Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
59 user(s) are online (53 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 59

more...

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 43 »

Re: Jersey City mayor-elect orders end to citywide reval
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

135jc wrote:
You can't use Newark or Patterson as a comparison either. Their property values are much lower and they employ the same services as JC. Also aside from sales tax what other taxes do NY city residents pay? The outer boroughs have extremely low taxes and tremendous services.

How about NYC income tax?? They also have a stupendous commercial tax base, you simply can't compare anywhere to NYC. But the biggie is they simply tax small properties at a fraction of others. Here's their tax page, class 1 is 1-3 units, anything more is one of others. It's pretty byzantine, having different equalization rates and tax rates for each group.

http://www1.nyc.gov/site/finance/taxes/property-tax-rates.page
Quote:
Your Assessed Value is based on a percentage of your Market Value. This percentage is known as the Level of Assessment or Assessment Ratio. Your Assessment Ratio depends on your tax class.

Assessment Ratios
Tax class 1 6%
Tax class 2, 3 and 4 45%

Here's a page that tries to explain it. http://commongroundnyc.org/nicemess.htm

Have you ever checked out tax rates elsewhere? We're actually right in the middle for North Jersey. Try Bergen County http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/pdf/lpt/gtrber15.pdf

Posted on: 2017/2/17 3:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/22 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
y
brewster wrote:
Quote:

135jc wrote:
Jersey City market values are driven by it's close proximity to NYC. I can't stand when someone pretends that a 700k brownstone is the equivalent of a 700k house in the suburbs sitting on 2 acres of property. The brownstone in JC sits on a 25x100 lot if lucky. There is a larger tax base here plus tremendous business and industry to offset taxes. The truth is those in cities should pay less then those in sparsely populated areas. If u want to use NYC as a comparison go ahead. Taxes on similarly valued property are a fraction of what people in JC pay even using the old assessed values.

And Brewster you are constantly playing devil's advocate. Judging from the fact u are a long time resident of Hamilton Park you may just be in for a surprise when the reval hits.

The budget line differences between real cities and suburbs is tremendous. Everything from uniformed services to road work cost more due to more usage. Even our roads decay much faster from the beating they take. You can't compare to NYC, it chooses to tax residential property artificially low and compensate in other taxes. Compare instead to any close-in city in Bergen, or Westchester or Nassau and our taxes look normal.

And no, I won't be surprised, but neither do I think I should be getting special treatment because I somehow deserve it. On the other hand my taxes are not as low as many round here so I don't think they'll quite double. But they might.

G-P, there are people paying 3x the effective tax rate of some Downtowners, because their assessments are way too high. FMV comps will lower them, I got one of mine lowered 2 years ago.

You can't use Newark or Patterson as a comparison either. Their property values are much lower and they employ the same services as JC. Also aside from sales tax what other taxes do NY city residents pay? The outer boroughs have extremely low taxes and tremendous services.

Posted on: 2017/2/17 1:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

135jc wrote:
Jersey City market values are driven by it's close proximity to NYC. I can't stand when someone pretends that a 700k brownstone is the equivalent of a 700k house in the suburbs sitting on 2 acres of property. The brownstone in JC sits on a 25x100 lot if lucky. There is a larger tax base here plus tremendous business and industry to offset taxes. The truth is those in cities should pay less then those in sparsely populated areas. If u want to use NYC as a comparison go ahead. Taxes on similarly valued property are a fraction of what people in JC pay even using the old assessed values.

And Brewster you are constantly playing devil's advocate. Judging from the fact u are a long time resident of Hamilton Park you may just be in for a surprise when the reval hits.

The budget line differences between real cities and suburbs is tremendous. Everything from uniformed services to road work cost more due to more usage. Even our roads decay much faster from the beating they take. You can't compare to NYC, it chooses to tax residential property artificially low and compensate in other taxes. Compare instead to any close-in city in Bergen, or Westchester or Nassau and our taxes look normal.

And no, I won't be surprised, but neither do I think I should be getting special treatment because I somehow deserve it. On the other hand my taxes are not as low as many round here so I don't think they'll quite double. But they might.

