Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
111 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 111

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Re: Fulop won't run for governor, will back Murphy, sources say
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Now this is just weird.

Posted on: 2016/10/7 22:01
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stateaidguy wrote:
I'm very dismayed by Sweeney's quitting because I don't think highly of Phil Murphy.

Murphy ran a campaign of going everywhere, spending a fortune, but only talking about issues that every single Democrat agrees on, like gun control and pay equity, and avoiding anything that divided the Democratic party.

To me, avoiding the tough decisions on what taxes to raise, what spending to cut, how to educate urban kids, and how to redistribute state aid isn't leadership.

As Bury Pensions says, on complex problems like the NJ economy, the pension crisis, Murphy's strategy is:

Present an idea that sounds good to anyone who won?t think about it in any depth to people who are not going to think about it in any depth.

Murphy is incoherent.

He wants to save the pension funds, but he also wants the funds to invest in a state-owned bank whose mission is to make low-interest, NJ-exclusive loans.

He wants to revive our cities and sees cities as central to our economic revival, but he opposes the tax incentives which encourage businesses to relocate in cities (and sometimes keep the businesses in NJ)

He wants the "rating agencies off our back," but he proposes billions in new (non-pension) spending.

He wants to drop the PARCC exam and replace it with ..... another computerized exam that kids will take more frequently throughout the year.

He says GE's relocation from CT to Massachusetts proves that taxes don't determine business location decisions, when Massachusetts is actually an AVERAGE TAX state to begin with with taxes that are much lower than CT's (or NJ's) and Massachusetts offered $180 million in tax incentives.

I don't know anything about Phil Murphy, but I think today's news signals that the NJ Democrats have decided the coming primaries will merely be his coronation.

Posted on: 2016/10/7 0:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stateaidguy wrote:

He wants to save the pension funds, but he also wants the funds to invest in a state-owned bank whose mission is to make low-interest, NJ-exclusive loans.

The state pensions are so far into the hole that it would take divine intervention to save them. With the Fed keeping interest rates near zero, pension funds (not just NJ) have been forced into riskier and riskier investments to get yield.

Here is an example of how screwed up pension finance is getting

If we get a major down market (S&P drops 30%+ from 2016 highs), I expect pension funds to start going insolvent rather quickly.

Murphy may not have a pension fund issue to deal with, because the funds will already be gone.

Posted on: 2016/10/6 20:42

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/15 18:48
From One of the Oranges
Group:
Registered Users
I'm very dismayed by Sweeney's quitting because I don't think highly of Phil Murphy.

Murphy ran a campaign of going everywhere, spending a fortune, but only talking about issues that every single Democrat agrees on, like gun control and pay equity, and avoiding anything that divided the Democratic party.

To me, avoiding the tough decisions on what taxes to raise, what spending to cut, how to educate urban kids, and how to redistribute state aid isn't leadership.

As Bury Pensions says, on complex problems like the NJ economy, the pension crisis, Murphy's strategy is:

Present an idea that sounds good to anyone who won?t think about it in any depth to people who are not going to think about it in any depth.

Murphy is incoherent.

He wants to revive our cities and sees cities as central to our economic revival, but he opposes the tax incentives which encourage businesses to relocate in cities (and sometimes keep the businesses in NJ)

He wants the "rating agencies off our back," but he proposes billions in new (non-pension) spending.

He wants to drop the PARCC exam and replace it with ..... another computerized exam that kids will take more frequently throughout the year.

He says GE's relocation from CT to Massachusetts proves that taxes don't determine business location decisions, when Massachusetts is actually an AVERAGE TAX state to begin with with taxes that are much lower than CT's (or NJ's) and Massachusetts offered $180 million in tax incentives.

Posted on: 2016/10/6 19:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
There is an event with Chelsea Clinton coming up. Though that is a bigger ticket item than the Zeppelin Hall $20 fundraisers.

By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on October 06, 2016 at 7:55 AM

Chelsea Clinton is headed to Jersey City next week to raise some cash for her mother's presidential bid.

Clinton will be the featured guest at an Oct. 15 fundraiser hosted by Mayor Steve Fulop. The event is part of former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton's "for45" campaign, an effort to target younger voters and small donors (Hillary Clinton is seeking to become the 45th president of the United States).

The tickets range from $45 to $2,500.

More

Posted on: 2016/10/6 17:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Wow,

I expected Fulop to run, but I wasn't shocked when he announced he would not. But Sweeney's decision not to run is a complete surprise to me.

