Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
120 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 120

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Re: Complete Streets - Bike JC's Grand Street Vision
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jcneighbor wrote:
I've seen plenty of clueless cyclists and we've got a shiteload of bad drivers, many of whom are cutting through DTJC at rush hour and they're in a pissy mood 'cause the traffic sucks. Sharing isn't even remotely in most drivers' minds. I ride, I drive, I walk, and I've come to the conclusion that all have become a matter of defensive navigation.

Enforcement around here is a joke. Practically none at all.

I was waiting to cross Jersey Ave this afternoon (in a marked crosswalk), and there was a woman with a baby stroller next to me. We saw a JC Cop car approaching and figured he'd stop. Nope. He was on his cell phone held up to his ear, not wearing a seat belt, speeding, and one of his head lights was out. 4 violations right there, 5 if you include the failure to yield...

Resident parking enforcement? Nope. 1/4 of the cars on my block all day are commuters without permits.

Parking too close to the corner? All the time. Sometimes even into the crosswalks. The worst offender BY FAR is the main public library -- they'll park a big-ass truck into the crosswalk almost every day and you can't see around it without going into the traffic lane. No tickets...

Been here 30 years and it's worse than it's ever been. Do we need more cops? Maybe, but how about we start with existing cops doing their job?

Resized Image

Posted on: 2017/1/13 1:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/16 19:07
Group:
Registered Users
Here's a link to a traffic report that dates back to 2009:

http://www.jcvillage.org/wp-content/t ... pjan7upfinalreupdated.pdf

Posted on: 2017/1/13 1:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
JC unlike Bayonne or other cities in Hudson County has the turnpike, 1 & 9, skyway, Route 9, etc. Those cars are not necessarily local residents. Awhile back under the Schundler Administration, a study was done on the cars that enter JC during rush hour. I heard but did not read the report. The number floating around was 100,000 cars passing through JC. So all of this talk about stronger car restrictions will not help. It is a time to do another number count of cars passing through JC. By the way, many cars leave the turnpike and use the local streets to get to the Holland Tunnel.

Posted on: 2017/1/12 23:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/10 13:10
From Downtown JC, VVP Area
Group:
Registered Users
I've seen plenty of clueless cyclists and we've got a shiteload of bad drivers, many of whom are cutting through DTJC at rush hour and they're in a pissy mood 'cause the traffic sucks. Sharing isn't even remotely in most drivers' minds. I ride, I drive, I walk, and I've come to the conclusion that all have become a matter of defensive navigation.

Enforcement around here is a joke. Practically none at all.

I was waiting to cross Jersey Ave this afternoon (in a marked crosswalk), and there was a woman with a baby stroller next to me. We saw a JC Cop car approaching and figured he'd stop. Nope. He was on his cell phone held up to his ear, not wearing a seat belt, speeding, and one of his head lights was out. 4 violations right there, 5 if you include the failure to yield...

Resident parking enforcement? Nope. 1/4 of the cars on my block all day are commuters without permits.

Parking too close to the corner? All the time. Sometimes even into the crosswalks. The worst offender BY FAR is the main public library -- they'll park a big-ass truck into the crosswalk almost every day and you can't see around it without going into the traffic lane. No tickets...

Been here 30 years and it's worse than it's ever been. Do we need more cops? Maybe, but how about we start with existing cops doing their job?

Posted on: 2017/1/12 21:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Hudson County has 3.95 accidents per 10,000 residents. http://www.tstc.org/reports/njbiking/

Interesting. My guess would be that this info would match up nicely to statistics on general vehicle-to-vehicle crashes. More cars = more crashes.

I'm glad that they are referring to collisions as "crashes" instead of "accidents" though.

Posted on: 2017/1/12 21:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Hudson County has 3.95 accidents per 10,000 residents. http://www.tstc.org/reports/njbiking/

Posted on: 2017/1/12 20:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/1 14:07
From Earth
Group:
Registered Users
Well then, my ignorance seems to be the problem. I thought that bike lanes were for riding in by bicycle riders.

Please accept my apology.

