Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
93 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 93

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: New Jersey and New York at war over replacing Port Authority Bus Terminal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
i was watching "get smart" and was surprised to hear agent max mention the union city bus terminal. i never knew one existed. any info, pics?

Posted on: 2017/1/23 7:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The idea of the Port Authority has been for mass transportation, bus stations are just one part of this overall plan. The real problem, Port Authority got involved in creating buildings. The reason for the price increases in the PATH and tunnels. They lost their mission.

Once again, you are incorrect, at least about everything but them losing their mission. The PA was formed to build a trans-Hudson freight crossing, a job it has failed to do for a century. They then got into airports, shipping ports and vehicular Hudson crossings. The bus terminals came 30 years later and in the 60's they were dragged against their will into owning PATH, a condition of building the WTC.

Posted on: 2016/8/15 15:59

Edited by brewster on 2016/8/15 16:15:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Could closing the PA bus terminal in Manhattan devastate property values in the Heights?

If you type in a larger font, I'll give you my answer

Posted on: 2016/8/15 0:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
The idea of the Port Authority has been for mass transportation, bus stations are just one part of this overall plan. The real problem, Port Authority got involved in creating buildings. The reason for the price increases in the PATH and tunnels. They lost their mission.

Posted on: 2016/8/14 19:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Could closing the PA bus terminal in Manhattan devastate property values in the Heights?
there is no discussion about closing pant...only about replacing it. I think many heights dwellers take the jitneys, hblr and path to get to my.

Also. You do realize pant is the busiest bus terminal in the world?

Posted on: 2016/8/14 18:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/8/14 17:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MDM wrote:
I think though I would have a better chance of seeing a herd of unicorns galloping up JFK Blvd that what I described above happening.

Which is why I'll stick with my plan for Bus Rapid Transit on Summit from JSQ to PA 42nd st. It'll step on some toes, but it's actually doable at a reasonable cost. And it gets you into the city in one seat northbound, your subway ends in NB unless you're including a Hudson tunnel in your dreaming.

How about this over/under elevated monorail running up Central? Looks great except for the sci-fi rails of apparently unlimited strength. But I like the light footprint idea, of not turning the street into a cave like the old Ell's in Brooklyn still do.

Resized Image

Resized Image

http://jacob-innovations.com/cTrain.html

Posted on: 2016/8/13 22:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:

Drawing lines on a map is fun, till you see the numbers for tunneling. 2.7 billion per mile for the 2nd ave, and that wasn't even underwater.

I would love to have a tunnel dug from the Bergen Arches under Central Avenue all the way to North Bergen.. for an HBLR subway.

There is no way to cost justify it currently. Maybe if prevailing wage laws were dropped and the cost was born in part by the builders of R-4 sized developments (above the station)..... maybe....

I think though I would have a better chance of seeing a herd of unicorns galloping up JFK Blvd that what I described above happening.

Posted on: 2016/8/13 22:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I am certain there were people who thought path was a colossal waste if money when it was built. Maybe the 2nd avenue subway does cost $3 billion per mile, but divide that by 100 years or 150.

Posted on: 2016/8/13 22:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
There are actually a lot of interesting ideas out there for extending the 7 train to NJ. My concern is the most talked about plan would have it go to Secaucus Transfer, bypassing the JC/Hoboken area.

I found this blog, which has, IMO, a brilliant suggestion for a 7 route through Hoboken and Jersey City. As someone who takes a bus into NYC on a regular basis, I would be completely on board with being able to walk or bike somewhere to get on the subway: http://www.vanshnookenraggen.com/_ind ... secaucus/#imageclose-1525

Drawing lines on a map is fun, till you see the numbers for tunneling. 2.7 billion per mile for the 2nd ave, and that wasn't even underwater.

Quote:
When it comes to megaprojects in New York, lowballing is only half the problem. At $1.4 billion, Fulton Center ?avoided becoming the most expensive subway station on earth only because the World Trade Center PATH station next door took that crown,? wrote Stephen Smith on the urbanism-focused website Next City. ?The 7 train extension won?t become the world?s most expensive subway on a per-mile basis only because that honor belongs to the Second Avenue subway.? It is a sign of how ordinary cost overruns have become in New York that such boondoggles receive relatively little attention. The only New York politician in recent memory who?s attempted to grapple with the issue is New York City comptroller Scott Stringer, who noted in a speech back in 2011, when he was running for mayor, ?The first phase of the Second Avenue subway is costing $2.7 billion per mile of new tunnel. The extension of the 7 line from Times Square to the Javits Center is costing $2.1 billion per mile.?

http://www.politico.com/states/new-yo ... s-are-unbelievable-000000

Posted on: 2016/8/13 21:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
There are actually a lot of interesting ideas out there for extending the 7 train to NJ. My concern is the most talked about plan would have it go to Secaucus Transfer, bypassing the JC/Hoboken area.

