Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
70 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 70

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 18 19 20 (21) 22 23 24 ... 27 »

Re: Republican Convention
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/22 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
I disagree. I believe the schedule will hurt him and the debates should be rescheduled at agreed upon times by all canidates. I would not be surprised if it was intentional did you not witness the antics of the DNC? If Trump then finds a reason to back out I would have to agree with you.

Posted on: 2016/8/3 20:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

135jc wrote:
He has no chance without the debates. They are his golden ticket.

But it looks like he doesn't want to debate and the reasons that he gave for the debate dates being unacceptable...blaming that it on Clinton/NFL, more fodder for negative attack ads against Trump. This is a stunningly bizarre situation.

Posted on: 2016/8/3 16:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
He has no chance without the debates. They are his golden ticket.

Posted on: 2016/8/3 15:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/8 21:51
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/senior ... p-drops/story?id=41089609

Senior GOP Officials Exploring Options if Trump Drops Out

Quote:

Republican officials are exploring how to handle a scenario that would be unthinkable in a normal election year: What would happen if the party's presidential nominee dropped out?

ABC News has learned that senior party officials are so frustrated -- and confused by Donald Trump's erratic behavior -- that they are exploring how to replace him on the ballot if he were to drop out.

So, how would it work?

First, Trump would have to voluntarily exit the race. Officials say there is no mechanism for forcing him to withdraw his nomination. (Trump has not given any indications that he no longer wants to be his party's nominee).

Then, it would be up to the 168 members of the Republican National Committee to choose a successor, though the process is complicated.

One Republican legal expert has advised party officials that, for practical reasons, Trump would have to drop out by early September to give the party enough time to choose his replacement and get the next nominee's name on the ballot in enough states to win.

Here is what the RNC's bylaws say about filling a vacancy on a presidential ticket:

RULE NO. 9 Filling Vacancies in Nominations

(a) The Republican National Committee is hereby authorized and empowered to fill any and all vacancies which may occur by reason of death, declination, or otherwise of the Republican candidate for President of the United States or the Republican candidate for Vice President of the United States, as nominated by the national convention, or the Republican National Committee may reconvene the national convention for the purpose of filling any such vacancies.

(b) In voting under this rule, the Republican National Committee members representing any state shall be entitled to cast the same number of votes as said state was entitled to cast at the national convention.

(c) In the event that the members of the Republican National Committee from any state shall not be in agreement in the casting of votes hereunder, the votes of such state shall be divided equally, including fractional votes, among the members of the Republican National Committee present or voting by proxy.

(d) No candidate shall be chosen to fill any such vacancy except upon receiving a majority of the votes entitled to be cast in the election.

I don't think Trump will drop out from the race although it is conceivable that he is going to skip debates, blaming "rigged" system (Chicken! He sure sounds like a winner). I think that he lives in an alternate reality in which he is winning.

I didn't like Romney or McCain, but I never doubted their sanity. I seriously doubt Trump's sanity.

Posted on: 2016/8/3 15:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

135jc wrote:
Sos,. Do you have any proof of what you are saying or are you stating opinion as fact as so many here do.

No proof but look at his behavior over the last week. Are those the actions of a person that wants to win? I posted elsewhere on jclist the erosion to the Trump brand. The money that he's used for self funding the campaign is dwarfed by the decrease in earnings as a result of his run for POTUS. He's said recently that the election is rigged. I interpret that as trying to find a way out of the mess that he's gotten himself in.

Posted on: 2016/8/3 15:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire ... r.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Reports: Priebus ?Apoplectic,? Trump Aides ?Suicidal? After String Of Blunders

Quote:

Following a week of high-profile blunders, Donald Trump?s antics have left the chair of the Republican National Committee ?apoplectic? and his own aides ?suicidal,? according to several reports.

RNC Chair Reince Priebus was reportedly ?apoplectic? over Trump?s bucking the party line by refusing to back House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-WI) or Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) for re-election and called several of Trump?s staffers to voice his discontent, according to NBC's Katy Tur.

A longtime ally of top Trump staffer Paul Manafort also told CNBC?s John Harwood that Manafort is ?not challenging Trump anymore? and is ?mailing it in,? while the campaign staff is ?suicidal."

