Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
116 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 116

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: Disrespecting "other" religions
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Culture as we know it, art, music, architecture, science, universities, even law came from the Catholic Church. Robert Ballarmine wrote about the dignity of mankind. His writings were found in Thomas Jefferson library. Jefferson actually lifted his writing on the 3 different branches of government. The problem here, people do not know history.

The Ancient Sumerians, Babylonians, Assyrians, Egyptians, Persians, Greeks, Romans and Han Chinese say hi.

Quite brilliant. And thank you.

Posted on: 2016/10/13 20:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Culture as we know it, art, music, architecture, science, universities, even law came from the Catholic Church. Robert Ballarmine wrote about the dignity of mankind. His writings were found in Thomas Jefferson library. Jefferson actually lifted his writing on the 3 different branches of government. The problem here, people do not know history.

The Catholic Church had little intellectual property (or material property for that matter) it didn't steal. The Renaissance by definition was a rediscovery of Roman and Greek art, architecture and rhetoric. The Church persecuted scientists like Galileo for being threats to it's superstitions. The Western Law traditions originated with Greece, Rome and Jewish Law.

http://www.crf-usa.org/bill-of-rights ... foundation-of-western-law
Quote:
The Ten Commandments and many other elements of Hebrew law provided a major source for the development of western legal systems and democracy.

Three thousand years ago, the ancient Hebrew people lived in the Near East in an area called Canaan. This ancient people developed the idea of monotheism, the belief in one god. They believed that their god gave them laws to regulate their society, their religious practices, and their relationships with other people.

Conquered by the neo-Babylonians and later by the Romans, the Hebrews eventually became a scattered people, living in many countries under different legal systems. But they continued to develop their own law and tried to follow it even in foreign lands. Their law was based on the Ten Commandments and other sacred writings, which today we find in the Hebrew Bible. In developing their law, they sometimes borrowed legal concepts from other civilizations as well as passing on their own ideas. The Jewish law that developed influenced Roman law, English law, and our own Declaration of Independence and Constitution.

They also stole the Christmas traditions from the pagans as well.

Posted on: 2016/10/13 19:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

The Ancient Sumerians, Babylonians, Assyrians, Egyptians, Persians, Greeks, Romans and Han Chinese say hi.

Posted on: 2016/10/13 19:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
This must be part of the war on Catholicism...
http://www.nj.com/essex/index.ssf/201 ... tim_thought_men_were.html

It is the atheists fault that they keep raping kids.

Posted on: 2016/10/13 16:24
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Many scientist including Albert Einstein believed in God.
http://www.famousscientists.org/25-fa ... ists-who-believed-in-god/

Posted on: 2016/10/13 13:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Posted on: 2016/10/13 5:00
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

The Catholic Church had little intellectual property (or material property for that matter) it didn't steal. The Renaissance by definition was a rediscovery of Roman and Greek art, architecture and rhetoric. The Church persecuted scientists like Galileo for being threats to it's superstitions. The Western Law traditions originated with Greece, Rome and Jewish Law.

http://www.crf-usa.org/bill-of-rights ... foundation-of-western-law
Quote:
The Ten Commandments and many other elements of Hebrew law provided a major source for the development of western legal systems and democracy.

Three thousand years ago, the ancient Hebrew people lived in the Near East in an area called Canaan. This ancient people developed the idea of monotheism, the belief in one god. They believed that their god gave them laws to regulate their society, their religious practices, and their relationships with other people.

Conquered by the neo-Babylonians and later by the Romans, the Hebrews eventually became a scattered people, living in many countries under different legal systems. But they continued to develop their own law and tried to follow it even in foreign lands. Their law was based on the Ten Commandments and other sacred writings, which today we find in the Hebrew Bible. In developing their law, they sometimes borrowed legal concepts from other civilizations as well as passing on their own ideas. The Jewish law that developed influenced Roman law, English law, and our own Declaration of Independence and Constitution.

Posted on: 2016/10/13 3:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Someone who calls himself "fat-ass-bike" is mocking religion. Unbelievable!

Posted on: 2016/10/13 2:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Posted on: 2016/10/13 1:58
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
You're an idiot that thinks her stupid biases stand in for knowledge.

Posted on: 2016/10/13 1:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/10/12 23:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/16 16:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
To the so-called atheist and agnostics on this board, you owe your understanding of life through the work of the Catholic Church. They built the first schools for the masses and created the hospital system we have today. The culture as we know it is based on Western Civilization which was formed and shaped by the Catholic Church. A source for this is Thomas E Woods's book. https://www.amazon.com/Catholic-Church ... ivilization/dp/1596983280

Yvonne,

I owe absolutely nothing to the Catholic Church... not a damn thing. I have no problems with spiritual Christians and Catholics. There are many I love and adore, and consider good friends. But I owe not a damn thing to the Church, or most religious organizations, which makes practice of taking from all it's members and giving very little back, unless it sees a profit.

Posted on: 2016/10/12 22:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Was education available for the masses during the Greek and early Roman period? Was healthcare available for the masses? The answer is no. The Kings and Queens of Europe collected money to build up their armies. It was the Catholic Church is Europe that build schools, universities, hospitals, brought about the study of science, had discussions on the dignity of man, and stopped the practice of fathers selling their daughters in marriage. The list can go on but I suggest you read the book.

I can only assume you had a Catholic School education.

Posted on: 2016/10/12 22:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Was education available for the masses during the Greek and early Roman period? Was healthcare available for the masses? The answer is no. The Kings and Queens of Europe collected money to build up their armies. It was the Catholic Church is Europe that build schools, universities, hospitals, brought about the study of science, had discussions on the dignity of man, and stopped the practice of fathers selling their daughters in marriage. The list can go on but I suggest you read the book.

