Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
126 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 126

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Fulop won't run for governor, will back Murphy, sources say
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Interesting potential problem non-gubernatorial candidate Fulop might face - pay to play. Jersey City's standard is much tighter than the Starr's particularly with regard to PACs. Should be interesting to see how that develops.

Posted on: 2016/9/28 19:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/28 15:11
Group:
Registered Users
Good. Fulop hasn't done shit to make JC better yet. Fix more of our problems before seeking higher office.

Posted on: 2016/9/28 19:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
"Patrick Murray, director of the Monmouth University Polling Institute, said Murphy ? a former Goldman Sachs executive who has infused his campaign with a $10 million loan ? is suddenly the front-runner."

I was wondering why there were so many Murphy ads all over the place. Now I know.

Posted on: 2016/9/28 19:19

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/15 18:48
From One of the Oranges
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Stateaidguy, do we know Murphy's stance on equitable, fair state education funding?

Phil Murphy cares as much about state aid as he cares about Uruguayan airport construction bidding.

Phil Murphy says, writes, and does nothing on state aid. Murphy never misses a chance to link NJ's problems and misgovernance with Chris Christie, but when Christie proposed his awful "Fairness Formula" and when the state auditor came out with a damning report on the unfairness of the aid distribution Murphy says nothing.

Murphy's website has nothing on state aid. His stump speech has nothing in it about state aid. His ads have nothing about state aid.

Murphy's indifference to state aid is in parallel to his indifference to property taxes.

When Murphy has been asked about state aid he shows how uninformed he is.

I saw Murphy get a question about state aid at a town hall and then just hand the mic off to Dick Codey.

I saw Murphy get a question about state aid in an online forum and then put 100% of the blame on Christie for cutting aid in 2010, even though NJ's revenues had fallen by billions and our federal stimulus money had been exhausted.

When host Larry Mendte of Jersey Matters asked Phil Murphy, if he would shift state aid around Murphy evaded the question and gave an error-riddled description of how our state aid law was _supposed_ to work, without recognizing any of hte problems in it. He also didn't use the name of the law, "SFRA," which indicates a lack of familiarity to me.

When Larry Mendte then asked Murphy point blank if he'd reallocate state aid Murphy paused and then said "I'd like to implement that formula."

(watch at 3:30)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgoyRJp0qy4

"Implementing that formula" depends on pouring billions more into state aid and Murphy has never said where he would get that money.

The closest Murphy has come to saying there is a problem is "maybe the formula needs to be tweaked."

Yes, he used the words "maybe" and "tweaked."

Murphy talks about PreK aid quite a bit and has criticized Christie for not providing PreK for another 45,000 kids (which would cost at least $600 million.)

However, as for K-12? Murphy doesn't care.

Posted on: 2016/9/28 19:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Fulop won't run for N.J. governor, a 'game changer' for 2017 race to succeed Christie

By Brent Johnson | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
on September 28, 2016 at 2:57 PM

JERSEY CITY ? Jersey City Mayor Steve Fulop, a Democrat, formally announced Wednesday afternoon that he won't run for governor next year ? a shocking move that reshapes the race to succeed Republican Chris Christie.

In a news conference outside of city hall in the state's second-largest city, Fulop said he will instead support Phil Murphy, the former banking executive and U.S. ambassador to Germany who is the only 2017 hopeful to officially declare his candidacy.

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/ ... e.html#incart_river_index

Posted on: 2016/9/28 19:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Stateaidguy, do we know Murphy's stance on equitable, fair state education funding?

Posted on: 2016/9/28 18:53

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From One of the Oranges
Group:
Registered Users
Senator Ray Lesniak has the best quote on the Fulop>Murphy endorsement:

"Murphy made a deal with the Devil."

Steve Fulop has done more shady dealing than any other elected Democrat in New Jersey.[img width=200]https://nyoobserver.files.wordpress.com/2015/09/photo3-e14418546066951.jpg?quality=80&w=635&h=394[/img]

Steve Fulop defends grossly unfair tax systems, for Jersey City and the state as a whole.

I agree and hope that Ray Lesniak starts to get more attention now.

Murphy's claim to be against "insiders" is pathetic. Murphy takes all the suppport from insiders he can get.

http://observer.com/2016/09/lesniak-s ... with-fulop-off-the-field/

Posted on: 2016/9/28 18:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
I truly suggest therapy, nick. You have problems. As I stated before, Clinton left her position in government in 2013 but did not announced until 2015. Everyone knew she was going to run. Fulop is playing the same game. Fulop probably made a deal with the Democratic Party to take Menendez place. The US senator is in trouble and Fulop ran against him before. He is probably pulling a Booker. Let's get real, there is no need to announce until this was expected. Didn't the mayor of Newark say he would back Fulop for governor?
http://www.nj.com/opinion/index.ssf/2 ... ulop_become_governor.html

Posted on: 2016/9/28 18:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/3 18:37
From DTJC
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
[quote]
Healy never made this announcement at the end of this first term.

