Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
59 user(s) are online (53 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 59

more...

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Car stolen from front of my house on York St.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

thomash844 wrote:
Trying to put the word out that on Sunday night into Monday, my car was broken into (passenger side window smashed) on Bright St., and across the street a vehicle had all 4 tires stolen and it was left up on blocks. If anyone local (Bright St. between Varick and Monmouth) may have outdoor security cameras, could you please let me know? Happened mid-block, same side as PS3 and 4, closer to corner of Monmouth and Bright. Thanks

Unfortunately, the amount of "smash and grab" incidents in DTJC is much higher than most people realize. A short stroll around a few blocks will make that plainly obvious by the amount of broken glass that can be found along curbs. That, and the theft of packages, are probably the most prevalent issues affecting DTJC residents, along with the crazy drivers that insist on blowing past STOP signs.

Posted on: 2017/11/29 20:39

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/28 21:42
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Trying to put the word out that on Sunday night into Monday, my car was broken into (passenger side window smashed) on Bright St., and across the street a vehicle had all 4 tires stolen and it was left up on blocks. If anyone local (Bright St. between Varick and Monmouth) may have outdoor security cameras, could you please let me know? Happened mid-block, same side as PS3 and 4, closer to corner of Monmouth and Bright. Thanks

Posted on: 2017/11/29 19:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/1/4 22:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

yorkster wrote:
So, I was just informed by the insurance company that the car was recovered yesterday. I would have expected at least a courtesy call by JCPD to inform me rather I got attitude when I inquired with them as if it was my fault the car was stolen. Then they proceeded to inform me that my car is being held as evidence because it was involved in a shooting. Seriously...WTF? They proceeded to tell me that Hudson County Prosecutors Office will reach out to me once they are ready to release the vehicle (no time table provided). Not sure if I want the car back now. I have a feeling this is going to be a long process.

As a side note, any one know where I can find information of the shooting incident? I did a quick Google search but did not find anything.

Yorkster - I'm really sorry you're going through this. Do know that you are a victim of a crime, and as such, have certain rights and "benefits" in the state of New Jersey. I encourage you to contact the Victims of Crime Compensation Office:

http://www.nj.gov/oag/njvictims/contact.html

They can help be a squeaky wheel and advocate for you - especially for the prompt return of your property (which is guaranteed to you in the NJ Victims Bill of Rights).

As an aside, there were at least three shootings this week in JC; two had black cars; one identified as an Audi, one an Acura sedan, and the third shooting was a street shooting.

Posted on: 2017/1/4 18:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/1 14:07
From Earth
Group:
Registered Users
Livin'...

Livin' in the citeee...
Stevie Wonder.

Posted on: 2017/1/4 17:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/2 11:06
From Scenic McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mrspigglewiggle wrote:
OP, is this your car? I don't think you want it back in that condition either. :(

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... e.html#incart_river_index

Nope. Acura MDX is the SUV.

Posted on: 2017/1/4 17:35

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/18 19:10
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

yorkster wrote:
So, I was just informed by the insurance company that the car was recovered yesterday. I would have expected at least a courtesy call by JCPD to inform me rather I got attitude when I inquired with them as if it was my fault the car was stolen. Then they proceeded to inform me that my car is being held as evidence because it was involved in a shooting. Seriously...WTF? They proceeded to tell me that Hudson County Prosecutors Office will reach out to me once they are ready to release the vehicle (no time table provided). Not sure if I want the car back now. I have a feeling this is going to be a long process.

As a side note, any one know where I can find information of the shooting incident? I did a quick Google search but did not find anything.

OP, is this your car? I don't think you want it back in that condition either. :(

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... e.html#incart_river_index

Posted on: 2017/1/4 17:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:11
From HamiltonPARK
Group:
Registered Users
It's still Jersey City and now a more affluent Jersey City so things are only going to get worse as far as property crime. Car thefts, break ins and home burglaries were commonplace there and will continue to be. Residents who seem to have no clue as to their surroundings doesn't help.