I found this blog, which has, IMO, a brilliant suggestion for a 7 route through Hoboken and Jersey City. As someone who takes a bus into NYC on a regular basis, I would be completely on board with being able to walk or bike somewhere to get on the subway: http://www.vanshnookenraggen.com/_ind ... secaucus/#imageclose-1525

Posted on: 2016/8/13 19:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/16 6:03
From DT JC
Group:
Registered Users
I so concur - it is VERY discouraging. The figure I recall for the PATH extension to EWR was over a billion to go less than a mile on track that already exists.... And then there's the $4 billion cost of the "what were they thinking" WTC transit hub - described by none less than the former PA Executive director Pat Foye as a "symbol of excess".... Such a mess.

Posted on: 2016/8/12 19:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
The problem with NJT, PA, or any other government agency building new rail (to service a new NJ bus terminal) is it costs so much when they do anything. I am still nonplussed every time I see the cost of just extending the PATH, over an existing right of way to Newark airport. Expanding the light rail in Newark cost something like $270 million (I don't have the exact number in front of me) for a couple miles of track.

Two years ago, I worked on a project involving a major capital equipment improvement at a hospital. When working out budgetary pricing for the work, the budget was 270% higher than the private sector (government run hospital vs. private hospital). Sadly, a lot of the improvements because of the added cost, became non-viable economically and were dropped from the scope of work.

Posted on: 2016/8/12 19:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/16 6:03
From DT JC
Group:
Registered Users
Wouldn't it be great to co-mingle PA's strong desire to get rid of PATH, NY's strong desire to get rid of the PA bus terminal, and the critical need for better transit, at a time of record low long-term borrowing costs into a single mega-plan to:

1. Extend the subway(s) across the Hudson river into NJ
2. Move the PA bus terminal into NJ next to the new subway line/s
3. Extend that subway further into NJ to allow removal of the overcrowded JSQ / HOB / 33rd line
4. Transfer ?ownership? of the WTC line to the MTA ? basically making it another subway line.

It could be that everyone gets something they want. The long-suffering, transit riding public gets the subway extended into NJ, with increased capacity to match demand. NYC gets rid of the mid-town PA bus terminal forever. Bus riders get a new terminal next to the new subway to get into NYC, and PA gets rid of PATH.

And how to pay for all this? PA getting rid of PATH saves them $400 million a year. Surely some of that saving could be used to pay interest on a bond issue to fund a portion of the work. Long-term interest rates are at record lows, so a couple of hundred million a year would go a long way. And just how much is that NYC real estate the PA bus terminal sits on worth...? It might pay for a good amount of the work. Maybe a modest $1 surcharge on trans-Hudson subway trips will sweeten the deal for the MTA. Some of the gas-tax increase that will eventually happen.... Dream on....

Posted on: 2016/8/12 19:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
The only thing that possibly makes sense is moving the long haul buses to a different location. Moving the commuter buses from a location near the tunnel and half the subway lines is pure idiocy.

User, as someone who has stated a pathological antipathy to using buses, you don't get an opinion. It's like a vegetarian stating their opinion of what's the best cut of steak.

The article says NY is threatening a 10-15 year lawsuit if the current plan proceeds. Seems like this will be a huge mess one way or the other.

Posted on: 2016/8/12 18:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
The only thing that possibly makes sense is moving the long haul buses to a different location. Moving the commuter buses from a location near the tunnel and half the subway lines is pure idiocy.

User, as someone who has stated a pathological antipathy to using buses, you don't get an opinion. It's like a vegetarian stating their opinion of what's the best cut of steak.

I was being a Trumpster, sarcastic and trolling. I don't care where they put it. It does not effect me.

Posted on: 2016/8/12 18:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2016/8/12 18:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Put it Queens, The Bronx, or Staten Island.

Posted on: 2016/8/12 17:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
i think the port authority should keep the existing terminal and buildi a smaller annex somewhere else in mitown. ideally his new, smaller annex could accomodate double decker buses and would be connected to the 7 train.

Posted on: 2016/8/12 17:20

New Jersey and New York at war over replacing Port Authority Bus Terminal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
If New York gets its way, people who otherwise would have taken the bus into Manhattan will be forced to use the PATH, NJ Transit, or car. This would overload the NJ systems, hurt property values, and encourage more people to just move to NY.

New Jersey and New York at war over replacing Port Authority Bus Terminal

It?s official, New Jersey and New York are now at war over replacing the Port Authority Bus Terminal.

In a strongly worded letter, 20 of New Jersey?s most powerful elected officials told Port Authority leaders on Thursday that they expect the agency to keep the promise, made by its board of commissioners in March, to build a new bus terminal on the west side of Manhattan.

The move comes in response to city and state leaders in New York, who vowed last month to sue the Port Authority if the agency moves to build a new bus terminal near the current one, at the corner of 8th Avenue and 42nd Street. Many leaders on the east side of the Hudson River favor a smaller terminal farther from Midtown. That would require many of the 230,000 daily commuters who use the existing terminal to find new ways into New York, either by car or train.

http://www.northjersey.com/news/new-j ... ty-bus-terminal-1.1644359

Posted on: 2016/8/12 17:07

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017