Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
134 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 134

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Re: JC monopoly mural on/in newark pedestrian plaza
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

The Monopology mural that Jersey City destroyed after two months cost it $2K

By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on August 06, 2016 at 9:34 AM

The city paid $2,000 to artist Gary Wynans for the Monopoly board mural on Newark Avenue that it ordered painted over after about two months.

The 33-foot Monopoly board, painted on the Downtown pedestrian plaza, was the subject of complaints from a police union, a group of city activists, a state assemblywoman and local artists before the city finally painted over it last week.

The Jersey Journal learned about the cost of the mural after filing a public-records request.

Read more:  http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... logy_mural_that_jers.html

Posted on: 2016/8/7 3:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

iGreg wrote:
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

foshizigity00 wrote:
@caj11 - you aren't very smart.

Care to elaborate? It remains fact that a state grant, coming from our state tax dollars was used to paint this mural, and part of that included a stipend paid to somebody who used to vandalize the city with his stupid graffiti no one wants to see. A criminal was rewarded, with our tax dollars, to paint this mural, while there are plenty of artists in Jersey City who never committed any crimes who could have painted the mural and been paid something for it. No, I am not one of them, nor do I have any that are friends or family, I've just met a few in passing and I know they can always use the work.

Yup, agreed (with Caj11).

Shepard Fairy was arrested many times before becoming an acclaimed 'recognized artist' who now runs a multi million dollar clothing and print company.

Dis Obey

Holla @ Yo Boyz

First of all, from what I understand about him, he established his business sometime after graduating the Rhode Island School of Design, long before he was ever arrested for street graffiti. Second, I'm not sure I'd consider him an ideal example of a reformed individual, given a lot of his work comes from copying other artists' work and never obtaining permission from or even acknowledging the real creators of the work.

Posted on: 2016/7/31 0:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

foshizigity00 wrote:

Care to elaborate? It remains fact that a state grant, coming from our state tax dollars was used to paint this mural, and part of that included a stipend paid to somebody who used to vandalize the city with his stupid graffiti no one wants to see. A criminal was rewarded, with our tax dollars, to paint this mural, while there are plenty of artists in Jersey City who never committed any crimes who could have painted the mural and been paid something for it. No, I am not one of them, nor do I have any that are friends or family, I've just met a few in passing and I know they can always use the work.

Shepard Fairy was arrested many times before becoming an acclaimed 'recognized artist' who now runs a multi million dollar clothing and print company.

Dis Obey

Holla @ Yo Boyz

Posted on: 2016/7/30 22:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

foshizigity00 wrote:

Posted on: 2016/7/30 0:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

foshizigity00 wrote:

Posted on: 2016/7/30 0:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
According to Claire Voon of Hyperallergic, Jersey City has painted over artist Gary Wynans?s public artwork, which the city?s public arts program commissioned in May.

Wynans, who also goes by the name Mr. AbiLLity, discovered on Monday that his larger-than-life, Jersey City?centric, Monopoly board mural, which was painted on Newark Avenue Pedestrian Plaza, was gone; in its place was a fresh coat of green paint.

Wynans?s design for the board game was chosen for the Jersey City Mural Program, which was established in 2013, after the artist posted his idea for the project on Facebook. The final work, however, did not reflect Mr. AbiLLity?s original vision for the piece. After residents started to complain about certain imagery on the board, the city forced the artist to change his work. Besides incorporating local street names and landmarks, the board game also revealed issues of gentrification in the developing city. The police department was angered over a square that showed an officer depicted as a pig and residents were angry over the tag ?cool statue? underneath an illustration of a statue memorializing the victims of the 1940 Katy? massacre. Other controversial squares included one that read ?gentrification tax? and the jail, which featured a dark-skinned man behind bars.

Brooke Hansson, director of the mural program, asked the artist to change the design, so the policeman became a Simpsons-like character, ?gentrification tax? became ?hipster tax,? and ?cool statue? was replaced with the name of the memorial. The artist explained that the man in jail was not a racial stereotype. It was actually supposed to be a self-portrait of the Italian and Puerto Rican artist. He added his signature to try and make the depiction clearer, but the city ended up painting it over saying that it received threats of funding cuts if the square was not changed. Hansson had also asked Wynans to include Charles & Co. on the board because the company sponsors the art program.

