Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
123 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 123

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: Disrespecting "other" religions
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Mao wrote:
the Jews did not seek to convert the Muslims so the theological tension was much less.

Think hard about this, and it's relevance to tolerance.

You may nitpick and find exceptions in the historic record, but in general there was no pre 20th century Muslim equivalent of the centuries long European expulsions, denials of human rights, and pogroms against Jews.

Yvonne, you just dig yourself deeper suggesting that an atrocity is worse because perhaps it's victims ancestors were Jews not Arabs. You're like Drumpf, you apparently don't even know when you're being racist.

Sorry, Brewster, my information comes from history. You are making general statements and when general statements are made you gloss over hard facts. The Middle East and Northern Africa were basically Christian nations. Islam means surrender they had a choice to surrender or die. This exact thing is happening now in the Middle East and parts of Africa and this destruction is also happening in Europe and this country. I guess you must be a Hillary supporter who endorse her plans to increase the number of Muslim immigrants so this country can be like France with its bombs.

Posted on: 2016/10/4 17:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Mao wrote:
the Jews did not seek to convert the Muslims so the theological tension was much less.

Think hard about this, and it's relevance to tolerance.

You may nitpick and find exceptions in the historic record, but in general there was no pre 20th century Muslim equivalent of the centuries long European expulsions, denials of human rights, and pogroms against Jews.

Yvonne, you just dig yourself deeper suggesting that an atrocity is worse because perhaps it's victims ancestors were Jews not Arabs. You're like Drumpf, you apparently don't even know when you're being racist.

Posted on: 2016/10/4 16:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
[quote]
You are making no sense at all. When did Christianity changed the story of Abraham?

You might recall when some apostles contrived to " take another religion that existed thousands of years ago, change it" ?

From the Jewish POV, whether you proclaim a messiah & pitch all of the Lords laws, or change which boy God wanted killed in the story, it makes little difference. You have now modified the religion for your own purposes. Not that there's anything wrong with that, have a ball, just leave us out of the "them what killed Jesus thing" thing. Fact is, up until pretty recently, Jews got along in the Islamic world quite a bit better than in the Christian one. Tolerance is not giving a crap what others believe as long as they leave you alone about it. Consider it.

Again, people do not know history, in the centuries prior to the rise of Islam, the Middle East and Northern Africa had strong or large sections of worshiping Christians. St. Augustine came from Northern Africa. After the rise of Islam, those Christian nations were converted by the sword. Islam means surrender. The Christians in Syrians that are being killed were not Arabs, they were Jews who converted to Christianity from the Apostles.

Posted on: 2016/10/4 13:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
12/12 0:04
Group:
Registered Users
Brewster-

It is a lot more complicated. Some writings of Maimonedes who experienced terrible Islamic persecution make it seem that Islam was much worse for Medieval Jewery. A fairly good exploration of the travails of Medieval Jews at the hands of Europeans and at the hands of Muslims is Mark Cohen;s Under the Cresent and the Cross.

I think the reality is that the Jews were persecuted both by Christians and by Muslims, though in some ways the Jews fared better than Christians at the hands of Muslims. Bernard Lewis explains this by the fact that the Christians were a threat to the Muslims and a target. The Jews were an insubstantial minority. Within an Islamic society, Jews could hold relativly high offices etc and not threaten the polity. Moreover, the Jews did not seek to convert the Muslims so the theological tension was much less.

Obviously, you are not a Jew for Jesus and the relationship betweent he two faiths is well known in its iterations even in the Gospel itsel. Who do you say that I am, asks Christ, over and over. Elijah? the Messiah of Israel? the blasphemer?

Shanah Tovah

Yours,

Mao

Posted on: 2016/10/4 13:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
[quote]
You are making no sense at all. When did Christianity changed the story of Abraham?

You might recall when some apostles contrived to " take another religion that existed thousands of years ago, change it" ?

