Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
132 user(s) are online (122 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 132

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Drop By Barcade to Support the Embankment Preservation Coalition
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/4 14:31
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Quote:

thor800 wrote:

Your point is that the city shouldnt spend money on anything but basic shit like parking lots/[quote]

It isn't, but I'm not surprised you're so stupid that you think that's my point.

[quote]and things like the highline which has brought world class attention to nyc

Bullshit. It's a tiny addition to the biggest tourist city in the entire country/hemisphere/world. Good for NYC, it's quite literally one of a thousand things to see and do as a tourist there.

Quote:
are a complete waste of money.

For this city? Yes it is

Quote:
Again the highline aspiration is a bit much for JC and i dont think its necessary for the embankment but theres still room for basic historic conservation especially for public green spaces without blowing obscene amounts of $.

Finally, some sense of reason...

Quote:
Bridges with stairs and fences wont cost millions of dollars and maintenance of the trail itself can be handled by volunteers.

Aaaaaaaand it's gone. You really have zero idea what infrastructure costs, do you. Go look it up. I'll wait.

Walking infrastructure how big ? 30 feet maybe ? Its not like they are building the friggin pulaski skyway.

Posted on: 2016/9/12 2:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

thor800 wrote:

Your point is that the city shouldnt spend money on anything but basic shit like parking lots/[quote]

It isn't, but I'm not surprised you're so stupid that you think that's my point.

[quote]and things like the highline which has brought world class attention to nyc

Bullshit. It's a tiny addition to the biggest tourist city in the entire country/hemisphere/world. Good for NYC, it's quite literally one of a thousand things to see and do as a tourist there.

Quote:
are a complete waste of money.

For this city? Yes it is

Quote:
Again the highline aspiration is a bit much for JC and i dont think its necessary for the embankment but theres still room for basic historic conservation especially for public green spaces without blowing obscene amounts of $.

Finally, some sense of reason...

Quote:
Bridges with stairs and fences wont cost millions of dollars and maintenance of the trail itself can be handled by volunteers.

Aaaaaaaand it's gone. You really have zero idea what infrastructure costs, do you. Go look it up. I'll wait.

Posted on: 2016/9/11 21:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/3 18:37
From DTJC
Group:
Banned
Quote:

thor800 wrote:

Your point is that the city shouldnt spend money on anything but basic shit like parking lots and things like the highline which has brought world class attention to nyc are a complete waste of money.

Again the highline aspiration is a bit much for JC and i dont think its necessary for the embankment but theres still room for basic historic conservation especially for public green spaces without blowing obscene amounts of $. Bridges with stairs and fences wont cost millions of dollars and maintenance of the trail itself can be handled by volunteers.

The last thing the city should do is develop it or turn it into a parking lot.

Kinda telling that the only other person that shares this view is Yvonne.

Posted on: 2016/9/11 15:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
i don't, but keep trying and failing. it's pretty funny when people try and make assumptions and fuck them up full 100. you take what might've been a passable insult and fuck it all up with inapplicable stupidity. that and you stupid fuckers can't even argue the substance of my point so you turn into little kids with the insults. you have no backbone, can't argue the point and can't even make a diss that makes sense.

but hey, keep it up, it makes me look better and you look dumber every time.

Your point is that the city shouldnt spend money on anything but basic shit like parking lots and things like the highline which has brought world class attention to nyc are a complete waste of money.

Again the highline aspiration is a bit much for JC and i dont think its necessary for the embankment but theres still room for basic historic conservation especially for public green spaces without blowing obscene amounts of $. Bridges with stairs and fences wont cost millions of dollars and maintenance of the trail itself can be handled by volunteers.

The last thing the city should do is develop it or turn it into a parking lot.

Posted on: 2016/9/11 14:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
i don't, but keep trying and failing. it's pretty funny when people try and make assumptions and fuck them up full 100. you take what might've been a passable insult and fuck it all up with inapplicable stupidity. that and you stupid fuckers can't even argue the substance of my point so you turn into little kids with the insults. you have no backbone, can't argue the point and can't even make a diss that makes sense.

but hey, keep it up, it makes me look better and you look dumber every time.

Posted on: 2016/9/11 13:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
i don't have any kids or a car, but thanks for playing. also i've been living in jersey city for 30 years, so you can SMD

Dont necessarily disagree with leaving it like it is but you still sound like a low brow hudson county neanderthal that longs for the days of trash everywhere and burnt out buildings.

So theres that

Posted on: 2016/9/11 1:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
i don't have any kids or a car, but thanks for playing. also i've been living in jersey city for 30 years, so you can SMD

Posted on: 2016/9/9 15:30

Edited by corybraiterman on 2016/9/9 15:56:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
The Highline Park in NYC is one of the true jewels of urban public parks in the country, if not the world.

I've seen plenty of bullshit written in my day (this election season has been particularly good for it, but I digress), but this is one of the dumbest pieces of it I've seen in a long while. It's good for one thing and one thing only. To walk in. Literally it. You can't ride a bike, bring your dog, play catch with your kid, hell, given its tourist appeal (because it's fukn downtown manhattan and not residential jersey city), you'll have a hard time jogging it. If memory serves, it is three times the size of the embankment and has one minuscule playground.