Top staffers "feel like they are wasting their time," on Trump's campaign, CNN reported.

NBC News? Peter Alexander tweeted that an anonymous source confirmed ?it?s all true? about Harwood?s reporting and that the situation is ?way worse than people realize.?

Jason Miller, a spokesman for the campaign, called Harwood's reporting on Manafort "completely erroneous."

"The idea that Paul Manafort is mailing it in is completely erroneous," Miller said in a statement to CNN. "Our campaign just finished up our strongest month of fundraising to date, we're adding talented and experienced staffers on a daily basis and Mr. Trump's turning out bigger, more enthusiastic crowds than Hillary Clinton ever could."

Kamikaze candidate is going to destroy everything in his way including his own party!

Posted on: 2016/8/3 15:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Sos,. Do you have any proof of what you are saying or are you stating opinion as fact as so many here do.

Posted on: 2016/8/3 15:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
so now gop leaders are exploring their options should trump suddenly quit the race! lol then mike pence would be the nominee!

I don't agree with Pence on nearly every issue, wouldn't vote for him, but he has experience and is competent. There is a real possibility that Trump will drop out of the race since it's causing irreparable harm to his businesses and that's basically all he give a shit about.

Posted on: 2016/8/3 14:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I could get behind a Pense Romney ticket. Remember when you on the board declared Romney the devil? Bet you long for those days.

Posted on: 2016/8/3 14:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
so now gop leaders are exploring their options should trump suddenly quit the race! lol then mike pence would be the nominee!

Posted on: 2016/8/3 14:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:

You progressive whackos amaze me.... these " right wing, conservative, gun loving, God fearing Republicans" who you have despised for years suddenly have become "rational and fair minded Republicans" who you fools now respect? ...

BigGuy I'm going to try to explain some things to you in a compassionate way. Judging from your writing style and the word choice I assume you're in your 70's so I'm cutting you some slack.

Party designations are becoming less relevant. I happen to be a Democrat but I vote for the best candidate regardless of party. In the past I've voted for Republicans, but never in a presidential election. User1111 is in the same boat as me pretty much, I assume. Most Republicans don't use Breibart and other extremist information sites as their primary source of news. Most Democrats don't listen to WBAI (that's a leftist/progressive radio station as described here). I bet you never heard of it. The positions that you and other Trump supporters share with us are extreme. This is a very sad election for real Republicans because the party has been sacked by Trump and he's not a Republican. People are finally getting the message that Trump is unfit to be POTUS. You are on the wrong side of history. But look at the bright side. If Clinton wins you'll have 4 years to rant against every action she takes. If Trump wins it will be the end of the GOP and maybe the end of the world as we know it.

Posted on: 2016/8/3 14:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
You are being a bit of a drama queen here.... the crowd applauded her & family, but booed her question. She was probably not a pro-trump fan to begin with because as she read her written question, she refereed to Trump only by his last name. Pence came back gave her proper respect and answered her question politely.

Quote:

hero69 wrote:
wow! military mom booed by trump supporters check out bbc

Posted on: 2016/8/3 1:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Republicans begin their out reach to minorities as seen on Twitter

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Co444NRUMAAXcXo.jpg

Posted on: 2016/8/3 0:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:

I just saw that, shameful. They are now screaming she is a plant. When did we become so trashy?

Posted on: 2016/8/3 0:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/8/3 0:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/02/politic ... n-donald-trump/index.html

Ex-top Christie aide backs Clinton over Trump

Quote:

Why are you coming out against Donald Trump?

"As someone who has worked to further the Republican Party's principles for the last 15 years I believe that we are at a moment where silence isn't an option. We are here today in part because as a party in the past we have remained silent when things have made us uncomfortable. Instead of speaking out against instances of bigotry, racism and inflammatory rhetoric whether it's been against women, immigrants or Muslims, we made a calculus that it was better to say nothing at all in the interest of politics and winning elections. For me, if our party has a future, we have to change that trajectory and lead by example.
"We have to stop thinking that winning at any cost is more important than governing principles. It should be the job of the Republican Party's nominee to set a tone worthy of being the leader of the free world and not give into our worst instincts. I don't care if it's good politics or not."

