Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
126 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 126

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Newport Mall
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fikonj wrote:
Meh, the mall is alright, however, Ikea rules apply; never go there on the weekend, and weekdays only before the afternoon rush, or just before closing time.

Best time to go is during a major snow storm. Went there during the storm previously and the mall was open, but almost devoid of human beings. No lines, no waiting... plenty of room in the food court.

Posted on: 2017/3/14 15:23

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/12 19:15
Group:
Registered Users
Meh, the mall is alright, however, Ikea rules apply; never go there on the weekend, and weekdays only before the afternoon rush, or just before closing time.

Posted on: 2017/3/14 15:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Malls are an out of date idea - but Newport Mall should close the food court and the movies - and mimic upscale malls like Shorthills.
I can tell you haven't been to the theater or food court recently. The quality and look of the food court has been improved significantly, and now I consider the theater one of the best.

I used to avoid the Newport theater because it was dumpy, but now it's really nice. It's my preferred theater thanks to the big seats and the reserved seating.

Posted on: 2017/3/14 12:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
You can avoid paying any fee by becoming a member of the AMC Stubs program, which is about $12/year. In addition to waiving the online ticket fees, there are other perks. Definitely worth the cost if you watch more than a handful of movies every year.

Posted on: 2017/3/14 12:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/21 2:00
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SRhia wrote:
@anonymess what app do you use to reserve the seats? Also, do they charge a fee for doing that? thx.

Do a search on your phone for AMC stubs. It's basically a rewards membership. You have the option of joining for free. The paid membership comes with better rewards and free smartphone reservations. If you aren't a premier member, I think it costs about 50 cents to book a reservation. I'm a premier member since I go often enough. It doesn't pay if you don't go frequently.

Posted on: 2017/3/14 12:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
I do not know of any app that does not have service fee... though the new way to purchase seats certainly takes spur of the moment see a movie... I have come to like reserved sitting and new theatre seating

Quote:

SRhia wrote:
@anonymess what app do you use to reserve the seats? Also, do they charge a fee for doing that? thx.

Quote:

anonymess wrote:
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Malls are an out of date idea - but Newport Mall should close the food court and the movies - and mimic upscale malls like Shorthills.

I don't keep up to date on the subject and have no idea what is meant by malls being out of date. Having said that, I always hated malls and generally avoid them. That applies or has applied to the Newport Mall. It has always been ghetto, less so now, and I don't mean that in a racist sense.

HOWEVER, I am a huge movie fan and see a minimum of 1 movie per week. Since the renovation, the AMC at the mall is now among my favorite theaters in terms of comfort. That includes Manhattan, where I regularly see movies. It's too bad AMC's movie selection sucks and is limited. I'm in a position to see early weekday matinees when the theater is free of kiddies and nuisance. I for one, would be very unhappy to see the theater gone. Love that $6.49 early bird price.

Just make sure to use your smartphone get a reserved seat in advance and arrive 20 minutes after show time to avoid the commercials and previews. And bring your own jumbo drink to fit in the jumbo drink holder.

Posted on: 2017/3/14 12:01

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Yesterday 20:02
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Unless they've changed it recently, it's ALL reserved seats - if you just buy a ticket there you pick your seats from a screen. Buying in advance online has the usual fees; I can't remember offhand, but probably around $1 a ticket. You can use the AMC theaters website or app.

Posted on: 2017/3/14 11:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
The Food Court is alright but that mall is just so ghetto in general and the selection generally sucks there. Too many middle and high school kids running around causing trouble. I don't think I've EVER used the elevators their either. If they ever move, they move very slowly, otherwise the doors are constantly getting stuck from trying to cram too many people into them. I don't know how you'd ever make that place all that great of a mall. Better than the Hudson Mall, but that's not saying much.

Posted on: 2017/3/14 3:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

anonymess wrote:
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:

I don't keep up to date on the subject and have no idea what is meant by malls being out of date. Having said that, I always hated malls and generally avoid them. That applies or has applied to the Newport Mall. It has always been ghetto, less so now, and I don't mean that in a racist sense.

HOWEVER, I am a huge movie fan and see a minimum of 1 movie per week. Since the renovation, the AMC at the mall is now among my favorite theaters in terms of comfort. That includes Manhattan, where I regularly see movies. It's too bad AMC's movie selection sucks and is limited. I'm in a position to see early weekday matinees when the theater is free of kiddies and nuisance. I for one, would be very unhappy to see the theater gone. Love that $6.49 early bird price.

Just make sure to use your smartphone get a reserved seat in advance and arrive 20 minutes after show time to avoid the commercials and previews. And bring your own jumbo drink to fit in the jumbo drink holder.

Posted on: 2017/3/14 3:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/21 2:00
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:

Posted on: 2017/3/14 3:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:

Speak for yourself. Before they renovated the movie theater, I used to schlep into Manhattan to see movies. Now, it's nicer than most theaters in the city. The food court is also much improved and I'm not above getting fast food every so often.

Posted on: 2017/3/14 3:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
but Newport Mall should close the food court and the movies

WHY? The movie theater was completely redone recently and it is now ALWAYS, even the early morning showings when empty theaters were the norm.

The food court is not my thing, but that place is PACKED every time I have walked past it. During the week, it is filled with workers. Why would the mall get rid of that?

Posted on: 2017/3/14 1:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 1:00
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
fuck that, love the food court

Posted on: 2017/3/13 23:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/3/13 20:41

Newport Mall
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/16 15:08
From JCNJ
Group:
Registered Users
I was at the Newport Mall late afternoon this Saturday and while on the way out saw a pretty big police response pulling in. Does anyone know what happened or if there's a way to find out?

We didn't stick around to see what it was, but I know the crowd can get pretty rowdy there. Seemed like too many police for a shoplifting or another one-off crime. The mall seems to have gotten nicer over the years but there's still an unsettling vibe like anything can happen at any time.

I feel like this happens somewhat frequently (lots of police cars showing up) and notwithstanding the mini precinct inside security is pretty scant.

Are there off duty cops assigned on weekends when lots of young groups are expected?

Posted on: 2017/3/13 20:14

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017