Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
71 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 71

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Buses from DTJC through Holland tunnel to lower Manhattan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

kencares wrote:
This is a great idea and would not be difficult at all. It would take just a few cones and some help from the PAPD. In the evening, buses could have a dedicated lane south on Hudson from Canal, entering the south side of the tunnel via Laight St, and then cross back over when they reach Marin.

In the mornings, busses could turn off Marin, sticking to the south wall again, and turn off at Hudson.

It's a feasible and cheap solution to increase the use of public transit and take a load off the PATH.

The only concern would be if the tunnel is wide enough for 2-way traffic.

Agreed that it IS doable, but not sure that I agree that it "would not be difficult at all". The NYC to JC portion should be workable pretty much the same way you laid it out, but the JC to NYC traffic could get really hairy because you would have buses crossing the 9 lanes of traffic heading into the city during the morning. The traffic backup into the residential streets of DTJC could get epic. As it is, traffic on Marin boulevard gets a little crazy in the mornings. You start adding tens or hundreds of busses and this could get messy.

As far as width, I think it could work, but it would get a little tight. The Holland tunnel roadway is a little narrower than the roadway of the Lincoln tunnel. The other concern would be what would happen during an emergency: the Holland tunnel consists of two tubes, which limits alternate options. The Lincoln tunnel has three tubes and their use can be rearranged, as needed. If you look into the accident stats, or if you ever listen to 1010 WINS during commute hours, accidents and incidents in the Lincoln Tunnel are commonplace...

Posted on: 2016/8/4 20:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Given that there is still an open lawsuit by JC to the Port Authority I'm not seeing this happen anytime soon.

Posted on: 2016/8/4 19:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/28 15:11
Group:
Registered Users
This is a great idea and would not be difficult at all. It would take just a few cones and some help from the PAPD. In the evening, buses could have a dedicated lane south on Hudson from Canal, entering the south side of the tunnel via Laight St, and then cross back over when they reach Marin.

In the mornings, busses could turn off Marin, sticking to the south wall again, and turn off at Hudson.

It's a feasible and cheap solution to increase the use of public transit and take a load off the PATH.

The only concern would be if the tunnel is wide enough for 2-way traffic.

Posted on: 2016/8/4 18:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Hero, did you take a look on google maps? Do you know what egress/ingress mean?

Posted on: 2016/8/4 18:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hamhock wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
with everyone talking about path reaching saturation, i was wondering if perhaps jc should find a way to allow buses to run direct routes from dtjc (near newport) through the holland tunnel, with dedicated lanes during rush hour.

also, i frequently notice that there seldom is much traffic using the outbound tunnel from manhattan to jc during morning rush hour, and vice versa for evening rush hour. why not dedicate 1/2 of underutilized tunnels to buses.

The tunnel ingress/egress on the NYC side are separated and the feeder lanes are configured in such a way that would make that currently impossible.
i'm no einstein, don't even own car but why is it impossible from the nyc side? i don't doubt you but i want to better understand the problem.

why couldn't those buses arrive/depart from a block right next to the holland tunnel with that little holland tunnel area?

Posted on: 2016/8/4 17:39

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/6 16:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
with everyone talking about path reaching saturation, i was wondering if perhaps jc should find a way to allow buses to run direct routes from dtjc (near newport) through the holland tunnel, with dedicated lanes during rush hour.

also, i frequently notice that there seldom is much traffic using the outbound tunnel from manhattan to jc during morning rush hour, and vice versa for evening rush hour. why not dedicate 1/2 of underutilized tunnels to buses.

The tunnel ingress/egress on the NYC side are separated and the feeder lanes are configured in such a way that would make that currently impossible.

Posted on: 2016/8/4 17:31

Buses from DTJC through Holland tunnel to lower Manhattan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/8/4 16:45

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017