Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
105 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 105

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Jury duty questions
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/1 14:06
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the replies. Here are some thoughts on my experience:

- I drove since I was running late (dumb), and parked in JSQ PATH since I wasn't sure if the small lot across the street from the courthouse would have spots. It is better to take the bus or PATH, and if you have to drive, park in the lot across the street - they should have spots

- I wasn't able to get one of the small desks to sit in, but I did get a seat in the far right hand corner of the room in a folding chair. The seat is next to a window so you can set your bag/coat/food on the window ledge, and you are close enough to the power outlet at the desk next to you so you can plug your laptop or phone in.

- I didn't wind up getting called for a case, and they dismissed everyone by 3pm (and we were told not to come back for the 2nd day)

Posted on: 2017/3/29 16:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/15 11:50
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
I did my 2 days in Feb. The juror management staff do a great job of communicating what to expect and keeping you updated. They acknowledge jury duty is not exactly loved by the public and show their appreciation. You can also leave for short breaks as long as you sign out.

I did get called near the end of the first day for a case. You then go into a courtroom and the rules are more severe: no cell phone, food, drinks, talking etc. I had gone from essentially working on my laptop to not being able to communicate with anyone (which sucked because I was right in the middle of buying/selling a house). You can ask to be excused and go into the hallway.

By the middle of the second day they had their jury and we were released. It was a smooth and, actually, interesting process.

Posted on: 2017/3/23 23:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
It's only two days, and possibly only one, as pointed out by SRhia. Be thankful you got called for petit jury and not grand jury duty. That is unless you catch a case - then you're definitely in for some civic duty ;)

Posted on: 2017/3/23 20:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
I was called to jury duty last year, for two days. On first day, got there on time and waited until around 10am, where about 100 of us were called upstairs for a case. We sat in that room for an eternity while waiting for the lawyers to weed through the the pool of potential jurors. after about 2.5 hrs of that, having gone through about 70 potential jurors, they finally got their quorum of 12 jurors, and the rest of us - about 15 left - got sent back (I was lucky to got called towards the end of the queue).

Since it was already around 1pm at that point, we were told to take an hour lunch break, then go back to the waiting room. Got back to the waiting room after lunch, and luckily did not got called again.

At around 4pm, one of the folks came out and told us we're done for the day, and no need to go back the next day.

Make sure to bring a lot of stuff to entertain yourself.

Good luck!!!

Posted on: 2017/3/23 16:02

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Azul_the_Cat wrote:
- The instructions said to call the night before after 5pm. What are the chances that I get dismissed at that point? - Slim to none. You will most likely need to show up.

- assuming I show up the day of - and assuming the lawyers don't like me as a potential juror, am I free to go? Or will I just get recycled as a potential juror for another case? - You will be sent back to the jury pool to wait for another case.

- Is this a minimum 2 day commitment? Or if I don't get chosen on the 1st day, I can go home and go on with my life? - If you are chosen to work a case, you would work that case. If you were chosen to work a case, but dismissed by the judge or lawyers, you go back to the jury pool. The last two times I did my jury duty they let us all go home after the first day saying there were no more cases on the schedule.

- Can I bring a work laptop to jury duty to do some work? - yes you can. There are little desks with outlets you can work at. There is also wi-fi. Get there early if you want one of those desks. They fill up fast.

Thanks in advance

Thanks - sounds like I am in this for the long haul. I will be sure to show up early to grab a desk

Posted on: 2017/3/23 15:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/2 11:06
From Scenic McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
- The instructions said to call the night before after 5pm. What are the chances that I get dismissed at that point? - Slim to none. You will most likely need to show up.

- assuming I show up the day of - and assuming the lawyers don't like me as a potential juror, am I free to go? Or will I just get recycled as a potential juror for another case? - You will be sent back to the jury pool to wait for another case.

- Is this a minimum 2 day commitment? Or if I don't get chosen on the 1st day, I can go home and go on with my life? - If you are chosen to work a case, you would work that case. If you were chosen to work a case, but dismissed by the judge or lawyers, you go back to the jury pool. The last two times I did my jury duty they let us all go home after the first day saying there were no more cases on the schedule.

- Can I bring a work laptop to jury duty to do some work? - yes you can. There are little desks with outlets you can work at. There is also wi-fi. Get there early if you want one of those desks. They fill up fast.

Thanks in advance

Posted on: 2017/3/23 14:57

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
bump - anyone served on a jury lately? I've also been summoned for the first time - due to show up next week.

- The instructions said to call the night before after 5pm. What are the chances that I get dismissed at that point?

- assuming I show up the day of - and assuming the lawyers don't like me as a potential juror, am I free to go? Or will I just get recycled as a potential juror for another case?

- Is this a minimum 2 day commitment? Or if I don't get chosen on the 1st day, I can go home and go on with my life?

- Can I bring a work laptop to jury duty to do some work?

Thanks in advance

Posted on: 2017/3/23 14:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
With the amount of time they usually give you for lunch, you could walk all the way over to Kennedy Boulevard and satisfy your craving at White Castle if you wanted to. I'm sure some people think "ugh" when I say that, but I'm up in Journal Square so infrequently and it's the only place remotely close to me where I can find White Castle.

