Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
115 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 115

more...

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 7 8 9 (10) 11 12 13 ... 60 »

Re: PATH (pathetic attempt at transporting humans)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

baxtyre wrote:
Quote:

On_The_3rd wrote:
By far the longest I've ever been stuck this a.m. due to a sick passenger, was a baby being delivered on the train?

I always thought "sick passenger" was code for "police presence", so as not to make people panic

That is my mis-quote, I should have said "medical emergency."

Posted on: 2016/8/18 16:12

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/12/26 1:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

On_The_3rd wrote:
By far the longest I've ever been stuck this a.m. due to a sick passenger, was a baby being delivered on the train?

I always thought "sick passenger" was code for "police presence", so as not to make people panic

Posted on: 2016/8/18 15:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

On_The_3rd wrote:

If you were having a medical emergency on a train, would you want to be yanked off and dumped on the platform?

(And yes, I also got stuck this morning.)

Actually, the MTA goes to great lengths to educate people about this and has always encouraged people to get off trains and onto platform to make it easier for help/assistance to reach you.

OK, let me clarify.

? I don't know the details. I only know that there was some kind of medical emergency, and a fairly long delay.

? I don't think anyone would say "in a medical emergency, the person having the problem should be yanked off the train ASAP so that other commuters won't be late."

I'd also hope most people would understand that it can take more than 30 seconds to deal with a passenger experiencing a medical issue.

? That said, the train is rather unlikely to stop any longer than is necessary.

As to MTA's policies, their going to "great lengths" is basically a poster on the subway, telling you to get off the train if you can -- and if you can't, you should get a transit employee to assist you. An informal summary of their policies, from the NYT:

Workers are instructed not to move riders who cannot walk off the train on their own and to wait for emergency medical workers to assess the patient. If the passenger can step off the train, someone else ? a friend, a worker or a police officer ? must stay until help arrives. Otherwise, the conductor must stay with the rider, and the train may have to be pulled out of service....

?It?s the golden rule,? he said. ?If you got sick, would you want someone to step over you and say, ?I?m late to get to Macy?s???

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/24/nyr ... -sick-passenger.html?_r=0

Posted on: 2016/8/18 15:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

On_The_3rd wrote:

If you were having a medical emergency on a train, would you want to be yanked off and dumped on the platform?

Actually, the MTA goes to great lengths to educate people about this and has always encouraged people to get off trains and onto platform to make it easier for help/assistance to reach you.

Posted on: 2016/8/18 14:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

On_The_3rd wrote:

Being yanked and dumped sounds like extreme behavior from my fellow passengers, but yes, i'd want to get off the train as soon as possible.

Posted on: 2016/8/18 14:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

On_The_3rd wrote:

Posted on: 2016/8/18 14:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/8/18 14:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Is it pretty much all stores that are opening this week?

I'm excited for Beer Table, which will become by far the easiest beer from which to access beers not distributed to NJ.

Posted on: 2016/8/16 2:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nafco wrote:
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
I've spent plenty of time looking around at my fellow PATH riders, and that's why I'm not buying the theory that the PA wants us walking by those ritzy new shops. Most of us won't be stopping by to pick up a Bulgari watch on our way to Lincoln Center.

Right!? I walk through the Oculus every day to and from work, and have started to pay attention to the stores that are getting ready to open. I had hoped it would be something along the lines of Grand Central - higher end, yes, but accessible - O & Co., Papyrus. I'm really surprised to see the stores in the Oculus - Kate Spade, Gucci, Longines, etc. I agree - PA (or is it Westfield's decision) seems to have paid zero attention to the demographics of the PATH riders.

I'm curious what other people think - is this supposed to become a destination for the surrounding Wall Street crowd?

I hope it all flops and Westfield loses tons of money.

Why? Even if most 'common people' dont shop there, higher end retail means higher rents, and if they can make $1 billion of the $4 billion they spent back, they are at least on the way to charging retailers instead of commuters. Im sure they will squander that money but I would rather them get some income from someone who isnt the working class commuter or tax dollars to fund whatever it is they do.

It's not just rent! Most malls have intricate contracts with retailers that involve paying not just a monthly rent, but also a percentage of total sales. So, if this place is a runaway success, the PA could end up generating a ton of money not just in rents.

