Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
52 user(s) are online (42 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 52

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

Re: Jersey City mulls changes to pedestrian plaza to address rowdy bar-goers
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:11
From HamiltonPARK
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

val7101 wrote:
Quote:

EasyGibson wrote:
Guys, I think you're going a little nuts about this.

The problem: Every Thursday-Saturday there's a couple dozen kids that drink too much, then loiter after the bars close where they then yell a bit, then sometimes break bottles that they sneak out of the bars on their way out.

The solution: Have a cop pass by at last call and shuffle them down the block. That's it. That's the whole problem, solved.

There's kids that stand outside on Erie from last call til about 4, drinking their last call drinks that they snuck out in their coats, then they leave/break the bottles on the street.
Just have a cop come through every 30 minutes from 2:30 until 4 and move them along. Don't do the stupid siren woop woop, because that wakes me up more than the kids talking. Just say, "Hey guys, time to go."
Done. Now you have a pedestrian plaza that thousands enjoy daily, and a flourishing restaurant/bar scene that are enjoyed by thousands nightly.

Shit, I should run for mayor of this dump.

Common Sense!!! Have one cop pass by one or two times....like they should anyway and end this thread for godsakes!

Yes, this is REALLY helping the residents who have already been woken up. It just takes one cackling douche bag to destroy the peace in YOUR home. Basically, outsiders are dictating how taxpayers QOL is going to be in the very expensive home they bought. The cops, most of who are not city residents, are hardly gonna spring into action at every 311 call. Shut that place down at midnight.

Posted on: 2017/3/16 15:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/20 13:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

EasyGibson wrote:

The problem: Every Thursday-Saturday there's a couple dozen kids that drink too much, then loiter after the bars close where they then yell a bit, then sometimes break bottles that they sneak out of the bars on their way out.

The solution: Have a cop pass by at last call and shuffle them down the block. That's it. That's the whole problem, solved.

There's kids that stand outside on Erie from last call til about 4, drinking their last call drinks that they snuck out in their coats, then they leave/break the bottles on the street.
Just have a cop come through every 30 minutes from 2:30 until 4 and move them along. Don't do the stupid siren woop woop, because that wakes me up more than the kids talking. Just say, "Hey guys, time to go."
Done. Now you have a pedestrian plaza that thousands enjoy daily, and a flourishing restaurant/bar scene that are enjoyed by thousands nightly.

Common Sense!!! Have one cop pass by one or two times....like they should anyway and end this thread for godsakes!

Posted on: 2017/3/16 14:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/17 3:49
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/3/16 2:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Whether officials were acting responsibly when they granted alcohol licenses to binge-drinking factories that cater to amateurs, the City should already have? had a plan and budget to deal with the attention that sticking its ass in the air was going to bring.

Or maybe I'm being too harsh on the kids... in City Hall.

Posted on: 2017/3/15 18:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Get a big bag of fish fertilizer for those large potted plants and people won't be loitering for long !

Posted on: 2017/3/14 23:26
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/4 14:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Glad it worked out for you. Every city has its noisier areas. Newark Ave is the noisy area of downtown. People should keep that in mind.

+1
What exactly is the problem we need to solve here?

Posted on: 2017/3/14 16:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mndpacer04 wrote:
I am glad I moved from Grove Pointe to Paulus Hook when they added the bars downstairs. I knew the QOL would drop with that addition. The bar crawl is great for single folks/childless couples in the neighborhood. Not so much for everyone else.

Glad it worked out for you. Every city has its noisier areas. Newark Ave is the noisy area of downtown. People should keep that in mind.

Posted on: 2017/3/13 16:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mndpacer04 wrote:
I am glad I moved from Grove Pointe to Paulus Hook when they added the bars downstairs. I knew the QOL would drop with that addition.

How high up was your apartment?

Or was it more the noise etc when you were coming home?

Posted on: 2017/3/13 16:33

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/13 15:47
Group:
Registered Users
I am glad I moved from Grove Pointe to Paulus Hook when they added the bars downstairs. I knew the QOL would drop with that addition. The bar crawl is great for single folks/childless couples in the neighborhood. Not so much for everyone else.

Posted on: 2017/3/13 15:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

iGreg wrote:
It was much better before they closed it off, seems like almost a 3rd of the storefronts are empty on that street now.