From the Jewish POV, whether you proclaim a messiah & pitch all of the Lords laws, or change which boy God wanted killed in the story, it makes little difference. You have now modified the religion for your own purposes. Not that there's anything wrong with that, have a ball, just leave us out of the "them what killed Jesus thing" thing. Fact is, up until pretty recently, Jews got along in the Islamic world quite a bit better than in the Christian one. Tolerance is not giving a crap what others believe as long as they leave you alone about it. Consider it.

Posted on: 2016/10/4 2:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

drifterx wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
This, right here, is a simple example of why multi-cultural societies can't really work. You can't account for every religion out there. You have to say "ok, this society is X, here are the holidays, and if you need to take a few days for your own stuff fine but ultimately, this is these are the holidays that are this society's holidays because we are a ______ society." That's what happens in the middle east - they're Muslim. So everything is closed on Muslim holidays. Yet, for some reason we in the West have lost our way and feel the desperate need to appease every other religion out there so "they don't feel bad."

So guys, the national holidays are what they are for a reason. The reason is that this society was founded by (feel free to fill in the blank). There's zero reason to change that now - though I do note that there is a good reason to consider this when looking at our immigration policy.

The end. And yes, you can guess who I'm voting for in the election. And religiously, I'm not religious at all.

I think things like a 'multi-cultural society' doesn't work is because people would rather give up and fail to actually do the 'work'. Nothing can ever be perfect but America has been multi-cultural all these years so why are some Americans today suddenly giving up now? It was acceptable when the Irish and Italian Catholics moved in so now it isn't? I'll give you a hint, it wasn't perfect back then either. People resisted and persecuted those immigrants but our better angels prevailed and people worked at having good relations. So yeah, I have a pretty good idea on who you are voting for and it is a sad reminder of those early days but I believe in America that is inclusive and I will believe our better angels will prevail now as well.

I think it's rather sad that people cite the failure of one of this country's strengths just because they can't agree on holidays. /smh

Work it out people. It starts with talking to each other, not past each other.

Why isn't it working anymore? Because traditionally, America has been a melting pot instead of a tossed salad. In other words, in "the good old days" no one expected to adapt to immigrant cultures, immigrant cultures were supposed to assimilate into America. But if you have to let whoever shows up take over then the obvious answer is that you probably shouldn't let people show up anymore unless they're not going to screw up your life.

When was this period that you speak of?

Posted on: 2016/10/4 1:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
This is about disrespecting other religion. But think about it you take another religion that existed thousands of years ago, change it and then demand a holiday for it.

You're talking about Christianity right? It's hard to tell which you have less of: tolerance, or sense of when you're making ironic or hypocritical statements. Most people have in internal proofreader, seems like yours quit if you ever had one.

Posted on: 2016/10/4 1:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
This is about disrespecting other religion. But think about it you take another religion that existed thousands of years ago, change it and then demand a holiday for it.

You're talking about Christianity right? It's hard to tell which you have less of: tolerance, or sense of when you're making ironic or hypocritical statements. Most people have in internal proofreader, seems like yours quit if you ever had one.

Posted on: 2016/10/4 0:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
As someone with a degree in history, I'm perfectly happy with fewer people reading the bible. It is one of the worst written pieces of awful sci-fi/fantasy fiction in all of recorded language.

I'm sorry, but I don't think your degree in history gives you any qualification on what makes a good read or not.

Posted on: 2016/10/4 0:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
As someone with a degree in history, I'm perfectly happy with fewer people reading the bible. It is one of the worst written pieces of awful sci-fi/fantasy fiction in all of recorded language.

The less people who want to look to contradictory fairy tales for answers the better.

#Jesus Wept

Posted on: 2016/10/3 23:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:

The less people who want to look to contradictory fairy tales for answers the better.

