seen ones with very decorative etched glass, and others that have been filled in and painted.

Resized Image

ETA: This picture is not my house, just an image I googled.

Posted on: 2017/3/23 17:08

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks. This would have been a perfect solution but we'd like the door to add some "creative" factor as well given its in (just off) the living room.

By the way, how tall are those and how much did contractor ask for installation? Does it need permit?

Posted on: 2017/3/23 16:35

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks. Until now thats on the top of our list. Adds a unique touch to the living area as well. The issue is how to fill the top space.

Did you install them? How much did it cost w/ installation? Need Permit?

Posted on: 2017/3/23 16:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I installed double pocket doors, I asked the contractor to get the tallest doors that were available. they also have a latch to lock them. I can utilize all the space near the doors and it makes the room feel larger and it soundproofs both rooms.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/7 ... b8dbc999ae47fb54c59d3.jpg

Posted on: 2017/3/21 15:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
I'm working with the same issue right now. The best alternative we've found so far is the barn door install.They have some nice low cost models at Lowes - and higher end options online.

Pinterest/Google "Interior Barn Doors" for ideas.

Posted on: 2017/3/21 12:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/12 20:58
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
We had a large opening that we closed off with Shoji screens. Beautiful open or closed....but not a great sound barrier.

Posted on: 2017/3/21 12:11

Door recommendation for open Den area
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I have a 4 feet width opening into the den where I'd like to install some sort of door (may be sliding). The idea is to use as a bedroom (it is big enough) as we are expecting a close relative for a longer time. Does anyone has any creative ideas they have executed to get ideas from? pictures, link? Here is a little bit more details -

1. The Den is off the living room and that is why the stress on a creative solution that looks good (mirror door? stained/old wooden door?) OR any temporary solution that doesn't spoil the beauty?

2. The ceilings are 14 ft high so possibly will need to fill the top as well. False walls?

3. I'd like to keep the doorway completely clear (in case change it to kids room ==> larger play area). Is sliding door the only alternative?

4. How much does it approximately cost to install professionally? Any recommendations?

5. Does something like this needs permit from the City?

Posted on: 2017/3/21 2:39

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017