Wow. Exaggerate much? Vacancy is pretty low on that stretch of Newark Ave. There's also a number of new businesses, not all of which are restaurants.

Quote:
Anyone else remember when it was a servicable road that actually allowed traffic to pass down past the PATH entrance.

Yes, that was like.... 2 years ago

The Pedestrian Plaza is still, on the whole, a big win -- and is not, ultimately, causing this problem. If there was no plaza, we'd still have a bunch of drunk & disorderly people milling about, yelling at the top of their lungs while stumbling towards their cars.

Agreed, like anything else, the pedestrian plaza does have trade offs but overall, the benefits outweigh the costs.

Almost every major city has a pedestrian street with restaurants, bars and shops. It's a great way to centralize a community.

Posted on: 2017/3/13 14:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

iGreg wrote:
It was much better before they closed it off, seems like almost a 3rd of the storefronts are empty on that street now.

Wow. Exaggerate much? Vacancy is pretty low on that stretch of Newark Ave. There's also a number of new businesses, not all of which are restaurants.

Quote:
Anyone else remember when it was a servicable road that actually allowed traffic to pass down past the PATH entrance.

Yes, that was like.... 2 years ago

The Pedestrian Plaza is still, on the whole, a big win -- and is not, ultimately, causing this problem. If there was no plaza, we'd still have a bunch of drunk & disorderly people milling about, yelling at the top of their lungs while stumbling towards their cars.

Posted on: 2017/3/13 13:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
Newark itself is not residential, but the adjacent blocks are. Talde is the commercial space of a residential building.

It doesn't matter if it's residential, commercial, industrial or a zone for fairies. The city planners allowed for this co-existence that appears hasn't worked and intervention is needed. Cityhall has to take into consideration that they allowed and zoned a permanent residential base in the area and a transient 'drinking' crowd on week-ends has caused the problem. Once the owners of the restaurants focused more on the needs of their drinking patrons, the more they became accountable for the QOL issues thrust upon their neighbors !
maybe landlords on newark aveneue should put in some triple pane soundproof windows....maybe much stricter enforcement by bars/restaurants regarding noice and public drunkeness such as tickets for bad behavior, requiring bars to not serve inebriated people...

Posted on: 2017/3/13 6:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
Newark itself is not residential, but the adjacent blocks are. Talde is the commercial space of a residential building.

It doesn't matter if it's residential, commercial, industrial or a zone for fairies. The city planners allowed for this co-existence that appears hasn't worked and intervention is needed. Cityhall has to take into consideration that they allowed and zoned a permanent residential base in the area and a transient 'drinking' crowd on week-ends has caused the problem. Once the owners of the restaurants focused more on the needs of their drinking patrons, the more they became accountable for the QOL issues thrust upon their neighbors !

Posted on: 2017/3/13 3:36
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/3/12 21:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
Couple points - all along Newark Ave/Grove Street there are apartments. Furthermore amplified music travels and that is a source of QOL frustration for those on residential blocks close to the overlay zones.

Yes Newark is commercial. But there is a big difference between retail stores and Restaurants in Name Only (which are really bars) that stay open til 2AM.

Posted on: 2017/3/12 17:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users

The area was mixed use for ages with ppl living above the storefronts.

#JC Make It Yours

Quote:

Who considers Newark Ave residential? Even before the Pedestrian Plaza days, it was still commercial.

I was thinking the same thing... I can't imagine anyone claiming Newark Avenue is a residential area with a straight face. As long as I have lived in JC (granted, only 11 years) I have always thought of Newark Ave as a commercial street with some residential sprinkled on it, with some more in its periphery.

Besides, the argument about what has led to a rise in property values is not a binary matter: it is not one thing or the other. I think the growth in quality restaurants and bars is a definite booster of property values, just as the gentrification of the area has been such a booster. Trying to shut down Restaurant Row is not the answer (that whole thing about throwing the baby out with the bath water) but concerned citizens should work with the city to try and come up with a workable solution. Surely there is a compromise that can be reached.[/quote]

Posted on: 2017/3/12 15:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:11
From HamiltonPARK
Group:
Registered Users
Drunks, whether happy or sad, cannot be reasoned with. Shut it down at midnight.

Posted on: 2017/3/12 15:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

mfadam wrote:
No question the original sin is the Restaurant Overlay. It wasn't well thought out and no one put much thought into the unintended consequences. Couple that with JC's inability to enforce laws on the book (think noise ordinances) and it is no surprise QOL is an issue around these establishments.