Aping the Highline here is the dumbest part of the stupid save the embankment BS that gets put out. Personally, I'd rather it stay the way it is, because at least the city isn't spending millions to build and maintain bridges, fences and entrances. Jewel of parks my ass. Fuck outta here.

Can't you just take the brats and your SUV and move to the suburbs already? What a low-class response...

Posted on: 2016/9/9 14:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/16 19:07
Group:
Registered Users
Just a reminder, what it's like up on the Embankment: embankment 3.jpg [!SCRIPT FILTERED!] embankment 24.jpg [!SCRIPT FILTERED!] embankment 2.jpg [!SCRIPT FILTERED!]

Posted on: 2016/9/8 17:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Some truth to this, it's narrow and crowded with tourists most of the time i.e. it ain't really a traditional park in any sense as other than walking along it and hopefully the embankment can prove more promising.

Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
The Highline Park in NYC is one of the true jewels of urban public parks in the country, if not the world.

I've seen plenty of bullshit written in my day (this election season has been particularly good for it, but I digress), but this is one of the dumbest pieces of it I've seen in a long while. It's good for one thing and one thing only. To walk in. Literally it. You can't ride a bike, bring your dog, play catch with your kid, hell, given its tourist appeal (because it's fukn downtown manhattan and not residential jersey city), you'll have a hard time jogging it. If memory serves, it is three times the size of the embankment and has one minuscule playground.

Aping the Highline here is the dumbest part of the stupid save the embankment BS that gets put out. Personally, I'd rather it stay the way it is, because at least the city isn't spending millions to build and maintain bridges, fences and entrances. Jewel of parks my ass. Fuck outta here.

Posted on: 2016/9/8 17:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:

Posted on: 2016/9/8 3:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
The Highline Park in NYC is one of the true jewels of urban public parks in the country, if not the world. It's an amazing synthesis of history, modern design, thoughtful, ecologically sensitive landscaping - IMO it's genius how it allows you to be enveloped by nature, yet experience the city fabric.

While, as a Heights resident who relies on mass transit, I agree the city's infrastructure needs are important, recent history has shown us development is not going to provide the tools to solve that problem. We shouldn't waste the opportunity to make something of the Embankment waiting for the city's basic needs - which have been poorly met seemingly forever - to be addressed. I think Jersey City desperately needs outdoor space that rises above the usual park, and achieves a certain level of aesthetics, if its going go move past being a "gritty" backwater to reaching it's full potential as a modern small city. Historic preservation certainly plays a big role in that. I'll be glad to be there and show my support.

Posted on: 2016/9/7 18:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Again you dont have to do the whole thing highline style - even just 2 or 3 bridges is enough and you can keep the landscaping natural which would cut down on maintenance.

Just dont develop it. Cities need interesting remainders of their history and even better if that be in the form of a green space. Tearing it down and making a parking lot would be a massive waste.

Posted on: 2016/9/7 2:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
And what, praytell, is your objection to a ground level park that will cost a lot less to build and maintain?

The few people on here can feel how you like, IDGAF, you're still wrong in thinking that's the best option. This is not a city without dire infrastructure needs. This is not a city without budget problems. Paying extra for superfluous bullshit is never the right answer, doubly so when faced with these issues.

Posted on: 2016/9/6 21:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nafco wrote:
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
yes, that would be the entire purpose of it. now local politics being the shithole that it is, obviously it would go to fund a couple dozen new beach homes for some cronies, but you can't operate under the (generally correct) assumption that monies raised will not actually be used for their intended effect.

here's the thing - no one loses anything. we've never had the use of that entire area since they demolished the connecting bridges what... 12? 15? years ago. even then, most people never went up there because there was nothing to do. people would lose that giant ugly wall that's been slowly crumbling and occasionally getting tagged. it'd be a lost opportunity if you really look at it like that, but no one's taking a park away from you or anyone else - just the opportunity to make all the taxpayers spend more money on an excessive design because building and maintaining 5 bridges, about 15 blocks worth of fencing, multiple entrance and exit points including ADA compliant ones is wrapped up in "we want moar park!"

fk that. get a ground level park. get nutbag yvonne happy and make one or two of those blocks a municipal/residential parking lot. spend the money on the shit we need rather than excessive futility.

nice things are nice. parks are nice. so's the new world trade center. it looks pretty. it sure wasn't worth the money.

Luckily, this line of thinking is in the minority as you can even see on this thread alone. Most people in this city understand there is a real dearth for public park space especially as more people are being added every year.

Once you get rid of open space and it becomes housing, it is much much harder to get it back for public use and the city becomes sterile without spaces for people to walk through, if possible at all. It is important to keep the small amount of public land we have now. There are still plenty of other lots that, if developed well, can be used for tall high rises.

in the post you quoted, he referenced turning it into a park.