City spokeswoman Jennifer Morrill told The Jersey Journal that ?artwork painted on a public street is not permanent.? She added that the city had been planning to repaint the street for some time.

Amy Wilson, a Jersey City artist and School of Visual Arts professor, said that the mural program needs an open application process that seeks community input and a qualified committee to chose works to produce. Instead, she said, ?Artists are chosen through some sort of mysterious process. It?s overseen and run by a single employee in the Department of Public Works who does not have an art background, and the neighborhood has zero say as to whether they want a mural or what that mural will be of?it simply shows up one day.?

Morrill said that the city council hopes to establish a board made up of local artists for the mural program by September. She said the city will ?make sure there is a process in place? for selecting proposals for public artworks in the future.

Posted on: 2016/7/29 21:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/28 15:11
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DanL wrote:

and in tv news -

http://pix11.com/2016/07/27/jersey-ci ... TE6Lb7LYME2VCdnkNZB_gf9B3

sorry this cannot be imbedded.

Love the censored graffiti.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2016/7/29 20:41

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/22 19:28
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/7/29 20:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
It's a shame our state tax dollars (the funds came from a state grant) had to pay for this tacky mural, painted by someone who was arrested for painting graffiti in Jersey City before, yet still got paid a stipend for this (again, from our state tax dollars), and a shame our local tax dollars had to pay to cover it up.

Tax dollars hard at work people! While I suppose some tax dollars spent on artistic projects like these murals is fine, we should not be rewarding people who have vandalized the city. There are a lot of starving artists in Jersey City that are much more deserving of doing this work and getting a stipend for it than somebody who previously broke the law. If he wants to paint so badly he can work for a construction company and paint walls, just one color, with a paintbrush for a fair wage.

Posted on: 2016/7/29 19:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Someone (Terrence?) should file a FOIA about this to see all communication about the mural and its destruction. Yes it was crappy art on the street, but the way Steve Fulop and Brooke Hansson handled this was abysmal.

Posted on: 2016/7/29 18:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

and in tv news -

http://pix11.com/2016/07/27/jersey-ci ... TE6Lb7LYME2VCdnkNZB_gf9B3

sorry this cannot be imbedded.

Posted on: 2016/7/29 17:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/16 19:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ecoindie wrote:
his needs to be at Cultural Affairs handled by another person, that is familiar with artists in the city and a community input process, which mirrors what is done in cities like Philadelphia----NOT Brooke Hannson, who is in DPW.

FWIW, Hansson was an aide in the Mayor's Office when she was given this project. It just followed her when she went to Public Works.

But, yes, Cultural Affairs makes more sense.

Posted on: 2016/7/29 17:01

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/3 21:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ecoindie wrote:
The Problem with this program is that its located at Department of Public Works (DPW). This needs to be at Cultural Affairs handled by another person, that is familiar with artists in the city and a community input process, which mirrors what is done in cities like Philadelphia----NOT Brooke Hannson, who is in DPW.

Thanks for clarifying that. It seems really strange to have a project of this kind under Public Works--how does it even align? Garbage collection, recycling, road repair and, oh yeah, public art projects!? Do they think they're qualified to judge because they remove graffiti? Cultural Affairs should be taking the lead on this, with assistance from DPW where necessary.

Posted on: 2016/7/29 16:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Shame the artist was subjected to this bullshit,
goes totally against his right to free speech and free expression.

Censoring Art for political correctness - ugh fuk that......

Posted on: 2016/7/29 16:26

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/25 20:14
Group:
Registered Users
The Problem with this program is that its located at Department of Public Works (DPW). This needs to be at Cultural Affairs handled by another person, that is familiar with artists in the city and a community input process, which mirrors what is done in cities like Philadelphia----NOT Brooke Hannson, who is in DPW.