G-P, there are people paying 3x the effective tax rate of some Downtowners, because their assessments are way too high. FMV comps will lower them, I got one of mine lowered 2 years ago.

Posted on: 2017/2/17 1:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

135jc wrote:
My original point was in response to people trying to compare property values and tax rates in Jersey city to those in the suburbs. It is not a fair comparison since an area with sparse population with a smaller base should be paying a higher rate. Using Summit as an example you can see that even with the town assuming most of the education costs they pay a far less tax rate then Jersey City pre or post reval.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7-P ... t-NJ-07901/40063490_zpid/

There's far more to it than that-large, urban cities like JC are rife with corruption, bloat, patronage, etc that adds to taxes (and yes, I know the crime is higher so you need more police, more density means more fire department support). If a city governs itself well and keeps costs down good for them. Most suburbs don't give out PILOT's like homeowners giving out Halloween candy, either.

Posted on: 2017/2/16 23:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
My original point was in response to people trying to compare property values and tax rates in Jersey city to those in the suburbs. It is not a fair comparison since an area with sparse population with a smaller base should be paying a higher rate. Using Summit as an example you can see that even with the town assuming most of the education costs they pay a far less tax rate then Jersey City pre or post reval.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7-P ... t-NJ-07901/40063490_zpid/

Posted on: 2017/2/16 22:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
It's hard to make a direct comparison of suburban (say, Summit) real estate taxes to JC. The biggest part of most suburban budget is education, and Summit, for example, covers 86% of its own school costs. JC self funds about 17%.

Posted on: 2017/2/16 21:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
not sure I follow your logic. Of course a highly populated city should theoretically have lower taxes than a suburb with 2 acre minimum lots. JC has a much bigger denominator than Summit. Yet post-Reval DTJC owners will be paying Summit type property taxes. I am not sure people are going to like that given the overall value proposition. Brooklyn rowhouses pay much lower percentages in RE taxes relative to FMV as NYC has an even bigger denominator than JC.

My view is that JC taxes at 1.8 - 2.2% of FMV will be a strong headwind if the Reval is done accurately. I think people would rather pay a higher price for their asset (equity) and lower taxes than the other way around. We'll find out eventually...

Posted on: 2017/2/16 21:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/2/6 21:56
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/2/16 21:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dr_nick_riviera wrote:
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
That property we're discussing shows how ridiculous a disparity there is between comps and cap rates. Ignoramuses like Yvonne have complained about this before, that houses are valued more than commercial, and now it's going to be on steroids.

I suspect there will be many investment properties that are technically residential (4 units or less) that might become cash flow negative after the reval. I wonder if we will have a flood of buildings for sale hitting the market say about six months after the reval take effect?

I do think a positive, unintended consequence will be that it will finally get the owners of a lot of vacant lots that dot Downtown to stop waiting around for a super lucrative offer and finally sell. I also think a lot of the slumlords will find their properties too expensive to carry and may force out some of the remaining riff raff.

Reval may be best thing that ever happened then. Have the appraisers even started yet? No way the city is even remotely on track.

Posted on: 2017/2/16 20:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Most on here who want the reval are real estate speculators who bought buildings in the last 10 years and got good deals because the taxes were a bit high and now they want to get a brake on those taxes.

Please stop acting like you want to help the poor.

GP, you usually don't post this silly. Any RE professional who buys an overtaxed building immediately appeals the tax. It's the uneducated homeowners who are getting ripped off.

Wow...

Resized Image

As any RE investor (like yourself) knows -- it is hard to get RE taxes reduced much beyond whatever the comps are for your RE investment area (ie. The Heights).

Posted on: 2017/2/16 20:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mfadam wrote:
The phase in logic doesn't add up. Most DTJC rowhouse owners CAN PAY, they just don't want to pay. The artist who bought in 1995 and has a $1mm unrealized capital gain can borrow against equity to pay. The yuppie who bought in the last 3 years can pay.

Turn your argument around - do you think the guy in BELA who has been overpaying for years thinks the phase in is fair? Should he keep overpaying albeit in smaller amounts each year?

JC is long overdue to fix this reverse Robin Hood mess.