Posted on: 2016/10/6 14:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
(does that mean there is also dirt on him??? lol)

Sweeney says he won't run for N.J. governor

By Brent Johnson | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
on October 06, 2016 at 9:39 AM, updated October 06, 2016 at 10:15 AM

TRENTON ? In another surprise move in the upcoming New Jersey governor's race, state Senate President Stephen Sweeney announced Thursday he won't run next year to succeed Gov. Chris Christie.

Sweeney (D-Gloucester), the top lawmaker in the state Legislature, announced he's not entering the race for the Democratic nomination because of the recent wave of support Phil Murphy has received.

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/ ... rnor.html#incart_breaking

Posted on: 2016/10/6 14:20

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/9 18:53
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/10/6 1:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
By Claude Brodesser-Akner and Brent Johnson | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
on October 05, 2016 at 4:47 PM, updated October 05, 2016 at 6:12 PM

TRENTON ? Phil Murphy, a former banking executive and U.S. envoy who was recently a newcomer to New Jersey politics, is set to take another big step to strengthen his quest to win next year's Democratic nomination to succeed Gov. Chris Christie.

Democratic Party chairmen from four counties ? Bergen, Hudson, Morris, and Passaic ? will endorse Murphy at a noon news conference Thursday on the steps of the Bergen County Democratic headquarters in Hackensack, multiple sources with direct knowledge of the event told NJ Advance Media.

More

Posted on: 2016/10/6 1:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Too add insult to injury Murphy ran an ad in tonight's Mets/Giant game throwing a giant dig to Fulop, saying he won't accept giant anonymous donations from those trying to buy favors.

Posted on: 2016/10/6 0:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Is anyone else amazed that even though Fulop groveled in endorsing Murphy, Murphy hasn't returned the favor by endorsing Fulop for mayor?

No, because some links posted here indicated that Fulop has a lot of dirt on him and the insiders know it. He may be radioactive now.

I read it on the Internet! It must be true!

Posted on: 2016/10/4 20:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Is anyone else amazed that even though Fulop groveled in endorsing Murphy, Murphy hasn't returned the favor by endorsing Fulop for mayor?

No, because some links posted here indicated that Fulop has a lot of dirt on him and the insiders know it. He may be radioactive now.

Posted on: 2016/10/4 16:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
There is an event with Chelsea Clinton coming up. Though that is a bigger ticket item than the Zeppelin Hall $20 fundraisers.

Posted on: 2016/10/4 15:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/10/4 12:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bamb00zle wrote:
Hmm..... seems like a bunch of spin to me jerseymom. I am very curious to see what might happen next. Too many sudden announcements makes it look out of control imho. Could be nothing I'll grant, but my curiosity has been piqued by events of the past few days....

I am sure it was a simple fact that people were backing out of the event in droves.... that is a big hall to fill. I was there on mayoral election night... it was amazing to watch people jumping up on the empty stage to have their pictures taken in front of the Fulop for Mayor banners. I wonder if they are still feeling that tingle down their leg,

Posted on: 2016/10/4 11:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/16 6:03
From DT JC
Group:
Registered Users
Hmm..... seems like a bunch of spin to me jerseymom. I am very curious to see what might happen next. Too many sudden announcements makes it look out of control imho. Could be nothing I'll grant, but my curiosity has been piqued by events of the past few days....

Posted on: 2016/10/4 2:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
The fundraiser @ Zeppelin Hall tomorrow has been postponed to a bigger and better TBA over the next week... this should be interesting. Maybe Christie's schedule suddenly got full for tomorrow night? :)

(From the cancellation email distributed by the mayor:)

I hope this email finds you well, and I would be remiss if I didn't start by expressing how appreciative I am for all of your support.

The purpose of this email is let you know that we decided to reschedule our fundraiser that was scheduled for tomorrow, October 4th, at Zeppelin Hall, in order to push all of our effort towards a Jersey City event we are hosting next week focused on the presidential election (more information to be provided shortly).

We try to be mindful of your time, and truly appreciate your support.

Posted on: 2016/10/4 0:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
The fundraiser @ Zeppelin Hall tomorrow has been postponed to a bigger and better TBA over the next week... this should be interesting. Maybe Christie's schedule suddenly got full for tomorrow night? :)

Posted on: 2016/10/3 22:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bogart wrote:
I'm tired of ready crap like this (from the njbiz.com link above):

Fulop?s relationship with Tom Bertoli, a Hudson County political operative, had long been a problem for some close to the mayor.

Lately, rumors have been circulating about Bertoli?s relationship with Fulop inside City Hall.

And while no source indicated Fulop had done anything illegal ? ?I don?t think he ever took a penny from anyone? ? the appearance of impropriety may have been too much.

It apparently was enough for Fulop to drop out of the race.