Posted on: 2016/7/29 15:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/1 0:23
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Why not mention the real estate developer by name in that story? Paul Silverman sucks.

Posted on: 2016/7/29 14:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/7/29 13:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/31 3:07
Group:
Registered Users
It's only free speech if King Steve and the Democrats say so. If it doesn't fit their agenda, you're SOL.

Posted on: 2016/7/27 2:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TheJSQuare wrote:
Just found this interview with the artist. Look what Brooke put him through! She's gotta go! No integrity at all.

NCAC: How did you get involved with the Jersey City mural program? How was your Monopoly board chosen? Did you have to change the original idea to fit the City?s requests?

GW: I had posted the [Jersey City] Monopoly drawing on Facebook, and Brooke [Hansson, Director of the Jersey City Mural Arts Program], who is in charge of the mural department at City Hall, said we should make it a mural. Of course I agreed! Knowing that the city was about to pay me to make this on a grand scale, I knew certain things would have to be changed. My thoughts were: the cop-as-a-pig sending me to jail would have to be altered, and the random weed references sprinkled throughout the board would probably have to be removed. I'm okay with that, because this had grown from a personal piece to a large-scale commission.

Upon meeting with Brooke, I had to change a few more things. I found this to be pretty silly, but the goal was to avoid people?s hypersensitivities. First thing that got the axe was the names of the projects. When I asked why, I was told ?it?s offensive to display the projects as a low income area,? as if the people living there don't know! I was told that putting Martin Luther King Drive (another low income area) next to the box with the Jail was insensitive, and I had to change the low-income squares from their original monopoly color of brown, because brown for the projects was insensitive. So they're purple now. Also, the term ?Gentrification Tax? would offend people, I was told. So I suggested calling it ?Hipster Tax,? and that was accepted.
Imo
I liked the mural but it belonged on the side of a building and not on the ground in a pedestrian area. Imo

Posted on: 2016/7/26 3:52

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/1 21:19
From JSQ
Group:
Registered Users
Just found this interview with the artist. Look what Brooke put him through! She's gotta go! No integrity at all.

NCAC: How did you get involved with the Jersey City mural program? How was your Monopoly board chosen? Did you have to change the original idea to fit the City?s requests?

GW: I had posted the [Jersey City] Monopoly drawing on Facebook, and Brooke [Hansson, Director of the Jersey City Mural Arts Program], who is in charge of the mural department at City Hall, said we should make it a mural. Of course I agreed! Knowing that the city was about to pay me to make this on a grand scale, I knew certain things would have to be changed. My thoughts were: the cop-as-a-pig sending me to jail would have to be altered, and the random weed references sprinkled throughout the board would probably have to be removed. I'm okay with that, because this had grown from a personal piece to a large-scale commission.

Upon meeting with Brooke, I had to change a few more things. I found this to be pretty silly, but the goal was to avoid people?s hypersensitivities. First thing that got the axe was the names of the projects. When I asked why, I was told ?it?s offensive to display the projects as a low income area,? as if the people living there don't know! I was told that putting Martin Luther King Drive (another low income area) next to the box with the Jail was insensitive, and I had to change the low-income squares from their original monopoly color of brown, because brown for the projects was insensitive. So they're purple now. Also, the term ?Gentrification Tax? would offend people, I was told. So I suggested calling it ?Hipster Tax,? and that was accepted.

Posted on: 2016/7/26 3:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/17 3:49
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
The nearly "secret" ESPO on the right hand side steel barrier on the tunnel approach was one of my all time favorite pieces. So subtle.

Posted on: 2016/7/25 21:30

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/1 21:19
From JSQ
Group:
Registered Users
Brooke is the same one that scared Steve "ESPO" Powers out of Jersey City by yelling in his face how he MUST paint a giant Jersey City logo.

Steve Powers is invited to paint all around the world and this idiot had no idea who he was, and was extremely disrespectful to him.

He decided not to come back to Jersey City.

Posted on: 2016/7/25 21:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/20 13:22
Group:
Registered Users
Has everyone lost their minds? It was a stupid art project that was eventually going to get worn away any how.

