Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
117 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 117

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Lawyer - Writing a Will
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/7 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the suggestions - @gotothecorner, I'm on the same page with you here...would rather pay for a professional and address estate planning, custody issues, etc.
I also appreciate the funeral directives as the will docs cannot be immediately accessible.

A father of my daughter's grade school classmate was dressing for his workday a few weeks ago and suddenly died. Another dad we know was driving to the beach, pulled over to phone his wife (complaining of chest pain) and died suddenly in the car.

No one thinks that it can happen to them - I'll feel better once these docs are in place.

Posted on: 2016/8/5 17:33

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/5 15:36
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
An estate plan (including disability documents) is really necessary for a family to (1) avoid expensive court proceedings down the road and (2) make sure assets on your death are distributed to the correct beneficiary in the most tax efficient manner.

You would be doing a disservice to your family and/or intended beneficiaries by using legal zoom or an online will provider (unless you have a small estate and everything passes to one person, but even then, there are benefits to an estate plan). I think its the perfect example of penny wise, pound foolish.

I would generally avoid a general practitioner that uses the same boilerplate Will and disability documents for every client and seek out an estate planning attorney who will make the best recommendation personally tailored to your situation. It costs more (estate plans can start off around $800 and go into the tens (or hundreds) of thousands) but its worth the expense to have it done right.

Quote:

jerseymom wrote:

Remember, your will should also outline what your final wishes are in terms of the disposition of your remains - burial (where/how?)/cremation/cemetery choice/organ donation/etc.

This is wrong. Tell whomever you think will be responsible for your burial and write it down for their instruction.

Wills generally are not immediately available when the decedent dies and when that decision needs to be made. Further, a will cannot be admitted to probate, and an executor cannot therefore be appointment, until 10 days after the decedent's date of death. The decedent will be buried/cremated/etc before that happens.

Posted on: 2016/8/5 15:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

BobNesta wrote:
You should also have a health care proxy and a power of attorney (aka living will) for when you don't die but are too incapacitated to make decisions.

Your "advanced directive" is extremely important - good advice. However, you do need to consult with a few people close in your personal circle and let them know where this document exists and how to obtain it in the time of a medical crisis. It doesn't matter what your personal wishes are if you cannot find the document that legally outlines them - they can be vetoed by a family member if the directions were only verbal/cannot find the document to present to the healthcare facility.

You must be extremely specific in your document outlining your wishes/needs. LegalZoom.com does counsel in this area as well.
I believe they provide a wallet card to electronically access these materials with a password.

Remember, your will should also outline what your final wishes are in terms of the disposition of your remains - burial (where/how?)/cremation/cemetery choice/organ donation/etc.

It's uncomfortable to think about - but really necessary.

Posted on: 2016/8/5 12:50

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/6 18:15
From DT
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
If your case is not so complicated, try LegalZoom.com. They walk you through the process step-by-step and then mail you a copy of your will to be notarized. You can store it - and update it any time you want. The cost is extremely reasonable and I was happy with the outcome.

Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, you'll actually never know the outcome.

Posted on: 2016/8/5 12:44

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/6 18:15
From DT
Group:
Registered Users
You should also have a health care proxy and a power of attorney (aka living will) for when you don't die but are too incapacitated to make decisions.

Posted on: 2016/8/5 12:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
You'd be surprised how many people don't have a will. If your case is not so complicated, try LegalZoom.com. They walk you through the process step-by-step and then mail you a copy of your will to be notarized. You can store it - and update it any time you want. The cost is extremely reasonable and I was happy with the outcome. You do need to update it as situations warrant - especially with the care of your child if both you and your spouse should (God forbid) pass away while your child is still a minor.

Good luck!

Posted on: 2016/8/4 21:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HamiltonParker wrote:
Hi - so I have a husband, house & kid but no will. I know, I know, don't judge! NPR had a piece regarding this topic and it jolted me into action. Would greatly appreciate any referrals to a good attorney. Also, how much should I expect to pay? Thanks.

After you write your will don't file it away and forget about it. You should review it and update it every 5-10 years. We aquire things as we move though life that should be included and accounted for, such as houses, investments, kids etc.

Posted on: 2016/8/4 14:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
I was happy with Vince Vyzas. His office is in Kearny and his number is (201) 991-0584. I believe he also has another office in Brooklyn if that's more convenient.

Posted on: 2016/8/4 14:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/18 14:36
Group:
Registered Users
Call Paul Venino in North Bergen. (201) 861-0100. He's really good.

Posted on: 2016/8/4 14:10

Lawyer - Writing a Will
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/7 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Hi - so I have a husband, house & kid but no will. I know, I know, don't judge! NPR had a piece regarding this topic and it jolted me into action. Would greatly appreciate any referrals to a good attorney. Also, how much should I expect to pay? Thanks.

Posted on: 2016/8/4 13:28

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017