Also, the idea that this place will fail is silly, at best. Despite all the naysayers in here, this mall be a huge success. Downtown Manhattan now attracts a lot more tourists and even locals. More and more people are moving down there, and there will be tons of people coming to Westfield Place to shop.

Posted on: 2016/8/15 16:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/27 19:59
From journal square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
I've spent plenty of time looking around at my fellow PATH riders, and that's why I'm not buying the theory that the PA wants us walking by those ritzy new shops. Most of us won't be stopping by to pick up a Bulgari watch on our way to Lincoln Center.

Right!? I walk through the Oculus every day to and from work, and have started to pay attention to the stores that are getting ready to open. I had hoped it would be something along the lines of Grand Central - higher end, yes, but accessible - O & Co., Papyrus. I'm really surprised to see the stores in the Oculus - Kate Spade, Gucci, Longines, etc. I agree - PA (or is it Westfield's decision) seems to have paid zero attention to the demographics of the PATH riders.

I'm curious what other people think - is this supposed to become a destination for the surrounding Wall Street crowd?

Why? Even if most 'common people' dont shop there, higher end retail means higher rents, and if they can make $1 billion of the $4 billion they spent back, they are at least on the way to charging retailers instead of commuters. Im sure they will squander that money but I would rather them get some income from someone who isnt the working class commuter or tax dollars to fund whatever it is they do.

Posted on: 2016/8/15 16:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Quote:

JCishome wrote:

Posted on: 2016/8/14 19:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
By Larry Higgs | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on August 11, 2016 at 11:22 AM, updated August 11, 2016 at 4:13 PM
Stay connected to NJ.com ?
Commuters will be able to stop and shop starting Tuesday in many of the 100 stores that surround the soccer field sized plaza of the World Trade Center Transportation hub.

Many of the Westfield Corporation's 100 stores and shops are scheduled to open at noon. A free family day celebration will be held by retailers until 6 p.m., along with hourly performances in the Oculus. PATH officials also will open entrances to the hub from Greenwich and Church streets at noon.

The Port Authority sold the 365,000 square feet of retail space to Westfield for $1.4 billion, said Steve Coleman, an authority spokesman. Westfield plans to open the majority of the 100 shops on Tuesday, with some others, such as Hawksmoor London steakhouse, Dior Cosmetics and H&M scheduled to open at a later date, the company said in a release.

Among the retailers opening next week is a coveted Apple Store, and many high-end retailers such as Hugo Boss, Kate Spade, London Jewelers, Breitling, and Eataly. A full list of stores can be found on Westfield's website.

Daily commuters will have several coffee shops to choose from including Starbucks, Dunkin' Donuts and, of course, a Duane-Reade drug store.

The $4 billion transportation hub had a soft opening in March, followed by a late May ceremony to open a connection to New York City subway lines and additional PATH entrances opened in June.

By 2017, about 300,000 daily commuters, in addition to tourists and shoppers are expected to use the transportation hub, after it is connected to ferries and the World Financial Center.

for the record, I will shop here.

http://www.nj.com/traffic/index.ssf/2 ... ll.html#incart_river_home

Posted on: 2016/8/13 22:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/5 16:03
From PAD
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:

I guess we should look on the bright side - if this latest play pen for Manhattan's 1%'ers is a success, maybe the Calatrava money pit won't be as big a fiasco, and further drag down PATH with it!

Probably just as much a play for the tourist swarm. What better way to honor the memorial and those who died in the 9/11 attacks than to buy some Ferragamo loafers!

Posted on: 2016/8/11 17:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Voyeur wrote:
Wall Streeters should be pulling out their Amex Centurion cards for next Tuesday, when the first of the stores are scheduled to open.

http://nypost.com/2016/08/10/westfiel ... -for-wtc-shopping-center/

The only kind of cards us JC scabs will be expected to pull out are our Metrocards...

I guess we should look on the bright side - if this latest play pen for Manhattan's 1%'ers is a success, maybe the Calatrava money pit won't be as big a fiasco, and further drag down PATH with it!

Posted on: 2016/8/11 12:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Voyeur wrote:
Wall Streeters should be pulling out their Amex Centurion cards for next Tuesday, when the first of the stores are scheduled to open.