Posted on: 2017/1/4 16:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/26 19:42
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
I can also say is that as long as people are reporting property crimes, they go into COMPSTAT, which AFAIK shows no indication of a major increase in property crimes.

Do you have a link for COMPSTAT property crime figures? The COMPSTAT link on the JCPD website only shows serious crimes. Or, did I miss something?

Here's a typical monthly COMPSTAT report. It includes robberies, broken down by method (armed, unarmed); aggravated assault, including unarmed; burglary, forced and unforced entries; and motor vehicle theft, including attempts.

http://www.njjcpd.org/sites/default/files/Sept2016.pdf

I don't know which category includes breaking into a car to steal a GPS or stereo. I think that qualifies as "burglary." Unsuccessful attempts might not be included in COMPSTAT.

Thanks. That's one of the same reports I was perusing earlier. It is not at all clear (to me, at least) how property crimes fit into any of those categories (let's say, for example, graffiti, or a broken window as part of a malicious act, such as a bottle flung into someone's home) so I wasn't sure if those were tallied elsewhere. It is an interesting stat for which I would like to see hard numbers. Surely it is tallied somewhere, as other sites seem to publish figures for that, such as the city-data site.

The crimes you are asking for do not fall under the statistics normally released to the public. Some property crimes do, like if someone stole from your property (larceny), set your trash cans on fire (arson), or committed a burglary etc.

The crimes you mention fall low on most people's list of crimes they would like to keep track of. You would probably have to request that information yourself to determine if the numbers are up or down. But it would be interesting to know what you find, especially if you could find a link between a catagory of crime being recatagorized to juke the stats. For example an abnormal rise in simple assaults that begin to occur when aggravated assaults start to decline over the years.

I will say though crime obviously got much better over the years Downtown because 10 years ago their were alot more threads warning of car thefts, car burglaries, home break ins and muggings in Downtown. Now it seems much less common to hear of any of that. 20 years ago Downtown lead the city in cartheft now the East Precicnt has the least reports in the whole city. Cartheft in general is at historic lows in the entire city. In the early 90s 5000 plus vehicles would get stolen a year. This year that number might only be 500 plus but may even be less when the rest of the stats are released (between January 1st to September 30th of 2016 only 390 cars were stolen).

Posted on: 2017/1/3 23:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

yorkster wrote:
So, I was just informed by the insurance company that the car was recovered yesterday. I would have expected at least a courtesy call by JCPD to inform me rather I got attitude when I inquired with them as if it was my fault the car was stolen.

Back in the early '90s, my Oldsmobile got stolen and abandoned in Newark. Newark PD treated me like I was the criminal. The people I had to interact with at city hall were downright vicious. The car wasn't in driving condition (battery had been ripped out), so it was a hellish trip to Newark city hall to make arrangements to have a tow truck pick it up.

Then it was another trip to hell as Newark for a couple months kept sending me threatening mail (court, fees, fines) for "failing to retrieve my vehicle", even though it had been picked up within days of it being recovered.

It was a really unpleasant experience for my 20 something flat-broke ass to go through.

I had to go though the same experience in the late nineties with my elderly Honda Accord. It was stolen in West Orange and taken for a joy ride, there was a police chase, the beige interior was marked up with black magic marker every storage bin in the car had been ransacked. The Newark court system and police dept is something I never want to experience again.

Posted on: 2017/1/3 21:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
I can also say is that as long as people are reporting property crimes, they go into COMPSTAT, which AFAIK shows no indication of a major increase in property crimes.

Do you have a link for COMPSTAT property crime figures? The COMPSTAT link on the JCPD website only shows serious crimes. Or, did I miss something?

Here's a typical monthly COMPSTAT report. It includes robberies, broken down by method (armed, unarmed); aggravated assault, including unarmed; burglary, forced and unforced entries; and motor vehicle theft, including attempts.

I don't know which category includes breaking into a car to steal a GPS or stereo. I think that qualifies as "burglary." Unsuccessful attempts might not be included in COMPSTAT.

