Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
146 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 146

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Parking Issues Around Hamilton Park
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/17 3:49
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
It's definitely been getting tighter lately.

Used to be that as long as you were home before dinner time you were good to go, even on a Friday or Saturday.

Last night I couldn't find a spot for the life of me and actually gave up and went back out. hah

The permit parking should probably be amended to some degree to get people to use the lots and garages for their weekend adventures. You can park legally without a permit from 5pm on Friday until 10am on Monday. That's not terribly helpful to a resident with a job, who wants to be parked exactly during those hours.

Posted on: 2016/9/21 16:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sutherland wrote:
I do pay for parking. It's called real estate taxes. Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Parking is still real estate. If you want to park, you should pay for that service.

Can you show me the line item of your real estate tax bill that assigns parking services to you?

Or did you just make that up?

Posted on: 2016/9/21 16:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/8/30 8:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sutherland wrote:
...Certainly 20 years ago, JC was a city as it is now. However, parking was not an issue when I moved here as it is now. The only issue is the excessive and poorly planned development.

No, it wasn't a city as it is now. It was a city in highly unusual circumstances, namely, it was just starting to recover from a major cratering of its population. The highest population of JC was in like the 30s or 40s; it's just getting back to its former level now, albeit with larger housing spaces than the tenements of yore.

In the meantime, as with many US cities in the midst of the Great White Flight to suburbia, it was relatively easy to get around by car in JC. The streetcar and bus system was gutted, further investments in transit weren't made, but it didn't really matter.

Now those chickens are coming home to roost. The US is realizing that city living is far more efficient and economically and socially dynamic than endless suburban sprawl, and our population is returning to its former levels and will soon surpass them.

What's missing is, as others have said, major reinvestments in transit, alternative transportation such as biking and walking, and other techniques that modern cities around the world have been and are continuing to adopt. That's what's needed here, not some magic parking bullet.

Yes, parking (and driving) privately owned passenger cars in a modern city is inherently flawed, and it was always an accident that it worked here as long as it did. All that is over.

Posted on: 2016/9/21 16:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/18 14:36
Group:
Registered Users
I'm a city person, born and bred. I could never move to suburbia. However, I always found the argument that parking issues are concomitant to urban life to be absolutely ridiculous and lacking in any sort of thought. I've been living downtown JC for nearly 20 years. Certainly 20 years ago, JC was a city as it is now. However, parking was not an issue when I moved here as it is now. The only issue is the excessive and poorly planned development. Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
Permits 24h permit parking would resolve a lot of this because people who can't get street permits (meaning, their building has parking) just park after business hours free and clear.

In the meantime, I trust that you are aware that you can get reduced monthly parking at the mall. Go for it.

If even that isn't acceptable, I concur that suburbia might be a better fit.

Posted on: 2016/9/21 15:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I do pay for parking. It's called real estate taxes. Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Parking is still real estate. If you want to park, you should pay for that service.

Posted on: 2016/9/21 15:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/9/21 15:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Permits 24h permit parking would resolve a lot of this because people who can't get street permits (meaning, their building has parking) just park after business hours free and clear.

In the meantime, I trust that you are aware that you can get reduced monthly parking at the mall. Go for it.

If even that isn't acceptable, I concur that suburbia might be a better fit.

Posted on: 2016/9/21 15:17

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/18 18:53
From Near the water, but on the land
Group:
Registered Users
While the city intends to only offer permits to those in buildings without parking, the system has flaws. There are residents in some of those buildings who have recently been given permits. At some point it will be corrected. The legality of it is questionable, but that is another issue.

Posted on: 2016/9/21 14:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Bodipooh is correct, when you apply for a parking permit they have a database of all buildings with parking, you are only allowed a street parking permit if your building does not have parking or if you present a letter from the building saying the parking deck is full and there is no space available for your vehicle.

Hamilton Park parking has gradually been getting more difficult, a lot of spaces are out of action due to construction at the moment, so hopefully it will get better.

Robin.

Posted on: 2016/9/21 14:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
bodhipooh,

Thank you for that insight. I was clearly not aware of that. Unfortunately, one does not need a parking permit to park over night.

Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

You are wrong about that. Parking permits are ONLY available to residents of buildings *without* parking decks, whether parking is available free or for rent/purchase.

So, if a new building has gone up, and it has parking available, the residents of said building can not apply for on-street parking permits. The staff at the Parking Authority is VERY diligent about checking the address of those applying for permits against a list of buildings to ensure the person is entitled to a permit.

Posted on: 2016/9/21 14:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Bill, I disagree with you. I believe there will be sympathetic constituents. Before the excessive development, parking was not such a big issue. The developers used fast language in their development proposals to maintain that they would be providing parking in their buildings. However, when their sales people tell the potential customers that parking is in abundance in the neighborhood. Parking should be mandatory in all new developments to relieve the neighborhood.

Posted on: 2016/9/21 14:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sutherland wrote:
I realize that it would be impossible to deny street parking permits to residents of the new buildings, but something has to be done soon.

You are wrong about that. Parking permits are ONLY available to residents of buildings *without* parking decks, whether parking is available free or for rent/purchase.

So, if a new building has gone up, and it has parking available, the residents of said building can not apply for on-street parking permits. The staff at the Parking Authority is VERY diligent about checking the address of those applying for permits against a list of buildings to ensure the person is entitled to a permit.

Posted on: 2016/9/21 14:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Pretty sure you won't hear a sympathetic ear here. Parking issues are part of urban life, if you don't like it put your car in a garage. I started doing that in 2008, made life much better.

Posted on: 2016/9/21 14:14

Parking Issues Around Hamilton Park
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Parking around Hamilton Park is now at a crises point. The new developments that have gone up are housing more people who are parking on the street. While these buildings have parking available, apparently they do not come with the units. The burden on the local community is now overwhelming. The developers should have been required to make parking part of the rental or purchase deals. Certainly, they were given abatements. Now the local residents have to suffer. While not a total resolution to this problem, I believe that permit parking should be required 24 7 for anything more than 2 hours. I realize that it would be impossible to deny street parking permits to residents of the new buildings, but something has to be done soon.

Posted on: 2016/9/21 13:58

« 1 2 3 (4)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017