The Catholic Church did not ever push for universal education. They also had the Latin mass to make the masses dependent on the priest for intercession with God. Protestants were the first to push for wider education.

Ancient Greece had wider access to education than any Catholic country achieved before the 19th century. Children were schooled from the age of 7, with even the poor getting an elementary education.

Try actual history next time.

Posted on: 2016/10/12 22:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
The Catholic faith is most certainly under attack from the Left.

The recent email leaks confirmed it. Hillary Clinton and her campaign manager worked with George Soros to create a revolution within the Catholic Church.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Darren32895836/status/786310156044742656

Posted on: 2016/10/12 21:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/10/12 18:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
I'd have more sympathy for the protection of Christmas if it wasn't ripped off from the pagans in the first place.

I thought thou shalt not steal?

No one asked you for sympathy. People are stating a fact the religion especially Christianity is being attacked. Every year the atheist group put up a billboard attacking the birth of Jesus. Do they do that with Islam or the Jewish faith? No, I have never seen the attack on billboards by Christians calling out atheists for their lack of belief. There are billboards promoting faith but not attacking nonbelievers. Everyone has a right to believe or not believe without being attacked. It makes you wonder why are atheists are afraid of Christians, perhaps they are afraid of the truth.

A fact means there is a substantiated basis. Stating that ?Christianity is being attacked? isn?t a fact. It is, however, stupid.

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
To the so-called atheist and agnostics on this board, you owe your understanding of life through the work of the Catholic Church. They built the first schools for the masses and created the hospital system we have today. The culture as we know it is based on Western Civilization which was formed and shaped by the Catholic Church. A source for this is Thomas E Woods's book. https://www.amazon.com/Catholic-Church ... ivilization/dp/1596983280

Yup, more stupidity.

As if schools, education and thought process didn?t exist prior to Catholicism. Plato and Aristotle can recognize a dunce?

Posted on: 2016/10/12 18:31
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
The Romans and Greeks would disagree and think you're uneducated.

Posted on: 2016/10/12 18:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/10/12 16:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
That is still trolling.

Not really.

Posted on: 2016/10/12 16:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bill wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
So you're trolling?

I hope not. The last thing I want to do is upset someone. I merely am responding to the gibberish coming out of someone's mouth with the same.

That is still trolling.

Posted on: 2016/10/12 16:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
So you're trolling?

I hope not. The last thing I want to do is upset someone. I merely am responding to the gibberish coming out of someone's mouth with the same.

Posted on: 2016/10/12 15:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bill wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Oh, you were being serious?

Not really, but trying to see where we can go, haha

So you're trolling?

Posted on: 2016/10/12 15:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:

Not really, but trying to see where we can go, haha

Posted on: 2016/10/12 15:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bill wrote:
Quote:

mscottc wrote:
Pew research poll, one of the most respected polling organizations around has asked over the last few years, "Which one group of people are least likely to vote for President." This shows the one group that Americans are most bigoted towards. Do you know what that one group is? Atheists. so don't tell me that Atheists don't have anything to fear.

Americans dislike atheists because they are immoral and unAmerican.

Posted on: 2016/10/12 15:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mscottc wrote:

And you sir, are the perfect example of what I'm talking about. Just remember one thing, my morality is based on what is in my heart and mind, not based on fear of god and going to hell like your morality. And unlike people like you, I put country, this country, ahead of any church or religion.

Wow, you seriously need to get your facts straight. I'm not sure what religions you might know, but mine isn't based off a fear of God. The main reason people don't like your ilk, is that your morality as you admit is individualized. How is anyone to know what depraved thoughts you may have AND rationalize.

Basic morals of Hindus include karma and dharma (google if unfamiliar)

Buddhists basically abstain from harming living beings, stealing, sexual misconduct, lying and intoxication.

Christians/Jews/Muslims - Some variation of the 10 commandments plus others.

A common theme among all these peoples is behavior that may make society a better place to be in. People like you, we are not so sure of...

Posted on: 2016/10/12 15:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/18 4:28
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

mscottc wrote:
Quote:

bill wrote:
Quote:

mscottc wrote:
Pew research poll, one of the most respected polling organizations around has asked over the last few years, "Which one group of people are least likely to vote for President." This shows the one group that Americans are most bigoted towards. Do you know what that one group is? Atheists. so don't tell me that Atheists don't have anything to fear.

And you sir, are the perfect example of what I'm talking about. Just remember one thing, my morality is based on what is in my heart and mind, not based on fear of god and going to hell like your morality. And unlike people like you, I put country, this country, ahead of any church or religion.

You do have a religion, "progressiveism," which is an ideology that demands blind faith, strict adherence to dogma, and punishes Sinners just like any other religion.

Only difference is the State is your higher power.

Is "progressiveism" even a word?

I know "Progressivism" but it has a very different definition:
Progressivism is a philosophy based on the idea of progress, which asserts that advancement in science, technology, economic development, and social organization are vital to improve the human condition.

Posted on: 2016/10/12 15:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mscottc wrote:
Quote:

bill wrote:
Quote:

mscottc wrote:

You do have a religion, "progressiveism," which is an ideology that demands blind faith, strict adherence to dogma, and punishes Sinners just like any other religion.

Only difference is the State is your higher power.

Posted on: 2016/10/12 14:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/16 16:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bill wrote:
Quote:

mscottc wrote:

Posted on: 2016/10/12 14:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mscottc wrote:

Posted on: 2016/10/12 13:18

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017