Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
49 user(s) are online (26 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 1
Guests: 48

Yvonne, more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: NJ Democrats for Governor
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
From Earth
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you Bodhipooh and Monroe for your understanding.

It's too bad that New Jersey has had to rely on taxes from people's appetites instead of taxes from industry in order to run the machine of government, but this is what the politicians have brought us to with their greed and self interests.

Posted on: 1/12 7:59
Print Top

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
From One of the Oranges
Group:
Registered Users
All of the Democratic candidates and Jack Ciattarelli support marijuana legalization.

Murphy is definitely for an excise tax and uses the NJPP's $300 million annual revenue estimate.

Jack Ciattarelli is pro-legalization but is undecided on an excise tax. He says he doesn't like that monetary gain would be the primary argument for legalization, but if the Democrats pushed him on an excise tax (which would mean that NJ would have to have a larger regulatory role), I'd be surprised if he vetoed it.

I don't know where Lesniak and Wisniewski are on an excise tax.

Posted on: 1/11 10:28
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RichMauro wrote:
Bodipooh,

You're putting words and suppositions into my post.

Rich.

You are right. I was misconstrued what you wrote to mean something others have stated in the past. My apologies for the confusion.

Posted on: 1/11 0:03
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

RichMauro wrote:
The next governor will be forced into recognizing that the legalization of marijuana will help New Jersey with its crushing debt situation.

I think Murphy has already endorsed the idea. We know that legislators led by Sweeney have intentions of getting it before the state in 2018.

Why not?

Legalizing marijuana will not be the solution to budget problems. You are projecting a rosy scenario based on the assumption of a static scenario. If NJ legalizes marijuana in 2017, you can be almost assured that NYS will do the same shortly thereafter. There is already a lot of pressure in Albany to take up the idea after the voters in MA voted in favor of legalization. There is no way NYS will sit back and allow MA and NJ to reap all the benefits of increased tax revenues from such a move. So, yes, NJ would see some increase in revenue from the taxation of marijuana legalization, but that gravy train will not last long amid competition from other states in the area.

All he said was that legalization would "help" with the budget problems.

I find it hard that anyone could disagree.

Posted on: 1/10 22:28
Print Top

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
From Earth
Group:
Registered Users
Bodipooh,

You're putting words and suppositions into my post.

Rich.

Posted on: 1/10 22:15
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RichMauro wrote:
The next governor will be forced into recognizing that the legalization of marijuana will help New Jersey with its crushing debt situation.

I think Murphy has already endorsed the idea. We know that legislators led by Sweeney have intentions of getting it before the state in 2018.

Why not?

Legalizing marijuana will not be the solution to budget problems. You are projecting a rosy scenario based on the assumption of a static scenario. If NJ legalizes marijuana in 2017, you can be almost assured that NYS will do the same shortly thereafter. There is already a lot of pressure in Albany to take up the idea after the voters in MA voted in favor of legalization. There is no way NYS will sit back and allow MA and NJ to reap all the benefits of increased tax revenues from such a move. So, yes, NJ would see some increase in revenue from the taxation of marijuana legalization, but that gravy train will not last long amid competition from other states in the area.

Posted on: 1/10 21:28
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
Will vote for whoever supports full legalization.

Posted on: 1/10 14:27
Print Top

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
From Earth
Group:
Registered Users

Why not?

Posted on: 1/10 8:35
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
The next governor must solve this. http://watchdog.org/239085/new-jersey-debt-170b/

Posted on: 1/9 12:25
Print Top

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
From One of the Oranges
Group:
Registered Users

None of the Democrats has a real plan on NJ's debt crisis, property tax crisis, and economic stagnation.

Lesniak and Wisniewski voted against Chapter 78 and Murphy has said he would have. Without Chapter 78 and the suspension of COLAs, NJ's unfunded liability over 30 year would be tens of billions of dollars higher. Chapter 78 also had a provision making health insurance cost sharing by public employees mandatory - a move that has taken a lot of pressure off of school districts.

The three of them talk about a "millionaire's tax" to solve NJ's fiscal problems, but the OLS's estimate if that if you increase the top bracket from 8.97% to 10.75% you only bring in $600 million.

Since NJ's deficit against the actuarially recommended contribution is now $3 billion, $600 million is nowhere near adequate.

Murphy's solution to NJ's problems is "economic growth," but NJ's relative economic stagnation goes back much farther than Christie's term and I fail to see a reason why the same policies that have fallen flat in Connecticut (under progressive governor Dannel Malloy) would be more effective in New Jersey.

I think the Murphy/Wisniewski/Lesniak $15 an hour minimum wage would be damaging to the economy too, especially to businesses that compete against businesses in other states. It would wreck agriculture and hurt call centers and manufacturing.
How can NJ have a $15 an hour minimum wage when Pennsylvania's is only $7.25?

IMO, the best choice for governor is Jack Ciattarelli.

Ciattarelli supports cost-sharing for pension recipients getting pensions in excess of $50,000 a year. He supports dropping NJ's "Platinum Plus" healthcare for active employees down to the Obamacare "Gold Level."

Ciattarelli also supports raising taxes on the rich, but the health insurance reform frees up over $2 billion.

Posted on: 1/9 10:54
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

RichMauro wrote:
Is it true that Wisniewski initiated the traffic cameras?

And he was supported $ by the red light camera companies. He also tried to introduce the 'you get a ticket if you're caught holding a coffee cup/soda' in your hand while driving.

Typical nanny state mentality and policies...

Somehow our parents and their parents managed to get through life and build up this country while sipping their coffee, and holding up maps to navigate their way, while driving.

But, that law was not an outlier... sadly, we find ourselves in the midst of unprecedented government intrusion into our lives, with silly laws that restrict or dictate everyday stuff that is suddenly considered illegal or worthy of regulations, even silly things like kids not being allowed to set up a lemonade stand (to make some money selling lemonade) without a permit.

Posted on: 1/8 13:29
Print Top

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
From Earth
Group:
Registered Users
Profile of him in today's Ledger.

Those traffic cameras caused more anxiety in drivers and goodness knows how many rear end accidents.

I would guess that if he becomes Governor we'll be looking at more invasive laws to garner revenue.

Posted on: 1/8 13:13
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RichMauro wrote:

And he was supported $ by the red light camera companies. He also tried to introduce the 'you get a ticket if you're caught holding a coffee cup/soda' in your hand while driving.

Posted on: 1/8 12:41
Print Top

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
From Earth
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 1/8 11:56
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

135jc wrote:
Dont forget Booker because he is of couse qualified.

lol, he wouldn't run for Gov with a gun to his head. He's an empty suit, but a smart one.

Posted on: 1/7 19:41
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Dont forget Booker because he is of couse qualified.

Posted on: 1/7 19:10
Print Top

NJ Democrats for Governor
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Sweeney bailed, Fulop bailed, Lesniak bailed, Murphy's in, Whizzy's in, and now Lesniak is back in.

I'm liking Lesniak of those three.

Posted on: 1/6 22:11
Print Top

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017