Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
103 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 103

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: No heat in apartment
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mbrad52 wrote:
Along with no water my apartment has no heat. It hasn't turned on at all this season. We became aware of this issue about two weeks ago and notified our landlord. Last night was the first time he came up to the apartment and felt how freezing it was & that no heat was coming out. Heat is working in the other units in the apartment just not ours. He said he would "look into it" but in the meantime it's absolutely freezing in the apartment and I'm afraid the situation isn't going to be resolved before the temperatures really drop at the end of this week. Legally what are my rights here as a tenant? Is there anything I can do? I'm cold!

Did your heat get turned on yesterday? Hope so!

Posted on: 2016/12/14 15:26

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/8/3 20:43
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the information and suggestions (Jerseymom that video was great!)

Strangely, parts of my floor are warm, just not the baseboard heaters. So I might be looking at a conversion that did not include 100% circulation of the hot water, only where the old units used to be.

Two years ago they were not giving off ANY head and the super bled them. I had heat after that, but I've never really had good heat.

The good news is that it has warmed up in the apartment.

Thanks all for the help!

Posted on: 2016/12/13 23:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

suzychapstick wrote:
I know I'm going to sound like an asshat for asking this question, but:

Is your hot water heater also providing the hot water for your baseboard? I have seen this in new installation recently.

These work like a charm in small units, but some plumbers don't realize that you need to install the circulator below the top of the tank or it will dry out in a low water condition. One of my tenants systems was screaming last night when the water got low.

Posted on: 2016/12/13 21:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/10 13:10
From Downtown JC, VVP Area
Group:
Registered Users
Suzy, that's a fair question IMO. Being on the top floor, well, that's where the air typically ends up. If you pull off the end caps off your baseboard radiators you may or may not find "bleed valves". Open it a bit with a proper key (which you probably don't have) or a small pair of pliers and let the air out. When you get water, shut it off tightly. Might help...

Some hot water systems are completely sealed and you can't bleed air from inside your apartment. It would have to be done at the boiler, presumably in the basement. Not a difficult job but not something to mess with if you don't know heating mechanics. Good luck-

Posted on: 2016/12/13 20:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

suzychapstick wrote:

Is your hot water heater also providing the hot water for your baseboard? I have seen this in new installation recently.

Posted on: 2016/12/13 20:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

suzychapstick wrote:

My apartment has baseboard "heat" - but rarely gets all that warm. I'm on the top floor of a poorly insulated walk up with the entire west wall made of exposed brick (that I seriously think is the actual brick you see on the outside).

Anway, all yesterday my hot water heater was struggling and making gurgling noises (low pressure from the work that Suez is doing - I'm in Paulus Hook). Anyway, the temp in the apartment dropped quite a bit overnight.

Here's the stupid question: If there is no water, is that affecting my heating? Is that a constant flow? Or is the water in the pipes just hanging out there getting heated and creating warmth.

I'll take my punishment here before calling my super. Thanks.

I think that's a great question. This might help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTizuz7qvmo

Posted on: 2016/12/13 20:24

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/8/3 20:43
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users

My apartment has baseboard "heat" - but rarely gets all that warm. I'm on the top floor of a poorly insulated walk up with the entire west wall made of exposed brick (that I seriously think is the actual brick you see on the outside).

Anway, all yesterday my hot water heater was struggling and making gurgling noises (low pressure from the work that Suez is doing - I'm in Paulus Hook). Anyway, the temp in the apartment dropped quite a bit overnight.

Here's the stupid question: If there is no water, is that affecting my heating? Is that a constant flow? Or is the water in the pipes just hanging out there getting heated and creating warmth.

I'll take my punishment here before calling my super. Thanks.

Posted on: 2016/12/13 19:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/10 13:10
From Downtown JC, VVP Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
I'd call a reputable heating co like Royal, withhold the cost from your rent and submit the receipt to the landlord. Not all calls to landlords are this dire, but not responding to a heat outage for weeks isn't acceptable, and he should then thank you for handling it. I've had tenants do this with my blessing for things like exterminators or washer repair, and I'm fine with it.

