Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
111 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 111

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 12 ... 43 »

Re: Jersey City mayor-elect orders end to citywide reval
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/22 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Oh look, a Trump supporter wants a delay and not pay their fare share. Typical scum lord.

Typical know it all liberal jumping to a baseless factless assumption.

Posted on: 2016/9/16 14:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Oh look, a Trump supporter wants a delay and not pay their fare share. Typical scum lord.

Posted on: 2016/9/16 10:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Delayed? Isn't it already about 25 years delayed??

Posted on: 2016/9/16 10:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

135jc wrote:
Is there any chance this gets delayed?

It's a very tight timetable, but the city doesn't have any options after the state dropped the hammer. I suspect that despite the unlikely timeframe, we will see updated tax bills for 2018 (based on the reval being completed in late 2017).

Posted on: 2016/9/16 4:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/22 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
Is there any chance this gets delayed?

Posted on: 2016/9/16 3:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Fulop smeared Brian O'Reilly's reputation accusing him of rigging the process. During the court proceedings, city workers said Brian O' Reilly was not part of the process. Now there is someone who is part of the process. O'Donnell receives contracts from the city, is on the team to pick the company and then chooses a company from his building. Ironically, we are still spending city money going after the reval company picked under Healy.

Posted on: 2016/9/16 0:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City council OKs $4.4M reval contract

By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal
On September 15, 2016 at 4:34 PM, updated September 15, 2016 at 4:37 PM

JERSEY CITY ? The City Council last night approved a $4.4 million contract to a Morristown firm that will oversee the city's first property revaluation in 28 years.

The $4,395,358 bid by Appraisal Systems was one of three submitted to the city, which was ordered by state taxation officials in April to complete the long-stalled reval by November 2017. The process brings every property's assessed value in line with its market value.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... t.html#incart_river_index

Posted on: 2016/9/15 23:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/4 21:55
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I am sorry I won't have the time to go to the city council meeting but in my opinion Matthew O'Donnell voting record raises serious questions. A competent outside council should be able to balance the bids and come up for himself/herself with numbers that are in between 0 to 100 and reflect the true cost/benefits of each bidding company. This suggests that either Matthew O'Donnell did not do his job or is biased. If he wants to explain himself on this forum fine, because otherwise at this point it feels like some healysh practices running anew.

Posted on: 2016/9/14 0:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users

Jersey City council to OK $4.3M reval contract

By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal

on September 13, 2016 at 6:28 PM, updated September 13, 2016 at 6:41 PM

The long-stalled Jersey City property revaluation will be one step closer to beginning anew tomorrow, when the City Council is set to vote on a $4.4 million contract with a Morristown appraisal company selected to oversee the process.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... t.html#incart_river_index

Posted on: 2016/9/13 23:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stateaidguy wrote:

A more valid and much more damning argument is to compare the Abbotts with high-FRL non-Abbotts who spend $7k-$10k less per student and lack any Pre-K.

When the most severely underfunded and demographically poor non-Abbotts, including East Newark, Freehold Boro, Red Bank Boro, and Fairview, do just as well as the best funded Abbotts, there is something fundamentally wrong with the Abbott Hypothesis.

I maintain that if tomorrow all government funding for schools disappeared: The kids who are currently getting a good education would still get it. Parents and the kids themselves matter more than the schools themselves or how much is spent.

And no.. I don't expect funding to disappear, unless we have some society shattering event (Carrington Flare, Younger Dryas comet impact, etc.)

Posted on: 2016/8/31 21:34

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/15 18:48
From One of the Oranges
Group:
Registered Users

It's Christie's own fault that Asbury Park still gets $24,000 a student.

Asbury gets $24,000 a student because of Adjustment Aid, not because of SFRA per or Abbott per se.

If it weren't for Adjustment Aid, Asbury Park would only get $13,500 per student.

Christie has the de facto power to cut Adjustment Aid and even did this in 2012-13.

I cannot believe the legislature would object to cutting Adjustment Aid for Asbury Park. Asbury Park's own representatives also represent Freehold and Red Bank Boros and are strongly pro-reform.

Posted on: 2016/8/31 19:22

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From One of the Oranges
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Quote:

stateaidguy wrote:
If anyone is curious about how 99 Hudson will impact JC's taxes, I have a post about it here:

http://njeducationaid.blogspot.com/20 ... -citys-new-unpiloted.html

People say that PILOTed buildings "rob the schools," but it would be more accurate (if still exaggerated) to say that PILOTed buildings "rob the taxpayers."

99 Hudson's unPILOTedness is great for JC taxpayers, but it might not necessarily have any impact on the municipal and school budgets.