Any reval appraisals will take into consideration the new tax structure when valuing the homes. It is simple bond math.

The bigger issue is will DTJC rowhouses be attractive when they sport 30K in property taxes. I think the psychology is the million dollar question..

Posted on: 2017/2/16 20:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Most on here who want the reval are real estate speculators who bought buildings in the last 10 years and got good deals because the taxes were a bit high and now they want to get a brake on those taxes.

GP, you usually don't post this silly. Any RE professional who buys an overtaxed building immediately appeals the tax. It's the uneducated homeowners who are getting ripped off.

Posted on: 2017/2/16 20:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/2/16 19:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Ralph_Abutts wrote:
I'm not proposing how that be done, but it should be done, and only a one time exception. *Every* property owner and the city itself will be much better off with that approach than following the current statute, which under the current scenario will wreck havoc on the city.

Please tell us how you explain to owners who have been overpaying for many years, that outnumber the underpayers, that it's in their best interest to overpay a few more so others can continue to underpay?

This has been in the works and the press for quite a few years, everybody should be properly braced by now. Some like DanL and Yvonne have sold (leaving much gain on the table), but it'll be a surprise to few. Dragging it out further is pandering.

Posted on: 2017/2/16 17:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The phase in logic doesn't add up. Most DTJC rowhouse owners CAN PAY, they just don't want to pay. The artist who bought in 1995 and has a $1mm unrealized capital gain can borrow against equity to pay. The yuppie who bought in the last 3 years can pay.

Turn your argument around - do you think the guy in BELA who has been overpaying for years thinks the phase in is fair? Should he keep overpaying albeit in smaller amounts each year?

JC is long overdue to fix this reverse Robin Hood mess.

Any reval appraisals will take into consideration the new tax structure when valuing the homes. It is simple bond math.

The bigger issue is will DTJC rowhouses be attractive when they sport 30K in property taxes. I think the psychology is the million dollar question..

Posted on: 2017/2/16 16:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/10 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
How would a phase-in work, though? To Brewster's point - the only way you can not delay fully raising the taxes of those due an increase is by delaying lowering the taxes of those due a cut, unless there is either something else to fill the gap like state aid or the city goes without a chunk of revenue. Neither seems likely.

By phasing-in the reval, those who will end up with lower property taxes will do so with permanency.

The tax reval statutes were written under the assumption a municipality regularly does a reval. Obviously, J.C. hasn't and from the political perspective, there is all the more incentive to dig its heels in further and delay.

Without a phase-in, once the reval is complete, you will have property owners that will have their taxes double, triple, or quadruple overnight.

When that happens, many will be unable to pay their property taxes. When they don't pay, guess who pays? Answer: everyone else when the tax rate increases.

Additionally, property taxes influence real estate values. When your taxes increase 4xs overnight, that is not good for the value of your home.

Property tax amounts are determined, in part by the assessed (loosely market) value of the property.

When the property values tank, those owners will appeal their tax bill successfully. When they pay less, that means everyone else pays more - without making cuts to the budget.

My point is, yes there will be folks who will save on taxes, post reval, but they can save even more if the reval is phased in.

I'm not proposing how that be done, but it should be done, and only a one time exception. *Every* property owner and the city itself will be much better off with that approach than following the current statute, which under the current scenario will wreck havoc on the city.

I wrote about this some time ago, here. Sometimes it takes a little foresight to think one step ahead.

Posted on: 2017/2/16 16:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

If you are sitting on a property 700K or more, which is pretty much most of DTJC, you *are* wealthy by pretty much any metric out there. Even by regional standards, you are doing very well... time to get this reval done and really get local fair taxation in place.

Except that most of them have large mortgages, student debt, car payments, and spend too much of their disposable income on dining out, etc.

Have you heard of the expression "house rich, cash poor"? This is common among homeowners downtown...and everywhere.

Posted on: 2017/2/16 16:00

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/18 21:02
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
When do 2018 appraised values have to be sent out? Is it possible we have the election on November 7 then get our new appraised values/tax a few days later?

Posted on: 2017/2/16 15:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mfadam wrote:
Steve knows he's on thin ice with a lot of the DTJC voters who are less than pleased with what he has actually done while in office.