The only kind of cards us JC scabs will be expected to pull out are our Metrocards...

Are Wall Streeters the target demographic or it it the foreigners who snap up NYC real estate at any price (some of whom are surely engaging in money laundering)?

Posted on: 2016/8/10 20:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/12 17:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/8/10 20:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
I work in Brookfield Place, and yeah - it's been transformed into a high-end mall full of overpriced crap. I got to talking with a woman who works at for Kate Spade, and she was saying that locations like that aren't designed to make money - they're just showcases and good addresses.

Exactly! Just like so many places open by Times Square, or other high profile locations: they seldom make a profit. The mere location presence is meant to act as advertising for the brand/product. But, don't underestimate their sales volume. Some locations do make a ton of money, they just don't turn much of a profit because of the expenses involved. Regardless, they are considered a huge success if they can help grow brand awareness, and sales through other channels.

Posted on: 2016/8/10 19:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
I work in Brookfield Place, and yeah - it's been transformed into a high-end mall full of overpriced crap. I got to talking with a woman who works at for Kate Spade, and she was saying that locations like that aren't designed to make money - they're just showcases and good addresses.

Posted on: 2016/8/10 19:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Quote:

JCishome wrote:

Why do both of you assume that the target customer for this mall is the average PATH rider?? Have either of you been to Brookfield Place? It is connected to the PATH via underground tunnel, but they sure as heck don't think of PATH commuters as their target demographic. It used to be a weird collection of meh restaurants, and average shops, and it sucked badly. They decided to make it into a destination shopping area with high end stores and good restaurants and it is more crowded now, and they seem to be doing just fine. Westfield Place is aiming for the same style of consumer and success. I am sure they will be successful. After all, they are right next to the WTC buildings, a stone throw away from Wall Street, and what has become an increasingly affluent area of town.

Posted on: 2016/8/10 19:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Quote:

JCishome wrote:

What's especially funny is the contrast with the massively douchey quote from the WTC architect about his structure being the highlight of the day for the many plebes who take the PATH. Really seems like no one associated with the PA knows what the hell they're doing.

Posted on: 2016/8/10 18:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Quote:

JCishome wrote:

The PA was clear from the beginning that this was aimed at high-end retailers. Foreign tourists (and wealthy Tribecans) will make it the next SoHo (or that's the hope, anyway). I was surprised to see that there are some mid-price stores at all (Devon and Blakely and Skechers are in the tunnel to Brookfield Place, and there's a Duane Reade somewhere in there).

Posted on: 2016/8/10 18:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/5 16:03
From PAD
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

Why would you think the PA will complete this project by the stated deadline? Call me jaded, but I am very much inclined to believe this will continue well into 2017. But, I guess time will tell.

I sure hope so. The increased frequency of WTC trains, along with the new WTC station, Fulton Center, etc, is super convenient... and I'm usually going to 14th or 33rd St. Sure, it costs a MetroCard swipe more, but it's faster to some places since there's no stop in Hoboken.

Posted on: 2016/8/10 18:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:

Posted on: 2016/8/10 18:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/20 13:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

geniusofthecrowd wrote:
My wife and I tried to get back to WTC on the 14th st. shuttle Saturday night. We waited 20 minutes in line and then nobody was able to get on because it was too full. There was a shuttle rep there, but he didn't have any information on when the next shuttle would arrive or if it would have enough space to get on it. We gave up and got a Uber after that waste of time, I have less of a problem spending the $ when I am frustrated and pissed off.

Judging by the permanent looking PATH shuttle signs on the bus poles, this is already planned to last more than 4 months.

I don't know how many times I have to say the same thing, but right from the beginning it was announced that there will be closures in 2017. This is NOT just a 4 month thing.

You don't have to say it at all, it's not your job or anything. Jesus.

Posted on: 2016/8/9 14:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

geniusofthecrowd wrote:
My wife and I tried to get back to WTC on the 14th st. shuttle Saturday night. We waited 20 minutes in line and then nobody was able to get on because it was too full. There was a shuttle rep there, but he didn't have any information on when the next shuttle would arrive or if it would have enough space to get on it. We gave up and got a Uber after that waste of time, I have less of a problem spending the $ when I am frustrated and pissed off.

Judging by the permanent looking PATH shuttle signs on the bus poles, this is already planned to last more than 4 months.