Posted on: 2016/9/6 21:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/27 19:59
From journal square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
yes, that would be the entire purpose of it. now local politics being the shithole that it is, obviously it would go to fund a couple dozen new beach homes for some cronies, but you can't operate under the (generally correct) assumption that monies raised will not actually be used for their intended effect.

here's the thing - no one loses anything. we've never had the use of that entire area since they demolished the connecting bridges what... 12? 15? years ago. even then, most people never went up there because there was nothing to do. people would lose that giant ugly wall that's been slowly crumbling and occasionally getting tagged. it'd be a lost opportunity if you really look at it like that, but no one's taking a park away from you or anyone else - just the opportunity to make all the taxpayers spend more money on an excessive design because building and maintaining 5 bridges, about 15 blocks worth of fencing, multiple entrance and exit points including ADA compliant ones is wrapped up in "we want moar park!"

fk that. get a ground level park. get nutbag yvonne happy and make one or two of those blocks a municipal/residential parking lot. spend the money on the shit we need rather than excessive futility.

nice things are nice. parks are nice. so's the new world trade center. it looks pretty. it sure wasn't worth the money.

Luckily, this line of thinking is in the minority as you can even see on this thread alone. Most people in this city understand there is a real dearth for public park space especially as more people are being added every year.

Once you get rid of open space and it becomes housing, it is much much harder to get it back for public use and the city becomes sterile without spaces for people to walk through, if possible at all. It is important to keep the small amount of public land we have now. There are still plenty of other lots that, if developed well, can be used for tall high rises.

Posted on: 2016/9/6 20:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
The public did not have use of the Embankment when the bridges were there 12-15 years ago. It was abandoned right of way.

With Green Villan's vision for the Bergen Arches, the Embankment has potential to be part of something even larger. It's worth fighting for.

Couldnt agree more. Even if it takes a while, better than developing it like every other usable plot in the city for condos and luxury rentals

Posted on: 2016/9/5 19:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
The public did not have use of the Embankment when the bridges were there 12-15 years ago. It was abandoned right of way.

With Green Villan's vision for the Bergen Arches, the Embankment has potential to be part of something even larger. It's worth fighting for.

Posted on: 2016/9/5 15:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
i'm sure you think you're being clever, but smh you're 0 for 2 on this thread alone

Posted on: 2016/9/5 14:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
And if the price of tea in China changes, let me know. Until then I'll take your comparison of not building trains and not having an elevated park and wipe my ass with it
dude, you've been wiping your entire life and its still not clean?

Posted on: 2016/9/4 22:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
And if the price of tea in China changes, let me know. Until then I'll take your comparison of not building trains and not having an elevated park and wipe my ass with it

Posted on: 2016/9/4 21:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:

if some people had had their way, there would be no PATH, no Central park, no Grand Central Station, no George Washington bridge, no ACELA train service, .....

Posted on: 2016/9/4 17:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/9/4 14:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
rebuilding the bridges and fences along with the upkeep on them is a large cost. razing it and making them ground level parks would be a lot less costly in the long run if you really want another park. personally, i'd just rather sell it to a developer at a real price who has to adhere to current or near-current height restrictions and invest the money into infrastructure upgrades that are a lot more needed but a lot less glamorous than a park.

like the sewers that break every. single. year. and are getting more and more overworked as the city grows. but hey, fck me for a little practicality, ammirite?

Youre assuming that funds from selling the property would go directly into infrastracture upgrade which is a major stretch. The city should be doing this anyway.

Selling what remaining open green spaces are still around to fund basic amenities is not a sustainable plan and if you know the area at all, there have been new sewer and wster lines installed on 6th street and surrounding areas past few weeks.

Another park instead of new construction - imagine that practicality.

Posted on: 2016/9/4 12:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Our own Hi Line in DTJC would be kewl azz cucumbers & with a boot leg Dig Dug machine !!!

Ohh Happy Dayz .....

Posted on: 2016/9/4 4:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
rebuilding the bridges and fences along with the upkeep on them is a large cost. razing it and making them ground level parks would be a lot less costly in the long run if you really want another park. personally, i'd just rather sell it to a developer at a real price who has to adhere to current or near-current height restrictions and invest the money into infrastructure upgrades that are a lot more needed but a lot less glamorous than a park.

like the sewers that break every. single. year. and are getting more and more overworked as the city grows. but hey, fck me for a little practicality, ammirite?

Posted on: 2016/9/4 3:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Having a green space the size of the embankment is beneficial in numerous ways to the community.

Not supporting it because its an eyesore ? Very forward thinking

Posted on: 2016/9/4 3:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
it's not very deep. the embankment is an eyesore and barcade joined in the movement to kick the food trucks out. fck both of those things.

but hey, you've shown repeatedly that you're a petty donkey who likes to talk shit on said internet bulletin board. you can join a long line of people that can do things where the sun doesn't shine

Posted on: 2016/9/4 3:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/17 3:49
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
It takes a big man to trash somebody's bulletin board posting for a community organized event.

Good on you for digging deep and being that man!

Posted on: 2016/9/3 21:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Two things I'll never support in one location. Good to know

Posted on: 2016/9/3 21:12

« 1 (2) 3 »