Thanks. That's one of the same reports I was perusing earlier. It is not at all clear (to me, at least) how property crimes fit into any of those categories (let's say, for example, graffiti, or a broken window as part of a malicious act, such as a bottle flung into someone's home) so I wasn't sure if those were tallied elsewhere. It is an interesting stat for which I would like to see hard numbers. Surely it is tallied somewhere, as other sites seem to publish figures for that, such as the city-data site.

I'm afraid that's beyond my knowledge. I believe COMPSTAT's categories is limited by the software, as NYC uses the same ones.

FWIW, I haven't seen any evidence of rising vandalism in DTJC.

Posted on: 2017/1/3 21:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

yorkster wrote:

I'd start with http://www.nj.com/hudson/

If they tell you what city it's in, maybe the police blotter will say something.

If it were me, I think I'd rather not know.

I'd check with the insurance company, and see what's involved in getting them to classify it as a total loss. Hopefully they'll work with you on it.

Posted on: 2017/1/3 21:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

yorkster wrote:
So, I was just informed by the insurance company that the car was recovered yesterday. I would have expected at least a courtesy call by JCPD to inform me rather I got attitude when I inquired with them as if it was my fault the car was stolen.

Back in the early '90s, my Oldsmobile got stolen and abandoned in Newark. Newark PD treated me like I was the criminal. The people I had to interact with at city hall were downright vicious. The car wasn't in driving condition (battery had been ripped out), so it was a hellish trip to Newark city hall to make arrangements to have a tow truck pick it up.

Then it was another trip to hell as Newark for a couple months kept sending me threatening mail (court, fees, fines) for "failing to retrieve my vehicle", even though it had been picked up within days of it being recovered.

It was a really unpleasant experience for my 20 something flat-broke ass to go through.

Posted on: 2017/1/3 19:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/12 14:54
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/1/3 19:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:

Posted on: 2017/1/3 19:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:

Posted on: 2017/1/3 18:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:

Posted on: 2017/1/3 17:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
JadedJC wrote:
Quote:
I'm not going to argue numbers with you. To anybody who has been the victim of a break-in (I was in the past year), stats won't change your personal perception of something you've experienced firsthand.

In other words: "Don't bother me with the facts!"

It makes sense that on a personal level, after being victimized by crime, you won't feel safe.

However, it is completely irrational to say that because you personally were the victim of crime, that "JC is experiencing a crime wave." If anything, you have an obligation to realize that your unfortunate experience is biasing your perceptions.

Quote:
It's made worse by my experience - and that of others - that the JCPD doesn't give a shit and will expend zero effort to investigate property crimes.

I can't say anything about JCPD's conduct, except that I doubt it's changed over the past ~10 years, during which time property crimes have substantially dropped.

Posted on: 2017/1/3 17:08

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/18 3:14
From Hamiliton Park
Group:
Registered Users
We have to remember that we still live in a city. People do tend to have a false sense of security downtown. We had a break-in where the thief not only stole electronics, they also made out with the spare car key and came back the next day to steal the car. :/

Posted on: 2017/1/3 17:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Personally, I think this incident speaks volumes about two things of concern:
- much of DTJC has been lulled into a false sense of security....

Or, crime rates are in fact significantly lower than in the past.

Auto thefts in JC
2002: 2296
2013: 738
2016 through September: 390

Although I concur DTJC is far from crime-free, people feel more safe because... Jersey City IS more safe.

Quote:
- I'm afraid we are witnessing the beginning of an economic downturn based in the recent uptick in petty crime and the increasing number of people showing up at local soup kitchens.

1) Keeping in mind that I haven't pored over the COMPSTAT figures, I don't see any indication that there is a significant increase in crime in JC in 2016.

2) I haven't seen any indication of an impending economic downturn, either national, or regional, or local.

3) There is no correlation between economic downturns, and either petty crime or soup kitchen utilization. They certainly don't act as leading indicators.