I don't know how many times I have to say the same thing, but right from the beginning it was announced that there will be closures in 2017. This is NOT just a 4 month thing.

Posted on: 2016/8/8 22:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mastablasta wrote:
So, they have to close parts of the system to make repairs...fine.

The problem with PATH is they could do more, but they choose not to. There is too much time between buses and they are packed. The solution? Run more buses. However PATH will choose not to do this.

Uh... wha?

This was literally the first weekend they did this, and iirc they did far less when the WTC tunnel was closed. (Note, the 33rd line gets a lot more weekend traffic than WTC).

You might want to wait more than 5 minutes before getting bitter and pessimistic about it.

Quote:
Have you ever ridden the 33rd to JSQ train around 8pm?

Yes, of course. I don't recall it being a total disaster.

Quote:
Does PATH care? No. Could they run trains more frequently than 10-12 minutes apart? Yes. Will they do it? No.

Resized Image

Quote:
I don't think the answer is to "deal with it."

Or, maybe it is.

Sorry, but so far none of this sounds like a total disaster. Getting buses right on the first try is seldom easy. Spacing trains 10 minutes apart at 8PM is hardly fiendish or incompetent. It's about the same as pretty much every other public system I've ever used.

And y'know what? A lot of those systems don't run 24/7, have higher fares, older cars, and/or are in much worse shape. Read up on the DC Metro at all lately? Ever try to get from Berkeley to SF after 2AM? Perhaps been on the Boston T after a Red Sox game? Taken the bus from Port Authority to Hoboken late on a Saturday night?

Posted on: 2016/8/8 21:18

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/10/9 2:11
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/8/8 21:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:

You don't think foot traffic increases sales?

Posted on: 2016/8/8 19:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mastablasta wrote:
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Quote:

mastablasta wrote:
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
There was a long line at WTC just to get a stupid voucher to get on the shuttle bus. I had to get to work and life is too short. I just sucked it up and paid the $2.75 subway fare to get to Midtown. Get over it. I think most people will simply come to the conclusion that it's far less painful to cough up the subway fare. It's not like you're being forced to do this on weekdays. The shitty part isn't having to pay the extra fare, but figuring out which subway lines are operating on weekends because the MTA also has a boatload of service disruptions.

There are few phrases in the English language more obnoxious than "get over it."

And I can't believe anyone would let a $2.75 subway fare ruin their weekend plans and then complain about it. Buses, even in the best of circumstances, will always be far slower than subways and carry far fewer people. Seriously, did people actually think these magic buses would actually be a sufficient substitute for the speed and efficiency of underground transport? My doctor's offices are around 1st Ave., and I've noticed I can usually WALK faster than the crosstown bus.

Well, maybe some people paying $2.75 each way ($5.50 per day) cuts into their budget. It may seem like chump change to you, but for others...not so much.

It's not every day. It's two days out of the week - so $11. I have a lot of sympathy if it's someone making minimum wage having to get to/from work. But let's face it, that's probably not the demographic that's kvetching on JC List. The JC List demographic is one that is preoccupied with the type of bar that opens up downtown or the design of a parking deck at Whole Foods. Chances are they were going into Manhattan to play and if you have the means to spend leisure time/dollars in Manhattan, $5.50 round trip is nothing. It won't even buy a cocktail.

First of all, I'm amazed on how much you can tell about the rest of us on this site. I guess in your logic, people on this site and too poor to login and express their concerns. There are people who ride the PATH and adding an extra fare does adversely affect their cash flow. I guess they should just "deal with it". Maybe you should just look around at your fellow riders and see how many of them this could be affecting. Just because you dismiss them doesn't make it untrue.

I wasn't just looking at my fellow riders, we were talking to each other trying to figure out the best way to get to work with half the subway lines being out of commission at Fulton Street this weekend. Anybody who had a job to get to this weekend "dealt with it," because shit like this happens in life. No way was anybody going to risk being late and getting docked pay because they relied on the Port Authority's magic bus, and complaining on JC List isn't going to get anyone to care. And many people who commute daily already have a monthly pass, so the financial impact was nil.

Posted on: 2016/8/8 19:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/8/8 18:35

« 1 ... 7 8 9 (10) 11 12 13 ... 60 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017