Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
47 user(s) are online (44 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 47

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Did you know the City Council is required at (Open Public Meeting Act) Caucus allow public to speak

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/21 20:45
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you Parkman. Yes, a council is a governing body, as defined the in the definition section of the law.
Also, the council defines itself as a governing body, on its page of the JC website.

Posted on: 2017/3/21 20:46

Re: Did you know the City Council is required at (Open Public Meeting Act) Caucus allow public to speak
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/12 21:42
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
bodhipooh, the way I read it, paig55 is correct. That section states you may not be able to have input during the initial discussion, but must be allowed to speak before the meeting is over, if a member of the public "feels may be of concern...."

?The right to attend a public meeting does not necessarily include a right to comment or participate. Most public bodies in New Jersey may decide for themselves whether to allow public participation and may impose rules limiting or regulating participation.

The governing bodies of municipal government, HOWEVER, must set aside a portion of EVERY meeting, the length of which is determined by the municipal body, for public comment on any governmental issue that a member of the public "feels may be of concern to the residents of the municipality." N.J. Stat. ? 10:4-12(a)."

Unless a caucus is not a "governing body", or is a closed meeting, we should be able to comment.

Posted on: 2017/3/19 19:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

paig55 wrote:
www.njfog.org

Please see N.J.S.A. 10:4-12 this section discuss the exception to public attending only.
Governing bodies must set aside a portion of every meeting (Caucus included) to allow for public comment.
Historically, this law has NOT BEEN ENFORCED, its time it is.
The Public has a legal right to speak at caucus and general council meetings and the council nor does the
Legal Department have a right to prohibit a legal right.

You are 100% wrong on this point.

NJSA 10:4-12 deals with the nine exceptions under which a public body can hold (or, go into) a closed meeting.

Once again: the right to attend a meeting does NOT entitle you (or, the rest of the public) to actually speak at every public body meeting. This is clearly explained explained in the law statutes, and you can read it online as well.

Here is a link for you to read: http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/new-j ... -meetings-laws-new-jersey

Posted on: 2017/3/19 18:15

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
www.njfog.org

Please see N.J.S.A. 10:4-12 this section discuss the exception to public attending only.
Governing bodies must set aside a portion of every meeting (Caucus included) to allow for public comment.
Historically, this law has NOT BEEN ENFORCED, its time it is.
The Public has a legal right to speak at caucus and general council meetings and the council nor does the
Legal Department have a right to prohibit a legal right.

Posted on: 2017/3/19 15:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
I've been to these caucus meetings before and the public has spoken.

Posted on: 2017/3/19 13:17
Get on your bikes and ride !

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
You obviously have never read the law.

Posted on: 2017/3/19 2:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

paig55 wrote:
I called yesterday to put my name on caucus speakers list and was advised by city clerk I may attend but public comment period not allowed. OPMA (Open Public Meeting Act) requires that all governing bodies and school boards in the state of NJ, must allow a public comment period. This applies to all public meeting where a quorum attends and matter pertaining to the city are discussed or acted on. I called the JC Law Department in the hope that I could speak to someone regarding this matter. I was told someone would get back to me. I am still waiting and hope some will return my call. However, in the meantime I have sent an email to the Council to inform them of this oversight. This post is to inform the public that currently we are not being allowed to fully exercise our 1st amendment right and that the Council is in violation OPMA. I will keep you posted as this matter continues. Hopefully, it will be remedied in the near future.

How is this a First Amendment matter? Did Congress pass a law preventing you from speaking to the Caucus?

Also, I dont think you fully understand the provisions of the OPMA: the Law requires that public bodies permit all members of the public to attend their meetings. However, the right to attend meetings does not entitle members of the public to participate in the meetings.

Posted on: 2017/3/17 14:09

Did you know the City Council is required at (Open Public Meeting Act) Caucus allow public to speak

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I called yesterday to put my name on caucus speakers list and was advised by city clerk I may attend but public comment period not allowed. OPMA (Open Public Meeting Act) requires that all governing bodies and school boards in the state of NJ, must allow a public comment period. This applies to all public meeting where a quorum attends and matter pertaining to the city are discussed or acted on. I called the JC Law Department in the hope that I could speak to someone regarding this matter. I was told someone would get back to me. I am still waiting and hope some will return my call. However, in the meantime I have sent an email to the Council to inform them of this oversight. This post is to inform the public that currently we are not being allowed to fully exercise our 1st amendment right and that the Council is in violation OPMA. I will keep you posted as this matter continues. Hopefully, it will be remedied in the near future.

Posted on: 2017/3/17 13:57

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017