Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
66 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 66

more...

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7)

Re: Stop the give away of taxpayers' city owned land. Ordinance 17-023
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
So you'd pass on the $1 sale price ?

Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
While I think the SciTech idea is downright silly, your claim about that plot of land being "very valuable" is almost as goofy. It is contaminated marsh land, sandwiched between an industrial service road and the turnpike extension, and during most of the year it stinks terribly.

Posted on: 2017/3/14 19:06

Re: Stop the give away of taxpayers' city owned land. Ordinance 17-023
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
While I think the SciTech idea is downright silly, your claim about that plot of land being "very valuable" is almost as goofy. It is contaminated marsh land, sandwiched between an industrial service road and the turnpike extension, and during most of the year it stinks terribly.

Posted on: 2017/3/14 19:00

Stop the give away of taxpayers' city owned land. Ordinance 17-023
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/28 17:23
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
On March 22nd, ordinance 17-023 is up for a 2nd reading and a vote. This is a short 11minute video that you can watch on YouTube . The ordinance transfers 16 acres of very valuable city-owned land to the JC Redevelopment Agency for $1. Then the JCRA sells the land to the Liberty Science Center's redeveloper of their choice to build the $230 Million Tech Center. Their latest 990 tax return available @ June 30, 2015 shows that after 17 years, as the original LSC was built in 1998, they had $22.1 million in revenues but lost $1.9 million! The City loaned the LSC $2.5 million in 2008 as they were strapped. Who knows if they ever paid it back! Now we're to believe that a $22 Million organization, which can't break even, can build a $230 Million++ SciTech Scity. The redeveloper is UNKNOWN... This smells of a huge land grab of taxpayers assets, which will make some developer rich. Watch the video and contact your Councilperson and SAY VOTE NO! Only Councilmen Boggiano & Yun voted NO on the introduction. We need 3 more NO votes...

Posted on: 2017/3/14 18:03
Check out Talking Politics --- See 31 shows on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/user/JCtalkingpolitics/videos.
The shows broadcast on Comcast's Channel 51, Mon @ 9:30pm and Wed @ 8:30pm

Re: Wow - LSC's Updated Plans for SciTech Scity
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
What a load of crap. JC will get back money, an unknown amount, IF profits are generated AFTER $78 million is paid back from these 'profits'? Just how much merch do they sell now from the gift shop?

A good accountant can structure this so the LSC won't make a profit for a hundred years, and I'd bet dollars to donuts that JC will continue to subsidize it-now they expect it to pay back $78 million of profits, when JC has been throwing money at it for years??

+1. I couldn't have said it better myself, other than the fact that they couldn't even run the place when it was just a museum, how can LSC run a hotel, school, condos and whatever other crap they think they're going to build there?

Can't wait to see what kind of cost overruns alone this place has when they build it.

Posted on: 2017/3/13 15:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
What a load of crap. JC will get back money, an unknown amount, IF profits are generated AFTER $78 million is paid back from these 'profits'? Just how much merch do they sell now from the gift shop?

A good accountant can structure this so the LSC won't make a profit for a hundred years, and I'd bet dollars to donuts that JC will continue to subsidize it-now they expect it to pay back $78 million of profits, when JC has been throwing money at it for years??

Posted on: 2017/3/12 16:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Will JC residents get in for free ?

Posted on: 2017/3/12 15:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

‘Tech village’ clears council

Liberty Science Center will pay city for 17 acres of land

by Al Sullivan  Reporter staff writer - Mar 12, 2017
The City Council decided at its caucus meeting March 6 to transfer about 17 acres of city-owned property to the Jersey City Redevelopment Authority (JCRA) for a proposed new tech research and residential village near Liberty State Park.

An ordinance will authorize the land transfer to the JCRA, which in turn will give the land to the Liberty Science Center (LSC) for the construction of the new $280 million project. It will feature a biotech lab, a coding lab, a technology business incubator, and a K-12 STEM-focused school, as well as a scholar’s village with residences for visiting scientists.

Some council members continued to have reservations about giving the land to the JCRA before knowing what its actual value is. David Donnelly, executive director of the JCRA, assured the council that the city would be compensated for the land after it has been assessed, prior to the closing on the property.

Posted on: 2017/3/12 5:20

Edited by Stringer on 2017/3/12 5:45:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
First, this land is worth more than $20 million. We sold 2.5 acres to the Medical Center for $24 million. Healy's negoitations were $12 million and Fulop increased the price. This land is in a park, near the Light Rail with spectular views. It is probably worth more per acre than the land we sold to the Medical Center. It could be $160 million to $200 million dollars for the site. In the meantime, we bond for everything and Fulop did keep our money from the MUA. That is $31.5 million. Let's get real, the city is always trying to figure out ways to balance its budget. Stop the games, give one acre to the public school for a new high school and sell the rest of the land to put in our budget.
amen, yvonne! fulop is certainly no bernie sanders

Posted on: 2017/2/27 2:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
12/27 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
First, this land is worth more than $20 million. We sold 2.5 acres to the Medical Center for $24 million. Healy's negoitations were $12 million and Fulop increased the price. This land is in a park, near the Light Rail with spectular views. It is probably worth more per acre than the land we sold to the Medical Center. It could be $160 million to $200 million dollars for the site. In the meantime, we bond for everything and Fulop did keep our money from the MUA. That is $31.5 million. Let's get real, the city is always trying to figure out ways to balance its budget. Stop the games, give one acre to the public school for a new high school and sell the rest of the land to put in our budget.