Posted on: 2017/1/12 19:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RichMauro wrote:
Well, if you can explain how to fix Terhune Avenue for safe bike riding up or down that lane, I'll defer to your wisdom.
Compromise to bring safety is not backward thinking.

A bike lane is not a traffic-calming device, that is not the reason they are being placed throughout the city. They are not stop signs, they are not traffic lights and they are not speed humps.

Bike lanes are visual cues to motorists that other human beings have the legal right to use the roadways; that roads are meant to be SHARED.

When roads are not shared, when aggressive driving becomes a problem, THEN it becomes a matter of police enforcement and/or civil engineering.

Terhune Avenue is not an exception to any other one-way street in JC with a bike lane.

Posted on: 2017/1/12 18:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Earth
Group:
Registered Users
Well, if you can explain how to fix Terhune Avenue for safe bike riding up or down that lane, I'll defer to your wisdom.
Compromise to bring safety is not backward thinking.

Posted on: 2017/1/12 17:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RichMauro wrote:
On Wednesday night my wife and I visited my sister-in-law up on Terhune Avenue. Terhune is a park on both sides venue. There is a bike lane on the left side of the road, and I just shake my head in disbelief that it's there. If a careless passenger exits their car without looking and a bike rider collides with the door and the passenger while a car is coming up the road tragedy is inevitable.
As a bike rider myself, that opened car door is something I fear more than traffic.
I feel that a compromise may be reached within Jersey City wherein bikes should be off limits on some dangerous streets in order to focus more on the wider avenues where citizens will realize that bikes are to be expected and there is room to avoid tragedy.
The lack of thought that the city administration displayed in putting bike lanes on streets that are dangerous for bike riders was an unnecessary and probably expensive waste of public funds and of no use to the bicycle rider.

This is exactly the backwards thinking that we are fighting against. We don't cater to dangerous streets ? we fix the issues that make them dangerous.

BTW, on one-way streets, bike lanes SHOULD be placed on the left side of the road (along the passenger side of vehicles). The chance of a door collision is reduced significantly, since every car must have a driver but not always a passenger.

Posted on: 2017/1/12 14:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Earth
Group:
Registered Users
On Wednesday night my wife and I visited my sister-in-law up on Terhune Avenue. Terhune is a park on both sides venue. There is a bike lane on the left side of the road, and I just shake my head in disbelief that it's there. If a careless passenger exits their car without looking and a bike rider collides with the door and the passenger while a car is coming up the road tragedy is inevitable.
As a bike rider myself, that opened car door is something I fear more than traffic.
I feel that a compromise may be reached within Jersey City wherein bikes should be off limits on some dangerous streets in order to focus more on the wider avenues where citizens will realize that bikes are to be expected and there is room to avoid tragedy.
The lack of thought that the city administration displayed in putting bike lanes on streets that are dangerous for bike riders was an unnecessary and probably expensive waste of public funds and of no use to the bicycle rider.

Posted on: 2017/1/12 13:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
* 4 to 3 road diets have been shown to actually move the same amount of traffic, just slow down and at more steady rate.

Linking to this data will make your statement more credible. My problem with this is concern that it won't work in JC's environment of double parking and buses not bothering to pull into the bus stops. Then there's one lane, just stopped.

Posted on: 2017/1/10 17:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Reducing the number of lanes on Grand is a bad idea, has anyone seen the traffic on those roads now with the existing number of lanes?

This has been proven false.

* 4 to 3 road diets have been shown to actually move the same amount of traffic, just slow down and at more steady rate.

* Less stop and go traffic - more continious flow

* Dedicated turning lanes mean cars are out of the way of main traffic flow

* Having a 4-lane highway (as we have now) invites traffic off the Turnpike as a route to cut to the Holland Tunnel

* City is growing and there's nothing left to pave

Posted on: 2017/1/10 16:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

iGreg wrote:
*Reality Check, complete streets are away from DTJC.
Kennedy Blvd needs a bike lane.
CCD has a bike path already so whining about Grand Street is
superfluous.

Complete Streets is a transportation policy and design approach that requires streets to be planned, designed, operated, and maintained to enable safe, convenient and comfortable travel and access for users of all ages and abilities regardless of their mode of transportation.