There are other restaurants along Kennedy Boulevard as well, and Little India intersects it, if you're craving Indian food.

Posted on: 2016/1/25 18:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SRhia wrote:
Very good point about food - I'm always hungry!!!

Another question: if for whatever reason I cannot attend on the day that day (eg sick kid at home, I'm sick, etc). Is that a big deal? Can I re-schedule? Or do I REALLY need to show up on the day no-matter-what?

With my luck - my son will probably be sick that day!!!

If I can re-schedule - how far down the road will be the new date?

Thanks!

If you can get out during lunch and you like pizza go to Larry & Joe's Pizzeria a short walk from the courthouse on Newark. It was my go to place during lunch.

Posted on: 2016/1/25 18:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
You can order soup and sandwich at Maloney's Meat which is near the courthouse on Newark Av. They are not open on Mondays though.

Posted on: 2016/1/25 15:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Very good point about food - I'm always hungry!!!

Another question: if for whatever reason I cannot attend on the day that day (eg sick kid at home, I'm sick, etc). Is that a big deal? Can I re-schedule? Or do I REALLY need to show up on the day no-matter-what?

With my luck - my son will probably be sick that day!!!

If I can re-schedule - how far down the road will be the new date?

Thanks!

Posted on: 2016/1/25 15:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

07310 wrote:
I was on jury duty a few months ago. It's a short walk from the journal square PATH station, as other have said bring a book and also bring a few snacks so you don't starve in the jury pool room.

Oh, yeah. I should have mentioned snacks. If you get selected for jury duty, you get about an hour to get lunch, but given that it can take a while to ride the elevators up and down (everyone is more or less going out at the same time!) you would be wise to have a plan in place for food. There are a few crappy places close by to the courthouse, or you can walk down to Little India, but it is definitely a trek out that way, so you have to be a fast walker to allow yourself enough time to get there, order, eat, pay and come back. Definitely look for something close by to the courthouse, or bring something that can tie you over until you are released. I don't remember the rules for food while in the jury duty holding pen (this is where you report and wait to be called) but I suspect that whatever they are, no one would mind if you eat something small that doesn't smell strongly (fruits, granola bars, etc.) The whole process is painless and it really is nice overall, just boring and sometimes tiresome to be shuffling between the court rooms and the holding pen.

Posted on: 2016/1/25 14:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
I was on jury duty a few months ago. It's a short walk from the journal square PATH station, as other have said bring a book and also bring a few snacks so you don't starve in the jury pool room.

Posted on: 2016/1/25 12:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you! Doesn't sound too bad - will be sure to bring a lot of reading material

Posted on: 2016/1/25 1:07

Re: Jury Duty - what to expect?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SRhia wrote:
I've been summoned to do my first Jury Duty in Feb.

Since I've never done this before, what can I expect?

Besides myself and the summon, what else do I need to bring?

I'll be taking public transportation to the court house - will it be a safe trip?

Will I enjoy this great american tradition & privilege???

TIA.

The process is not necessarily enjoyable. More like a whole lot of waiting around and do nothing. Overall, it works fairly well. I enjoyed serving in a jury, but my case was not "heavy" so it wasn't fraught with emotion or gravitas. Overall, a positive experience. I think you need to bring your ID along with the summons. I was getting to the courthouse on my bicycle so I can't speak about transportation getting there or back, but I do know that Yvonne loves to rail about the lack of parking for employees and those summoned. What else is new? I would say definitely leave the car at home and get there whichever way is easiest for you. If walking from JSQ, it is not too far and the walk is definitely safe. I don't particularly care for the aesthetics of the area, but it is safe. Make sure you bring a book, a magazine or some other reading material. You really do a whole lot of sitting around waiting to be called into a court room, and then you get to sit there and wait to be questioned/evaluated.

Posted on: 2016/1/23 0:25

Jury Duty - what to expect?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I've been summoned to do my first Jury Duty in Feb.

Since I've never done this before, what can I expect?

Besides myself and the summon, what else do I need to bring?

I'll be taking public transportation to the court house - will it be a safe trip?

Will I enjoy this great american tradition & privilege???

TIA.

Posted on: 2016/1/22 23:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/21 2:00
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Next door at the old county courthouse the bike rack is to the left of the stairs.

I'm on jury duty now, how exciting. Actually, I don't mind it. I was unable to complete my jury duty last time due to an emergency. Anyway, there is no longer a bike rack in the vicinity nor are there accommodations for bikes. I asked about it in the jury room since I was uncomfortable chaining my bike to a parking sign on Newark. I was the first person to ask about this. Hard to believe. They were pretty nice about it and made arrangements so I could park it in the lot on Pavonia and Central.

Posted on: 2014/1/13 14:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
You don't leave your belongings in the jury pool waiting area. You bring your belongings with you to the assigned courtroom.