You realize that is just your personal opinion. The are people who believe Star Wars is a religion. I personal believe in the Word of God in Scripture not Star Wars. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/artic ... -Star-Wars-franchise.html

Posted on: 2016/10/3 23:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/10/3 23:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

mscottc wrote:
Yvonne,
Are you judging people who haven't read the bible? Are people who don't read the bible somehow less than you?
How about if I've primarily read only the set of books most Americans call the "First Testament?" Would that make me less of a person. How about if I read that so called "First Testament" and even in my early teens realized that it was a bunch of malarkey, at least IMHO. And I decided I didn't believe any of it. Does that make me less of a person?

Oh... and what about all those people who took the religion of Abraham Isaac and Jacob, and based on some messiah and created a whole new religion. A religion that gave up many of the rules of the original religion?

I'm just wondering where you are coming from.

The Bible is the most common book in the Western civilization. But I have noticed today, the lack of knowledge pertaining to the Bible. This follows the lack of knowledge on basic history. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A8OBYmpMpw

OMG, I hope those kids are actors.

Posted on: 2016/10/3 21:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mscottc wrote:
Yvonne,
Are you judging people who haven't read the bible? Are people who don't read the bible somehow less than you?
How about if I've primarily read only the set of books most Americans call the "First Testament?" Would that make me less of a person. How about if I read that so called "First Testament" and even in my early teens realized that it was a bunch of malarkey, at least IMHO. And I decided I didn't believe any of it. Does that make me less of a person?

Oh... and what about all those people who took the religion of Abraham Isaac and Jacob, and based on some messiah and created a whole new religion. A religion that gave up many of the rules of the original religion?

The Bible is the most common book in the Western civilization. But I have noticed today, the lack of knowledge pertaining to the Bible. This follows the lack of knowledge on basic history. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A8OBYmpMpw

Posted on: 2016/10/3 20:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/1 5:25
Group:
Registered Users
I think this is an exaggeration. There will always be people resisting and there are always people who are more that ready and willing to embrace the melting pot idea. You think the reason we are talking to each other in English today is because of nativists? No my friend, it is because immigrants like myself believe in America and we were welcomed by it despite my funny sounding language. I grew up here, went to school here, and work here with people who went through the same thing although not all the same experiences and with different degrees of assimilation. If you are claiming that America is over then I claim we are just getting started.

Posted on: 2016/10/3 20:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

drifterx wrote:
That's just bizarre. You think a melting pot is something that happens overnight? There is always resistance and it is a slow process. What you see as 'taking over' is nothing new. Even your criticism of that is nothing new. There will always be a struggle, there will always be some attempt of cultures one-upping for dominance but eventually we became America and no, we didn't all end up speaking Italian although some would probably think that's a shame.

I agree generally that this is nothing new (ergo, it isn't bizarre at all), but in the past you saw significantly less willingness to adapt to the immigrants. In fact, the melting pot isn't even seen as a goal for many today - now we're openly embracing the "tossed salad." And the reason we aren't speaking another language is because nativists, who get a bad rep today, were so unwilling to allow that change. If we don't get that kind of backlash today then we're going to get a very different result.

Posted on: 2016/10/3 19:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
That's just bizarre. You think a melting pot is something that happens overnight? There is always resistance and it is a slow process. What you see as 'taking over' is nothing new. Even your criticism of that is nothing new. There will always be a struggle, there will always be some attempt of cultures one-upping for dominance but eventually we became America and no, we didn't all end up speaking Italian although some would probably think that's a shame.

Posted on: 2016/10/3 19:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

drifterx wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
This, right here, is a simple example of why multi-cultural societies can't really work. You can't account for every religion out there. You have to say "ok, this society is X, here are the holidays, and if you need to take a few days for your own stuff fine but ultimately, this is these are the holidays that are this society's holidays because we are a ______ society." That's what happens in the middle east - they're Muslim. So everything is closed on Muslim holidays. Yet, for some reason we in the West have lost our way and feel the desperate need to appease every other religion out there so "they don't feel bad."