Why now? Was there a tipping point?

"I've been contemplating whether to say anything publicly for awhile. When you are used to being behind the scenes and speaking for someone else it doesn't come naturally. For me, I think that it's a culmination of watching Donald Trump purposely play to our worst instincts and fanning those flames. We can't survive as a party if we don't try to elevate the conversation and lead. If those of us who believe that Donald Trump shouldn't be President don't say anything, we are just part of the same problem."

Who will you vote for and why?

"I'm voting for Hillary Clinton in November and I'm voting for her because I don't believe it's enough to say you aren't for Donald Trump. My mom and dad were Republicans, but they didn't always vote Republican. There are times when principle trumps (no pun intended) party and we have to be okay with acknowledging that.

"I can certainly complain that the choices aren't great and I wish there were better options. But there aren't. So I can either exist in the real world and make a decision based on my actual choices or pretend I am in a fantasy. I chose the real world and I would encourage other Republicans to do the same."

How did you react to Trump's recent comments about the parents of the Muslim-American soldier who spoke at the Democratic convention?

"I wish I could say I'm shocked, but I'm not. Donald Trump has been a demagogue this whole time, preying on people's anxieties with loose information and salacious rhetoric, drumming up fear and hatred of the 'other.' Instead of trying anything remotely like unifying the country, we have a nominee who would rather pick fights because he views it as positive news coverage. It may make him media savvy, but it doesn't make him qualified or ready to be president.

"The President of the United States is charged with making some of the toughest decisions any human being should have to confront, including sending men and women to war and potentially death. We can't have a President who doesn't understand the very human ramifications of those decisions and is unable to show humility and empathy in the face of grieving parents."

Unlike Sally Bradshaw, who is a longtime adviser to Jeb Bush who has also said he won't vote for Trump, your former boss, Gov. Chris Christie, has not only endorsed Donald Trump, but consistently defended Trump and lobbied to be his vice president. How do you think he will feel about your decision?

"I believe Chris Christie was the best person to be the nominee and unfortunately, that didn't happen. My decision is my own and I know from working with the Governor that he has the utmost respect for people expressing their own opinions."

How long have you been a Republican and what would you say to other Republicans about why you are doing this?

"I've been a Republican since I grew up listening to my parents talk politics at the kitchen table. Two people who came from working class families, never went to college and managed to send their two daughters to college as firsts in both families. They believed in a Republican Party that preaches that in this country there is opportunity for you no matter where you come from, who your parents are or what you grew up with. They believed in working hard, free trade, a government that delivers basic services well and is there when hard work alone isn't going to cut it. They didn't care what goes on inside the four walls of your home. Today, we have a nominee who doesn't represent any of those basic principles and he is just a culmination of our misdirection over the last few decades."

I wonder who is next. Rational and fair minded Republicans (not some of the crazies), follow this woman and become a hero.

You progressive whackos amaze me.... these " right wing, conservative, gun loving, God fearing Republicans" who you have despised for years suddenly have become "rational and fair minded Republicans" who you fools now respect?

No wonder you people are so easily fooled by a presidential candidate who the FBI characterized politely as "untruthful"

Curious if HRC supports the military bombings in the Libyan war zone HRC/Obama created. Where are the protestors? If democrats are watching CNN/MSNBC, they would not even know about it.

Posted on: 2016/8/2 23:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/02/politic ... n-donald-trump/index.html

Ex-top Christie aide backs Clinton over Trump

Quote:

Why are you coming out against Donald Trump?

"As someone who has worked to further the Republican Party's principles for the last 15 years I believe that we are at a moment where silence isn't an option. We are here today in part because as a party in the past we have remained silent when things have made us uncomfortable. Instead of speaking out against instances of bigotry, racism and inflammatory rhetoric whether it's been against women, immigrants or Muslims, we made a calculus that it was better to say nothing at all in the interest of politics and winning elections. For me, if our party has a future, we have to change that trajectory and lead by example.
"We have to stop thinking that winning at any cost is more important than governing principles. It should be the job of the Republican Party's nominee to set a tone worthy of being the leader of the free world and not give into our worst instincts. I don't care if it's good politics or not."

Why now? Was there a tipping point?

