Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
122 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 122

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: He lost on red light cameras, now Whizzy wants to nail you for drinking coffee in your car
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
With more motorist having dash cams, some people that cause accidents are running the risk of having insurance companies void their claim and be forced to fork out for all the damage caused out of their own pocket. They could also run the risk of much higher premiums for cover after being caught as a 'distracted' driver offender.

Driving needs 100% focus and concentration unless you want to drive on a private road like a jack-ass

Posted on: 2016/8/16 0:03
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Re: He lost on red light cameras, now Whizzy wants to nail you for drinking coffee in your car
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Is there no end to this idiocy?

http://www.nj.com/traffic/index.ssf/2 ... iver_mobileshort_home_pop

Today on my short stroll to Patsey's for lunch and the library I saw two cars sail right through stop signs - one on Central Avenue and Zabriske Street - practically spitting distance from the Police Station - the other by P.S. 8.

If there was a snowball's chance New Jersey drivers could be trusted to obey traffic laws, than I would agree with you that it's over-reach, nanny-state mentality, at best unnecessary. But from what I see, any constraint that can be placed on drivers in this state is absolutely necessary.

So your solution for cars blowing through stop signs isn't to enforce existing laws but to enact knew ones because "any constraint that can be placed on drivers in this state is absolutely necessary"? Seriously?

Posted on: 2016/8/15 21:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bill wrote:
Quote:

equ wrote:
They don't keep creeping like auto transmissions, their default is stopping not going.

Manuals don't creep forward but often creep backward, more so on a hill.

As someone that own's manual transmission vehicles, they creep forward or backward depending on the incline.

Regardless, people often forget that driving is a privilege and not a right. As such, these laws are just more laws to keep people in line.

Posted on: 2016/8/15 18:45
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Something for Fulop and those that think distracted driving isn't a issue and should not be an illegal act.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu2nrYow-KU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfknB9CZiA8

http://www.hrmvideo.com/catalog/dange ... -about-distracted-driving

...and you think another law that will never be enforced for it's intended purpose is the way to go?

The benefit would be that a law is in place, so when we have a proactive Mayor and PD Management, they'll be able to enforce the code. It also allows other PD's within the County or State to enforce them who understand how it reduces the road toll and changes driving habits of the ignorant.

You mean like those ignorant DWB and DWP folks?

Posted on: 2016/8/14 5:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Something for Fulop and those that think distracted driving isn't a issue and should not be an illegal act.

...and you think another law that will never be enforced for it's intended purpose is the way to go?

The benefit would be that a law is in place, so when we have a proactive Mayor and PD Management, they'll be able to enforce the code. It also allows other PD's within the County or State to enforce them who understand how it reduces the road toll and changes driving habits of the ignorant.

Posted on: 2016/8/13 23:54
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Is there no end to this idiocy?

http://www.nj.com/traffic/index.ssf/2 ... iver_mobileshort_home_pop

Today on my short stroll to Patsey's for lunch and the library I saw two cars sail right through stop signs - one on Central Avenue and Zabriske Street - practically spitting distance from the Police Station - the other by P.S. 8.

If there was a snowball's chance New Jersey drivers could be trusted to obey traffic laws, than I would agree with you that it's over-reach, nanny-state mentality, at best unnecessary. But from what I see, any constraint that can be placed on drivers in this state is absolutely necessary.

Posted on: 2016/8/13 20:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:

Posted on: 2016/8/12 13:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/8/12 1:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SOS wrote:
What will these politicians think of next? Outlaw steering a car with your feet?

Whizzy proved he's a complete and utter moron on this one.

Thread closed.

Posted on: 2016/8/12 1:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
What will these politicians think of next? Outlaw steering a car with your feet?

Posted on: 2016/8/11 20:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

equ wrote:
They don't keep creeping like auto transmissions, their default is stopping not going.

Manuals don't creep forward but often creep backward, more so on a hill.

Posted on: 2016/8/11 19:51

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/21 20:09
Group:
Registered Users
Manual or not is an aside to the main thread, so I don't want to distract further.. However, I'm almost positive manual cars (while more inconvenient in traffic) are safer. They don't keep creeping like auto transmissions, their default is stopping not going. Your gear controls your speed, you get more disconnected in an automatic transmission so the above points are moot. Someone learning a manual, for a few days, may have trouble smoothly starting, especially on hills. That hardly endangers much, usually just an embarrassment only.