Thanks SAG! I'm going to be unpopular but I'm actually happy with this proposal from CC. I don't hope this proposal passes, but at least it gets a debate going on an appropriate and fair school aid funding formula.

Oh, I'm profoundly disappointed by Christie's proposal because it points the debate in the wrong directions.

Christie shifts between two unrelated arguments about state aid without apparently realizing that he's doing so.

As Christie said on June 21st:

"No child?s dreams are less worthy than any others. No child deserves less funding from the state?s taxpayers. That goal must be reached, especially after watching the last 30 years of failed governmental engineering which has failed families in the 31 SDA [Abbott] districts and taxpayers all across New Jersey."

So...

a. Christie argues against progressive aid in general. (a view I find despicable.)

b. Christie argues against Abbott and the NJ Supreme Court and says the NJSC "overcorrected." (a view I broadly agree with.)

What's misleading about this line of argument is that most of the districts who would lose aid under Christie's proposal are not Abbotts and their aid has nothing to do with the NJ Supreme Court. For instance, Dover gets $9,551 per student; Paulsboro gets $11,725 per student, Prospect Park gets $8,995 per student etc. The aid these districts get has been determined by the legislature and executive, not the NJ Supreme Court.

Although I think aid targets for high-FRL districts are not affordable and are beyond the point of diminishing returns, the above three districts get much less than they need and their total spending is only $10k-$13k per student.

Christie also makes a serious error in how he attempts to demonstrate the ineffectiveness of Abbott spending by comparing Abbott districts with charter schools in Abbott districts.

This is not a valid comparison because charter school students are self-selected and non-representative. Yes, charters spend less than district schools, but they have different populations.

A more valid and much more damning argument is to compare the Abbotts with high-FRL non-Abbotts who spend $7k-$10k less per student and lack any Pre-K.

When the most severely underfunded and demographically poor non-Abbotts, including East Newark, Freehold Boro, Red Bank Boro, and Fairview, do just as well as the best funded Abbotts, there is something fundamentally wrong with the Abbott Hypothesis.

http://njeducationaid.blogspot.com/20 ... has-been-ineffective.html

http://njeducationaid.blogspot.com/20 ... ctiveness-elementary.html

http://njeducationaid.blogspot.com/20 ... -excellence-of-dover.html

Christie also ignores the most unfair aspects of the Abbott regime, which are the Abbott monopoly on Pre-K and 100% state funding for Abbott construction.

Christie ignores that the real victims of Abbott are poor non-Abbotts, from Clifton to Lakewood to Egg Harbor City to Bayonne to Belleville.

The plights of these districts is the most unfair thing about the Abbott Regime, not that suburban and Shore towns like South Orange and Margate have high taxes.

It is Christie's own fault that the Abbott list hasn't been updated.

The governor and legislature have the power to update the Abbott list, but Christie has neglected to do this.

Posted on: 2016/8/31 19:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Except this particular property is unabated.

Thanks for the restrained response. I couldn't have done it.

I had a complete brain fart and got my addresses confused. :/

Posted on: 2016/8/31 16:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
The unabated property at 99 Hudson and its 781 units will be a boon for the ratable base. These are being marketed as luxury condominiums so an average assessed value of $750,000 is on the low end.

781 units x $750,000 = $585,750,000

$585,750,000 x 2.2% assessed rate = $12,886,500 in annual property taxes. That's a no small boon for the budget.

Police is the biggest cost driver in the budget and this area is already well serviced by police, so I don't expect there will be a similar jump in the cost to provide city services.

Sadly, the impact on the overall budget will be close to nil, or maybe even negative. Why, you ask?

Abated properties pay a reduced tax, but (essentially) all of it goes to the city coffers. Once the abatement expires, the tax being paid is shared among the county, BOE and the city. If they were paying an abated rate of, say, 1.7%, the city will definitely end up collecting less revenue from those units once their abatement expires.

Oops. I got my addresses confused!

Posted on: 2016/8/31 16:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stateaidguy wrote:
If anyone is curious about how 99 Hudson will impact JC's taxes, I have a post about it here:

People say that PILOTed buildings "rob the schools," but it would be more accurate (if still exaggerated) to say that PILOTed buildings "rob the taxpayers."

99 Hudson's unPILOTedness is great for JC taxpayers, but it might not necessarily have any impact on the municipal and school budgets.

Thanks SAG! I'm going to be unpopular but I'm actually happy with this proposal from CC. I don't hope this proposal passes, but at least it gets a debate going on an appropriate and fair school aid funding formula.

Posted on: 2016/8/31 16:20

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From One of the Oranges
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/8/31 15:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:

Thanks for the restrained response. I couldn't have done it.