"I've been contemplating whether to say anything publicly for awhile. When you are used to being behind the scenes and speaking for someone else it doesn't come naturally. For me, I think that it's a culmination of watching Donald Trump purposely play to our worst instincts and fanning those flames. We can't survive as a party if we don't try to elevate the conversation and lead. If those of us who believe that Donald Trump shouldn't be President don't say anything, we are just part of the same problem."

Who will you vote for and why?

"I'm voting for Hillary Clinton in November and I'm voting for her because I don't believe it's enough to say you aren't for Donald Trump. My mom and dad were Republicans, but they didn't always vote Republican. There are times when principle trumps (no pun intended) party and we have to be okay with acknowledging that.

"I can certainly complain that the choices aren't great and I wish there were better options. But there aren't. So I can either exist in the real world and make a decision based on my actual choices or pretend I am in a fantasy. I chose the real world and I would encourage other Republicans to do the same."

How did you react to Trump's recent comments about the parents of the Muslim-American soldier who spoke at the Democratic convention?

"I wish I could say I'm shocked, but I'm not. Donald Trump has been a demagogue this whole time, preying on people's anxieties with loose information and salacious rhetoric, drumming up fear and hatred of the 'other.' Instead of trying anything remotely like unifying the country, we have a nominee who would rather pick fights because he views it as positive news coverage. It may make him media savvy, but it doesn't make him qualified or ready to be president.

"The President of the United States is charged with making some of the toughest decisions any human being should have to confront, including sending men and women to war and potentially death. We can't have a President who doesn't understand the very human ramifications of those decisions and is unable to show humility and empathy in the face of grieving parents."

Unlike Sally Bradshaw, who is a longtime adviser to Jeb Bush who has also said he won't vote for Trump, your former boss, Gov. Chris Christie, has not only endorsed Donald Trump, but consistently defended Trump and lobbied to be his vice president. How do you think he will feel about your decision?

"I believe Chris Christie was the best person to be the nominee and unfortunately, that didn't happen. My decision is my own and I know from working with the Governor that he has the utmost respect for people expressing their own opinions."

How long have you been a Republican and what would you say to other Republicans about why you are doing this?

"I've been a Republican since I grew up listening to my parents talk politics at the kitchen table. Two people who came from working class families, never went to college and managed to send their two daughters to college as firsts in both families. They believed in a Republican Party that preaches that in this country there is opportunity for you no matter where you come from, who your parents are or what you grew up with. They believed in working hard, free trade, a government that delivers basic services well and is there when hard work alone isn't going to cut it. They didn't care what goes on inside the four walls of your home. Today, we have a nominee who doesn't represent any of those basic principles and he is just a culmination of our misdirection over the last few decades."

I wonder who is next. Rational and fair minded Republicans (not some of the crazies), follow this woman and become a hero.

Posted on: 2016/8/2 20:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
the ghost writer for trump's "art of the deal" had some unkind things to say about donald the dunce.

http://www.npr.org/2016/07/21/4869242 ... p-should-not-be-president

Of course Trump is threatening legal action!

Posted on: 2016/8/2 14:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
the ghost writer for trump's "art of the deal" had some unkind things to say about donald the dunce.

http://www.npr.org/2016/07/21/4869242 ... p-should-not-be-president

Posted on: 2016/8/2 2:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Unfortunately the US is headed in a direction where people feel its the government's job to take care of them. Then as in Europe that model implodes. At that point voters turn to conservative principals. It happened in NYC it happened in NJ and it might happen in this election.

Posted on: 2016/8/1 23:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Nice to see the Jersey City KKK branch has joined the conversation. This why you people will never, ever win.

Never ever? Even though it's a coin flip, right now? How does that make sense?

That genius also hasn't been paying attention to the state governor races nor the midterm elections of the past several years.

While the liberal media likes to pretend that everyone's on board with their agenda, they live in a bubble.

Posted on: 2016/8/1 22:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Nice to see the Jersey City KKK branch has joined the conversation. This why you people will never, ever win.

Never ever? Even though it's a coin flip, right now? How does that make sense?

Posted on: 2016/8/1 22:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/8/1 21:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/18 4:28
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
After exploiting his son's death for political purposes on a national stage, and then shamelessly giving interviews on stations around the country all weekend, now the Muslim father claims "we want to be out of this controversy."