To provide additional info on this - this is correct. However, "Complete Streets" is the NJ State program to do this. It is not as robust as the NACTO guidelines (http://nacto.org/) used by most all urban areas, including NYC. NACTO's is the design principal we should be asking JC to implement.

Posted on: 2017/1/10 16:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Earth
Group:
Registered Users
Just a word of caution on the safety issue. There have been some comments alluding to the idea that the streets are becoming safer. This article from yesterday refutes that:

http://www.njtvonline.org/news/video/ ... increased-8-percent-2016/

The most notable feature in the report is that distracted drivers (all types) have replaced drunk drivers as the leading cause of fatalities.

So don't be lulled into a false sense of security. Whackos are behind those wheels and they're killing people with their carelessness.

Be careful out there.

Posted on: 2017/1/10 13:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

iGreg wrote:
superfluous.

Complete Streets is a transportation policy and design approach that requires streets to be planned, designed, operated, and maintained to enable safe, convenient and comfortable travel and access for users of all ages and abilities regardless of their mode of transportation.

Posted on: 2016/12/15 12:01
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Reducing the number of lanes on Grand is a bad idea, has anyone seen the traffic on those roads now with the existing number of lanes?

Posted on: 2016/12/15 12:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

iGreg wrote:
superfluous.

This lane is different than CCD what Bike JC is proposing is a two-way protected bicycle lane where cars are not allowed, strictly passive. There will be a partition to act as a buffer for the bikers and other passive users to feel safe from moving vehicular traffic.

Posted on: 2016/12/15 11:58
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users

superfluous.

Posted on: 2016/12/15 4:22

Jersey City bike group pushes for Grand Street redesign
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City bike group pushes for Grand Street redesign
Asks City Council for protected bike lanes, ?road diet? for pedestrian & overall safety

JERSEY CITY, Dec. 13 ? Grand Street, a vital but dangerous arterial road, should be the first in the city to be redesigned as a truly Complete Street, the advocacy group Bike JC said today, asking the city government to support their plan.

The nonprofit group?s proposal, dubbed Grand Street Vision, would implement a ?road diet? on the busy street, reducing its four existing lanes to three. This is an increasingly common redesign method proven to greatly improve safety for all road users?especially pedestrians?by calming motor traffic, reducing excessive top speeds and curbing reckless driving. A road diet was recently implemented nearby on Hoboken?s Observer Highway.

In the space saved, the Grand Street plan would install physically separated, protected bike lanes?also increasingly common in New York and large cities, but also already in use in Hoboken, Newark, and other small and midsize cities, with construction underway in Secaucus. The plan also calls for pedestrian-specific improvements such as ?bumpouts,? which give more time and space to those crossing streets.

Bike JC members and supporters are planning to attend the Municipal Council meeting Dec. 14 in numbers, to demonstrate their approval, while several speakers are slated to address the project during the regular public comment portion of the meeting. Bike JC trustees testified Monday at the council?s caucus session; in response, the council agreed in principle to create a committee dedicated to such advanced road redesign projects.

The Grand Street Vision plan would greatly improve connections for cyclists between the many diverse and distinct neighborhoods along Grand Street, from Bergen-Lafayette to Exchange Place, as well as the waterfront bike/walk pathway, and Liberty State Park, long a haven for both recreational and racing cyclists. Exact designs and details of the plan have not been determined; Bike JC is trying to build community and government support for the project as a concept.

Bike JC has been gathering grassroots support for Grand Street Vision proposal since June of 2015, and has collected over a thousand signatures on petitions supporting it, mostly from people living on and around Grand Street.

-30-

Posted on: 2016/12/15 3:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/21 2:00
Group:
Registered Users
What is your suggestion for riders who commute? Give it up?