Posted on: 2016/8/31 15:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
The unabated property at 99 Hudson and its 781 units will be a boon for the ratable base. These are being marketed as luxury condominiums so an average assessed value of $750,000 is on the low end.

$585,750,000 x 2.2% assessed rate = $12,886,500 in annual property taxes. That's a no small boon for the budget.

Police is the biggest cost driver in the budget and this area is already well serviced by police, so I don't expect there will be a similar jump in the cost to provide city services.

Sadly, the impact on the overall budget will be close to nil, or maybe even negative. Why, you ask?

Abated properties pay a reduced tax, but (essentially) all of it goes to the city coffers. Once the abatement expires, the tax being paid is shared among the county, BOE and the city. If they were paying an abated rate of, say, 1.7%, the city will definitely end up collecting less revenue from those units once their abatement expires.

Posted on: 2016/8/31 13:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

What has been the change in revenue say for the Newport Mall since its abatement expired?

Posted on: 2016/8/31 12:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:

Posted on: 2016/8/31 11:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/8/30 20:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
They have been constantly ripping up the roads west to east over the past couple of years installing huge sewer lines. Last I checked - they were ripping up 6th street (again?). PSE&G have also been through most of downtown "hardening" their gas lines in the past few months.

Time will tell if it's enough - but can't claim they've done nothing since Sandy.

They're not doing my street. Someone at the MUA claimed it was fine in their survey, even though when the MUA ran a cam down it 18 years ago they reported a 18" diameter brick sewer filled with longitudinal and offset cracks.

Looks like they are digging up Grand St. between Grove and Marin this week. Does anyone know if this is sewer related? God knows, that block is one of the worst for flooding.

Posted on: 2016/8/29 19:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
They have been constantly ripping up the roads west to east over the past couple of years installing huge sewer lines. Last I checked - they were ripping up 6th street (again?). PSE&G have also been through most of downtown "hardening" their gas lines in the past few months.

Time will tell if it's enough - but can't claim they've done nothing since Sandy.

They're not doing my street. Someone at the MUA claimed it was fine in their survey, even though when the MUA ran a cam down it 18 years ago they reported a 18" diameter brick sewer filled with longitudinal and offset cracks.

Posted on: 2016/8/29 19:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Does City Hall have a plan to fix the sewer issues? If they're going to continue to give tax breaks for thousands of new apartments you'd think that would be part of the equation . . .

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... anned_on_jersey_city.html
http://hudsonreporter.com/view/full_s ... ements?instance=top_story

Posted on: 2016/8/29 17:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Does City Hall have a plan to fix the sewer issues? If they're going to continue to give tax breaks for thousands of new apartments you'd think that would be part of the equation . . .

I don't think anyone involved in City Hall is planning on sticking around long enough to care.

This place is a stepping stone to higher ambitions, nothing more.

Unfortunately the other way doesn't work either, Healy was a Company Man, only there to the right wheels got greased for the HCDO and their developer patrons.

Posted on: 2016/8/29 2:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

I don't think anyone involved in City Hall is planning on sticking around long enough to care.

This place is a stepping stone to higher ambitions, nothing more.

Posted on: 2016/8/29 1:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

100% agree with this! There is no reason why the city council shouldn't or couldn't demand that all new developments pay into a general fund earmarked for sewer repairs and improvements. I'm not well versed in NJ laws in this regard, but I know that in NY (and, other states) agreements are often struck in which a developer agrees to pay huge sums to add or modify highway exits or other roads (including repaving of entire areas!) as part of an official quid pro quo to gain approval of variances or building approvals. If every recent or current development had been required to contribute 100K into a general fund for sewer repairs or improvements, such a fund would already have over 3 million dollars. Admittedly, that wouldn't be enough money to fix the problem, but it would be a start. It's time to get creative in dealing with our problems.

Posted on: 2016/8/28 22:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/8/28 19:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
the good news is that property prices are rising throughout jersey city which should help ameliorate increased tax burden on dt homeowners

Admittedly, this belongs in another thread, but the problem is we have a system that makes money vanish. Whether it's taxes for schools or sewers, it seems no matter how much goes in, dysfunction comes out.

Perhaps when DT was a slum it was ok to say sewers and streets that flood from normal multi-annual events are just the way it is, but can you tell that to someone who just bought a $2m brownstone? They'll try, but people like that are either lawyers or know some well. Hopefully the days of using all of DT's sewer system and streets as a holding tank are numbered.

Posted on: 2016/8/28 18:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
the good news is that property prices are rising throughout jersey city which should help ameliorate increased tax burden on dt homeowners

Posted on: 2016/8/28 18:16

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 12 ... 43 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017