Look out for some shady details to be revealed about this guy's past. Too late for him to back out.

http://dailycaller.com/2016/08/01/ant ... ys-in-tv-interview-video/

Wow. Every time it seems you can't get any lower, you pick up a shovel and dig deeper...

Posted on: 2016/8/1 21:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
After exploiting his son's death for political purposes on a national stage, and then shamelessly giving interviews on stations around the country all weekend, now the Muslim father claims "we want to be out of this controversy."

Look out for some shady details to be revealed about this guy's past. Too late for him to back out.

http://dailycaller.com/2016/08/01/ant ... ys-in-tv-interview-video/

Posted on: 2016/8/1 21:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

135jc wrote:
I'd like to know how someone who admittedly does not understand email and high tech doodads belongs in the White House?

http://www.cnet.com/news/trump-doesnt ... or-use-email-report-says/

Yeah, like Trump. He doesn't use or understand technology. Dictating tweet contents to an assistant doesn't count.

Posted on: 2016/8/1 20:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
ISIS Joins Donald Trump in Dishonoring Humayun Khan?s Sacrifice

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles ... ice.html?via=twitter_page

ISIS & Trump Team vs. Khans & America

Posted on: 2016/8/1 20:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I'd like to know how someone who admittedly does not understand email and high tech doodads belongs in the White House?

Posted on: 2016/8/1 20:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:
http://www.politico.com/magazine/stor ... rthy-welch-decency-214128

This patriotic Muslim American may end up in saving American democracy from terror of Trump.

I understand why people don't like Trump (I don't either).

But I'm surprised the Democrat fanboys haven't learned yet that the normal, politically correct rules don't apply to Trump or his fan base.

When he makes politically incorrect comments, it doesn't hurt him. It helps his campaign.

Posted on: 2016/8/1 20:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.politico.com/magazine/stor ... rthy-welch-decency-214128

Quote:

?Have you no sense of decency, sir, at long last? Have you left no sense of decency?? Those cutting words, delivered on national television, effectively ended the career of Senator Joe McCarthy. For four years, McCarthy had enjoyed a kind of immunity as he smeared anyone he pleased while on a national witch hunt for Communist sympathizers. But in the spring of 1954, during hearings on supposed infiltrators in the U.S. Army that were broadcast on the new medium of television, McCarthy casually sought to destroy a young lawyer at the firm of Joseph Welch, counsel to the Army, an esteemed Harvard-trained lawyer and fellow Republican. When McCarthy suggested the junior attorney had Communist sympathies, the courtly Welch sank his head in despair, then looked McCarthy in the eye and excoriated him with those immortal words. Tens of millions of new American TV viewers watched in fascination and horror. The senator from Wisconsin never recovered.

Such turning points are not always evident when they happen: When does a nation reach a moment in which even a popular demagogue who has enjoyed a seeming immunity from public condemnation?no matter what he says?goes too far? History doesn?t repeat itself, and Donald Trump has defied many predictions of his downfall in the past. But it?s possible we may just have witnessed his McCarthy moment, considering the criticism that has been heaped on the GOP candidate from all sides in the past few days since Khizr and Ghazala Khan, the Pakistani-born American parents of an Army captain killed in the line of duty in Iraq in 2004, appeared at the podium of the Democratic National Convention to honor their son and make the case against Trump for president.

Khizr Khan?s short speech electrified the convention. ?If it was up to Donald Trump,? Khan said, ?[our son] never would have been in America ... Donald Trump, you're asking Americans to trust you with their future. Let me ask you: Have you even read the United States constitution? I will gladly lend you my copy. In this document, look for the words 'liberty' and 'equal protection? of law. Have you ever been to Arlington Cemetery? Go look at the graves of brave patriots who died defending the United States of America. You will see all faiths, genders and ethnicities. You have sacrificed nothing and no one.?