See for yourself. Let me know which type of crime, in your opinion, forecast -- or increased because of -- the 2008 recession.
http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime-Jersey-City-New-Jersey.html

We are talking about petty crime and property crimes, but you are quoting COMPSTAT figures, which track serious crimes (robberies, homicides, rapes, thefts, etc). Of course, you ARE right that serious crimes (and, all other types) have decreased in JC, and of course the city is safer now than it was 5 or 10 years ago. If there are stats for petty crimes and other property crimes, I would like to take a look at them. I didn't see anything on that from the JCPD COMPSTAT site. The City Data site has a summary of aggregated property crime stats and that shows a decline up until 2014, but nothing for the past two years (2015 and 2016) so I guess I don't have data to argue for or against, but then again I never claimed to have such data. I was offering an opinion on how things look/feel to me. I live in DTJC and love my neighborhood so, of course, I would love to be proved wrong.

As for your second point, we are (by historical standards and trends) overdue for another recession. Since the Great Depression, we have had 13 such events, and in recent times the time span in between recessions has been 7 to 10 years from one to the next. Many economists are warning of the possibility of such an event.

Lastly, as to your third point, there is no clear trend between crime and economic times. At times, crime has risen with economic downturns, and others, crime has risen when the economy has been booming. In any case, from my experience and recollection from the past two recessions, the number of people getting served at soup kitchens and the attendance at food pantries from those in need were always higher.

ETA: thank you for keeping it civil in your reply. I do enjoy a good debate and back and forth on topics that relate to local issues. If you have more links to share, that would be great. Seriously.

Posted on: 2017/1/3 2:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
I've been in JC 14 years now, and property crime seems to be much worse downtown than I've ever seen it.

It isn't. It's not even close.

Burglaries have dropped in half since 2002. Thefts are down by 25%, auto thefts by about 66%, robberies are less than half their peak in 2005.

Quote:
JCPD has warned of a surge in bicycle thefts this past year.

OK, and...? It's not like bike theft is a new crime.

Quote:
Anecdotally, I'm hearing of more people experiencing burglaries and break-ins.

Anecdotes are completely meaningless when it comes to crime.

They don't give you objective numbers, they don't properly identify trends, and perceptions of crime are way out of whack with the reality.

I'm not going to argue numbers with you. To anybody who has been the victim of a break-in (I was in the past year), stats won't change your personal perception of something you've experienced firsthand. It's made worse by my experience - and that of others - that the JCPD doesn't give a shit and will expend zero effort to investigate property crimes. In some cases, they will even victim-blame ("This is what you get when you move to Jersey City. You won't ever catch me living here" was what one cop told my friend in the VVP area when she reported a smashed window and burglary.)

Posted on: 2017/1/3 1:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Time to be less politically correct and more on guard. If something looks suspicious act on those senses...if they still exist.

Unless I'm reading it wrong, the OP's car got robbed in the middle of the night. Was he or she supposed to be suspicious while sleeping?

Are we supposed to call the police because we see someone with dark skin wandering around the neighborhood?

Should we only call the police if the person smashing the car window has dark skin?

Crime rates have dropped almost every year since at least 2002, if not earlier. Should the reductions in crime generate more fear of crime? You do realize that's kind of backwards, yes?

Quote:
Less rental properties and absentee landlords would assist in this situation as well.

Uh, no. It won't make any difference whatsoever.

Home owners don't stay up until 6AM, sitting on their stoop with a shotgun in their arms, making sure no one steals their car. An occupant is an occupant, a resident is a resident.

I have never seen the tiniest scrap of data that correlates crime rates and home ownership rates. Where do you get ideas like that?

Posted on: 2017/1/3 0:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
I've been in JC 14 years now, and property crime seems to be much worse downtown than I've ever seen it.

It isn't. It's not even close.

Burglaries have dropped in half since 2002. Thefts are down by 25%, auto thefts by about 66%, robberies are less than half their peak in 2005.

Quote:
JCPD has warned of a surge in bicycle thefts this past year.

OK, and...? It's not like bike theft is a new crime.

Quote:
Anecdotally, I'm hearing of more people experiencing burglaries and break-ins.

Anecdotes are completely meaningless when it comes to crime.

They don't give you objective numbers, they don't properly identify trends, and perceptions of crime are way out of whack with the reality.

Posted on: 2017/1/3 0:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Personally, I think this incident speaks volumes about two things of concern:
- much of DTJC has been lulled into a false sense of security....