Quote:

RichMauro wrote:
This is just an observation, but it would appear that bicycle riders take their lives in their hands while being two wheeled in Jersey City street traffic.
I can understand a desire to ride a bike both for utility and recreation, but given the state of mind of a lot of drivers on our roads today, is it really wise to be amongst them? No amount of enforcement can bring you back to life or health from a serious injury at the hands of distracted drivers we're seeing on the roads today
. If it's the joy of bicycle riding that you're pursuing wouldn't Lincoln park or Liberty State Park be a better place to safely enjoy yourself? Given what appears to be the norm for development in Jersey City a lot more cars than bicycles will be in the offing in the near future. I would think that associations seeking more safety measures to be implemented for rider safety look for more amenities to be created where the road needn't be shared with motor vehicles. Drivers simply can't be trusted with bike riders' safety regardless of how many laws are engaged and created in the effort.

Posted on: 2016/12/1 22:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

RichMauro wrote:
I revisited this thread out of curiosity just to see what was added.
Now I understand how posters get the "home away from home" designation.
Sheesh -- everyone's going in circles.

Where's the "get on your bikes and ride" person??

I'm still here

He means Heights

Posted on: 2016/12/1 15:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RichMauro wrote:

Where's the "get on your bikes and ride" person??

I'm still here

Quote:
Again, find a safer place to ride for enjoyment of your bike.

As I asked in a previous post: How are we supposed to get there? Helicopter?

Quote:
Realize that the driving public is getting more and more dangerous to all of the populace.

Actually, that is incorrect.

The number of motor vehicle deaths in the US has been falling since around 1970, mostly thanks to crackdowns on DUI/DWI.

On the local level, as OneSkirt points out, we don't have the data. We don't really know if traffic safety is getting better or worse in JC.

What we do know from other research is that getting more bikes on the road leads to safer outcomes; and that small nudges can calm traffic, which also helps improve safety.

Posted on: 2016/12/1 15:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Why not read the article Dan linked to? It might dispel some of your baseless notions. In that article, you would find that in the rest of the world the driving public is not "getting more and more dangerous to all of the populace." So what is being done in other countries to make that the case?

And I'll happily live with whatever might come from increased traffic enforcement. If you are following the rules (or, around here, in the same zip code as the rules) you have nothing to fear.

Quote:

RichMauro wrote:

Where's the "get on your bikes and ride" person??--seems like they'd be a natural for this topic.

Again, find a safer place to ride for enjoyment of your bike. Realize that the driving public is getting more and more dangerous to all of the populace. Those of you shouting for ticketing, enforcement etc., be careful--you may get what you wish for on both sides of the coin. Municipalities love nothing more than revenue streams from laws that once on the books are hard to eradicate.

Remember the traffic cameras??

Posted on: 2016/12/1 14:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Earth
Group:
Registered Users

Where's the "get on your bikes and ride" person??--seems like they'd be a natural for this topic.

Again, find a safer place to ride for enjoyment of your bike. Realize that the driving public is getting more and more dangerous to all of the populace. Those of you shouting for ticketing, enforcement etc., be careful--you may get what you wish for on both sides of the coin. Municipalities love nothing more than revenue streams from laws that once on the books are hard to eradicate.

Remember the traffic cameras??

Posted on: 2016/12/1 13:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
this article says it all -

http://www.vox.com/the-big-idea/2016/ ... ncrease-safety-traffic-us

Why America?s roads are so much more dangerous than Europe's

A jump in traffic fatalities over the past two years has brought well-deserved media attention to this tragic aspect of American life. Such deaths are up 7 percent in 2015, and 10 percent for the first six months of 2016 ? a phenomenon news outlets are describing as ?surprising,? ?sudden,? and ?unexpected,? an unpleasant departure from the historic trend toward greater safety. We are on track to kill 38,000 vehicle occupants, motorcyclists, bicyclists, and pedestrians in 2016.
The Big Idea logo This piece is part of The Big Idea, a section for outside contributors' opinions about, and analysis of, the most important issues in politics, science, and culture.

The White House has issued a call to action, asking researchers to scrutinize the data on all road deaths. Officials there appealed to the public as well for ideas about combating distracted, drunken, and other dangerous driving.

Attention to traffic death is long overdue, but to focus on the recent increase means missing a much bigger point.