Throw in another 10-20K per year in RE taxes for the $1mm plus rowhouse crowd and you can bet the votes/donations will be tough to come by...

Exactly. So, it should come as NO SURPRISE that this administration will do ANYTHING possible to put off the reval until after the election happening later this year. Once re-elected, the administration would be more likely to survive the repercussions of the reval by weathering the criticism and fallout until the next election in 2021.

Posted on: 2017/2/16 15:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Steve knows he's on thin ice with a lot of the DTJC voters who are less than pleased with what he has actually done while in office.

Throw in another 10-20K per year in RE taxes for the $1mm plus rowhouse crowd and you can bet the votes/donations will be tough to come by...

Posted on: 2017/2/16 15:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Also, it is pretty amusing that all liberals and progressives are in favor of "fair taxation" that expects the wealthy to pay their "fair share" in the form of MORE taxes, until they realize they are actually part of that wealthy group and now it is all about "wait, no, think about us, the 'middle class', how can I be expected to pay that much more in taxes?"

If you are sitting on a property 700K or more, which is pretty much most of DTJC, you *are* wealthy by pretty much any metric out there. Even by regional standards, you are doing very well... time to get this reval done and really get local fair taxation in place.
i love limousine liberals, don't you?

Posted on: 2017/2/16 14:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Also, it is pretty amusing that all liberals and progressives are in favor of "fair taxation" that expects the wealthy to pay their "fair share" in the form of MORE taxes, until they realize they are actually part of that wealthy group and now it is all about "wait, no, think about us, the 'middle class', how can I be expected to pay that much more in taxes?"

Posted on: 2017/2/16 13:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
At this point, I think it is safe to assume that the reval will not be completed on time for the 2018 bills. So, what is that, a 5-year delay? There is your delay. I am REALLY surprised the city has been able to get away with these shenanigans for so long.

Posted on: 2017/2/16 13:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
How would a phase-in work, though? To Brewster's point - the only way you can not delay fully raising the taxes of those due an increase is by delaying lowering the taxes of those due a cut, unless there is either something else to fill the gap like state aid or the city goes without a chunk of revenue. Neither seems likely.

State aid to reward a city for not having a reval in almost three decades? I don't see that happening, especially given the billions and billions of dollars (yes, billions) the state taxpayers already give JC.

Posted on: 2017/2/16 12:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/2/16 10:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I believe it could be phased over 3 years which JC Together recommended. They also supported legislation to extend to 5 years. But, the city will have delayed close to 4 more years, achieving similar effect. And once the city committed and engaged a reval firm, it now has failed to finalize the tax maps (which work should have been initiated back in May).

While a phase in would appear reasonable, the city has willfully delayed it at every turn. Does it make sense to further delay?

Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
That would be great to have an adjustment period.

Quote:

terrencemcd wrote:
Quote:

135jc wrote:
Has anyone heard that any tax increase from the reval would be stepped in over 5 yrs? I was told this the other day but can't find info on it.

There was talk of getting the state Legislature to OK that but I do not believe the city can legally do it.

Posted on: 2017/2/16 2:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
That would be great to have an adjustment period.

Quote:

terrencemcd wrote:
Quote:

135jc wrote:
Has anyone heard that any tax increase from the reval would be stepped in over 5 yrs? I was told this the other day but can't find info on it.

There was talk of getting the state Legislature to OK that but I do not believe the city can legally do it.

Posted on: 2017/2/16 1:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

135jc wrote:

And how is that fair to people overpaying? Seems a great way to create a class action suit. I'm amazed there isn't one already over the long delayed reval. I'm not lawyer, but surely you can sue for being overcharged for many years because the city ignored the state law requiring a reval when the equalization drops below 85%.

Posted on: 2017/2/16 1:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
12/27 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
When Newark was forced to do a reval, I spoke to one of their Councilmen, sorry I forgot who. He told me he had a bill in the state legislation to allow Newark to have a five year increment period. I don't know what happened but usually Newark gets legislation passed.

Posted on: 2017/2/15 21:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/2/6 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

135jc wrote:

Posted on: 2017/2/15 20:51

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 43 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017