Ditto on this. And Royal Heating & Plumbing is the best in town, period. 201-434-0315

Posted on: 2016/12/13 19:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
I'd call a reputable heating co like Royal, withhold the cost from your rent and submit the receipt to the landlord. Not all calls to landlords are this dire, but not responding to a heat outage for weeks isn't acceptable, and he should then thank you for handling it. I've had tenants do this with my blessing for things like exterminators or washer repair, and I'm fine with it.

Posted on: 2016/12/13 18:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mbrad52 wrote:
Along with no water my apartment has no heat. It hasn't turned on at all this season. We became aware of this issue about two weeks ago and notified our landlord. Last night was the first time he came up to the apartment and felt how freezing it was & that no heat was coming out. Heat is working in the other units in the apartment just not ours. He said he would "look into it" but in the meantime it's absolutely freezing in the apartment and I'm afraid the situation isn't going to be resolved before the temperatures really drop at the end of this week. Legally what are my rights here as a tenant? Is there anything I can do? I'm cold!

Did you speak to the building super or the owner of the building?

Do you have a very low rent? How many units are in the building?

If you need to stay in your apartment and want to avoid a rent increase (if you are subject to that) I suggest you don't take any extreme measures - yet.
You are getting some good advice here but it may not be correct for your particular situation which we know almost nothing about.

Posted on: 2016/12/13 17:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mbrad52 wrote:

Hot water baseboards.

Might just be air bound. If there are bleeder valves on the baseboard, you could fix the issue yourself.

Posted on: 2016/12/13 17:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mbrad52 wrote:
Quote:

MDM wrote:
steam radiators or hot water baseboard?

Hot water baseboards.

Thanks everyone for the help! Hoping it will get straightened out within the next day or two otherwise I'm not sure what's going to happen.

Did you call to complain? Trust me when I tell you your repairs will happen much more quickly if you do. Do not hesitate to make this call!

Posted on: 2016/12/13 17:34

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/15 19:36
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:

Hot water baseboards.

Thanks everyone for the help! Hoping it will get straightened out within the next day or two otherwise I'm not sure what's going to happen.

Posted on: 2016/12/13 17:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
He's had two weeks and done nothing? That would be "game over" for me.

The no water (today) is likely caused by the water main break.

In terms of the no heat situation, that is completely unacceptable. Your landlord has to fix it - not look into it. In terms of your strategy, first, keep a log of your conversations that you've had regarding the issue with your landlord. Email follow up is preferred so you have a record if you need to go to court on this.

Second, call the numbers noted on RPinkowitz's heat rules PDF - that flyer really has all the information you need to know. Don't feel bad about calling - heat is your right, not something your landlord has the right to get to when he/she wants.

Weekday number: 201-547-4825
Weeknight (after 4pm) number: 201-547-4821
Weekend number: 201-547-4821

CALL!

Third, download this document and pay close attention to Chapter 6:

https://www.lsnjlaw.org/Publications/P ... Manuals/TenantsRights.pdf

It's the best primer to learn about your rights as a tenant and the responsibility of your landlord.

Good luck and let us know what happens. Stay warm!

Posted on: 2016/12/13 15:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/12/13 14:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Hopefully, jerseymom will see this post and chime in. She has posted numerous times in the past with very helpful information for tenants that find themselves in situations such as yours.

The short of it is that, as a tenant, you have a lot of legal rights and protections when it comes to temperature and other livability aspects. You may want to do a search in this forum to try and dig up some of the links and info that jerseymom has posted in the past.

BTW, when doing a search, you are likely to get better results by using Google, instead of the built in functionality. To do so, go to Google and type "site:jclist.com xxx yyy" into the search bar, where "xxx" and "yyy" are your search terms/keywords. The "site:jclist.com" part will limit the search to pages within the jclist.com domain. Good luck. Whatever happens, try and get it solved today or early tomorrow, as Thursday we are expecting frigid temperatures as low as 16 degrees. That's downright dangerous without a heat source.

Posted on: 2016/12/13 14:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
FYI,

*this is not from 2016, but the law still applies.

http://www.cityofjerseycity.com/uploa ... 0ordinance%2011.25.13.pdf

Posted on: 2016/12/13 13:24

No heat in apartment

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/15 19:36
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/12/13 13:03

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017