Posted on: 2016/7/25 19:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
From the National Coalition Against Censorship:

http://ncac.org/letters/jersey-city-p ... ter-allegations-of-racism

http://ncac.org/wp-content/uploads/20 ... Letter-to-Jersey-City.pdf
Quote:

Dear Mayor Fulop,

I am writing on behalf of the Arts Advocacy Program at the National Coalition Against Censorship. As an organization dedicated to promoting the First Amendment right to free speech, including freedom of artistic expression, we are troubled to learn of the series of arbitrary changes imposed by City officials on a public artwork commissioned for Jersey City, and especially by the censorship of the work and painting over part of it. We urge you to take the opportunity to learn from the mistakes made in this case and develop a public art policy for Jersey City.

It is our understanding that, in May, the Jersey City Mural Arts Program commissioned local artist Gary Wynans, aka Mr. AbiLLity, to create a 33-foot floor mural based on one of his existing works: a creative twist on the traditional Monopoly board game. Located on the busy pedestrian plaza at Newark Avenue, the mural replaces the game?s street names and other details with Jersey City street names and familiar local icons. The game?s focus on money and real estate is used to bring attention to income disparities and gentrification in real-life Jersey City.

The artist worked with Brooke Hansson, Director of the Jersey City Mural Arts Program, until a final design was agreed upon. Ms. Hansson demanded a number of modifications so as to avoid offense and controversy: for instance, she rejected the inclusion of the names of low-income housing projects and the mention of ?gentrification tax.? While those changes to the artist?s vision are troublesome, as they suppress key aspects of his message, even more troublesome are the series of modifications required after the mural was approved.

The element of the mural that became most controversial was the ?Jail? square representing the artist?s self-portrait, which some interpreted as representing a black man behind bars (Mr. Wynans is Italian and Puerto Rican). A number of residents, including state Assemblywoman Angela McKnight, said the image reinforced negative stereotypes of people of color and demanded that it be removed or changed. The City quickly yielded to those demands and painted over the image of the artist, leaving instead a blank orange square.

The City?s actions, based on what appear to be a series of subjective interpretations and individual complaints, raise serious First Amendment concerns. The practice of public officials using their power to arbitrarily remove elements of an artwork whose message some individuals do not like violates First Amendment principles. Government should not be forcing an artist, whose work they have selected for public installation, to modify their message so as to satisfy individual complainants. To do so would be to grant these individuals a heckler?s veto.

Indeed, while some may have found the representation of what appeared like a black man in the jail square offensive, others may have interpreted it as a critique of the racial biases of our criminal justice system. Respecting diversity does not mean suppressing everything that could potentially generate an objection. Indeed, given the fact that art is open to multiple, sometimes conflicting interpretations, such a standard would jeopardize the City?s entire Mural Arts Program.

Public art programs are a wonderful asset: they create a positive image of a city; they help development and give local artists expressive opportunities. However, public art by its very nature draws complaints and is exposed to controversy. For that reason we urge the City to develop a public art policy. We have seen how, in the current case, the lack of a clear public art selection and review process has forced the City to respond to complaints in an apparently arbitrary manner and censor the mural. This action is not only constitutionally suspect, it is also likely to put the City in a vulnerable position when other groups decide to complain about different works of public art: satisfying every complainant is likely to leave the whole program in shambles and create a negative image of the City as a censor.

We strongly suggest that, in the future, Jersey City puts in place a policy for the selection of art, as well as procedures for reviewing and responding to complaints consistent with First Amendment principles. We would also suggest that a review committee including local artists forms part of this process.

Sincerely,
Svetlana Mintcheva

Director of Programs
National Coalition Against Censorship New York

Time to fire Brooke Hansson before the next embarrassment to our city.

Posted on: 2016/7/25 19:35

Edited by kencares on 2016/7/25 19:51:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Kalen wrote:
I would not even call this a mural. It looks like a grade school project. It does nothing to enhance or beautify Newark Ave.