Posted on: 2017/2/26 21:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
You guys are nuts. If this land was sold at market value, we wouldn't get any of the community benefits coming from SciTech, such as the K12 school, the science and technology incubator, or the unique architecture. This will also have economic spin offs bringing much needed jobs!

This $20 million subsidy from the city is needed to make this happen, or we would just get the run of the mill apartments and condos here.

I think the city already does a good job at marketing and selling vacant and underutilized city land for redevelopment and having it produce revenue in the form of PILOT payments or property taxes. I would just put that process on steroids sell to whatever developer is willing to pay the most money up front plus whatever would generate the most in taxes. I think that's already happening in Journal Square with all the big mega towers going up.

Posted on: 2017/2/25 16:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Stringer wrote:

Fulop critics urge Jersey City Council to rethink $20M Liberty Science Center land deal

HUDSON COUNTY VIEW -By  John Heinis 

this is why its time for fulop to go! does this guy have any ethics! the building looks nice but i didn't realize he was gifting $20 million to the developers?

Posted on: 2017/2/25 15:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Fulop critics urge Jersey City Council to rethink $20M Liberty Science Center land deal

HUDSON COUNTY VIEW -By  John Heinis 

Posted on: 2017/2/25 1:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

135jc wrote:
Smells like Xanadu II!
ditto. i'm not sure there is a business case for this? i could see if a major university were opening there, but a k-12 school- charter or public? funding?

Posted on: 2017/1/31 11:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/22 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
Smells like Xanadu II!

Posted on: 2017/1/31 4:28

Re: Transformative SciTechsity Science Technology Campus LSC Advance Council Approval
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Plans for Liberty Science Center expansion clear hurdle

By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on January 30, 2017 at 4:31 PM

JERSEY CITY -- New zoning approved by the City Council last week paves the way for a $280 million expansion of Liberty Science Center that will include a K-12 science and math-focused school, labs and a "scholars village" with residences for visiting scientists.

The project, known as Scitech Scity, is slated for 16 acres of city-owned land adjacent to the science center. Mayor Steve Fulop in a statement touted the project as one that will be a catalyst for a growing technology sector in Jersey City.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... _liberty_science_cen.html

Posted on: 2017/1/31 2:16

Re: Transformative SciTechsity Science Technology Campus LSC Advance Council Approval

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/4 20:10
From NJ
Group:
Registered Users
"Funding for the project is expected to come largely from venture partners and philanthropists"

Sounds great! I just hope they already know who is paying for this so we dont get stuck with the bill in a few years. Looking forward to it though.

Posted on: 2017/1/27 15:13

Transformative SciTechsity Science Technology Campus LSC Advance Council Approval
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/3/2 18:39
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/1/27 7:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Must be nice, with all the FREE land they're getting from Jersey City to build it. Are we sure we can trust Liberty Science Center to not screw this project up?

Remember some years ago when the city had to bail out Liberty Science Center with an interest-free $ 2.5 million loan? This was because when they expanded their buildings years ago, they had no clue how massive the increased utility costs were going to be. I don't know if they ever paid the loan back either.

Furthermore, let's not forget all the vice presidents the organization has with their extremely bloated salaries and yet they laid off a slew of people who make less than $ 30,000 per year. Yeah, I'm sure they'll do great running a hotel, school, residential community and research facility.

You sound like DanL. This is a fantastic and welcomed addition to the city. Unless you're saying the land should have been sold to the highest bidder.

The land should have been sold to the highest bidder but that's another matter. It will be fantastic if it ever actually gets built and the Liberty Science Center knows what the hell they're doing when they are running it. Given their past track record, I can't see how they can be trusted.

Posted on: 2017/1/6 18:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Must be nice, with all the FREE land they're getting from Jersey City to build it. Are we sure we can trust Liberty Science Center to not screw this project up?

Remember some years ago when the city had to bail out Liberty Science Center with an interest-free $ 2.5 million loan? This was because when they expanded their buildings years ago, they had no clue how massive the increased utility costs were going to be. I don't know if they ever paid the loan back either.

Furthermore, let's not forget all the vice presidents the organization has with their extremely bloated salaries and yet they laid off a slew of people who make less than $ 30,000 per year. Yeah, I'm sure they'll do great running a hotel, school, residential community and research facility.

You sound like DanL. This is a fantastic and welcomed addition to the city. Unless you're saying the land should have been sold to the highest bidder.

Posted on: 2017/1/6 17:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
I guess it'll need a superhighway from the Liberty Diner to Van Vorst Park, once they build the car bridge alongside the stinky bridge to connect downtown without having to drive Grand/Pacific/Johnston to get there.

Posted on: 2017/1/6 17:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/1/6 17:32

Wow - LSC's Updated Plans for SciTech Scity

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/23 17:57
From Jersey City - Bergen-Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/1/6 15:24

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7)

[Advanced Search]

Login