Posted on: 2016/8/11 19:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bill wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Have to be the dumbest thing I've heard - If you drive a manual car you're more focused on the act of driving; you're totally engaged with the movement of the vehicle, the road and the speed to make correct decisions when cornering and in traffic ... you're always thinking about the road conditions.

Yes, ONCE you are proficient at it, I've seen many people learning manual who look down at the shifter because they don't know where to go. I would say this is the most dangerous because not only is the driver not looking at the road, the car's speed is unpredictable.

Same thing with distracted driving, people get better at changing the radio station, drinking, smoking while driving...

Do you have any research to back up your claim or is it just something that you believe to be true? Interesting theory.

Posted on: 2016/8/10 14:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Have to be the dumbest thing I've heard - If you drive a manual car you're more focused on the act of driving; you're totally engaged with the movement of the vehicle, the road and the speed to make correct decisions when cornering and in traffic ... you're always thinking about the road conditions.

Yes, ONCE you are proficient at it, I've seen many people learning manual who look down at the shifter because they don't know where to go. I would say this is the most dangerous because not only is the driver not looking at the road, the car's speed is unpredictable.

Same thing with distracted driving, people get better at changing the radio station, drinking, smoking while driving...

Posted on: 2016/8/10 13:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

bill wrote:
Manual cars should also be banned. It is too complicated/difficult to use a clutch and shift gears as you are left with only 1 hand on the wheel.

Changing the radio station is just as distracting as most other activities.

Instead of more regulation, just make the driving test for a license closer to real life. There should be a section for safe distracted driving.

100% on point.

As a society, we have become risk averse to a ludicrous degree. The idea that we can legislate human behavior in a vacuum devoid of common sense is sheer stupidity, and impractical, but it can lead to unintended consequences. It also has a deleterious effect on society in that these laws and attitudes make people even more fearful and risk averse.

As bill points out above, using the logic put forth by those in support of this law, driving a manual transmission car should be banned as well, or even listening to the radio or speaking to a fellow passenger. Stop the madness. We are not as fragile or feeble as some would have you believe.

Have to be the dumbest thing I've heard - If you drive a manual car you're more focused on the act of driving; you're totally engaged with the movement of the vehicle, the road and the speed to make correct decisions when cornering and in traffic ... you're always thinking about the road conditions. It's why a racing car driver is so focused on his job and is at one with the vehicle.

Boy, some people are dumb on this subject with most, if not all other western nations, having legislation to mitigate distracted driver behaviors to reduce their road tolls.

Posted on: 2016/8/10 12:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bill wrote:
Manual cars should also be banned. It is too complicated/difficult to use a clutch and shift gears as you are left with only 1 hand on the wheel.

Instead of more regulation, just make the driving test for a license closer to real life. There should be a section for safe distracted driving.

100% on point.

As a society, we have become risk averse to a ludicrous degree. The idea that we can legislate human behavior in a vacuum devoid of common sense is sheer stupidity, and impractical, but it can lead to unintended consequences. It also has a deleterious effect on society in that these laws and attitudes make people even more fearful and risk averse.

As bill points out above, using the logic put forth by those in support of this law, driving a manual transmission car should be banned as well, or even listening to the radio or speaking to a fellow passenger. Stop the madness. We are not as fragile or feeble as some would have you believe.

Posted on: 2016/8/10 12:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
Friend of mine once got a ticket for driving while eating a bowl of fruit loops - milk, spoon and all. Steering with his knees.

I support that ticket - it was really dumb in a classic dumb ass kind of way. But we don't need a new set of laws.

Posted on: 2016/8/9 18:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
I saw a young female at the wheel driving while putting on eye makeup. I don't know whether this bill should pass, but people are definitely distracted on the road.

Posted on: 2016/8/9 15:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MDM wrote:
At some point government makes so many laws we all become criminals.

This bill reminds me of the law now requiring pets be in carrier when in the car. I had to break that one repeatedly. My cat would panic if in a carrier. Out of the carrier, she slept soundly in the passenger seat foot well on a cushion.

Are both the laws really necessary? Do we have large numbers of drivers hurtling off embankments, exploding into great balls of carnage, and fire all because they took a sip of coffee?