I've gotta agree. the "Monopoly Personalized for Your Town" was a gimmick sponsored by Parker Brothers in the early 90s (still have my Hong Kong set).

there were so many ways to make this interestingly city-specific, but the artist - and city - chose squares with PATH trains and street names. how daringly arty!

it is unoriginal in every conceivable category.

Posted on: 2016/7/25 18:07

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/5 14:23
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Pathetic

Posted on: 2016/7/25 17:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/12 22:36
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Mural is currently being painted over.

Posted on: 2016/7/25 17:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
It's still an ugly painting, but the city's handling of it is even uglier.

Quote:

On almost my final day out there, I ran into a fella named Paul. He asked me if I could put his name on the mural. I jokingly asked his name and said I'd add ?Paul Avenue? right away, and just continued to work. He stopped me again and said, ?No, I meant my company.? This guy wasn't joking! I told Paul that all the squares were already taken, and that City Hall had made the decisions quite some time ago. He then got on his phone for about ten minutes. Fifteen minutes later, Brooke called me. ?How can we incorporate ?Charles & Co.? on the board?? she asked me.

What the hell is ?Charles & Co.?? Well, apparently they're the company that has been building condos, and they help out the city with funding. Sponsored squares. Wow, is this what its come down to? I would have calmly explained what a terrible idea that is, but at this point the butting of heads had peaked and no rational discussion could take place. Paul got his square. Take a chance on Charles & Co. Know you know who's really in charge of your fine city. And my heart broke.

Is the "Brooke" that wanted him to change the painting to appease a developer the same "Brooke" that gave the Bostwick Ave rant? It's surprising that she's still in our city government.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvTksxjXkzQ

Posted on: 2016/7/25 13:31

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/23 7:20
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I would not even call this a mural. It looks like a grade school project. It does nothing to enhance or beautify Newark Ave. The fact that it's caused so much distraction and conversation shows that it was a bad idea. City resources should be put into other areas.

Posted on: 2016/7/24 14:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
JCMan8 wrote: Quote:
TonyTwoPoops wrote: Quote:
TonyTwoPoops wrote: Quote:
TonyTwoPoops wrote: How is everyone missing the best part? Must be nice to be Paul Silverman and have city hall always ready to kiss your ass and stroke your ego. On almost my final day out there, I ran into a fella named Paul. He asked me if I could put his name on the mural. I jokingly asked his name and said I'd add ?Paul Avenue? right away, and just continued to work. He stopped me again and said, ?No, I meant my company.? This guy wasn't joking! I told Paul that all the squares were already taken, and that City Hall had made the decisions quite some time ago. He then got on his phone for about ten minutes. Fifteen minutes later, Brooke called me. ?How can we incorporate ?Charles & Co.? on the board?? she asked me. What the hell is ?Charles & Co.?? Well, apparently they're the company that has been building condos, and they help out the city with funding. Sponsored squares. Wow, is this what its come down to? I would have calmly explained what a terrible idea that is, but at this point the butting of heads had peaked and no rational discussion could take place. Paul got his square. Take a chance on Charles & Co. Know you know who's really in charge of your fine city. And my heart broke. Wasn't Chicpea originally the one promoting this artist because she's oh so down with the art scene in JC? And now she has Silverman sponsoring her events? Sounds about right.
Why be sexist? You should be happy to see a fellow resident achieving commercial success from her passion.
Where do you see anything remotely sexist in the above statement? I'm pointing out the hypocrisy of claiming to be helping the Jersey City art scene while having the same person shitting all over it funding your events. Not that I expect a conservative right wing troll like yourself to see anything ethically or morally wrong with that.
She's a nice lady just trying to do her thing, yet you routinely shit all over her when she's mentioned. I'd say that's sexist, considering you can very easily just ignore her.
So where is the evidence of sexism? Can't wait to hear it! Is it because she's a woman so we need to treat her like a giant infant? Because it's actually you being sexist if you think she should be treated with kid gloves just because she's female.
You know full well what you are doing. She's never said anything bad about you, yet you just can't help yourself from digging into her whenever you get a chance.
One is a public figure, the other is not. Why so sexist against Hillary, bra?

Posted on: 2016/7/24 3:19

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017