Inside that courtroom, you sit on benches until you are called forward for voire dire. If you are selected to be part of a jury, and once the jury is fully empaneled, you and your fellow jurors will be ushered into a small room inside the courtroom. That's the jury room where you report every morning, where you are sent when the judge and lawyers need to have conversations to which you should not be privy, and where you will carry out deliberations. You leave your bags and belongings inside this room. The room is protected by the court room bailiff, who stands next to its entrance in full view of all jurors, and courtroom participants. You are allowed to use your computer and devices while the court is NOT in session or whenever you are sent to the room.

I hope I provided enough details/information. If you have any more questions, let me know.

Posted on: 2013/12/3 16:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Definitely a good suggestion to bring an iPad, or laptop. The jury pool room has decent WiFi freely available to all.

Surprisingly, the jury duty experience was rather satisfying and rewarding in some ways.

So I'm supposed to go to jury duty next week and I have a question on the subject of laptops/ipads, forgive me if it sounds dumb. It will be good to have one of those in the pool room to pass the time, but where do they make you put your belongings when you are in the court room? I certainly wouldn't want to leave my laptop in the jury pool room while I'm in the court room.

Posted on: 2013/12/3 16:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

anonymess wrote:
I'm supposed to report tomorrow but I can't see where the directions state the time or which entrance. Will this be on the instructions when I call tonight?
Where do I park my bicycle? Thanks.

Next door at the old county courthouse the bike rack is to the left of the stairs.

Posted on: 2013/9/16 16:30
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Morsella Cupo Italian deli
576 Summit Ave.
between Pavonia & Newark Avenues at the foot of Cottage St. Just walk behind the jury duty building and walk towards Summit, make a right half way down on your right.
They have hot and cold take out foods there. You get an hour for lunch so you can pick up the order, bring it back and eat in the jury room.

Posted on: 2013/9/16 16:27
Get on your bikes and ride !

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/5/17 15:38
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Get a slice or two or a hot sandwidch at Larry & Joe's.

Posted on: 2013/9/16 16:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks all. What are the lunch options in the area?

Posted on: 2013/9/16 16:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks all. What are the lunch options in the area?

Posted on: 2013/9/16 15:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Definitely a good suggestion to bring an iPad, or laptop. The jury pool room has decent WiFi freely available to all.

I was there earlier this year. I was selected to be in a jury on my second day. The whole trial essentially lasted 1 day, but it spread out into the following week, as they don't do court on Fridays. We listened to opening statements on Wednesday, adjourned for the day, listened to the case almost all of Thursday, got the case handed to us right before it was time to call it a day, so we deliberated for a few minutes, couldn't reach a consensus and jointly decided to come back one more day to be able to fully debate the merits of the case and to reach a decision. Since court is out on Fridays, that meant coming back on Monday. It only took us an hour on Monday to reach a final decision, but it was the right thing to do, as opposed to rushing into things.

Surprisingly, the jury duty experience was rather satisfying and rewarding in some ways.

Posted on: 2013/9/16 15:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/21 20:55
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I got called in few months ago. The entrance is of Newark ave. Go up the stairs, the metal dictator (need to take off belt) and then its up the elevator up to a floor i don't remember. There will be line and just stay on it and once you are checked in you are in a large room with all the other jurors. Bring an ipad or something and you can pass time.

Posted on: 2013/9/16 15:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/20 23:45
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, the instructions on where to go will be on the recording tonight. Assuming it's petit jury, you'll be instructed to go to 595 Newark Ave (the ugly building next to the old courthouse), stand on the long line for the metal detector, and go to the 4th floor to check in. Bring the hard copy of your notice. They'll scan the barcode on it to check you in.

I don't think there are any bike racks by the courthouse, but there are some signs you can chain up to. I just walk to the courthouse, it's less than a mile (15-20 min) from the Harsimus Cove area.

Posted on: 2013/9/16 14:00

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/17 17:38
Group:
Registered Users
I served Petit Jury Duty in June on a Tuesday, I had a trip planned to Colorado that Saturday. I brought the plane ticket as proof, however I didn't need it. When I got called into a court room for jury selection they state how long they expect the case to be and if anyone is unable to fulfill that. You raise your hand, approach the judge and let them know. They told me to have a great trip and I was excused.... I'd still bring documentation as back up, but it wasn't a problem for me at all.

Good luck!

Posted on: 2013/9/16 13:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
You can be delayed /excused if you planned a major trip or function before receiving the notice.

Assuming this is Peti Jury, just go into the main entrance of the court house (the one with the butt-ugly panel type architecture that was so popular in the late 50's through the early 70's).

You are supposed to be checked in by 9:00 AM.

I just served a couple months ago. Thankfully, I got kicked off the jury pool by the prosecution (normally I get booted by the defense).

Posted on: 2013/9/16 12:29

Jury duty questions
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I'm supposed to report tomorrow but I can't see where the directions state the time or which entrance. Will this be on the instructions when I call tonight?

More importantly, I screwed up. I forgot about jury duty and booked a flight to attend a friend's wedding after I rec'd notice... I'm leaving on Sunday. I completely forgot about jury duty until I rec'd an email reminder the other day. It will be no problem if I don't get called to sit on a jury (I'm a petit juror who can stand to lose a few lbs.), but if I do... I dunno.

Where do I park my bicycle?

Thanks.

Posted on: 2013/9/16 10:55

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017