Even before that spike upward, per capital traffic fatalities in the US were already the highest in the industrialized world. No other developed country tolerates the level of carnage on their roads that we do. This national failure has been overlooked for far too long. Studying short-term variations in our safety record is important, but it can also distract us from investigating the forces contributing to our horrendous safety record compared to our peers.

The Dutch also developed the concept of ?self-explaining? roads, especially for rural areas. These have design features that are consistent with the speed appropriate for the location: Curves, medians, bike lanes, and roundabouts nudge the driver toward a given speed.

In the US, in contrast, standard engineering practice calls for wide, straight streets in almost all situations. This approach prompts inappropriate speeds that we then try to correct after the fact with speed bumps, police speed traps, and a bunch of remedies that would not be needed if streets were designed appropriately in the first place.

I for one, believe that jersey city has been dragging its feet.

Posted on: 2016/12/1 2:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
So if I've got this straight, the JC CompStat system logs all the other police-citizen interactions, but not accident reports? That seems improbable. Makes one wonder about the quality of the data they do claim to have.

Presumably you've tried to access the summons data directly from the state. Didn't work?

Not improbable, but more like disgraceful. COMPSTAT doesn't track traffic incidents. See for yourself here the categories it tracks - all violent crime and large theft only. No one is working with the individual Accident Reports to log them, record trends, to amass data/stats, etc.

Haven't had the time/resources to chase this at the state level, and pretty sad that we'd have to. That alone speaks volumes about the very poor work JCPD is doing with data management here locally.

Posted on: 2016/11/29 20:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
So if I've got this straight, the JC CompStat system logs all the other police-citizen interactions, but not accident reports? That seems improbable. Makes one wonder about the quality of the data they do claim to have.

Presumably you've tried to access the summons data directly from the state. Didn't work?

Posted on: 2016/11/29 19:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
Are you guys even listening? The city/JCPD has no data on traffic incidents (peds, cars, bikes,e tc.), except raw crash reports. I'm all for data. But its not available.

But that's only one data set. We know they MUST have the summons data, that's all computerized now.

No, sadly its not. I wish you guys would listen to what I'm telling you after my years of working on this problem. They do not have summons data easily accessible in any organized fashion, truly. They would have to enter it all manually and currently that's not happening. Platt's office is working on a project to implement a new data reporting system for JCPD, but its a heavy lift and a longer project.

It's been 5 years since I was last tagged by JCPD for a moving violation (rolling stop), but surely that system is computerized like the parking tickets? Elsewhere in this thread or another someone said a judge was easily able to pull up his violations record at a hearing.

Summonses for moving violations are Title 39 offenses - a state statute. And the state gets the revenue. These summonses get logged in the state system (likely what you refer to, and what a judge likely has access to) but JCPD claims they cannot access that system and that any record keeping they are able to do is manual and minimal to non-existent at this point. That's why Platt's office is working to get them a good data entry system, which will take time and training. Just like no one takes the paper handwritten "Accident Reports" and logs them in any computerized system for keeping or trend analyses (also something we've tried to get our hands on), no one takes the tickets and enters them again in a city system.

Parking tickets are municipal offenses and are tracked differently (though pretty poorly, as we've pulled teeth to get that data in cases as well) and the city gets that revenue.

I was not exaggerating or kidding when I said its shocking and ridiculous.

Posted on: 2016/11/29 18:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
Are you guys even listening? The city/JCPD has no data on traffic incidents (peds, cars, bikes,e tc.), except raw crash reports. I'm all for data. But its not available.

But that's only one data set. We know they MUST have the summons data, that's all computerized now.

No, sadly its not. I wish you guys would listen to what I'm telling you after my years of working on this problem. They do not have summons data easily accessible in any organized fashion, truly. They would have to enter it all manually and currently that's not happening. Platt's office is working on a project to implement a new data reporting system for JCPD, but its a heavy lift and a longer project.

It's been 5 years since I was last tagged by JCPD for a moving violation (rolling stop), but surely that system is computerized like the parking tickets? Elsewhere in this thread or another someone said a judge was easily able to pull up his violations record at a hearing.

Posted on: 2016/11/29 17:38

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017