Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
95 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 95

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Couple seeks $18M from Jersey City in lawsuit over historic district guidelines
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/5 15:03
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

penumbra wrote:
I personally don't understand the hatred of vinyl. It isn't as pretty as other options. But, for a long lasting, easy to install, inexpensive product, vinyl's hard to beat.

Compared to the old asphalt shingle or fake stone block around town, I'll take vinyl any day.

Precisely. I've seen some decent jobs, particularly the one that use contrasting trim like white.

Bayonne has some Outstanding Vinyl Siding Installations with Contrasting Trim & Fypon type Architectural details!!!

Posted on: 2017/8/4 1:26

Re: Couple seeks $18M from Jersey City in lawsuit over historic district guidelines
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

penumbra wrote:
I personally don't understand the hatred of vinyl. It isn't as pretty as other options. But, for a long lasting, easy to install, inexpensive product, vinyl's hard to beat.

Compared to the old asphalt shingle or fake stone block around town, I'll take vinyl any day.

Precisely. I've seen some decent jobs, particularly the one that use contrasting trim like white.

Posted on: 2017/8/2 16:25

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/3 15:29
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:

What would you use if it was the alley sides seen by no one but the next door neighbors? Is vinyl just ugly or does it have a functional flaw too? Siding is on my to-do list.

Posted on: 2017/8/2 15:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Dinger wrote:
Hardi is the cat's meow. Get the hardi without the fake cedar grain pattern and you can't tell the difference between painted cedar.

But is the price difference worth it if it's on a 3' alley that doesn't even open on the street? I can't imagine the fireproofness would matter in a 100 year old timber stud and sheath house. All that would be left is a pile of Hardiplank!

Biggest selling point of Hardi + Azek is that it is maintenance free & termites don't feed on it. [those annual exterminator fees do add up]
In the end, it's really up to the individual's preferences & wallet.
BUT it does not provide Insulation that the plaintiff in this case desperately needed, which is why he contracted for 60K worth of this specialty vinyl product that emulated historic wood types.

Posted on: 2017/8/2 14:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Dinger wrote:
Lots of cement board products. I just happen to like Hardi on wood frame row houses -- I generally use smooth lap siding 6.25? (5? exposure), with 4/4 and 5/4 trim pieces. Case the windows with 3.5" side casing and 5.5" head casing, and it'll look fantastic. My sub charges about 6k-7k for a 20' wood frame row house, front and rear only.

I'm looking at about 77', so more like double that. And that's leaving the vinyl on the front and back untouched! That would be another 35'.

Posted on: 2017/8/2 0:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Wow.. I thought I was the only guy who used Viroc. Allied Building Supply told me I was the only guy buying it from them.

I have to dig out a receipt from when I bought it last to figure out what it cost is.
Downsides of Viroc:

It's Heavy
It isn't cheap (but not terrible expensive either).
its resistance to shear stress isn't the greatest

Posted on: 2017/8/1 23:22

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/5 1:44
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Lots of cement board products. I just happen to like Hardi on wood frame row houses -- I generally use smooth lap siding 6.25? (5? exposure), with 4/4 and 5/4 trim pieces. Case the windows with 3.5" side casing and 5.5" head casing, and it'll look fantastic. My sub charges about 6k-7k for a 20' wood frame row house, front and rear only.

Posted on: 2017/8/1 22:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Dinger wrote:
Hardi is the cat's meow. Get the hardi without the fake cedar grain pattern and you can't tell the difference between painted cedar.

But is the price difference worth it if it's on a 3' alley that doesn't even open on the street? I can't imagine the fireproofness would matter in a 100 year old timber stud and sheath house. All that would be left is a pile of Hardiplank!

Posted on: 2017/8/1 22:40

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/5 1:44
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/8/1 21:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

light12v wrote:
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:

What would you use if it was the alley sides seen by no one but the next door neighbors? Is vinyl just ugly or does it have a functional flaw too? Siding is on my to-do list.

I have been using this material called Viroc more and more. At first I used it to rebuild the frames around windows that rotted out due to exposure to horizontal rain (the building gets blasted during Nor'Easters).

I then started using it as siding. The manufacturer intended it to be used as commercial paneling that is mechanically fasted to the building. I found out (at least for me) it works pretty well bolted on to the building, but with a moisture barrier / weep path underneath.

I like the stuff because unlike vinyl, Viroc is damn near fireproof. This was kind of important after a tenant accidentally set one of my buildings on fire via a dropped cigarette (small fire.... fire department did more damage putting it out then the fire itself). I used a water based colored sealer, which last years. Unfortunately, the company that made the sealer went out of business.

http://virocny.com/

I have used Viroc 4 exterior & interior projects. It's great material & has similar characteristics to Hardiplank [which is no surprise since they are both cement based.]

I am a huge fan of Hardiplank. 15 years after building a house in Texas, and the Hardiplank still looks as good as new, even after the ubiquitous intense summer sun of South Texas, and the many variations in weather and precipitation. It has withstood several hail storms, as well as torrential rains, and other weather phenomena, and it hasn't need any work or repainting.

ME TOO. I used it on the rear of my 137 year old house here in 2007 & added more to the side this past year & no one can tell the difference from 10 year old install & the 10 day old one.