It's gonna get worse as the restaurants are going further from Pedestrian Plaza into areas that most would consider residential.

Every applicant claims to be a "quaint neighbor friendly" restaurant. Please. It's much easier to make fast money selling booze to the broboken drunks than serving gourmet fare to the foodies.

It's really sad to think that huge Hoboken style bars are the best JC could come up with to replace all the 99 cent stores. Blown opportunity in my book...

Who considers Newark Ave residential? Even before the Pedestrian Plaza days, it was still commercial.

I was thinking the same thing... I can't imagine anyone claiming Newark Avenue is a residential area with a straight face. As long as I have lived in JC (granted, only 11 years) I have always thought of Newark Ave as a commercial street with some residential sprinkled on it, with some more in its periphery.

Besides, the argument about what has led to a rise in property values is not a binary matter: it is not one thing or the other. I think the growth in quality restaurants and bars is a definite booster of property values, just as the gentrification of the area has been such a booster. Trying to shut down Restaurant Row is not the answer (that whole thing about throwing the baby out with the bath water) but concerned citizens should work with the city to try and come up with a workable solution. Surely there is a compromise that can be reached.

Posted on: 2017/3/12 12:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mfadam wrote:
No question the original sin is the Restaurant Overlay. It wasn't well thought out and no one put much thought into the unintended consequences. Couple that with JC's inability to enforce laws on the book (think noise ordinances) and it is no surprise QOL is an issue around these establishments.

It's gonna get worse as the restaurants are going further from Pedestrian Plaza into areas that most would consider residential.

Every applicant claims to be a "quaint neighbor friendly" restaurant. Please. It's much easier to make fast money selling booze to the broboken drunks than serving gourmet fare to the foodies.

It's really sad to think that huge Hoboken style bars are the best JC could come up with to replace all the 99 cent stores. Blown opportunity in my book...

Posted on: 2017/3/11 18:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/22 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Quote:

135jc wrote:
Quote:

nafco wrote:
how can a place like bourbon street exist or 6 street in austin, and JC cant sustain a 2 block stretch without chaos ensuing? why cant we have nice things like a ped plaza without issue?

i think this goes beyond just booze though maybe there is more police patrolling the other places in the world that open their streets to the public after drinking hours.

How about not choosing to live on or near a street riddled with restaurants?

That's a silly argument as cityhall allowed this proximity to occur; planning zones of businesses with a 'night club' element next door to residents.
Cityhall must take ownership for this problem and either they should of had an 'entertainment precinct' void of residents or introduced conditions for late night liquor licences so at not to cause an anti-social element to residents - Blame lays with city planners. It should be noted that restuarants in general, don't cause issues, but when a so-called 'restaurant' operates like a bar and its sole purpose is to sell beer and it targets patrons from a younger demographic, then that's a different story !

Newark Ave has always had bars and restaurants on it. It has always been commercial. This is nothing new. As I stated before the restaurants and bars have increased property values. If you don't like the bustle sell to someone that does

Posted on: 2017/3/11 18:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mfadam wrote:
The Bro-boken type bars have not raised property values. The NYC/Brooklyn spillover has raised property values.

Very true!

Posted on: 2017/3/11 14:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/3/11 13:26

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/16 14:24
From Beirut
Group:
Registered Users
Haha! I forgot about that post! : ) !

Quote:

BeatrixKiddo wrote:

Nomorebullcrap
New Residents..Stop Calling Police on Bars & Silencing Church Bells
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Hi everyone. I went out this weekend and not just once but twice neighbors called the police on the noise levels at a couple local bars. I won't name the bars...but they are ones that were here before these newbies even knew the words Jersey City. They are bars and it's the weekend. You are wasting the police's time to have them come in for a second asking people to be quiet which doesn't even work...because it's a bar!! Geeee...let me buy a home in proximity of a bar and then complain that the bar is making too much noise....on the weekend! What is wrong with you rats? Holy moly! Get a life! Wow!

I also want to add that the new residents complained about the gorgeous church bells that rung on 6th and Monmouth. That was a beautiful aspect to this area and the newbies complained so much that a church now cannot ring their bells! Their Church Bells!!! Who the heck doesn't like church bells! I'm Jewish and I even love the pretty historic noise they make!