Because no one anywhere, ever mentioned (or probably even thought of) Healy running for governor?

Why not? Healy is a lawyer and a former judge as well as a former councilman. Fulop was playing of the part similar to Hillary of not announcing until the very end.

Because he was an incompetent, fat oaf (figures that you would love him) and any aspiration of higher office was killed as soon as he was photographed passed out naked on his front porch?

I guess this makes your stupid election referendum lawsuit invalid. He'll be around for a few more years for you to rage against though, while you simultaneously keep up your parking crusade.

Posted on: 2016/9/28 17:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
[quote]

Because no one anywhere, ever mentioned (or probably even thought of) Healy running for governor?

Why not? Healy is a lawyer and a former judge as well as a former councilman. Fulop was playing of the part similar to Hillary of not announcing until the very end.

Posted on: 2016/9/28 17:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
This would be absolutely shocking. He's been gunning for this position since his first day in office.

If this actually happens, I'm 100% positive someone has a lot of dirt on him and it's BAD. Could be related to his own version of Bridgegate, when he stopped traffic at the Holland Tunnel, or something more nefarious. There is some irrefutable proof, probably in writing, of whatever the dirt is.

He didn't make a deal for Senate or some other position because his moves over the past several years have been specifically aimed at the Governor position.

Whatever it is we may find out soon. Can't wait to see what it is.

welp, guess I have my answer.

Posted on: 2016/9/28 16:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
Good. Perhaps now he can turn his attention 100% to addressing Jersey City's issues without having his mind preoccupied by how every decision he makes affects his chances on higher democratic office.

Posted on: 2016/9/28 16:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
I don't think there's bad dirt as the lead reason to not run (though no doubt there's some dirt). I would bet it has much more to do with polling outside Hudson County, and lack of $$ in addition to the state Dem machine support. Deals happen all the time. It might simply have been a matter that the N NJ Dems felt they could get farther with another candidate this time around and that his "turn" will come down the road.

Posted on: 2016/9/28 16:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
[quote]

Posted on: 2016/9/28 16:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dr_nick_riviera wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

Thanks for the clarification. It could be something else. Maybe related to the long delayed reval?

I don't know what it is but there's a very bad smoking gun that he's aware of. There just has to be for him to make this shocking move. And I think we are going to find out in the near future.

Maybe there's no huge smoking gun, maybe he just conducted internal polling and saw that an urban-based, first-term mayor just wouldn't be as popular through the rest of the state and could have a problem winning election? He would be running against much more experienced candidates with better name recognition, regardless of his own merits would be.

Zero chance. First, such a move would be in jarring contrast with his psychological profile (very high ambitions, likely a big ego, calculating). He would at least give the run a chance. As the National Primaries demonstrated, a lot can happen between Day 1 and Election Day.

Now, if a Democrat wins (high chance of happening), he will not have another chance for 8 years.

Second, I believe he has already raised money for his governor run fund. Even if your hypothetical is true, he would at least use the money in a run and see where he is.

Finally, do you think a guy like Murphy has a ton more name recognition to the average NJ voter than Fulop? I don't.

This was an involuntary move that essentially flushed years of careful planning down the toilet. Assuming this "source" is correct of course.

Posted on: 2016/9/28 16:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dr_nick_riviera wrote:
Yvonne to be placed on suicide watch, immediately.

nick, wow, you need some help. The fact that this was an announcement means he did plan on running for governor. Healy never made this announcement at the end of this first term.

Posted on: 2016/9/28 16:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
If true, too bad as he could have done more for JC as a seated Gov.

#ambitions

Posted on: 2016/9/28 16:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From DTJC
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

Thanks for the clarification. It could be something else. Maybe related to the long delayed reval?

I don't know what it is but there's a very bad smoking gun that he's aware of. There just has to be for him to make this shocking move. And I think we are going to find out in the near future.

Maybe there's no huge smoking gun, maybe he just conducted internal polling and saw that an urban-based, first-term mayor just wouldn't be as popular through the rest of the state and could have a problem winning election? He would be running against much more experienced candidates with better name recognition, regardless of his own merits would be.

Posted on: 2016/9/28 16:16

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From One of the Oranges
Group:
Registered Users
I hope Fulop's departure lets Ray Lesniak or John Wisniewski become a top tier candidate.

Both Lesniak and Wisniewski have a lot of integrity and deserve a fair look.

Lesniak is the state's #1 advocate for animal rights. That's not an issue a politician picks up who just wants to pander to donors or a big constituency. I respect him for taking up a cause for a voiceless, voteless group.