Viroc is the same composition in panels with a poured concrete look.
It is GREAT for use in finishing basement walls , as it gives a very 21st century look to the surroundings & is super easy to maintain.

Posted on: 2017/8/1 21:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Thanks, Viroc sounds interesting. What's the cost difference and will local contractors install it? I've found they're slow to adopt new materials like Kerdi shower membranes.

Posted on: 2017/8/1 16:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

light12v wrote:
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:

I have been using this material called Viroc more and more. At first I used it to rebuild the frames around windows that rotted out due to exposure to horizontal rain (the building gets blasted during Nor'Easters).

I then started using it as siding. The manufacturer intended it to be used as commercial paneling that is mechanically fasted to the building. I found out (at least for me) it works pretty well bolted on to the building, but with a moisture barrier / weep path underneath.

I like the stuff because unlike vinyl, Viroc is damn near fireproof. This was kind of important after a tenant accidentally set one of my buildings on fire via a dropped cigarette (small fire.... fire department did more damage putting it out then the fire itself). I used a water based colored sealer, which last years. Unfortunately, the company that made the sealer went out of business.

I have used Viroc 4 exterior & interior projects. It's great material & has similar characteristics to Hardiplank [which is no surprise since they are both cement based.]

I am a huge fan of Hardiplank. 15 years after building a house in Texas, and the Hardiplank still looks as good as new, even after the ubiquitous intense summer sun of South Texas, and the many variations in weather and precipitation. It has withstood several hail storms, as well as torrential rains, and other weather phenomena, and it hasn't need any work or repainting.

Posted on: 2017/8/1 15:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:

Posted on: 2017/8/1 14:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:

Posted on: 2017/8/1 11:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

$17M lawsuit over Jersey City historic district to proceed

JERSEY CITY -- A federal judge has ruled that a $17 million lawsuit filed by a Bentley Avenue couple over the city's new historic district on the West Side can proceed.

The couple argued in their six-count federal lawsuit that the city violated their constitutional rights to equal protection, free speech and unreasonable seizure, allegations related to the city halting construction on their home two years ago. In a 39-page opinion issued on June 27, U.S. District Judge Kevin McNulty allowed those claims to proceed after the city asked him to toss the suit entirely.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... ric_district_to_proc.html

Posted on: 2017/8/1 3:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MDM wrote:
I would be pissed if I was forced to use wood. I have a house with wood siding and it is a maintenance headache. The fiber cement siding though looks really good and is durable. It even comes pre-painted.

The attraction of vinyl is its cheap and easy to install. The first place I owned in JC I used vinyl to cover up the deep puke green asphalt shingled siding. For a few grand$, it was a vast improvement.. but it was still vinyl. Looking back, I wish I did something better, but I didn't have the knowledge or the budget back then.

Posted on: 2017/7/31 20:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
$17M lawsuit over Jersey City historic district to proceed

Updated on July 31, 2017 at 3:13 PM, Posted on July 31, 2017 at 2:00 PM

By Terrence T. McDonald,
tmcdonald@jjournal.com

The Jersey Journal

JERSEY CITY -- A federal judge has ruled that a $17 million lawsuit filed by a Bentley Avenue couple over the city's new historic district on the West Side can proceed...

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... c.html#incart_river_index

And they used the FINEST quality vinyl siding!

Posted on: 2017/7/31 20:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
If the couple received city approval prior to the renovation, why won't the city honor the committment? Why would the city insist on a new approval when one has already been provided?

Posted on: 2016/10/7 15:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I would be pissed if I was forced to use wood. I have a house with wood siding and it is a maintenance headache. The fiber cement siding though looks really good and is durable. It even comes pre-painted.

The attraction of vinyl is its cheap and easy to install. The first place I owned in JC I used vinyl to cover up the deep puke green asphalt shingled siding. For a few grand$, it was a vast improvement.. but it was still vinyl. Looking back, I wish I did something better, but I didn't have the knowledge or the budget back then.

Posted on: 2016/10/7 12:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Couldn't this guy just changed the siding material to something besides vinyl? Like Hardiplank?

Of course he could have. Instead, he chose to just put tarps up and blame the city for the issue. I can't imagine that the damage he allowed to happen to his home along with hiring a lawyer, etc, is worth the cost difference between wood and vinyl.

And, seriously, who goes through all this effort to put install ugly vinyl siding!?!

Posted on: 2016/10/7 11:09
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Couldn't this guy just changed the siding material to something besides vinyl? Like Hardiplank?

Posted on: 2016/10/6 23:18

Couple seeks $18M from Jersey City in lawsuit over historic district guidelines
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
From JJ

JERSEY CITY ? A Bentley Avenue couple is seeking as much as $18 million from Jersey City, alleging in a six-count lawsuit that the city violated their constitutional rights when it ordered them to stop construction on their home in a newly designated historic district.

Carlos Fernandes and Jean Niemiller allege the city violated the first and 14th amendments of the U.S. Constitution, accuse Mayor Steve Fulop of defaming them and say the city construction office and Historic Preservation Commission are guilty of negligence. One of the counts stems from a Feb. 3 incident where Fulop's security detail dragged Fernandes out of a town hall meeting.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... rsey_city_in_lawsuit.html

Posted on: 2016/10/6 21:53

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017