As moving as Khan?s speech was, it?s what happened afterward that made the story explode. Trump, as is his wont whenever he is criticized, fired back at the Khans. In an interview, he oddly questioned why Ghazala Khan said nothing during the speech and implied that she may have not have been allowed to speak by her husband?a double hit on Muslims and women that only made Trump look worse when the mother later explained she simply couldn?t speak of her son Humayun without breaking down. Then Trump dug his own hole deeper. Asked by ABC?s George Stephanopoulos what sacrifices he, Trump, has made for his country, the GOP candidate appeared to compare Humayun Khan?s supreme sacrifice to ? job creation. ?I think I?ve made a lot of sacrifices. I?ve created thousands and thousands of jobs, tens of thousands of jobs,? Trump said. With some incredulity, Stephanopoulos responded: ?Those are sacrifices?? Trump casually answered: ?Oh sure, I think they?re sacrifices. I think when I can employ thousands and thousands of people, take care of their education, take care of so many things. Even in military, I mean I was very responsible, along with a group of people, for getting the Vietnam memorial in downtown Manhattan, which to this day people thank me for.?

Khizr Khan?s response was full of raw fury. Sounding very much like a latter-day Joseph Welch, he declared of Trump: "He has no decency. He has a dark heart." Like his speech at the convention, those comments went viral too.

Are these two moments in history comparable? The nature of public shaming has changed dramatically in the past 60-odd years. In June 1954, the term ?viral? had a very different meaning. And the nation appears to have become much more tolerant of outrageous speech. How much more tolerant is another question.

In that spring of 62 years ago, Senator Joe McCarthy, serving his second term as a Republican from Wisconsin, was arguably the most powerful political force in the United States. McCarthy had come to national prominence n 1950 when he charged that there were 200 known Communists who had infiltrated President Harry S. Truman?s State Department, and his subsequent investigations had morphed into a national hunt for Communist sympathizers. McCarthy and his committee were the leading edge of a ?Red Scare? that cast a national pall over free speech, led companies large and small to dismiss employees on even a whiff of former flirtation with left-wing politics, and fueled widespread fear that in turn deepened the Cold War. There were, of course, some genuine spies and sympathizers, but the thousands unfairly implicated far dwarfed those numbers.

In 1954, McCarthy raised the stakes dramatically, raising suspicions about the loyalties of senior officials in the U.S. Army. The Army?s chief counsel, Joseph Welch, was a deeply respected 63-year old lawyer from Boston and a partner at the most white-shoe of white-shoe firms, Hale and Dorr. The Army had hired Welch, a registered Republican, to represent the service against accusations leveled by McCarthy that the Army was soft on Communism.

What made the Army-McCarthy hearings that began in April 1954 different was television. They were the first prominent congressional hearings televised, and at a time when there were a few channels, people watched what was on. That meant that 20 million people tuned in, and by some estimates tens of millions more, which was a significant portion of the U.S. population at the time. And on June 9, they witnessed the studious Welch turn the hearings on their head.

Simply being mentioned during these hearings was enough in those years to ruin someone?s career and potentially expose them to legal action and ostracism. Welch, who had been sparring with McCarthy and his chief counsel Roy Cohn for weeks, was visibly appalled when McCarthy sought to sully the young lawyer at his firm. ?Until this moment, senator, I think I never really gauged your cruelty, or your recklessness," Welch said. "Little did I dream you could be so reckless and so cruel as to do an injury to that lad. It is, I regret to say, equally true that I fear he shall always bear a scar needlessly inflicted by you. If it were in my power to forgive you for your reckless cruelty, I would do so. I like to think I'm a gentle man, but your forgiveness will have to come from someone other than me ... You've done enough. Have you no sense of decency, sir, at long last? Have you left no sense of decency??

For the first time, the bully had been called out in public by someone with no skeletons in his proverbial closet, whose integrity was unquestionable, and whose motives were purely patriotic. The audience in the senate chamber burst into applause. Coverage of the event was wildly supportive of Welch, and sharply critical of McCarthy. Within weeks, he was forced to bring the hearings to a close. His speeches over the summer, once front page news, were delivered to an empty, pre-CSPAN, Senate chamber. McCarthy, who had enjoyed positive support of half the country in January 1954, saw that fall to the low 30s in subsequent polls. Within months, his one-time allies had deserted him, and in December he was overwhelming rebuked and censured by the Senate by a vote of 67-22.