Wisniewski was a very early backer of Bernie Sanders. I was never a Sanders person, but I admire Wisniewski's independence for this. Wisniewski went for Sanders when nobody thought Sanders had a chance.

Posted on: 2016/9/28 16:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From DTJC
Group:
Banned
Yvonne to be placed on suicide watch, immediately.

Posted on: 2016/9/28 16:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
To be accurate, Fulop WANTED to do some dirty traffic tricks outside the Holland Tunnel-his hand picked police chief overruled him. What he did do was mess with trucks leaving a Port Authority leased facility in the far south of the city, claiming it was part of many truck inspections to be carried out. No such other inspections ever took place.

Posted on: 2016/9/28 15:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
To be accurate, Fulop WANTED to do some dirty traffic tricks outside the Holland Tunnel-his hand picked police chief overruled him. What he did do was mess with trucks leaving a Port Authority leased facility in the far south of the city, claiming it was part of many truck inspections to be carried out. No such other inspections ever took place.

Posted on: 2016/9/28 15:39

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From One of the Oranges
Group:
Registered Users
I could vote for a businessperson who had no prior experience for a high office if I agreed with him or her on the issues and the person had made his/her money in a way that hadn't hurt the common good, but not Phil Murphy.

Phil Murphy has shown almost no sympathy for New Jerseyans who are getting killed by property taxes. If you look at his website and listen to his statements, he says nothing about taxes at all except that they are a problem for seniors and some low-income people. The idea that middle-class or working-class, non-seniors could be overburdened by taxes doesn't occur to him. Murphy is the only candidate running who OPPOSES a tax cap.

When asked about property taxes Murphy says the solution is "economic growth," which is the equivalent of saying "I have no plan other than luck."

And yet, Murphy's spending promises are so expansive that even if we had strong economic growth (yeah right) Murphy would pour so much money new programs like a huge expansion of PreK that there would be little money left over for municipal and school aid that actually offset property taxes.

Murphy is, by far, the biggest shill for the NJEA too. He says he has "no opinion" of tenure reform, he says he is against new charter schools, and he wants to drop the PARCC with (get this) a different computerized test.

Murphy's playbook for the campaign is a generic "How to Run as Democrat" playbook he got from the DNC. Murphy is for all sorts of worthy Democratic goals, like funding for Planned Parenthood, a $15 / hour minimum wage, and gun control, but there is next to nothing in his campaign which deals with NJ-specific problems, such as our pension crisis and sky-high cost of living.

Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

neverleft wrote:
Fulop won't run for governor, will back Murphy, sources say

By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal
on September 28, 2016 at 9:20 AM, updated September 28, 2016 at 9:29 AM

JERSEY CITY ? Mayor Steve Fulop will announce this afternoon that he will not seek the Democratic nomination for governor next year, sources have told The Jersey Journal.

The sources also say Fulop will throw his support behind Phil Murphy, a former Goldman Sachs executive and former U.S. ambassador who announced his gubernatorial run in May.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... n.html#incart_2box_hudson
interesting, i don't see what makes a goldman sachs alum any more qualified to be governor than a career politician....i'm thinking corzine, christie and gay american. i'm thinking we need someone dedicated to public service in trenton

Posted on: 2016/9/28 15:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
This would be absolutely shocking. He's been gunning for this position since his first day in office.

If this actually happens, I'm 100% positive someone has a lot of dirt on him and it's BAD. Could be related to his own version of Bridgegate, when he stopped traffic at the Holland Tunnel, or something more nefarious. There is some irrefutable proof, probably in writing, of whatever the dirt is.

He didn't make a deal for Senate or some other position because his moves over the past several years have been specifically aimed at the Governor position.

Whatever it is we may find out soon. Can't wait to see what it is.

Posted on: 2016/9/28 15:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

neverleft wrote:

JERSEY CITY ? Mayor Steve Fulop will announce this afternoon that he will not seek the Democratic nomination for governor next year, sources have told The Jersey Journal.

The sources also say Fulop will throw his support behind Phil Murphy, a former Goldman Sachs executive and former U.S. ambassador who announced his gubernatorial run in May.

interesting, i don't see what makes a goldman sachs alum any more qualified to be governor than a career politician....i'm thinking corzine, christie and gay american. i'm thinking we need someone dedicated to public service in trenton

Posted on: 2016/9/28 15:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Wow, if you have too much dirt to run as Gov of NJ, you know it must be bad.

Hmmm. Interesting move. I don't know about dirt - perhaps more of a deal? Think he's been given the blessing to run for Menendez's seat?

Posted on: 2016/9/28 15:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Wow, if you have too much dirt to run as Gov of NJ, you know it must be bad.

Posted on: 2016/9/28 14:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
What will all the muppets around here parrot now that Fulop isn't running for governor?

Posted on: 2016/9/28 13:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/9/28 13:33

« 1 2 (3)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017