Or, crime rates are in fact significantly lower than in the past.

Auto thefts in JC
2002: 2296
2013: 738
2016 through September: 390

Although I concur DTJC is far from crime-free, people feel more safe because... Jersey City IS more safe.

Quote:
- I'm afraid we are witnessing the beginning of an economic downturn based in the recent uptick in petty crime and the increasing number of people showing up at local soup kitchens.

1) Keeping in mind that I haven't pored over the COMPSTAT figures, I don't see any indication that there is a significant increase in crime in JC in 2016.

2) I haven't seen any indication of an impending economic downturn, either national, or regional, or local.

3) There is no correlation between economic downturns, and either petty crime or soup kitchen utilization. They certainly don't act as leading indicators.

See for yourself. Let me know which type of crime, in your opinion, forecast -- or increased because of -- the 2008 recession.

Posted on: 2017/1/3 0:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

135jc wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
Time to be less politically correct and more on guard. If something looks suspicious act on those senses...if they still exist. Many towns are pricing people out in order to weed out desperate people. Less rental properties and absentee landlords would assist in this situation as well.

How does a town specifically price someone out?

When property taxes start to get too high, and when they get calls every day from realtors and developers presenting attractive all cash offers they just can't refuse (while not everybody will want to sell, some people ultimately get seduced by a high enough offer, however short-sighted it may be). Or, when there are families from a particular class of people (i.e. middle, lower middle) who don't live there in the first place but their particular income range used to be able to move in and buy or rent in a particular town just can't afford to anymore. Look at New Brunswick for example. It was a place I was considering buying in 12 years ago when it looked like I might be switching jobs; now, I doubt I could afford to buy anything remotely desirable there, despite my higher income and assets.

Posted on: 2017/1/3 0:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/22 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Time to be less politically correct and more on guard. If something looks suspicious act on those senses...if they still exist. Many towns are pricing people out in order to weed out desperate people. Less rental properties and absentee landlords would assist in this situation as well.

How does a town specifically price someone out?

Posted on: 2017/1/2 21:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/22 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
One of the best anti-theft devices is a manual transmission. I read a while back of two car jacking attempts foiled because the thieves couldn't figure out how to drive the car.

Great point!

Posted on: 2017/1/2 21:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Thanks jerseymom and bodhipooh for the input about Tile. I'll admit I don't know much about it and assumed it was something akin to the Find My iPhone app. My parents use it on their key rings because they're at that age where they're misplacing a lot of things, especially keys. With keyless ignition systems now standard on cars, replacing a "lost" key is no longer simple or cheap.

I've been in JC 14 years now, and property crime seems to be much worse downtown than I've ever seen it. I think the influx of affluent people with the latest housing boom has made this a target-rich environment. JCPD has warned of a surge in bicycle thefts this past year. Anecdotally, I'm hearing of more people experiencing burglaries and break-ins. Even if you live in a building with a garage, don't assume your car is safe. A lot of thieves will follow cars into garages and even if they're not stealing a car outright, they are breaking into them looking for valuables.

About Tile, I chimed in for the reasons I mentioned: the product is advertised as something it is not, and lots of people think/believe it works in a way it does not. What you assumed it was is what most people think it is, and they [Tile] do little to dispel that notion.

As for the uptick in crime, I agree with you (it definitely seems like petty crime is on the rise all over DTJC) and I also agree that anecdotally our shared perception seems to be true. Definitely lots of reports lately about stolen bikes and the same with smashed car windows, which seems "verifiable" by the amount of shattered glass often found on sidewalks and curbs. I wonder what the police is doing about it, but I sense a general complacency that doesn't bode well for change or improvements any time soon.

Posted on: 2017/1/2 21:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:

Thank you for that helpful suggestion! Our super recently caught a guy who had snuck into our garage to steal bicycles. The guy lives in Bayonne and his name suggests Italian heritage. Going forward, I will certainly be less PC and assume all Italian men from Bayonne are bicycle thieves.

Posted on: 2017/1/2 16:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/1/2 16:47
Get on your bikes and ride !

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017