Reporters pretending to be revealing the inside scoop but actually saying nothing.

Should reporters be held to a higher standard than our elected officials? Does anyone, of either party, believe that Fulop bowed out 'for the good of the party'? Because no-one does.

Posted on: 2016/10/3 20:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I'm tired of ready crap like this (from the njbiz.com link above):

Fulop?s relationship with Tom Bertoli, a Hudson County political operative, had long been a problem for some close to the mayor.

Lately, rumors have been circulating about Bertoli?s relationship with Fulop inside City Hall.

And while no source indicated Fulop had done anything illegal ? ?I don?t think he ever took a penny from anyone? ? the appearance of impropriety may have been too much.

It apparently was enough for Fulop to drop out of the race.

Reporters pretending to be revealing the inside scoop but actually saying nothing.

Posted on: 2016/10/3 18:42
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Fulop: 'I made the right decision'

By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal
on October 02, 2016 at 8:00 AM, updated October 02, 2016 at 8:09 AM

Jersey City is still in shock four days after Mayor Steve Fulop abruptly dropped his unofficial gubernatorial bid.

City workers who had been dreaming of jobs in Trenton in 2018, political foes who had been thinking ? hoping? ? Fulop would be out of the picture by this time next year and even some of Fulop's close friends were blindsided Wednesday morning by the news that the mayor was abandoning his gubernatorial aspirations and running for re-election instead.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... w.html#incart_2box_hudson

Posted on: 2016/10/2 13:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From DT JC
Group:
Registered Users
User1111, thanks for posting the cartoon. I found Sheneman's accompanying remarks every bit as entertaining (if not more so) and I wouldn't want anyone to miss a good laugh....

Here you go folks:

?Like a bottle rocket that fails to slip the surly bonds of Earth and instead skitters off the driveway and underneath a bush, such is the nascent gubernatorial candidacy of Jersey City mayor Steve Fulop.

A moment of silence for what might have been.
?
Earlier this week?Mayor Fulop announced to an audience in the tens of people that he would neither seek or accept the Democratic nomination for governor of the great state of New Jersey.?His stated reason for abandoning his once promising campaign is to avoid dragging the Democratic party into an ugly primary battle with opponents Phil Murphy and (probably) Senate President?Steve Sweeney.

That's mighty kind of ya, Steve. Truly a magnanimous act.

The real reason he's not running is that he got caught up in the Bridgegate debacle and a bunch of other unsavory New Jersey political shenanigans like trading favors and awarding contracts to cronies.

He made his name dismantling?a corrupt machine in Jersey City but?it turns out he was only using it for parts.

The announcement certainly came as a blow to?the several dozen people who could recognize him without a name tag.??

Posted on: 2016/10/1 23:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Posted on: 2016/10/1 22:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/26 20:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Brutal read for Fulop supporters.

http://www.njbiz.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar ... r-fall&template=mobileart

?Fulop has become New Jersey?s Ted Cruz,? a longtime observer said. ?No one wants to be associated with him now.?

Quite funny - not far from the truth, either.

Posted on: 2016/10/1 20:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From DT JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Did y'all see the Sheneman cartoon on NJ.com?

http://www.nj.com/opinion/index.ssf/2 ... n.html#incart_river_index

Best reflection on Fulop I've seen so far: ?He made his name dismantling?a corrupt machine in Jersey City but?it turns out he was only using it for parts.?

Posted on: 2016/10/1 19:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
You forgot Daniel Rivera.

Posted on: 2016/10/1 18:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/28 15:11
Group:
Registered Users
Fulop is done. He will not be reelected in Jersey City now.

Who will our next mayor be? Any bright, progressive local people out there who would do well by the entire city? Someone who is not corrupt, not seeking higher office beyond Jersey City and not incompetent?

Here's the list I see:

Barbara Camacho
Sean Connors
Sandra Cunningham
Rich Boggiano
Greg Kierce
Rolando Lavarro
Dan Levin
Charles Mainor
Bill Matsikoudis
Bill O'Dea
Candice Osbourne
Joseph Scott
Michael Yun

Anyone else out there? Maybe someone that needs to be recruited into the role?

Posted on: 2016/10/1 18:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

I called this right from the beginning in this thread. Still waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Posted on: 2016/10/1 18:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DanL wrote:
like what?

most major things were well under way when he took office,....

LOL... spoken like a true Healy ticket candidate.

JJ 10/10/2012: "JERSEY CITY-- Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy announced today that community activist and Ward E candidate has joined his 2013 council slate, making Levin the first-announced member of the mayor's council ticket."

Posted on: 2016/10/1 17:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/10/1 16:31

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]