Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
88 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 88

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Panhandler Robs Man of $3000 - Jersey Ave toward Hoboken
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/26 19:42
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Quote:
And the alternative explanations don't make a ton of sense. I don't understand the first alternative at all.

(Let me share a story with you, then:)

Honest Joe store owner sends his trusted employee, Honest Harry, to the bank to cash a couple of checks for him. Honest Harry really, really needs the cash and doesn't think Honest Joe will be hurt by losing $3G. Heck, he drives around in a Mercedes and lives in downtown JC. He's rich! And, Honest Harry's a little peeved that his Christmas bonus was so small. With ALL the work he does, he deserves that cash. So Honest Harry makes up a BS story that he was robbed...at a stoplight....by a homeless guy who saw the bank envelope as he leaned in through the passenger-side window to collect the money that Honest Harry generously gave him all in the spirit of Christmas.

At least this guy was kind enough to resign...by email

This is exactly the type of scenario I pictured when I read the story. I get that some people lack street smarts and get taken advantage of but how does it make sense a homeless man with a gun (knife would have been more believable) robs a man at gunpoint during rush hour in a busy intersection and no one sees anything? On top of that after being robbed he decides to drive past a busy gas station and wait until he gets into Hoboken to call police. How does any of this make sense? My money is on the traffic light he claimed to get robbed at is going to be the one by Holland Gardens.

I'm surprised at how many people actually believe his story.

Posted on: 2016/12/16 4:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
This is why I always drive with a handgun on my passenger seat.

Posted on: 2016/12/15 21:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Quote:
And the alternative explanations don't make a ton of sense. I don't understand the first alternative at all.

Honest Joe store owner sends his trusted employee, Honest Harry, to the bank to cash a couple of checks for him. Honest Harry really, really needs the cash and doesn't think Honest Joe will be hurt by losing $3G. Heck, he drives around in a Mercedes and lives in downtown JC. He's rich! And, Honest Harry's a little peeved that his Christmas bonus was so small. With ALL the work he does, he deserves that cash. So Honest Harry makes up a BS story that he was robbed...at a stoplight....by a homeless guy who saw the bank envelope as he leaned in through the passenger-side window to collect the money that Honest Harry generously gave him all in the spirit of Christmas.

Ok this makes more sense. Yes, I agree this could be what happened and could easily see it.

Posted on: 2016/12/15 20:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Posted on: 2016/12/15 19:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
The guy should check at St Lucy's around feeding time.

Posted on: 2016/12/15 19:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
I am sure the police detectives from both cities are asking these questions as part of the investigation. Nothing reported in the paper makes sense... and granted, it could be sloppy reporting of the written police report.

It starts with the report that there is a homeless guy walking around JC with a gun. That would be an automatic red flag for police, no matter who got robbed.

It would not be the first time a fake police report was filed to cover up something legal or illegal. Does not say specifically where this took place... was a drug deal gone bad? Guess we will have to wait for more information.

Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
I call BS on this story... if he took an envelope on the passenger seat at gunpoint ... why didn't he take the guy's wallet too?

Apparently he did not have a cellphone, so he had to drive on to Hoboken after he rolled the passenger window up?

Even homeless guys know to approach the driver's side of the car as they do at 440 and Communipaw.
ditto. if i am driving around with $3,000 in cash, i'm gonna hide it

You will, sure. You can't presume to speak for other people.

Further, what benefit would there be to making this up? Not like cash is insurable so it's not some type of insurance fraud situation.

Funny to see people immediately blame the victim.

Posted on: 2016/12/15 19:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
I call BS on this story... if he took an envelope on the passenger seat at gunpoint ... why didn't he take the guy's wallet too?

Apparently he did not have a cellphone, so he had to drive on to Hoboken after he rolled the passenger window up?

Even homeless guys know to approach the driver's side of the car as they do at 440 and Communipaw.

Further, what benefit would there be to making this up? Not like cash is insurable so it's not some type of insurance fraud situation.

The story just doesn't pass the smell test, that's all. Might not be his money in the first place (and he was compelled to steal it and make up the theft story) - or maybe he gambled it away and had to provide an excuse as to why he doesn't have it anymore. If he's a victim, I feel sorry for him. If he's making it up, well, that's his issue to explain.

It's dangerous to live on the streets. Many of these homeless peoples' biggest threats are each other. Most if not all of them have some form of self defense such as a knife. It's plausible for one to have a gun. Probably some cheap crappy one.

Also plausible for one to use it to rob someone if the opportunity is right there. I agree it's a bit odd to leave that cash sitting on your front seat, but I know someone who had an envelope with $1,000 cash taken out of his car (he also left it on his passenger seat) after he had returned to his car from shopping, went in his car to leave, but decided he'd take the extra effort to put his shopping cart back in the rack. In the minute it took for him to do this (he didn't lock his car), someone had swiped the cash.

No, this person was not me and I think it was a stupid thing to do, but my point is the story seems plausible enough to me.

And the alternative explanations don't make a ton of sense. I don't understand the first alternative at all. The second one, that he could have wasted the money gambling but needed to account for it, is certainly possible, but I would not default to believing it over the story that has been provided.

Posted on: 2016/12/15 19:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:

The story just doesn't pass the smell test, that's all. Might not be his money in the first place (and he was compelled to steal it and make up the theft story) - or maybe he gambled it away and had to provide an excuse as to why he doesn't have it anymore. If he's a victim, I feel sorry for him. If he's making it up, well, that's his issue to explain.

Posted on: 2016/12/15 19:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:

i thought i was being harsh and i know the cash is not insurable but i guess sometimes there should be a penalty for being stupid.

There was, he lost $3,000.

Posted on: 2016/12/15 18:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:

i thought i was being harsh and i know the cash is not insurable but i guess sometimes there should be a penalty for being stupid.

Posted on: 2016/12/15 18:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
That's great.... classic Times Square Grind House film... surprised Tarantino or Rodriquez have not remade this film classic.

Quote:

Voyeur wrote:
I'm sure the denizens of Soho West will not be seeing any of these type of shenanigans on the next promo video for JC's hottest up'n'coming nabe.

Here's a film that might give them a better intro to life living in The Taint...

Resized Image

Posted on: 2016/12/15 18:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:

Posted on: 2016/12/15 18:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:

+1

Posted on: 2016/12/15 18:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/12 17:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I'm sure the denizens of Soho West will not be seeing any of these type of shenanigans on the next promo video for JC's hottest up'n'coming nabe.

Here's a film that might give them a better intro to life living in The Taint...

Resized Image

Posted on: 2016/12/15 18:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:

Posted on: 2016/12/15 18:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/12/15 18:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
This is why I always lock my doors when these vagrants approach cars sitting at a red light. Would never consider giving them a penny.

Posted on: 2016/12/15 17:53

Panhandler Robs Man of $3000 - Jersey Ave toward Hoboken
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
By Caitlin Mota | The Jersey Journal
on December 15, 2016 at 12:00 PM, updated December 15, 2016 at 12:04 PM
JERSEY CITY -- No good deed goes unpunished.

A Hunterdon County man was robbed of $3,000 at gunpoint by a homeless man while sitting in traffic in Downtown Jersey City after he had given the man a few dollars, police said.

The 30-year-old Flemington resident was stuck in traffic on Jersey Avenue heading into Hoboken at about 4:30 p.m. yesterday when a homeless man walked up to his car and asked for money, according to a police report.

More

Posted on: 2016/12/15 17:23

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017