I find this falls under the "don't be an asshole" type of law, the kind meant to enforce common sense in the portion of people who can't or won't use theirs. Haven't you ever seen some idiot driving with their pooch in their lap hanging their head out the driver's side window? Well, you need a law to ticket these idiots, because that certainly impairs their driving.

My classic example of these laws is "no alcohol in the campground" of State Parks. They don't really care if I quietly drink a beer, what they care about is that I'm not a drunken asshole disturbing the peace.

Posted on: 2016/8/9 15:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/8/9 15:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Yes, NJ has existing laws for texting and using a cell phone.

What's that have to do with drinking coffee or taking a sip of water?

(And I'd love to see strict enforcement of cell phone ticketing).

To drive a car with safety, you need two hands (or with a special device for those with a disability). Your eyes are taken off the road when picking up your cup and placing it down, not to mention you could spill it on your lap for those who are clumsy. I don't want any member of my family or friends being killed or injured by some dumb ass more focused on a stupid coffee then the road.

I hope they introduce every or any law associated with safer driving and book every dumb ass who thinks being distracted from driving is ok - if it only saves 1 life.

I could make the same argument for conversations with passengers. TALKING IN A CAR SHOULD BE ILLEGAL

Posted on: 2016/8/9 14:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
FACTS AND STATS ON DISTRACTED DRIVERS

http://www.distraction.gov/stats-rese ... facts-and-statistics.html

FULOP IS IGNORANT ON THIS ISSUE - GO DO SOME HOMEWORK FULOP - Maybe the next governor of NJ should be Bayonne Assemblyman Nick Chiaravalloti

I'm sure in Canada the people there and the national legislators don't have two heads and walk on their hands to understand the seriousness of the matter, yet our Mayor doesn't !

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cycp-cpcj/dd-dv/index-eng.htm#def

Get real... None of the facts and statistics quoted in that site include hard numbers about accidents because of someone drinking coffee. They just lumped that category into a long list of distractions but never bothered to back it up with numbers.

Are lots of people really getting into accidents because of drinking coffee while driving?? And, doing so at such alarming rates that a new law impinging on rights and freedoms is necessary!?

Obviously, the answers are no, and no.

Posted on: 2016/8/9 11:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I'm glad, because the bill is ridiculous, but do you know if Wisniewski is allied with Sweeney?

I don't trust Fulop to make a single political move because he genuinely thinks it's the right thing to do; every position is calibrated towards his governor run.

Posted on: 2016/8/9 1:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
FACTS AND STATS ON DISTRACTED DRIVERS

http://www.distraction.gov/stats-rese ... facts-and-statistics.html

FULOP IS IGNORANT ON THIS ISSUE - GO DO SOME HOMEWORK FULOP - Maybe the next governor of NJ should be Bayonne Assemblyman Nick Chiaravalloti

I'm sure in Canada the people there and the national legislators don't have two heads and walk on their hands to understand the seriousness of the matter, yet our Mayor doesn't !

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cycp-cpcj/dd-dv/index-eng.htm#def

Posted on: 2016/8/8 23:51

Edited by fat-ass-bike on 2016/8/9 0:12:37
Edited by fat-ass-bike on 2016/8/9 0:15:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/8/8 22:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

Personally, I see this as an extension of the nanny state mentality that permeates so much of this area.

+1.

Surprised the ACLU and BLM haven't already raised the DWB issue.

Yup, lighting up a smoke would be a reason for a cop to pull someone over-distracted driving offense!

Posted on: 2016/8/8 22:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

papadage wrote:
The law does not require crates or carriers. A simple leash is enough.

Christie Says No 'Stupid' Dog Seat Belt Law for New Jersey

My understanding is that it is up to the discretion of the officer.

Here is an excerpt from a USA Today article I found online just now:

In New Jersey, under state law, NJSPCA officers can stop a driver they believe is improperly transporting an animal. Tickets range from $250 to $1,000 per offense, and a driver can face a disorderly person's offense under animal-cruelty laws.

Taken from here: http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/n ... restraint-laws/55384736/1

Posted on: 2016/8/8 19:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

papadage wrote:

Christie Says No 'Stupid' Dog Seat Belt Law for New Jersey

Posted on: 2016/8/8 16:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

Personally, I see this as an extension of the nanny state mentality that permeates so much of this area.

+1.

Surprised the ACLU and BLM haven't already raised the DWB issue.

Posted on: 2016/8/8 16:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2016/8/8 16:27

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017