Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
116 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 116

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Carting company with 1/2 yard rollaway debris bins?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jcneighbor wrote:
Sheetrock over lath can be a challenge if your lath is warped and your sheetrock panels are off at the edges. Doing it on the ceiling is a drag. Call in your buddies for beer and pizza and tell them to bring their screw guns! Heck, we've gone this deep, I'll even help!

It's done, rented a panel hoist and paid my 17 yo son and his buddy for a couple hours. Showed them how to use the screwgun, then got to stay on the floor and kibbitz. Oh yeah, left out the most important part, they shlepped that 5/8 rock up to the 4th floor too! Was fun to tell them "stay in school you'll be doing real work like this every day". Not that either of them are at risk of that.

Now I'm sculpting the walls and moldings flat. Mud, sand, mud sand. Ready to shoot myself, but it'll look great when I'm done. Classy tenants love grand moldings.

Posted on: 2017/2/2 23:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/10 13:10
From Downtown JC, VVP Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

jcneighbor wrote:
My experience? There's always more debris than you thought there would be. And if that ceiling is plaster and lath it's WAY more. I had one job on one of my rental properties and I figured I could parcel it out over a couple of weeks but it was more than I thought so I asked the local JC Trash Driver if he'd work with me. Borrowed some heavy cans from my neighbors, loaded them up and two days later I dropped the driver $20 and $10 to each of his two helpers and it all magically disappeared. It was probably 400 lbs. total. Time to get creative

I left the lath up partly for this reason. I've heard about paying off the workers, but I'd rather not encourage any more corruption in JC than we already have. Soon you'd need to be paying them just to take your regular garbage.

I hear you loud and clear. When I did that 25 years ago the only other option was a local guy with a pickup truck who would just dump it at the end of a dead end street. At least this got the debris to a proper dump site...

Sheetrock over lath can be a challenge if your lath is warped and your sheetrock panels are off at the edges. Doing it on the ceiling is a drag. Call in your buddies for beer and pizza and tell them to bring their screw guns! Heck, we've gone this deep, I'll even help!

Posted on: 2017/2/2 22:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jcneighbor wrote:
My experience? There's always more debris than you thought there would be. And if that ceiling is plaster and lath it's WAY more. I had one job on one of my rental properties and I figured I could parcel it out over a couple of weeks but it was more than I thought so I asked the local JC Trash Driver if he'd work with me. Borrowed some heavy cans from my neighbors, loaded them up and two days later I dropped the driver $20 and $10 to each of his two helpers and it all magically disappeared. It was probably 400 lbs. total. Time to get creative

I left the lath up partly for this reason. I've heard about paying off the workers, but I'd rather not encourage any more corruption in JC than we already have. Soon you'd need to be paying them just to take your regular garbage.

Posted on: 2017/2/2 21:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

jcneighbor wrote:
The more you have, the cheaper the truck looks. How many 1/2 yard bins do you think you'd need? [My back hurts just thinking about the last major demolition I did, including a ceiling with about 5 layers...]

It's only the plaster from an 11x11 ceiling and cutting a doorway, and thin crappy plaster at that, 1/4" in spots!! Not much volume, less than a yard IMO, but heavy as hell. In retrospect I should have just put the 5/8 rock over it. You can get your regular pickup to take small bundles of scrap lumber if you dribble them out, but they'll never take 40 lb bags of plaster.

So, $100/yard is cheaper than $200 minimum.

Posted on: 2017/2/2 21:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jcneighbor wrote:
The more you have, the cheaper the truck looks. How many 1/2 yard bins do you think you'd need? [My back hurts just thinking about the last major demolition I did, including a ceiling with about 5 layers...]

It's only the plaster from an 11x11 ceiling and cutting a doorway, and thin crappy plaster at that, 1/4" in spots!! Not much volume, less than a yard IMO, but heavy as hell. In retrospect I should have just put the 5/8 rock over it. You can get your regular pickup to take small bundles of scrap lumber if you dribble them out, but they'll never take 40 lb bags of plaster.

So, $100/yard is cheaper than $200 minimum.

Posted on: 2017/2/2 20:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.reliablejims.com/
I see them around town. Minimum price $200.

Posted on: 2017/2/2 20:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

jcneighbor wrote:
Brewster, My neighbor's having trouble logging in to JCList but she suggested the following:

Falesto Brothers. 200 Merseles St,. Jersey City, NJ 07302. (201) 653-3295.

Thanks, that's who I used last time. I wonder how the prices of the guys who look at your pile and quote you compare?

Posted on: 2017/2/2 17:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
You could check Angie's list. It's now free to register and search.

Posted on: 2017/2/2 17:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jcneighbor wrote:
Brewster, My neighbor's having trouble logging in to JCList but she suggested the following:

Thanks, that's who I used last time. I wonder how the prices of the guys who look at your pile and quote you compare?

Posted on: 2017/2/2 16:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/2/2 10:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I used those things for a pretty big gut job about 15 years ago and found them to be a pain. Also paid about the same but don't recall the company name. The next time I used a private hauler with a truck but I'm pretty sure he retired.

I just noticed a medium-size truck down the block from me with the phone number "1-800-Got-Junk" painted on all sides. I've seen this company around here before. Might be worth seeing if they'll give you a quote-

Posted on: 2017/2/1 19:35

Carting company with 1/2 yard rollaway debris bins?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Anyone know a good company for this? Last time I did it some years ago it cost $50 per 1/2 yard, which seemed kinda high.

Posted on: 2017/2/1 18:30

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017