So guys, the national holidays are what they are for a reason. The reason is that this society was founded by (feel free to fill in the blank). There's zero reason to change that now - though I do note that there is a good reason to consider this when looking at our immigration policy.

The end. And yes, you can guess who I'm voting for in the election. And religiously, I'm not religious at all.

I think things like a 'multi-cultural society' doesn't work is because people would rather give up and fail to actually do the 'work'. Nothing can ever be perfect but America has been multi-cultural all these years so why are some Americans today suddenly giving up now? It was acceptable when the Irish and Italian Catholics moved in so now it isn't? I'll give you a hint, it wasn't perfect back then either. People resisted and persecuted those immigrants but our better angels prevailed and people worked at having good relations. So yeah, I have a pretty good idea on who you are voting for and it is a sad reminder of those early days but I believe in America that is inclusive and I will believe our better angels will prevail now as well.

I think it's rather sad that people cite the failure of one of this country's strengths just because they can't agree on holidays. /smh

Why isn't it working anymore? Because traditionally, America has been a melting pot instead of a tossed salad. In other words, in "the good old days" no one expected to adapt to immigrant cultures, immigrant cultures were supposed to assimilate into America. But if you have to let whoever shows up take over then the obvious answer is that you probably shouldn't let people show up anymore unless they're not going to screw up your life.

Posted on: 2016/10/3 19:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:

Posted on: 2016/10/3 19:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/16 16:34
Group:
Registered Users
Yvonne,

Posted on: 2016/10/3 18:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/10/3 18:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

r_pinkowitz wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
If a Jewish kid stays home on a high holiday and gets it marked as a 'regular' absence I agree with Boris-it's an outrage.

Monroe, I have no first hand knowledge of this. I grew up in New York and our schools were closed for Jewish High Holy days.

IMO children of all faiths and cultures should have the ability to celebrate and observe their most important holidays without being absent (and affecting their attendance record) from school. When you say "regular" absence is that different from an "excused absence"? Can someone chime in on this...

I'm answering my own question. This applies to Jersey City Public Schools....The school district told me that if a child stays home from school for religious observance, it's considered and excused absence.

Posted on: 2016/10/3 17:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Illegal absences can result in truancy. Excuse absences do not.

Posted on: 2016/10/2 16:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
If a Jewish kid stays home on a high holiday and gets it marked as a 'regular' absence I agree with Boris-it's an outrage.

Monroe, I have no first hand knowledge of this. I grew up in New York and our schools were closed for Jewish High Holy days.

IMO children of all faiths and cultures should have the ability to celebrate and observe their most important holidays without being absent (and affecting their attendance record) from school. When you say "regular" absence is that different from an "excused absence"? Can someone chime in on this...

Posted on: 2016/10/2 16:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/10/2 16:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 23:17
Group:
Registered Users
I'm glad to be one of the ' lucky ' one when I read such drivel.

Posted on: 2016/10/2 15:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I forgot people on JClist probably do not or never read the Bible. God asked Abraham to sacrifice his son Issac, the child he had with his wife Sarah. Eid al-Adha, proclaims, God asked Abraham to sacrifice his son Ishmael, the child he had with his "wife" Hagar. As you know the story, God stopped the sacrifice. But this is he fact, the history of the Jews and the sacrifice happened probably 3,000 years before the start of Islam. The Torah and Christian Bibles only speak of the sacrifice God asked of Abraham for his son Issac. Hagar was not his wife, she was the slave of his wife, Sarah. Sarah suggested he have a child with her due to her old age. Later, Sarah did have a child which is Issac. A religion was changed to suit another religion and a holiday was granted.

Posted on: 2016/10/2 15:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

I think I'm missing something here Yvonne, please elaborate. Which religion are you referring to ?

Posted on: 2016/10/2 14:50
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/10/2 14:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/10/2 14:04
Get on your bikes and ride !