McCarthy served two meaningless years more in the Senate before dying of alcohol poisoning at age 48.

The coming days will determine whether Donald Trump has, like Joe McCarthy, crossed over some invisible line of decency that even many voters who now support him can?t stomach. In many ways the controversy is similar to past moments when Trump has attacked innocent people?like the judge in his Trump University case, Gonzalo P. Curiel, whom Trump impugned for his ?Mexican heritage??and was condemned for it, but still managed to keep his standing in the polls. This time could be different?even from when Trump insulted Sen. John McCain's war service, declaring that McCain was no hero because he was only captured, although the Arizona senator withstood torture for four years. Many predicted Trump?s downfall then too, and it didn?t happen.

But now Trump has touched a kind of ethical third rail by attacking the unimpeachable, suffering parents of a dead hero?Capt. Khan was awarded the Bronze Star for his actions?and by cheapening the very idea of sacrifice for one?s country. And with just 98 days left until the election, the GOP candidate's campaign is consumed in another unnecessary controversy?perhaps the biggest one yet?and Trump is being condemned by leading figures in both parties. Many in the military, which has given Trump a lot of support, are also questioning whether Trump is fit to be president. ?I loathe Donald Trump with every fiber of my being,? one retired Army officer wrote on Facebook as the controversy took off. A group of Gold Star families organized by VoteVets.org wrote in an open letter published Monday: "When you question a mother's pain, by implying that her religion, not her grief, kept her from addressing an arena of people, you are attacking us. When you say your job building buildings is akin to our sacrifice, you are attacking our sacrifice." Brian Duffy, head of the 1.7-million-member Veterans of Foreign Wars, joined in, saying it was unacceptable for Trump to question the right of a Gold Star family member to exercise free speech. ?There are certain sacrosanct subjects that no amount of wordsmithing can repair once crossed,? Duffy said.

McCain himself on Monday issued his harshest rebuke of the GOP candidate yet. ?While our Party has bestowed upon him the nomination, it is not accompanied by unfettered license to defame those who are the best among us," McCain said. "I'd like to say to Mr. and Mrs. Khan: thank you for immigrating to America. We're a better country because of you. And you are certainly right; your son was the best of America, and the memory of his sacrifice will make us a better nation?and he will never be forgotten." Representative Mike Coffman of Colorado, a Republican who served in combat as a Marine and represents a swing district in the Denver suburbs, told The New York Times that Trump had disrespected American troops. ?Having served in Iraq, I?m deeply offended when Donald Trump fails to honor the sacrifices of all of our brave soldiers who were lost in that war,? Coffman said. Ohio Gov. John Kasich, who battled Trump in the primaries, also suggested the candidate had abused the Khan family: ?There?s only one way to talk about Gold Star parents: with honor and respect.?

Khizr Khan, meanwhile, has not let up in his counterattack on Trump. After he raised the stakes by asking senior Republican leaders, including House Speaker Paul Ryan and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, to condemn Trump, they remained silent for a day before McConnell delivered an indirect rebuke to Trump, saying in a statement Sunday: "Captain Khan was an American hero, and like all Americans, I?m grateful for the sacrifices that selfless young men like Capt. Khan and their families have made in the war on terror. All Americans should value the patriotic service of the patriots who volunteer to selflessly defend us in the armed services.?

Trump?s campaign has desperately tried to contain the damage, issuing a statement of its own describing Humayun Khan as a ?hero.? But the candidate himself battled on unrepentantly, tweeting on Sunday: ?I was viciously attacked by Mr. Khan at the Democratic Convention. Am I not allowed to respond? Hillary voted for the Iraq War, not me!?

Trump has brought to the forefront of our national debate a range of real issues that any president and any who are drawn to public service will need to grapple with: economic insecurity, the challenge of terrorism, the miasma of immigration law, the frayed state of race relations, and disgust with political and financial elites who have promised the moon and delivered most to themselves and little to the rest. Those issues demand attention. But Donald Trump has churned up a great deal of darkness, and his moment may just have passed. Or not.

This patriotic Muslim American may end up in saving American democracy from terror of Trump.

Posted on: 2016/8/1 20:16

« 1 ... 18 19 20 (21) 22 23 24 ... 27 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017