JC Make It Yours...yeah I don't think so! It was everyone's before these douches moved in! Whaaaa the bars make noise...whaaa the church rings it's bells...whaaa whaaa whaaaa...go back to Manhattan or wherever you came from! Holy mackerel

Posted on: 2017/3/11 7:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 23:09
Group:
Registered Users

Nomorebullcrap
New Residents..Stop Calling Police on Bars & Silencing Church Bells
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Hi everyone. I went out this weekend and not just once but twice neighbors called the police on the noise levels at a couple local bars. I won't name the bars...but they are ones that were here before these newbies even knew the words Jersey City. They are bars and it's the weekend. You are wasting the police's time to have them come in for a second asking people to be quiet which doesn't even work...because it's a bar!! Geeee...let me buy a home in proximity of a bar and then complain that the bar is making too much noise....on the weekend! What is wrong with you rats? Holy moly! Get a life! Wow!

I also want to add that the new residents complained about the gorgeous church bells that rung on 6th and Monmouth. That was a beautiful aspect to this area and the newbies complained so much that a church now cannot ring their bells! Their Church Bells!!! Who the heck doesn't like church bells! I'm Jewish and I even love the pretty historic noise they make!

JC Make It Yours...yeah I don't think so! It was everyone's before these douches moved in! Whaaaa the bars make noise...whaaa the church rings it's bells...whaaa whaaa whaaaa...go back to Manhattan or wherever you came from! Holy mackerel

Posted on: 2017/3/11 7:17

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/16 14:24
From Beirut
Group:
Registered Users
Agreed!

Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
I'm pretty sure that liquor licensing laws would state it is illegal to serve patrons that are intoxicated or even appear intoxicated ... if I'm right, then we shouldn't have any 'drunks' on the streets at closing time or anytime at all in the plaza ! Police could issue penalties or even suspend / cancel their licence (if they wanted) to bars and restaurants if anyone does walk out of their premises drunk !

Posted on: 2017/3/11 7:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
If you want to go back to the "original sin" it is not the Pedestrian Plaza. The Restaurant Row ordinance has impacted the situation much more. It took several years to get going, and the Plaza may have encouraged some more openings and traffic. But the Restaurant Row was designed to encourage this development, and we are now dealing with the side effects.

If it could not be handled, then cutting off alcohol sales earlier is a better idea than shutting down the plaza.

But I don't think the problem is unmanageable. More active police presence and cracking down on bars that are the source of the problem can be done. We are talking about a few blocks, and only a handful of the establishments that are responsible for the problem.

Posted on: 2017/3/11 4:10

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/11 20:47
Group:
Registered Users
A study of film history offers the solution. As seen in Roadhouse any late night bar a la the Double Deuce needs to hire its own team of coolers like Dalton to contain the problems...

Ahhhh hilarious!

Posted on: 2017/3/11 3:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
Quote:

iGreg wrote:
Quote:

nafco wrote:
how can a place like bourbon street exist or 6 street in austin, and JC cant sustain a 2 block stretch without chaos ensuing? why cant we have nice things like a ped plaza without issue?

i think this goes beyond just booze though maybe there is more police patrolling the other places in the world that open their streets to the public after drinking hours.

Police are present in those locations Fam.

DTJC is pretty serene except for some pissy drunks.

And the gauntlet of "professional fund raisers" during daylight hours... have not seen them lately but there was a group who said they were from Penn State asking for money for a number of weekends.

You walk east to west to run errands, some guy hits you up and then when you return, the same guy doesn't even remember you gave him a buck 10 minutes ago?
well, the professional fund raisers are everywhere on a well trafficked street...in manhattan, you see a pair on both sides of the street so one can't avoid walking past them...making potential eye contact

Posted on: 2017/3/11 1:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
I'm pretty sure that liquor licensing laws would state it is illegal to serve patrons that are intoxicated or even appear intoxicated ... if I'm right, then we shouldn't have any 'drunks' on the streets at closing time or anytime at all in the plaza ! Police could issue penalties or even suspend / cancel their licence (if they wanted) to bars and restaurants if anyone does walk out of their premises drunk !

Posted on: 2017/3/11 0:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The Broboken type bars have not raised property values. The NYC/Brooklyn spillover has raised property values. The marginal property OWNER in DTJC is not doing shots at 2AM at Porta

Posted on: 2017/3/10 23:20

(1) 2 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017